HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pitkanen...hypothetical or reality?

Old
03-25-2007, 11:44 AM
metallicat

vCash: 500
Lupul, Torres, Smith, and Greene? No, that's too much. It may technically be worth it, but I think that is too many players to give up. I am especially not ready to give up on Lupul.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Rafters

The Oilers do not NEED a true #1 dman like Pronger,Lidstrom,Redden.....etc...the main thing holding the Oilers back is a lack of a power play....If we could acquire a top 4,ppqb kind of guy we would be set...Joni is that kind of guy with the potential to be more.....

Joni-Smith
Smid-Staios
Greene-Grebs
Gilbert
that is a solid 7 defence, not spectacular but have the pieces to get the job done...

Rafters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Matts

I think it's possible

and it might even be probable if they land Timmonen. That being said it seems like a move that would be made mid-season because once the summer comes and you sit back a little then you gain a little more perspective. And with that it might not look so smart to deal off a guy who looked awesome for a couple of years and possesses a skillset that rightly or wrongly has become super sexy in '07.

Then again maybe you build around Kimmo T and you're confident with all the other young guys and you decide you've got enough money put into D and goalie, assuming Biron comes back and for a long term, and you go balls first into building a forward corps.

And of course if you deal with the Oilers you're getting back Lupul or Torres, and I'd imagine it will be your choice, along with say Gilbert, Greene or Chorney.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethian 3 View Post
In looking at the Flyer's defensive dollar commitments for next year, and the fact that they are reportedly going to pursue Timonnen heavily in the offseason, could Pitkanen, who is an RFA, be expendable to them?

I realise this topic on this particular player has been brought up ad nauseum on these boards, but in examining our options for next year on D, I think he could be the answer. Yes, he could also be the answer for 29 other teams, so with that in mind, what could the Oil possibly offer the Flyers to pry him out of Philly?

The Flyers seem to be short on experienced forwards, but certainly have a bright future there with the likes of Carter, Richards, Upshall, and even Umberger. Could a Pisani or Horcoff help them?

I'm sure a pick, if not several, would also be added along with a prospect or two.

Anyway, what do YOU think the Flyers would demand from the Oilers for Joni Pitkanen? Feel free NOT to reply with comments such as "never going to happen".
It won't happen... We are rebuilding, that means we don't get rid of young players with LOTS of potential for old UFA's.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:53 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Do we want Pitkanen after this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5i6Is-yhxFU

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:26 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Yeah, that's the big N-O there good buddy.

Not a chance the Flyers do this.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Wolfpack

hemskyforpm, that is nasty....

I would like to see Lowe find a way to get Bouwmeester rather than Pitkanen.

As long as we could keep Jay away from Whyte Ave, we'd be made in the shade.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Deathamphetamine

I don't think they can get Pitkanin out of Philly. But, I do think they can possibly get either Roman Hamrlik, Brad Stuart, Tom Preissing, or Andy Sutton. But you never know, Lowe may end up throwing an offer sheet at Joni and really put the pressure on Flyers management.

Deathamphetamine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Soundwave

I'd make them an offer of

Any two of the following (their choice):

Stoll
Horcoff
Torres
Lupul
Cogliano
Pouliot
Pisani

(basically any two forwards but Hemsky)

+ Matt Greene + our 1st round pick

For

Pitkanen + Kukkonen + their 1st round pick

And maybe I would consider taking on Derian Hatcher's contract in such a move for say Gator on top of that. It's a fair trade, their choice depending on what direction they want to go. If they say no, you move on and look elsewhere, that's only one option.

But I don't really like the idea of making an offer sheet. Team's should stay away from doing that. Clarke isn't even their GM anymore. Make a fair offer for Joni, but forget about the offer sheet stuff. Not worth it if in 2-3 years they come back and throw an offer sheet at one of our RFAs.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
But I don't really like the idea of making an offer sheet. Team's should stay away from doing that. Clarke isn't even their GM anymore. Make a fair offer for Joni, but forget about the offer sheet stuff. Not worth it if in 2-3 years they come back and throw an offer sheet at one of our RFAs.
I don't understand why people are afraid of offer sheets. What's the big deal? It's not inflationary anymore because payroll is linked to revenue. All it means is that RFAs get paid the market rate instead of an artificially lowered price...

Uh oh, I forgot. These are the Oilers we're talking about. They don't pay market prices for good players. Heck, not even near market prices. You may have a point there.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Soundwave

If we got Pitkanen, he'd get an offer of $5 million at least for 5-6 years most likely (ala a Hemsky styled extension) ... the money is not the issue.

There's a difference between spending money and throwing offer sheets around.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote