HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Upcoming Kevin Prendergast Interview

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 03:02 PM
aspin

vCash: 500
Questions

Awesome Guy. Here are questions that I would love to know and have been wondering about and trying to search on:

1) Has Chris Legg been dropped off of the Oileqrs prospect list?

2) Is J.F. Dufort's career over? Have the post concussion syndromes passed?

3) Is Adam Dewan's career over (see2).

4) What have your thought's been about Tomas Micka and J.F. Plourde? Oilerchick said that Micka is a horrible skater yet he is doing good on the cottonmouths for his first year in NA and he is on the PP.

5) Did the Oilers feel that they needed more depth on the farm team by getting Ulanov? It seems that there are already lots of defencemen down there.

6) What is Horacek's status on his injury? He has only played 8 games.

7) As mentioned above I would love to hear about Rita, Mikhonov and Niinimaki.

8) What is happening with Kalle Ollson? He was among the leaders in the swedish juniors last year and this year his stats are horrible.

9)Could you ask him about Josef Hrabal. I have never heard anyone from the Oilers comment on him. It would be great to haer what they think about him.

10) How have you felt Glenn Fisher has played in his first year of college? Does he look like he is a good college goalie?

11) How do you think Joe Cullen and Brad Winchester have faired in their first pro-season?

12) Why was Dan Baum chosen to play for Team Canada?

13) What is the status of Kristian Antilla? He is now the third goalie in Columbus. What are the organization's thoughts? Will they attempt to find another team for him. I would love to know this answer Guy.

14) What have your thoughts been of eddie Caron? How has he looked? He only has two goals.

15) Again I would love to know more about what the organization thinks about Michal Svensk, Jason Platt, Ivan Koltsov and Kenny Smith. The oilers organization does not have that many defensive prospects so it would be nice to know what they think of them and what potential they have.

Old
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
another question guy, its not about player specific but exactly how much information do the oiler scouts share with either scouts from other NHL teams and other nonNHL teams?

Also why dont they make their scout reports available ? (obviously after the player has been picked)

Old
12-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Allan

Why don't the Oilers hold Alexander Fomitchev's rights any more? I was under the impression that European players were stuck with their drafted teams until they qualified for UFA. I know he wouldn't likely come back anyway, but I'm curious about how it worked.

Old
12-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Why don't the Oilers hold Alexander Fomitchev's rights any more? I was under the impression that European players were stuck with their drafted teams until they qualified for UFA. I know he wouldn't likely come back anyway, but I'm curious about how it worked.

Fomitchev played here in St. Albert for the Saints and then (I believe) played in the Western League.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Allan

I thought it was based on where they were from - is it the league they are drafted out of? He played for Calgary in the dub, then went through the UHL, ECHL, and AHL. Does that get him out of the obligations?

Old
12-16-2003, 09:16 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
How does the Oilers scouting staff view the cutting of both Brodziak and Deslauriers, neither of who "played themselves off the team"?

Old
12-16-2003, 09:31 AM
mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
another question guy, its not about player specific but exactly how much information do the oiler scouts share with either scouts from other NHL teams and other nonNHL teams?

Also why dont they make their scout reports available ? (obviously after the player has been picked)
rabi-being in that particular buisness i can answer that we dont give them off because of the ramifications afterwards, for example lets just say we looked at patrick roy (this is all made up crap by the way not real) and lets say he had a real problem with keeping his stick between his legs while he butterflied and he didnt snap his head oevr first too get accross and just pushed blindly with the opposite leg, but he still stopped the puck and the oilers drafted him first round, in my scounting report it has my views on this and his character and attiutde from what I saw and heard of him, lets say three years down the road his contract comes up and is in line for a raise we cant afford it, so he gets traded, while we work with him on a daily basis trying to imporve his technique we devolpe the book on him and his weaknesses and strenghts and character issues, if we were to release the scouting report previoulsy then other teams would devalue him based on what the general scounting report said and such....this is just one example, hope this helps and have a great holiday season

regards
jb

Old
12-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Lord

Send a message via ICQ to Lord
Some questions from Russian fan.
1) Does Edmonton still have rights for Fomichev, who is playing superbly here, in Russia. He's considered by many as the strongest goalie in Superleague at the moment. Very impressive. Any plans to bring him back, especially Edmonton franchise is lack of goalies depth right now?
2) Last years Edmonton drafted not too many russian players. It seems Oiler's management have some prejudices against them, despite their high skill, fast and smart style of play. Why ?
We have a really nice bunch of good youngsters, but Oilers passed on them unfortunately for me.
3) Any plans for Russia-born players this draft?

Thanks in advance.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
USC Trojans
New Era

Well, I guess its time for a question that we all want to ask now:

- What do you think of Jeff Woywitka and how far is he from making the team?

Old
12-16-2003, 11:15 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Well, I guess its time for a question that we all want to ask now:

- What do you think of Jeff Woywitka and how far is he from making the team?
Geez, that was fast. :p

Old
12-16-2003, 11:17 AM
USC Trojans
New Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Geez, that was fast. :p
you gotta watch out for me...I'm very very sneaky. :p

Old
12-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Thanks for all the questions everybody... for the first time... I think I have almost too much input from you guys!

Good Job

Old
12-16-2003, 03:26 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
kool mugu makes sense i never thought about that aspect. hey Guy one less question for you to ask now

Old
12-16-2003, 04:39 PM
CementCo

Questions for Kevin Prendergast

1) What is the Oilers draft philosophy in the first round? Are they trying to hit a home run or just drafting the best possible player?

2) How important is the interview stage for potential draftees? Most of the players, including those drafted in the first couple of rounds, claim they were never interviewed by the team.

3) Who is the best unknown prospect that we have on our negotiating list?

Old
12-17-2003, 10:15 AM
McMatty

Thanks again Guy for doing this.

I have another question:

How does he feel about Oiler prospects being cut from team Canada (most notably Delauriers, who seemed to outplay his competition and still get cut)?

I understand he will likely try to dodge this question (as not to insult Hockey Canada), but I would be interested in the answer if he is willing to give an honest response.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:55 AM
rabi_sultan

ok im not going sticky mad but this'll just make it easier for Guy to find the thread

Old
12-17-2003, 11:21 AM
McOylerz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Thank-you Guy. I lurk around here quite a bit and never really say anything much (that's my quiet personality) but I just thought I'd chime in and say thanks for going to this effort on our behalf. I enjoy reading the interviews and learning about our prospects and team directions. Based on the questions I see here, I look forward to reading this interview. If it isn't too late already, I do have two questions for you to ask...

1. Has Rita earned himself the next call-up out of Toronto with his stellar play lately?

2. If I'm not mistaken Rita has been playing RW in Toronto recently, could he be part of the solution to our RW scoring weakness?

If you can't fit these in I understand.

Old
12-17-2003, 11:24 AM
McMatty

Sorry Guy, yet another question for you (to ask KP):

I noticed (from the HF site) that in each of his last two WHL seasons, Woywitka missed about 15-20 games per season. Does he have a history of health problems (ie: knee problems, etc.), or were they just freak-type incidents?

Old
12-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Obsessed

A little OT but is JDD still eligible for the team next year?

Old
12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
I believe that JDD will be too old to play for the World Junior team if that is what you're asking. He turns 20 in May.

If you're talking about making the Oiler team or Roadrunners... I believe that officially this is his last year of junior and he will make his way up to the pros for next season.

Old
12-17-2003, 11:50 AM
momentai

I know I have probably touched on this before. But this has to with drafting strategy and specific qualities the scouts and KP are looking for in terms of finding good players.

Is there a great importance in not only trying to find a good talented player but a good talented PERSON? There have been a lot of captains/assistant captains drafted by the Oilers in the past drafts... Such names include Kyle Brodziak, JF Jacques, M.A. Pouliot. Is this a trend that will continue?

(I admit. This way we'll know what prospects we'll be expecting to draft in 2004. Got to have a leg up in the speculation process. )

How has Misha Joukov been progressing? He was a mentioned as a possible steal here by Predatore, one of the HF posters from Sweden. I don't believe he has received Swedish citizenship... nor made the Russian squad for the upcoming Junior tournament in Helsinki. (not too sure but someone here will verify that for me I'm sure). What is the update on him at this time?

Old
12-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
which team? The Oilers or the WJC or Chicoutimi?

Oilers: Yes, he's eligible at anytime.
WJC: No, he'll be 20 by then.
chicoutimi: I think he could return for one more season as a 20 year old but I would think pro is the preference there.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

I spoke with K.P. very briefly this afternoon and to set up a day and time. I will hook up with him at the Vancouver game on saturday night. I asked him to give me about half an hour... with all these questions I might have to ask for an hour!

Not that I'm complaining but there is no way all this will fit into 1 Q&A. I expect i will break it down into two or three artciles and a prospect update Q&A. Be patient with getting answers to your specific questions, it might not appear in the first or second article this spawns... but I will get to it.

Good job everybody and thanks for the Sticky!

Old
12-17-2003, 07:36 PM
aspin

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
I spoke with K.P. very briefly this afternoon and to set up a day and time. I will hook up with him at the Vancouver game on saturday night. I asked him to give me about half an hour... with all these questions I might have to ask for an hour!

Not that I'm complaining but there is no way all this will fit into 1 Q&A. I expect i will break it down into two or three artciles and a prospect update Q&A. Be patient with getting answers to your specific questions, it might not appear in the first or second article this spawns... but I will get to it.

Good job everybody and thanks for the Sticky!
Now since the comrie trade you can ask him what their plans are with the defence in the minors as they are loaded.

Ulanov
Lynch
Allen
Woywitka
Thompson
Hogan
Haracek
Roy
Luoma
Dan Smith

They can only dress 18 or so players. Do they plan on reasigning some. Is Horacek hur bad or is he not in their plans again? I know I have repeated this but I am so curious about what their plans are with Antilla as it does not look like he will play as Kostur and Michaud are getting the games in Columbus.

Old
12-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

WOW! Just so you guys know, after compiling the best of your thoughts into one list, I have 45 questions. 45, and I haven't added my own yet! Also, for the most part, that doesn't include simple propsect update questions.

By comparison, I'm usually going into a Q&A with about 20-25...

Because of this awesome contributions you all have made, I might have to talk to Kevin on two or three seperate occasions in the near future. So this weekend I might only talk to him about the WJC, ask for some prospect updates, the Woywitka trade (how's that for a HF focus spin) and maybe some other stuff. Then a couple weeks later I can talk to him again about draft strategies and some of the other things you guys are interested in hearing.

I'll see, maybe he'll have lots of time and lots of patience and not mind talking to me for longer than I was hoping for.

Just don't get mad if it looks like I skipped some important stuff the first time out.

Closed Thread