HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: MacLaren's in Ottawa

Old
03-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
OT: MacLaren's in Ottawa

There is a pool hall with lots of big tvs in Ottawa known as MacLaren's, if you are a Habs fan I advise you to never go there. I have gone a few times in the past and have had a pretty good time, they have the Habs games on and the servers are pretty friendly. Until last night. First of all I would not have gone out but I had a friend coming up from Kingston and he was staying downtown so I thoguth MacLaren's would be a good place to watch the game. WRONG.

I went to meet up with some friends and watch the Habs Caps game at this place around 6:30 so we could get a tv and a place to sit to watch the game. We watched the first period having a good time, got some beer got some wings. Around the end of the first period these two girls and two guys come in and sit behind us, we were clearly watching the habs game. I had my habs hat one and my friends were all watching the game.

So the waiter goes to their table they say something to him and he comes right in front of our tv and turns on the Leafs game, I sat there in shock wondering what the hell he was doing. I look back at one of the girls sitting behind me and she gives me this rye smile like "yeah thats right Im from Toronto and I get what I want"

So the next time the server came around I asked him if we could put the Habs game back on we had been here for a long time, we actually cared about our game we had spent a lot of money, these other people just barged in after the first period etc etc, and he said he couldnt change it back for some reason. Now this is what really makes me mad is that there are about 100 other tvs in the place that have the Leafs game on and 1 with the habs game on in the far corner of the bar and we couldnt see it. If they had one tv in the place I would understand but with 100 tvs and half of them with the Leafs game on surely you can leave the RDS Habs game on our little tv that we had been watching for the entire first period and avant match.

I kept looking back at the "leafs fans" that wanted so badly to have their game on and they werent even watching just talking amongst each other. I will never go back to that place again Ottawa is the worst sports city in Canada.

I'm sure there are lots of spelling mistakes in this but I was just so worked up I had to get it off my chest.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:09 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS

sorry to hear man, that would drive me crazy too. you should have left without paying the bill.

i'm not sure of any real habs bars in ottawa that would be a good suggestion for next time. if you are in ottawa another time and need a place to watch the game my door is always open to fellow habs fans!

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:10 AM
zenator

I've seen this happen in Halifax as well (in January).

I was visiting there, and went to the Oasis sports bar with some Leafs fans friends.

There were people watching the Habs and Bruins game already, but they got overruled by 2-3 tables of Leafs fans that arrived later (including us), and the game was switched. No matter how much the Habs table complained, the bar refused to change it back. Unfair, but that's how it goes. They would have the Habs or Sens games on a smaller TV in the back of another room. Another main TV always had the Pens for fans of the local hero Sid the Kid.

Leaf Nation is a giant octopus, and its tentacles reach across the country. I've come to expect such situations with Canada's largest fanbase. Just learn to live with it.

I'm surprised with McLaren's though, they have an entire wall with about 12 TVs. You'd think they would keep 1 or 2 for the Habs games.

Don't try The Prescott. It is 100 % Sens, no matter what every TV is on the Sens game, especially if it's not locally televised.

McLaren's is kind of a snobby yuppie place, so it's not surprising they treated you like jerks. It does have great TVs though. Mediocre food.

My suggestion: next time go to La Cage Aux Sports in Hull. The only games they show are Habs or Sens games (unless neither is playing).

zenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:20 AM
GoodKiwi

Come to PJ's in Montreal. Cheap beer, cheap food and lots of big screen TV's to watch games on.

Just don't get their poutine, or you'll die from salt overdose.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Mathletic

yes it's true you get anything you like

... except the Stanley Cup

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 11:37 AM
kernkraft

Sorry to hear that, it's a small world, that are people from Toronto everywhere.

As far as pool goes, I prefer Dooley's at St-Laurent's.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
habsrock76

I wouldnt trash Ottawa as bad sports town because of one incident. There are plenty hab fans and bars to watch hab games, there just usually east of Bank St. or across the river. That seems to be the dividing line for Ottawa. Back in the day when T.O didnt have the complete monopoly on Hockey Night in Canada, if you lived east of Bank St you got the habs feed , and if you were west of Bank St. you got the leafs feed. Hockey fans in Ottawa were pretty much 50/50 habs and leafs.....then the sens showed up. But there still a few of us loyalists.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Shabutie

Dude, come down to Gatineau or Hull if you want to see Habs games.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Geoffvp

That really sucks. I've been to Maclaren's many times and have watched the entirety of several habs games even while the leafs and sens were playing. This situation seems pretty wierd. I would definitely have asked to see the manager.

I also hope you didn't leave a tip. This is exactly the kind of situation that warrants that.

There are tons of habs fans in Ottawa, in fact about 1/2 my friends in Ottawa are habs fans and not sens fans, so I'm pretty surprised to hear this.

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:45 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
You should of walked out without paying. Seriously, if places want to disrespect you, you should hurt them where it hurts most and just walk out

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
You should of walked out without paying. Seriously, if places want to disrespect you, you should hurt them where it hurts most and just walk out
Uh, yeah. That's worth the night in jail isn't it? His best revenge is ruining it's reputation by posting this on a message board so hundreds, maybe thousands see it.

Only thing to do is complain to the manager, then go over the manager's head if he's a ******. Too bad it won't get your money back, just some vouchers, but it beats getting a permanent record.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 03-25-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:05 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Uh, yeah. That's worth the night in jail isn't it? His best revenge is ruining it's reputation by posting this on a message board so hundreds, maybe thousands see it.

Only thing to do is complain to the manager, then go over the manager's head if he's a ******. Too bad it won't get your money back, just some vouchers, but it beats getting a permanent record.
lol, because the waiter/waitress will see you when she is in the kitchen getting food or preparing a drink.

Just cause it's illegal, doesn't mean you will be automaticly caught

Old
03-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
lol, because the waiter/waitress will see you when she is in the kitchen getting food or preparing a drink.

Just cause it's illegal, doesn't mean you will be automaticly caught
According to the story, the waitress, the people that were sitting behind him, the bartender...

Unless he and his friend are pretty quick and think fast enough to ditch the Habs hat he'd probably get spotted in the parking lot, which would be a ***** to get out of on a Saturday night.

Old
03-25-2007, 01:11 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
According to the story, the waitress, the people that were sitting behind him, the bartender...

Unless he and his friend are pretty quick and think fast enough to ditch the Habs hat he'd probably get spotted in the parking lot, which would be a ***** to get out of on a Saturday night.
"i was getting my wallet from my car" if you get caught

come on, I am sure you're good at thinking on your feet. As long as you don't admit to anything, you can deny, deny, deny

Old
03-25-2007, 01:14 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I was just really POed....I was looking forward to watching the game all day. I had been to this place 2 or 3 times before and never had any problems with watching the Habs, thats what made me think that it would be a good place to watch it being downtown and all.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:17 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
I wouldnt trash Ottawa as bad sports town because of one incident. There are plenty hab fans and bars to watch hab games, there just usually east of Bank St. or across the river. That seems to be the dividing line for Ottawa. Back in the day when T.O didnt have the complete monopoly on Hockey Night in Canada, if you lived east of Bank St you got the habs feed , and if you were west of Bank St. you got the leafs feed. Hockey fans in Ottawa were pretty much 50/50 habs and leafs.....then the sens showed up. But there still a few of us loyalists.
That's why unless you were born in the 1920's or in 1993 you're just a bandwagon Sens fan. Couldn't take the losing of the mid-90's by the Leafs or Habs.

So good for you staying loyal to your team. I despise the Sens so much since I came here for Uni, I didn't mind them so much before as I lived in Leaf country.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
"i was getting my wallet from my car" if you get caught

come on, I am sure you're good at thinking on your feet. As long as you don't admit to anything, you can deny, deny, deny
You've done this a lot, I see.

Old
03-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
I was just really POed....I was looking forward to watching the game all day. I had been to this place 2 or 3 times before and never had any problems with watching the Habs, thats what made me think that it would be a good place to watch it being downtown and all.
Remember the server's name?

OH, I just remembered a trick. Pay credit, and write your nasty comments all over the bill where you sign...because they have to keep the receipt, and it will be seen. Oh yes, my friend...it gets seen.

Old
03-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
I would have purposly ordered beer, and more beer, and more wings and at the end of the night simply walked out the door without paying.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
You've done this a lot, I see.
nah just twice, but because the people never showed up with the bill
so we just bounced, we waited for like 20 mins and even asked atleast one other person where was our bill

Old
03-25-2007, 01:38 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That's why unless you were born in the 1920's or in 1993 you're just a bandwagon Sens fan. Couldn't take the losing of the mid-90's by the Leafs or Habs.

So good for you staying loyal to your team. I despise the Sens so much since I came here for Uni, I didn't mind them so much before as I lived in Leaf country.
I know exactly what you mean, I just moved to Ottawa...I am from Nova Scotia....but spent some time in Toronto...and I never minded the Sens...but I can't stand them at all anymore...and thier fans...not sure why they are as cockey as they are, pisses me off...
...and I had a similar problem at Wayne Gretzky's in Toronto... but I told the leaf fans to go watch it on the other 100 tv's that were around ha ..and Steve Sullivans dad was there watching his preds game on tv with his wife and got me 2 beer for standing up to a leafs fan in Toronto ha

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Habs13

I would have walked out without paying...

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Boulette Cannon

Bank Hotel on Eddy st. = Best place to watch Canadiens hockey games in Ottawa/Hull region. Sure you sometimes get some old drunken guys speaking to you about stuff you don't want to hear, but usually the place is empty and you have the big screen TV to yourself! The beer is cheap too!

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenator1 View Post
I've seen this happen in Halifax as well (in January).

I was visiting there, and went to the Oasis sports bar with some Leafs fans friends.

There were people watching the Habs and Bruins game already, but they got overruled by 2-3 tables of Leafs fans that arrived later (including us), and the game was switched. No matter how much the Habs table complained, the bar refused to change it back. Unfair, but that's how it goes. They would have the Habs or Sens games on a smaller TV in the back of another room. Another main TV always had the Pens for fans of the local hero Sid the Kid.
I'd guess that was an isolated incident. Oasis has always been great for me and finding a Habs game, the only times it has not worked out is when I was the one who was late and all the other TVs were taken. Which is my own fault.

They've always been good to me about putting it on and in those situations where I am late, they actually watch out and come tell me if a TV opened up.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote