HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Upcoming Kevin Prendergast Interview

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 09:05 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Upcoming Kevin Prendergast Interview

I am going to talk with Kevin Prendergast before 2004.

If you would like to post your questions to him for me you can do that here. Please keep in mind that the focus of my discussion with him will be on PROSPECTS. I will not be talking about the Comrie situation with him or any other topics which do not coincide with HF's direction.

Besides there are a ton of prospects and questions to go on from there.

Ask away, I do not have a firm date for this interview yet but I am aiming for late this week or the home stand right after XMAS.

GuyF

Old
12-15-2003, 09:08 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
will their draft strategy for this year be still based on bringing in big hulking forwards or will they look to solidify their blue line corps. Also are there any plans on getting a second goalie prospect to backup JDD and how confident to they feel with JDD as it is?

Old
12-15-2003, 09:09 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Just a rough idea for their time table (ideal for the following prospects):

Mikhnov
Greene
Smith
Niinimaki

More or less, when does he think (or the scouting staff project) these guys to be making an impact in Either the AHL or NHL.

Also, is DesLauriers under contract already? edit: IF not, is there a deadline to have him signed by a certain point?

Last edited by dawgbone: 12-15-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old
12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Digger12

So what do you think of Corey Perry's progress in the OHL this year, and what was it about him that prompted the Oilers to insist that he be part of the Comrie trade? :p

(Let's face it...it's when, not if, he becomes Oiler property)

Old
12-15-2003, 09:28 AM
USC Trojans
AD

How far along are the Oilers from achieving Lowe's plans in terms of drafting and developing prospects?

What ingredients will the organization be looking for to complete the grand master plan of Kevin Lowe?

We've seen the Oilers put an emphasis on large centermen, defensively aware forwards, and character players in the past few years. Will we be seeing the Oilers shoot for those high-risk, high-reward, offensively explosive players anytime soon?

Mikhnov and Niinimaki. Will we be seeing them in North America next year?

It looks like this year's draft will be top heavy once again. Are there any prospects that have impressed you to the point where you'd consider trading up to draft?

Johannson and Brodziak. These two are considered around the board to be two of the Oiler's biggest steals in recent drafts. What did you guys see that the other teams didn't?

Old
12-15-2003, 09:38 AM
elphy101

What player's development has been the most pleasant surprise for the organization this year?

Doug Lynch has been pretty fairly in Toronto, how close is he to making the jump to the NHL? What does he have to improve to make the jump?

What player that is Oiler's property do you expect to have the biggest impact at the World Juniors?

Who are the Oilers players that will be in the World Juniors?

In the early rounds of the draft, the Oilers seemingly have stopped drafting smaller players(Parise, O'Sullivan, Hudler), is this a trend that is expected to continue?

How do you see Cam Barker in comparison to the big three defensemen(Coburn, Suter, Phaneuf)that were drafted last year?

Old
12-15-2003, 09:41 AM
MrMackey

This is on the Comrie topic, but more of a focus on prospects...

- K.Lowe has talked about the return for Comrie being "something for today and something for the future". As far as the future aspect goes, what are the Oilers looking for in regards to prospects from other teams? i.e. is the team looking at: stage in a player's development? raw talent? physical profile? filling certain positions? are draft picks enough?

Old
12-15-2003, 09:59 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
We've seen the Oilers put an emphasis on large centermen, defensively aware forwards, and character players in the past few years. Will we be seeing the Oilers shoot for those high-risk, high-reward, offensively explosive players anytime soon?
Perfect question. This is something I would definitely like to hear. In the earlier rounds... there have been no extremely high-risk players like the Kastitsyn pick this past draft or Marian Hossa in past years where he was considered strictly an offense player with no idea of how to play d. (and no, I don't think Niinimaki necessarily fits into this category)

Old
12-15-2003, 10:04 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I know its one of the question i asked above but i think it's better worded this way:

Since it seems the Oilers are drafting more forwards higher up the draft is this because the scouting you have is better at assessing forwards, or do you feel that your development of project players (who are defensemen, see Ulanov, Mironov, Niinimaa etc) is so much better that you stick to acquiring older veterans either through the later rounds of the draft or through trade or free agency to help improve the Oilers blueline

Old
12-15-2003, 10:15 AM
mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
I know its one of the question i asked above but i think it's better worded this way:

Since it seems the Oilers are drafting more forwards higher up the draft is this because the scouting you have is better at assessing forwards, or do you feel that your development of project players (who are defensemen, see Ulanov, Mironov, Niinimaa etc) is so much better that you stick to acquiring older veterans either through the later rounds of the draft or through trade or free agency to help improve the Oilers blueline

guy,

best of wishes for the holiday season, ask him please although I asked this one before to the scouts and the answer wasnt posted or maybe i missed it somewhere but if all the propects were in teh same draft and the oilers would be able to draft again who there number 1-3 propects would be and why

best regards
jb

Old
12-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugu
although I asked this one before to the scouts and the answer wasnt posted or maybe i missed it somewhere but if all the propects were in teh same draft and the oilers would be able to draft again who there number 1-3 propects would be and why
You did ask, and so did I, and you didn't miss the answer because I haven't posted a story yet that it fit into.

Only one scout I talked to was willing to stick his neck out for it (but I'll leave him nameless). If I remember correctly he said: Hemsky, Niinimaki and Deslauriers. But we didn't have time to get into why.

But let's not let this thread get preoccupied with that topic please... I'm expecting a ton of K.P. questions and it would make it easier not to have to sift through off topic stuff too.

thx.

Old
12-15-2003, 10:48 AM
PineJockey

How about asking something about Rita? Will he get a shot this year? Does he feel like time is running out? If he doesn't make it this year/next year will he be traded? Something along those lines.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:06 AM
H-Bear

1) Has Edmonton ever considered, or will it ever consider sharing its AHL affiliate with another team in order to bolster the lineup?

2) Does Edmonton send scouts to the group I and group II World Junior tournaments to scout the players from lesser hockey powers? ie:
Division I:
Germany
Kazakhstan
Slovenia
Latvia
Denmark
Hungary
France
Belarus
Japan
Norway
Italy
Estonia

Division II:
Poland
Netherlands
Romania
Spain
Iceland
Belgium
Lithuania
Croatia
Great Britain
Serbia & Montenegro
South Africa
Korea

Old
12-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
1) Has Edmonton ever considered, or will it ever consider sharing its AHL affiliate with another team in order to bolster the lineup?

Question #2 is a good one. Question #1 though....? Think back really hard... WAAAAAYYY back to, let's say, 2002-03 when they shared their AHL team with Montreal.

I'm not going to ask him that one.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:19 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Question #2 is a good one. Question #1 though....? Think back really hard... WAAAAAYYY back to, let's say, 2002-03 when they shared their AHL team with Montreal.

I'm not going to ask him that one.
Sorry, poorly worded question . What that was supposed to mean is: When they were forming the Roadrunners, did they consider sharing the team with another club (ie: Tampa, who doesn't have an AHL affiliate)? Or, now that they see the Roadrunners struggling a little (although they seem to be turning around lately ), are they thinking of doing it in the future?

Old
12-15-2003, 11:27 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Sorry, poorly worded question . What that was supposed to mean is: When they were forming the Roadrunners, did they consider sharing the team with another club (ie: Tampa, who doesn't have an AHL affiliate)? Or, now that they see the Roadrunners struggling a little (although they seem to be turning around lately ), are they thinking of doing it in the future?
most teams that win in the AHL tend to have veteran laden lineups, and generally it isn't always the best organizational prospects that results in a good farm team standings wise.

Essentially, you want your top prospects to play in as many situations as possible, and get as much ice time as they can.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:34 AM
USC Trojans
AD

oh, by the way Guy...this might sound a little cheesy, but can you commend Prendergast and the rest of the scouting crew for great job in recent years on behalf of the board?
I'm sure everyone appreciates compliments but to tell you the truth, they have been doing a wonderful job the past couple of years. I don't think we've been this excited about the Oiler's future since the early 80s. (and some of us weren't even born then!). Nothing grand, just something subtle to let them know we appreciate what they're doing and to keep up with the good work!
thanks!

Old
12-15-2003, 11:42 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
oh, by the way Guy...this might sound a little cheesy, but can you commend Prendergast and the rest of the scouting crew for great job in recent years on behalf of the board?
I'm sure everyone appreciates compliments but to tell you the truth, they have been doing a wonderful job the past couple of years. I don't think we've been this excited about the Oiler's future since the early 80s. (and some of us weren't even born then!). Nothing grand, just something subtle to let them know we appreciate what they're doing and to keep up with the good work!
thanks!
I will second that.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:45 AM
momentai

How much emphasis do the scouts and Oiler management put onto WJ performance? Would a relatively poor Junior tournament be a huge detriment to the scouts' opinions of him as a player and his possible selection in the next draft? How many scouts will be attending the tournament in Finland - will Kevin Lowe or Prendergast be attending?

How has Niinimaki's shoulder injury been progressing? Do you believe that he still requires another year in Finland for development due to the setback of the shoulder?

Any update on Pouliot's injury? We've heard things such as a wrist... but nothing definitive at least for me. He's been out for quite a while. How have the scouts been monitoring his progess before the injury. He was averaging close to 2 ppg in the Q... anything anyone talked to him about improving?

Old
12-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Mr Sakich

Is miknov ready to play in the nhl?

Why did brodziak go so low?

Would stoll benefit from being the top minute guy in toronto ?

which rookie has the best chance to be an impact player next year?

Old
12-15-2003, 11:57 AM
John Christie

vCash:
Questions for KP

Guy, great job as usual!

Questions:

With a possible 2 first rounders (COmrie deal pending) and 2 second round picks in the 2004 draft, will more money / emphasis be placed on scouting for players since the Oilers will have 4 picks in the top 60

How many scouts will be at the WJC in Finland

Do agents ever approach Oilers scouts about a report on their client

2003 draft picks: Will the team make an effort to sign them before the new CBA or wait until a new CBA is ironed out

Old
12-15-2003, 12:10 PM
speeds

(1) from the 90 thru 03 drafts, EDM has had 19 picks in the top 30.
Of those, 17 have been forwards. More recently, from the 97 thru 03 draft EDM has had 7 picks in the top 30, ALL of which have been forwards.

I'd assume that EDM sticks to the BPA theory in the early rounds, and this could just be a random type occurrance. But, perhaps the relatively expensive price of proven, older offensive talent (both in dollar terms, and trade terms) forces EDM to, all else equal, prefer selecting a scoring forward in the first round over any other kind of player?

Or is EDM's seeming preference for forwards in the first round just one of those random things that has simply worked out that way?

(2) Mikhnov - everything and anything. Can he be a PF, Is he likely NHL ready for next year, should there be a year?

(3) Platt and Smith - can either of these guys play at the NHL level after their college careers, and do either have legit top 4 aspirations?

Old
12-15-2003, 01:43 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

H-Bear: I will ask but Scott Howson told me in the summer that they were not going to consider sharing a team again. (read one of the two Scott Howson interviews in the archives on the Oilers page).

USC Trojans: You got it.

Sakich: Read the Brodziak interview again, there's some explanations as to why he might have slipped. Basically it's because a lot of teams consider undrafted 19 year olds to be too risky.

John Christie & Momentai: According to one of their scouts, only Howson, Musil and Kent Kilsson are scheduled to be going over. This is because the vast majority of players in the tourny will already be drafted players this time around. By contrast the Viking Cup in Camrose AB will be a high priority this year.

Speeds: The Oilers made strong efforts to move up in the last couple of drafts. They tried to get Tampa's 4th pick but Philly got it and took Pitkanen, (the Oilers might have been trying to get Lupul though and not him). Last draft they wanted to get Atlanta's #8 to take Suter but Nashville took him at #7... after that it was BPA like you said.

Speeds again: Platt and Smith are both going to be solid pros and should challenge for the NHL, I'm told. I haven't been told anything to make me think they'll be top 4 guys though.

GREAT questions so far everybody and I will be asking 99% of them (even the ones I just touched on above). Keep them coming.

Old
12-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Lowetide

Lots already covered, but here's a few:

1. Does he feel that Brodziak's step forward is partly due to his age and being a "man among boys", or is this just a huge step forward?

2. Ales Hemsky has all the tools to be an impact player. If you had to pick one other player you've drafted that has the best chance to be an impact player, who would that player be?

3. How far away is Doug Lynch in terms of being NHL ready?

4. Is there any chance the Zherdev situation in C-bus could impact Mikhnov being signed?

5. Will the Zherdev situation have an impact on your draft list on 2004?

6. Have you seen Adam Pineault and is he your type of player?

Thanks as always Guy.

Old
12-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Shizuka

Hi and a big thanks once again GuyF. On to the questions:

1. Why is Dragan Umicevic being moved around so much? First he was on the SEL Södertälje team, then he was demoted to their junior team, and now it appears he has been shuffled off to Björklöven and his production has dropped? Is there a problem with him, has his development stalled, or is it merely a case of numbers?

2. Have the focus and fundamentals of the Oilers' drafting philosophy changed? There was a concerted effort to draft much larger prospects in the 2003 draft, but it seems speed / skating ability is being set aside as a priority. As a fan, this concerns me a great deal...that has always been a hallmark of the Oilers (sorry, I know this isn't really specific to any prospects Guy) and a big reason why the team is exciting to watch.

3. What has happened to J.F. Dufort? He's likely not high on the depth chart but I thought he might be groomed to replace Georges Laraque once he moves on. In the NHL today do you see a need / role for a tough guy, and is it a more difficult proposition because more and more guys are expected to be regular players now, and not just benchwarmers i.e. fighters need some skill too? Are the Oilers looking for any players in the Georges Laraque mold?

4. Can you please try and explain what it is, specifically, about Jani Rita's game that is holding him back? Is it weak hockey sense, lack of work ethic, confidence issues, etc?

5. How did the scouts feel Ivan Koltsov perform in the mini-tournament with the 3 teams representing the Canadian Junior leagues? Will he be coming over next year? In the same vein, does Mikael Svensk come over as well or will he be better served staying in Sweden?

6. If there is a lockout next year, how does this affect the development of those players whom the scouting staff feel are ready for either the NHL or the AHL? Are there contingencies in place for these players, who may just be stalling in their development if they were to remain in junior? (Reiteration of an old question I submitted to you before, Guy).

That's all for now .

Closed Thread