HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Centre Ice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2003, 09:41 AM
  #1
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
NHL Centre Ice

Well,

Petitions or not, complaints unheeded, I decided to dump Shaw Cable and get satellite and of course with it....NHL Centre Ice.

So NHL Centre Icers....are there any upsides, downsides to their programming...?

Can someone give me some low down?

(As far as I can see from their schedule...the toughest part is going to be to decide what to watch. )

Slats432 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
  #2
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Well,

Petitions or not, complaints unheeded, I decided to dump Shaw Cable and get satellite and of course with it....NHL Centre Ice.

So NHL Centre Icers....are there any upsides, downsides to their programming...?

Can someone give me some low down?

(As far as I can see from their schedule...the toughest part is going to be to decide what to watch. )
The only real downside that I have is that you have to pay for every game, even if you only want one team (as in my scenario).

I have sent numerous emails to them making the suggestion of knocking $10 off the price per month and allowing you to pick just one team... but so far nothing.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:09 AM
  #3
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
put up a petition in the forums dawgbone and then send it. if there are enough responses then they always respond

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:09 AM
  #4
CanmoreMike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canmore, Alberta
Posts: 1,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The only real downside that I have is that you have to pay for every game, even if you only want one team (as in my scenario).

I have sent numerous emails to them making the suggestion of knocking $10 off the price per month and allowing you to pick just one team... but so far nothing.
That has long been my ideal. I don't know what it costs for the year but I have always felt that if a cable company gave me the choice to pay less for only 1 team, an amount that was more than the per team average costs of the entire package, I couldn't justify not getting it.

Same thing with regular channels. I would rather pay 15$ for the 5 channels I want than 30$ for a lot of crap.

As things stand, they get 0$ of my money.

CanmoreMike is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:31 AM
  #5
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
The only real downside that I have is that you have to pay for every game, even if you only want one team (as in my scenario).

I have sent numerous emails to them making the suggestion of knocking $10 off the price per month and allowing you to pick just one team... but so far nothing.
Well above all else I am an NHL fan....so it isn't just the Oilers games I bought it for because we get many of them out West here anyways....

Like I am just itching to see the Isles and Devils tomorrow...or Saturday morning...checking out Flyers and Islanders...Detroit and St. Louis Monday night.....

So since I wanted all the games....no downside? Excellent.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:34 AM
  #6
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Well above all else I am an NHL fan....so it isn't just the Oilers games I bought it for because we get many of them out West here anyways....

Like I am just itching to see the Isles and Devils tomorrow...or Saturday morning...checking out Flyers and Islanders...Detroit and St. Louis Monday night.....

So since I wanted all the games....no downside? Excellent.
Perfect then...

The only reason I got it was for the Oilers... I watch enough junior and AHL games that I don't really have time to sit and watch teams I have no interest in, so to me the only real drawback was paying for a bunch of stuff I didn't even want/use.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
  #7
USC Trojans
I have a plan.
 
USC Trojans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA Oiler fan
Posts: 11,731
vCash: 500
Don't mind paying for all the other games...cause I think its more expensive to buy all the oiler games on PPV anyways...plus Center Ice gets the games that are blacked out in Edmonton.

My only beef with Center Ice is that they play just the game. Right after the final horn blows, they cut it...no post game analysis, no post game show, nothing.

USC Trojans is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:46 AM
  #8
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Don't mind paying for all the other games...cause I think its more expensive to buy all the oiler games on PPV anyways...plus Center Ice gets the games that are blacked out in Edmonton.

My only beef with Center Ice is that they play just the game. Right after the final horn blows, they cut it...no post game analysis, no post game show, nothing.
I don't mind the commentary...but on the upside of that I get to develop my own opinion based on the game rather than the spin by the commentators.

I am excited....

Slats432 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 10:57 AM
  #9
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
So NHL Centre Icers....are there any upsides, downsides to their programming...?
Upsides:
- a game most nights
- being able to flip between games during breaks/intermissions
- hearing other broadcasting crews (REALLY enjoyed the Sharks broadcast recently)
- being able to watch other teams. Helps to compare.

Downsides:
- ravenously consumes free time
- hearing other broadcasting crews (some REALLY are annoying, Preds and Wild come to mind)
- watching other teams. Most games are boring if they don't include a pressure oriented team.

Enjoy! (I'm sure you will!)

oilswell is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 02:41 PM
  #10
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Correct me if I am incorrect.
With Center Ice, the Oiler games will be blacked out in the western areas, such as Alberta, Sask and Manitoba. Also the Territories...due to the local programming issues...
So if the games are not on sportsnet, TSN or CBC, you still will not be able to watch the Oiler games...as they will be blacked out

Unless of course you do not live locally...

With that said, I have the center ice package...I love nothing better than to get a Proline ticket and sit down and enjoy a night of hockey..

mbam99 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
  #11
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Correct me if I am incorrect.
With Center Ice, the Oiler games will be blacked out in the western areas, such as Alberta, Sask and Manitoba. Also the Territories...due to the local programming issues...
So if the games are not on sportsnet, TSN or CBC, you still will not be able to watch the Oiler games...as they will be blacked out

Unless of course you do not live locally...

With that said, I have the center ice package...I love nothing better than to get a Proline ticket and sit down and enjoy a night of hockey..

even if a game is blacked out, you can usually pick it up 99.99% of the time on the local fox sportsnet feed (unless its an all canadian matchup).

Downside? sometimes with extreme bad weather, you may lose the signal for a short period of time (which means.. in essence.. there is no downside

windowlicker is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 03:09 PM
  #12
Yorkiegirl161861
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
I have Center Ice through digital cable. There are tons of upsides and virtually no downsides. If I wanted to be picky, I can say the downside is no pre-game and post game coverage. However, if there is a full schedule of hockey- you're going to see all the games with very few exception.

One advantage with digital cable is the signal strength. It's not as vulnerable in poor weather conditions.

Yorkiegirl161861 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 03:41 PM
  #13
mbam99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
even if a game is blacked out, you can usually pick it up 99.99% of the time on the local fox sportsnet feed (unless its an all canadian matchup).

Downside? sometimes with extreme bad weather, you may lose the signal for a short period of time (which means.. in essence.. there is no downside

In Canada, we do not receive the fox sports feeds through the Satellite providers here. We are very limited to what we can watch unless you do get Directv or something. As far as the black outs go with the weather..its very rare. In the 3 years I had the Bell express vu, I think the weather played a factor twice.
There is no comparing the 2, satellite and digital cable. Its a way better bang for your buck with the satellite....the satellite is the best way to go.

mbam99 is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 04:33 PM
  #14
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl161861
If I wanted to be picky, I can say the downside is no pre-game and post game coverage.
I find that when you get to see all of the games you don't need the pre/post game stuff anyways.

Pre game is who's hot/who's not and you'll already know that from watching the previous games - post game they just reiterate all the same points that they made during the broadcast.

The only negative is that you'll go through beer a lot faster and the pile of crumbs around the couch will grow at an alarming rate. Get the thighmaster and a dog and you'll have no worries.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
12-15-2003, 04:44 PM
  #15
kraigus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,173
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
My only problem with it is the same as almost everybody else's: I really only want the Oilers games, although I watch other ones on occasion. (Less than I used to though, fiancee has become addicted to several TV shows... guess we need a second TV and digital cable box. )

If it was cheaper to just get Oilers games... I'd go for it. Some of the American announcers are surprisingly good. (Some of them... unsurprisingly awful.) The Anaheim crew seemed ok, from the bits I got last night, f'rinstance.

kraigus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.