HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT | Rangers @ Islanders | March 25th | 12:30pm NBC

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2007, 09:48 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I have a bulletin for you. If we continue to play with this kind of determination, defensive soundness and beyond belief goaltending, we'll have a shot a lot sooner than 3-4 years. A run deep into the playoffs is not out of the question this year.
True, but let's get in first before we start talking about any runs.

Old
03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
polako

ortmeyer embodies all the qualities I've wanted in a Ranger for 10 years (minus the stone hands, of course).

he's reckless abandon on the pk has covered up for more than few boneheaded penalties/bad refereeing calls over the season.

and, as Ola pointed out, he's defensive focus has made it much easier for Cullen, Prucha to focus on their scoring.

finally, he costs almost nothing against the cap. Not every player on this team has to be able to score 20 goals. I want him on this team until he can't skate or block shots anymore.

Old
03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Everyone on the board is making the guy out to be the next straka. its not going to happen. He may make the NHL, but he wont stay there long.
No, what a lot of people have seen is a kid who, despite the belief that he's going to fall by the wayside, has continued to progressed at every level, (until this year). I personally think he's a 2nd liner, and he's going to get squeezed out by better all around players. I hardly consider that "bust" material.

Old
03-25-2007, 10:16 PM
dank

In Jamaica, just got news of these last two wins... Wow.

Good game? Summary?

Let's keep it going.

Let's Go Rangers!

Old
03-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the question is in what role does one expect Ortmeyer. Ideally, you'd like the top two lines to get a couple less minutes, and the third line to get a couple more. Jed has two goals. Should a guy with two goals in 35 games, and not many career goals, be getting 13 minutes per game, or under 10. I'm thinking the latter.
The one thing I can say in Ortmeyers defense is that I think he creates a lot of chances with his defensive play. He'll break up rushes or be in position to block shots/passes and turn the play back down the ice. That helps out his linemates quite a bit...but yes, it's difficult to justify icetime when he isn't scoring much himself.

Old
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

Ortmeyer is a must keep... Getting rid of guys like him for youth is just forcing it too much...

He's a very very good 4th liner who can also play on the 3rd line imo. But guys like him should stay. He's relatively phyiscal, our best penalty killer, and actually causes scoring chances although he doesnt finish much.

Old
03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

what do you guys think will happen when hossa/tyutin come back

im loving our combos of

Jagr-straka-nylander shanny-avery-cally orts-cullen-prucha

then we have out 4th line which has been getting the job done...do you put hossa back in the 1st line and bring straka down?..or do you put hossa on the 3rd/4th line..keeping in mind how well hossa did with Jagr

Also once toots gets back..do we scratch strudwick?..i mean the way girardi/pock have been playing no way you can send them down

Old
03-25-2007, 10:52 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
what do you guys think will happen when hossa/tyutin come back

im loving our combos of

Jagr-straka-nylander shanny-avery-cally orts-cullen-prucha

then we have out 4th line which has been getting the job done...do you put hossa back in the 1st line and bring straka down?..or do you put hossa on the 3rd/4th line..keeping in mind how well hossa did with Jagr

Also once toots gets back..do we scratch strudwick?..i mean the way girardi/pock have been playing no way you can send them down
I'd say that when Hossa comes back, Callahan goes back to Hartford for their playoff push, Straka centers a line of Avery and Shanahan and Nylander centers a line of Jagr and Hossa. The bottom 2 lines should remain the same. When Toots comes back, Strudwick will be sat.

Old
03-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Petemo

I say when Hossa gets back we use the lines of

Hossa - Nyls - Jags
Avery - Straka - Shanny
COP
Hollweg - Bettsy - Orrsy

I leave anyone out?

Old
03-25-2007, 11:26 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post
I say when Hossa gets back we use the lines of

Hossa - Nyls - Jags
Avery - Straka - Shanny
COP
Hollweg - Bettsy - Orrsy

I leave anyone out?
You'd rather use Orr than Callahan!?

Old
03-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
As an Islander fan, the biggest win of the day was holding you guys to ZERO "Potvin sucks" chants today.
sorry man, i heard one in the second period.

Old
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I would. At least for now.

Old
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
As an Islander fan, the biggest win of the day was holding you guys to ZERO "Potvin sucks" chants today.
I was watching the game today with my newest grandson, Aidan born a little of a week ago and along comes his cousin, my eldest daughter's son, Dylan 2 months old, my 1st grand son Aidan turns to Dylan and mumbles something to Dylan, both turn to towards the game on TV and say "Potvin Sucks" and each turn and look at me and give me the biggest smiles in their young lives. Somethings come naturally!

Old
03-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13 View Post

i dont know what part of long island your from......but that was one the dumbest things ive ever read on these boards......theres lots and lots of us.......and for you to say say something like that almost seems self serving......so you and your 2 buddys are the only true ranger fans on long island.......congrats .....

but i know prob at least 50 people personally myself who would dissagree with you..
If you and Slapp have to question me on this, you were likely not born yet.

When I was a kid(which is a hellava lot longer ago than I like to think about)suddenly the Rangers were not the only game in town anymore. Even more suddenly people that had been Rangers fans only weeks/days before were amazingly, disgustingly, instantly, bandwagon Islander fans. On the south shore, in the town I lived in, these cretins were everywhere and in your face if you were a Rangers fan. Especially after Parise's goal. That would be J.P. Parise.

Also when I was a kid, I had to hike ten miles through knee deep snow to get to school. Before they had buses or cars. But that's another story........

Old
03-26-2007, 12:06 AM
Petemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Yeah, where the **** do you put Cally?

Everyone else has earned their spot on the team, he is just a replacement for the end of the season until Marcel comes back.

Old
03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
Block More Shots

Tyutin in for Strudwick
Hossa in for Callahan
Girardi and Pock stay...Rachunek, depending on when he comes back, will stay scratched.

As much as I hate to sit Cally, I think we owe it to Hossa to put him right back on the top 2 lines. Hossa's play before the injury was great and was one of the main reasons we got back in the playoff hunt. Without his scoring in those stretch of games, I'm not sure where we'd be right now.

The only other player that could be scratched is Orr but I think he's proven to be a good 4th liner for us and his tenacity has really helped us.

It's going to be a tough call but ultimately, I think Callahan will be sent down.

Old
03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

:shrug:

I didn't think they played all that well tonight, but of course I'll take it.

Old
03-26-2007, 12:35 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
:shrug:

I didn't think they played all that well tonight, but of course I'll take it.
Just like they didn't either yesterday in Boston. But 2 wins is still 2 wins. They need to get their offense going again though pretty soon. It's a great feeling though, knowing that 2 goals can be enough with Hank between the pipes.

Old
03-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
I was watching the game today with my newest grandson, Aidan born a little of a week ago and along comes his cousin, my eldest daughter's son, Dylan 2 months old, my 1st grand son Aidan turns to Dylan and mumbles something to Dylan, both turn to towards the game on TV and say "Potvin Sucks" and each turn and look at me and give me the biggest smiles in their young lives. Somethings come naturally!
A 1 week old baby and a 2 month old baby said Potvin Sucks?

Old
03-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post
Yeah, where the **** do you put Cally?

Everyone else has earned their spot on the team, he is just a replacement for the end of the season until Marcel comes back.
I'm just worried that the more young energy we take out of this lineup, the worse off this team is gonna be.

Do not forget that this team put on this run with kids in the lineup...not vets.

Old
03-26-2007, 03:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think the rank of our PP is a bit misleading though, because more often than not we score 3 or 4 in one game and then nothing or close to nothing in all the others. The sad part is when we score 3 or 4 in one game it's usually a game where the 3rd or 4th goal doesn't really mean squat. Then when we have oppurtunities in important games like today we come out completely empty handed.

If the Rangers can even this problem out while we still have time we should be more than set for the playoffs I think. Right now it's a bit lacking though
I can't argue that, when we do well against a PK we often score several times, and thoose PK's are often on poor teams.

Though, beeing around 20% is where almost all teams are in this league. Its not like NYI for example are better then putting away close games with their PP then we are.

My point is just that at times, it seems like we got the worst PP in the league, that its a disaster ect. Thats not the case comparing with other teams.

Old
03-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Buddhaa

What a difference a good goalie makes. Since NYR has Lundquist it is finally a playoff team for the second straight year. Another excellent example is Vancouver where after quite a few years of having a potent offence but mediocre goaltending and resulting mediocre results, the team is finally a real contender with Luongo in goal.

Old
03-26-2007, 05:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhaa View Post
What a difference a good goalie makes. Since NYR has Lundquist it is finally a playoff team for the second straight year. Another excellent example is Vancouver where after quite a few years of having a potent offence but mediocre goaltending and resulting mediocre results, the team is finally a real contender with Luongo in goal.

Til they win a series in Vancouver, nothing's changed. A playoff team, finishing high in the regular season, with zero playoff success.

Old
03-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
A 1 week old baby and a 2 month old baby said Potvin Sucks?
Season 2 of 'Heroes' will tell the story of an Atlanta area Rangers fan and his two...'gifted' newborns.

Old
03-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

By the way the penalty killing has been amazing. Betts and Rosi and Orts and even Marek. Thats the reason, with henrik, we are winnning.

Closed Thread