HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden: Yay Or Nay?

Old
03-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Redden: Yay Or Nay?

What do you think it would take to get him in the summer and do you think he'd be willing to resign here?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
After losing Chara, I think Ottawa will hold on to him like a fat kid holding on to a fudgesicle.

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Soundwave

Keep in mind though that Heatly is a UFA the following season, and Spezza is a tier 2 RFA (they probably would want to lock him up long term, but that will mean bigger dollars).

Old
03-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Doc Scurlock

I'm not familiar with Ottawa's financial situation. Do they fall in the group that has a team budget when it comes to spending? i.e. the Oilers

Or can they spend all the way to the cap no matter what it is? i.e. the Leafs

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post
I'm not familiar with Ottawa's financial situation. Do they fall in the group that has a team budget when it comes to spending? i.e. the Oilers

Or can they spend all the way to the cap no matter what it is? i.e. the Leafs
They probably can spend more. Then again, what Heatly will command on the open market is also apt to be monsterous. We could be talking $8 million/season.

I propose Staois + NYI 1st round pick + Winny for Redden. Winny is more of a throw in. Staois does a lot of the defensive shut down stuff that Redden does for half the price and is signed longer term. With Philips, Corvo, Mesazaros, I think they still have enough offense on the blueline.

It would be a risk though, if Redden does not sign an extension, it would be Lowe's head. I think a lot will depend on what Ottawa does in the playoffs this year. If they make it to the Conference Finals at least, they will probably keep the squad together. If it's another 1st/2nd round exit, then Redden is probably definitely on the market.

Old
03-25-2007, 02:37 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They probably can spend more. Then again, what Heatly will command on the open market is also apt to be monsterous. We could be talking $8 million/season.

I propose Staois + NYI 1st round pick + Winny for Redden. Winny is more of a throw in. Staois does a lot of the defensive shut down stuff that Redden does for half the price and is signed longer term. With Philips, Corvo, Mesazaros, I think they still have enough offense on the blueline.

It would be a risk though, if Redden does not sign an extension, it would be Lowe's head. Then again Ottawa is also in the same sticky situation.
See Heatley to me is a bit of a wild card. He seems happy in Ottawa and if they're still challenging for a cup when his contract ends I can see him taking less money to stay in Ottawa. I have nothing to back this up with, I'm strictly going by my gut feeling here.

Old
03-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Soundwave

Maybe ... in Ottawa's position, I'm not sure if you want to gamble on that or not though. Again, a lot of the Redden situation probably will come out of what happens in the playoffs this year.

Another 1st/2nd round exit, he's probably out. Conference/Stanley Cup finals though ... they'll risk it and keep him. I think they already were thinking about resigning Heatly + Spezza though when they signed Redden to a deal as short as they did. I don't think it's really a coincidence his current deal is up the same year Heatly's is.

Old
03-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Soundwave

I would like Redden, but I think Markov (MTL) might another possibility and would be signable longer term, so you wouldn't have to worry so much about the extension issue I guess.

Old
03-25-2007, 02:55 AM
Spawn

Redden hasn't had the greatest of seasons this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he was available for the right price.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Soundwave

There's only so much I would give though considering he's a UFA in one year.

Staois + NYI 1st rounder is pushing it as is, because that NYI pick could turn out to be say Keaton Ellerby or Esposito.

I wouldn't give like Lupul + Greene or something crazy up for him.

Old
Doc Scurlock

From the looks of this year's playoffs are looking to be quite important for the Oilers even though they're not in them.

If Tampa Bay gets eliminated early, one of the big three is pretty much guaranteed to go.

Ottawa goes early, Redden's probably up for grabs.

Any other team's I'm missing here that might be willing to deal a decent player if things don't turn out so well for them in the playoffs?

Old
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
I would like Redden, but I think Markov (MTL) might another possibility and would be signable longer term, so you wouldn't have to worry so much about the extension issue I guess.
Except there's virtually no way that Montreal doesn't re-sign Markov before July 1, right?

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:58 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Except there's virtually no way that Montreal doesn't re-sign Markov before July 1, right?
Unless they sign Souray first of course. Who knows. If no Markov, then I would target Brad Stuart and try to gain Van Ryn, Zidlicky, or Kuba in addition via trade.

Torres + Lupul + Horcs + Greene
for
Horton + Van Ryn

Then sign Stuart + Hartnell.

Sykora Horton Hemsky
Hartnell Stoll Nilsson
Moreau Pouliot Pisani
Thor Reasoner (open spot)

Stuart Staois
Van Ryn Smid
Gator Grebshekov

That's a pretty significant improvement on the blueline I think.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-25-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old
03-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post

Any other team's I'm missing here that might be willing to deal a decent player if things don't turn out so well for them in the playoffs?
If Atlanta craps in the first round, expect major changes (Hossa please!!! I can dream!) and there GM to get fired.

Quote:
Unless they sign Souray first of course. Who knows. If no Markov, then I would target Brad Stuart and try to gain Van Ryn, Zidlicky, or Kuba in addition via trade.
Brad Stuart is majorly overrated. If the Oilers couldn't get markov or Souray, I'd still rather get Rafalski, Timonen, Salo over Stuart.

Old
03-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Soundwave

Then again, Stuart is also likely to be cheaper than a Timonen, and guys like Salo are a bit redundant as we already have Staois + Gator.

If we got Van Ryn already, we would need a good puck mover who can also do a bit of everything, and Stuart can even if he is a bit overrated.

If Timonen signs anywhere other than Nashville I'd almost gauruntee it would be Philly. They want him, they have his younger brother coming up to pair him with, and they have a ton of cap space to spend to boot.

Old
03-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Matts

It depends

on what we have to give up for him, what he'd sign for longterm and also how much are budget projects for the present and near future.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If Atlanta craps in the first round, expect major changes (Hossa please!!! I can dream!) and there GM to get fired.
I don't see them trading Hossa or Kovalchuk. I could see them trying to deal Holik but who the hell wants Holik?

Old
03-25-2007, 03:17 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Then again, Stuart is also likely to be cheaper than a Timonen, and guys like Salo are a bit redundant as we already have Staois + Gator.
I believe it was Curtis Joseph who dubbed Sami Salo the finnish Mckinnis. Sami Salo is a good PP d-man, with an absolute rocket from the point, and a much better first passer than either Smith or Staios. I personally think Salo is better in every catagory than Stuart is, and could be had for the same, or even maybe alittle cheaper than Stuart

Old
03-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Soundwave

We've heard Vancouver is going to spend up to the full $47/$48 million cap though.

I think they'll keep him. I would mind either Stuart or Salo + Van Ryn though ... that's a pretty vast upgrade in puck movement and all those guys are experienced without being old. I really don't think Calgary is going to give Stuart a fat, long-term deal ... they have to keep as much cap open for summer 2008 for obvious reasons.

Old
03-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I believe it was Curtis Joseph who dubbed Sami Salo the finnish Mckinnis.
I'm not meaning to be a ***** here man, but it's MacInnis.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

As the President of the "Redden will be an Oiler by July 1st, 2007" band wagon(est. September, 2006), I of course say Yay because A)he is a friend of mine and B)because he is EXACTLY what our blueline needs....a number 1 d-man that can log 28-30 minutes a night, paired with Jason Smith to form an excellent shutdown combo and QB our PP. Him comming here will happen ALMOST guarenteed IMO if these two things happen. 1) The Sens get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round and 2) If the Sens lock up Tom Priessing. It could still happen without these two things, but if these two things happen it almost makes it a lock.

As for what I would give up/what the Sens would want, it wouldn't be SMALL, but we could afford it. I would think they would want two of Torres/Jacques/Winchester and I would think they would want one of Greene/Staios/Smith. My offer would be Torres, Winchester, Syvret and Anaheim's 1st. I know it's not exactly what I said they would be looking for, but I think it's a fair offer.

As for extending Redden.....he has a place in Edmonton(or at least he did last summer), and I think if Lowe said "we'll just add 3 more year's to your deal now so it becomes 4 years/26 million" he would accept it....although his agent is Don Meehan, so Meehan would probably ask for 7.5 mil a year for 7 years

BTW, having said all this, I've never ever been told by Wade that he expects to get dealt to Edmonton, or dealt period, and then if he would or wouldn't sign an extension with us. I know for a FACT that he would be very happy to play here and it's just me speculating that he would sign an extension. With Meehan, there is a good chance he would sign an extension, but probably not until June 30th 2008 at around 11:56 PM!

Old
03-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Soundwave

His agent is ... Meehan. Barf. He'll want $8 million then and will be a complete b-tch to sign to an extension.

What about Horcoff for Kubina or even (gasp) McCabe straight up? Toronto overspent on their blueline big time, both in the past have been able to score and are under contract for several years gaurunteed.

Old
03-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
His agent is ... Meehan. Barf. He'll want $8 million then and will be a complete b-tch to sign to an extension.

What about Horcoff for Kubina or even (gasp) McCabe straight up? Toronto overspent on their blueline big time, both in the past have been able to score and are under contract for several years gaurunteed.
HAHA! I think Blue Swade would have a say in it! His off year wouldn't put his price tag any higher then it is, which is why I think Lowe could just add 3 or 4 years to his current deal and it would get it done. He'll be 30 on June 12, so a 4 year extension on his deal wouldn't be bad IMO.

Old
03-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Soundwave

If he's willing to sign an extension for about $7 mill/per, I'd give them Staois + Winny + NYI 1st rounder. Torres though ... it gets really tough to move someone like that, you're getting into the relam of overpayment there IMO.

Torres Gomez Lupul
Sykora Stoll Hemsky
Moreau Pouliot Pisani
Thor Reasoner Nilsson

Redden Hejda
Gator Smid
Sydor Grebshekov

Good luck signing Lupul and Stoll if they explode during contract years for points though.

Old
03-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Soundwave

The Meehan thing is a real turn off for me regarding Redden.

Lupul + Pouliot or Cogliano + Winny for Bergeron (Boston)
Horcoff + Moreau for Kubina (Toronto)
Greene + NYI 1st rounder for Zidlicky (Nashville) This is a salary dump/prospect replenish move for Nashville
Sign Marty Gelinas (UFA)

=

Sykora Bergeron Hemsky
Torres Stoll Nilsson
Gelinas Reasoner Pisani
Thor Brodziak JFJ

Kubina Zidlicky
Staois Smid
Gator Grebshekov

That's a pretty good balance of experience + skill. Maybe a little soft with Moreau gone though, that might be an issue. Maybe sign a goon/enforcer rather than Gelinas. By around the All-Star break, hopefully Schremp is ready to come up. If we get a little lucky and nab Cherepanov in the draft, wow, that would be great.

Last edited by Soundwave: 03-25-2007 at 07:01 AM.