HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Province Article

Old
03-21-2007, 07:47 PM
canadianpredsfan97

vCash: 500
Vancouver Province Article

Hi all. I've been a Predators fan since 1997 but only got around to getting a membership on this message board in the last little while. I'm from Vancouver and I read this article in the Vancouver Province this morning that really ticked me off that I wanted to share with other Predator fans.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...0-db37aca64fb1

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Eaton4

Doesn't really bother me much, I've had enough of being angry the last few days because of slanted views (both media and forum posters) against our organization. Man, wouldn't the league be so much better off if all teams were in Canadian markets?

Eaton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
pitseleh

Don't get too upset about it. Gallagher is a hack of a 'reporter'.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
IcedTea

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Gallagher generally pisses us Canuck fans off too.

IcedTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I just get tired of seeing this. Sometimes, it honestly seems as if nothing positive is ever said about Nashville having a hockey team......A positive article about how well this team is built, how well we are doing this year.....anything would be nice for a change.

03-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Rover*

Lol it's tony gallagher man. He's the scum of the newprint industry in my mind. He's been negative about the canucks his whole career.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
We just take take take and the downtown businesses aren't benefitting at all

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Jarnberg

Whats sad is that he ripped off the good ole Al article posted on FoxSports.com (which got taken down).

And people wonder why hockey does so poor. Even hockey's own writers can do nothing but bash the sport about everything. Its stuff like this that makes me (a huge hockey fan) almost want to stop watching this league. Its downright sickening how a president of another team and Canadian media can just tee off on a franchise, especially when they contain lies.

The thing is though, the articles do their job. Clueless Joe will read the articles and just assume its 100% fact and use this to bash our franchise.

I really wish someone at the Tennessean would write an article calling out all these people and point out the lies. But first of all, even they can't say anything good about our team and second of all, they don't have the guts or skill to. Its sad really. For such a crappy newspaper, you would think they'd be able to step up to the plate and write an article that would probably get them some attention (oh wait, they already do that with negative articles about the Preds).

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:13 AM
trotzian brow

The front office is finally sticking up for the franchise. Gerry Helper called out the "journalist" that wrote the article.

http://www.nashvillepredators.com/pr...?story_id=1285

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:23 AM
aftu

Hah, Gallagher is such a hack that even fans in other cities are pointing out what a hack he is. And actually, a giant chunk of what the Province prints in general is a bunch of fabrications and half-truths. You're basically always getting a sensationalized Coles-Notes-for-Dummies version of what's really going on.

I'm pretty sure the people of Vancouver for the most part recognize what Nashville is doing on the ice and don't particularly give a **** about what's happening off. But Gallagher likes to stir the pot, and it looks like he's done it here.

aftu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:27 AM
MeatTornado
I was born ready

Send a message via MSN to MeatTornado
Like others have said, a Gallagher article is hardly worth getting bent out shape over, he's not a very well respected part of the media in Vancouver..

MeatTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_ribs View Post
The front office is finally sticking up for the franchise. Gerry Helper called out the "journalist" that wrote the article.

Haha, that is so awesome. Gallagher is such a tool!

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:36 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

Great read, thanks.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:40 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see Gallagher get his ass handed to him in print like that. I hope he gets fired. (Though I doubt it happens).

Good luck in the playoffs guys! (Especially if you play the Flames in the first round! )

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:

Owned.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Hazeltherabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Owned.
Call the Fire Department! Something is burning?

"However, it is my suggestion that The Province may be better served by using Gallagher’s salary to pay a committee of fact-checkers to insure that columnists' opinions are based on facts as opposed to twisted details manipulated to support their points.

Sincerely,

Gerry Helper"

Hazeltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
AdsSabresRule

Pathetic...

Seriously, it is such a joke, and ironic, that the NHL 'powers - that - be' want the U.S. market to succeed, and realize that the financials of having more Canadian teams just don't add up - even if it is true that hockey is their national sport, and agreed, it would be great for Canadians to have teams back in Winnipeg, Quebec, etc. And, even though I do feel that those same 'powers' sometimes might wish they had a team in a market they might feel would be more lucrative - definately a Houston - my doubts on a KC - it is a damn shame that I see so many Canadian writers outright lie, get their panties in a bundle, and slam a team and its fans. Why? Because they think that hockey is their sport, they own it, and don't want franchises to succeed south of the Mason - Dixon - even though that is what the NHL needs for the financial health of their sport. I aplogize for the rant. 72 hours post - op and the 1.5 inch (sorry - whatever centimeter that is in Canada!) stapled/gash and three sewn holes in my swollen knee are bothering me!) Hey, I'm from Buffalo and half my family lives in Toronto...feel my pain, and add 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and no ring! Aaaargh! (Go Preds!)

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:49 PM
AdsSabresRule

Oh yeah -

...and don't get me started on the 'forward lateral' Tenesee Titan 'Music City Miracle' from a few years back!

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:00 PM
irisheyes555

i think it is time for more than an implied threat. i am not a lawyer and don't pretend to know the sublteties of libel cases, but if we can we should make an example. nothing gets your attention like being served court papers, well maybe blue lights in your rear view or the cocking of a shotgun.
Quote:
Furthermore, we find it outrageous that the Province would even put itself in such a legally vulnerable position to print a column built on such fabrication.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
...and don't get me started on the 'forward lateral' Tenesee Titan 'Music City Miracle' from a few years back!
laces out dan.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
You know, it is sad that a franchise has to do this, but at the same time I love that they did.

We, as fans, are completely sick and tired of having to defend our market and the franchise from these articles that lack accuracy in the very facts they write about. Now we get to see publicly that the Predators themselves have had enough of it and are going to set the facts straight before they get too far out of hand.

I'm sure this type of response will not be the norm from now on, however it is extremely important to set the precedent now to attempt to prevent further inaccuracies from being posted by media outlets online or especially in print. The thing that made this article worse than the Stratchan one is that it was in print and will always be in print. Al's article was online only and was removed immediately following the Predators contacting foxsports.com.

Although I'm languishing in Richmond, VA until Monday night (without access to watch the Preds west-coast swing - it's killing me!!!), I'm a little prouder to be a Predators fan today after reading that letter by Helper.

Thanks Gerry!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Lol it's tony gallagher man. He's the scum of the newprint industry in my mind. He's been negative about the canucks his whole career.
There was a quote that if ever the Canucks won the Stanley Cup, Gallagher would complain about the cars used in the parade.

Anyways, for anyone interested, he is going to be on the radio within the next 30 minutes to respond to the comments from the team management.

www.team1040.ca - click on Listen Live.

Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
There was a quote that if ever the Canucks won the Stanley Cup, Gallagher would complain about the cars used in the parade.

Anyways, for anyone interested, he is going to be on the radio within the next 30 minutes to respond to the comments from the team management.

www.team1040.ca - click on Listen Live.
If anyone listened, please report what all this Gallagher clown had to say Pretty please?

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:09 PM
canadianpredsfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
i think it is time for more than an implied threat. i am not a lawyer and don't pretend to know the sublteties of libel cases, but if we can we should make an example. nothing gets your attention like being served court papers, well maybe blue lights in your rear view or the cocking of a shotgun.
I second that. I'd love to see Gallagher get what's coming to him for his big mouth.

canadianpredsfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote