HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden: Yay Or Nay?

Old
03-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
After losing Chara, I think Ottawa will hold on to him like a fat kid holding on to a fudgesicle.
Don't be so sure about that. Redden his taking alot of heat here in Ottawa for his large price tag and average play. At one point, he was plus 2 on a team that overall play +40. And before you say that he lines up nightly against the other teams top line, apparently that honour goes to Phillips and Volchenkov.

If the Sens can sign Phillips, if the price is right, I think the Sens would have no problems trading Redden.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:59 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
I think Redden could be available for the right price - a young, servicable Dman, a forward, and a high pick. The Sens are facing some significant contracts next year and that might mean trading Redden at the deadline or facing him walking without anything in return like they did with Chara. Obviously resigning UFAs like Heatley and Fisher will be priorities, as will RFAs like Spezza, Vermette, Eaves and Meszaros. They essentially the entire core of their team coming up for contract in the same year. Unless they can dump Gerber and Corvo in the offseason, getting Redden under contract after 07/08 could be very hard.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I think Redden could be available for the right price - a young, servicable Dman, a forward, and a high pick. The Sens are facing some significant contracts next year and that might mean trading Redden at the deadline or facing him walking without anything in return like they did with Chara. Obviously resigning UFAs like Heatley and Fisher will be priorities, as will RFAs like Spezza, Vermette, Eaves and Meszaros. They essentially the entire core of their team coming up for contract in the same year. Unless they can dump Gerber and Corvo in the offseason, getting Redden under contract after 07/08 could be very hard.
I agree with this. Locking in Heatley LONG TERM this offseason you would think is there number 1 priority. I think he makes 3.5 mil a year right now(think), the extension could add 3 mil more to that. Fisher will get a nice raise, probably another million, Emery will get a nice raise, 1-1.5 mil a year more, and of course if they lock up Priessing, he'll get a nice bump. Plus they'll look to add a 2nd line centre(MAYBE Horcoff). Even though Gerber has had a nice 2nd half and got some of his game back, I don't think any GM is going to think he warrents that contract. I just REALLY think Redden will be dealt to give them the flexibility to do these things this summer, and you have to remember the fact that they've had this great season without Redden being a key component. It would be the perfect time for them to do it....unless he rips it up at playoff time

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I'm not that interested in trading for Redden. If he wants to be here in the Summer of '08, than that's great. But to trade a top 6 forward (regardless if they look it this year) and one of our high DPs (ANA's is a different story) isn't an amount I would be willing to pay for what is essentially, a year of Redden. If he wants to play for his hometown, he'll come in '08.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:43 PM
jblaze

I'd think Lowe will most likely shop KIMMO TIMONEN this off season

jblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Gunner8811

Looking at the Oilers blue I say yay.

Gunner8811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Ottawa might decide to trade him because he's not playing good.

I say NAY because of his pay. I want Timonnen badly in this team!!!! (But this might not happen)

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:23 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
If Atlanta craps in the first round, expect major changes (Hossa please!!! I can dream!) and there GM to get fired.

Brad Stuart is majorly overrated. If the Oilers couldn't get markov or Souray, I'd still rather get Rafalski, Timonen, Salo over Stuart.
Couldn't agree more with the Stuart comment, hes still a great defenseman and I really like his game but not worth the 5 million he could end up getting.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Soundwave

What about Pavel Kubina from Toronto? They overspent on D last year, we could get him for nothing or dump Horcoff or some of our more undesirable contracts on them.

I know he hasn't had a great season this year, but is a former All-Star, 6-4, has a canon of a point shot, and has produced big time offensive numbers. He also has big time playoff experience, having won a Cup with Tampa, and from the times I've watched him, he's a solid puck moving d-man.

If you added him + traded for Zidlicky, our blueline becomes a lot more stable.

Kubina Zidlicky
Staois Smid
Smith Grebshekov

4 vets, 2 spots for the young-uns, two major PP QBs/puck movers with experience.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
chance

Trade for Redden, sign him, then sign Briere.

If not, try to sign Timmonen and trade for an impact leftwing/center.

chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:09 AM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Meehan thing is a real turn off for me regarding Redden.

Lupul + Pouliot or Cogliano + Winny for Bergeron (Boston)
Horcoff + Moreau for Kubina (Toronto)
Greene + NYI 1st rounder for Zidlicky (Nashville) This is a salary dump/prospect replenish move for Nashville
Sign Marty Gelinas (UFA)

=

Sykora Bergeron Hemsky
Torres Stoll Nilsson
Gelinas Reasoner Pisani
Thor Brodziak JFJ

Kubina Zidlicky
Staois Smid
Gator Grebshekov

That's a pretty good balance of experience + skill. Maybe a little soft with Moreau gone though, that might be an issue. Maybe sign a goon/enforcer rather than Gelinas. By around the All-Star break, hopefully Schremp is ready to come up. If we get a little lucky and nab Cherepanov in the draft, wow, that would be great.
You overvalue our players a LOT. Why in the hell would Boston give up Bergeron for a guy who won't crack 20 goals this year, a mid to low prospect, and a fringe NHL player for a guy they just locked up long term. Bergeron is almost a point per game player, and young. Awful deal for the Bruins, sometimes our own Oiler fans can be worse then Leaf or Habs fans.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Soundwave

As always those packages are just starting points. For Bergeron, Cogliano could also be on the table, same with Stoll, and additionally Torres. (Not all at once, but some combination thereof).

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:43 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
You overvalue our players a LOT. Why in the hell would Boston give up Bergeron for a guy who won't crack 20 goals this year, a mid to low prospect, and a fringe NHL player for a guy they just locked up long term. Bergeron is almost a point per game player, and young. Awful deal for the Bruins, sometimes our own Oiler fans can be worse then Leaf or Habs fans.

Probably because its Boston, look at there trade history over the past couple years.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:02 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Reddon is getting 6.5mill next year and then is onto the UFA market

so I would not touch him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
I would ok with Redden, I like his game alot, but on the condition he signs a long term extention and doesn't welch on that.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Epic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I believe it was Curtis Joseph who dubbed Sami Salo the finnish Mckinnis. Sami Salo is a good PP d-man, with an absolute rocket from the point, and a much better first passer than either Smith or Staios. I personally think Salo is better in every catagory than Stuart is, and could be had for the same, or even maybe alittle cheaper than Stuart
I agree, Salo is da bomb. A highly underrated D-man. Also, Wade Redden is one of the best all around defensemen in the league. I think his poor year this year has more to do with poor goaltending then anything.

Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:08 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
What do you think it would take to get him in the summer and do you think he'd be willing to resign here?
There's really not much this Oiler team has to offer right now in terms of trade value.

And no.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Yes, please trade for him, there isn't much not to like about Redden, plays with ice in his veins, logs a ton of minutes, plays great Defence, PKs, PPs, kinda like a guy we had before?? I hope the price isn't over the top, i can live with us giving up Top prospect + High Pick + Good/under achieving need change of scenary Roster player + maybe a tad bit a salary dump (if we can sneak it in for 'salary' purposes). But man would Redden make our blue-line that much more respectable:

Redden-Smith
Hejda-Staios
Smid-Grebs
Gilbert

I believe Greene might be on the package going over, maybe a replacement for Phillips down the years maybe??

If not, if one of Timonen or A.Markov are available, go hard for them. My biggest nightmare, and i would cry if it happened, and have heard here or there it might, Souray as an Oiler, we would be paying a crap load for PP skills, i hope not, absolutely not, K-Lowe would screw up big time if that happened.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
reidjr

It would take a alot of edmonton to get redden.Right now edmonton does not have enough to offer for redden.

reidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
It would take a alot of edmonton to get redden.Right now edmonton does not have enough to offer for redden.
What do you think he's worth?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
misfit

I'm definately on the "aquire Reden" bandwagon. I'd rather sign Timonen or Markov in the summer, but we'd also be competing with 29 other teams for his services. When you trade for someone, at least you know you'll get him...well, unless you're trading for Pronger anyway.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:35 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Reddon is getting 6.5mill next year and then is onto the UFA market

so I would not touch him
I doubt Lowe would complete a deal for him without Redden agreeing to an extension first (like the Pronger deal). Whether Redden would agree to that is the question. Given the way has played this year, it could be in his interest to sign an extension now rather than having another sub-par year going in to UFA status.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Wolfpack

When I look at the Oilers potential defensive line-up for next year a couple of things pop into my head.

First, too many young, inexperienced players. I'm guessing that one of Greene, Smid, Grebshekov, Gilbert will have to go. I think all of those guys are ready to play full time in the NHL... can't really see any of them being happy to play in the AHL... so I'm anticipating hearing either Greene or Gilbert's name mentioned in a trade at some point this summer.

I like Greene's game, but in today's NHL there is a high premium placed on puck-movers and d-men that can put up points. How many offensive defencemen did we see move at the trade deadline? It willl be much easier to aquire crease-clearers in the years to come.

Personally I like what I've seen of Tom Gilbert thus far, and I think he could develop into a "safer" version of MAB.

I think Kevin Lowe has his eye on teams that are close to the cap that are put out in the early rounds of the playoffs.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by reidjr View Post
edmonton has more then enough chips to make an offer for just about anyone not playing in the penguin land. Redden is one year away from being UFA and comng off a not so great year making the superstar $$. Smid + Edm 1st is plenty for someone like him.. would i do it.. NO

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:44 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackadaisical View Post
edmonton has more then enough chips to make an offer for just about anyone not playing in the penguin land. Redden is one year away from being UFA and comng off a not so great year making the superstar $$. Smid + Edm 1st is plenty for someone like him.. would i do it.. NO
If we could sign Redden to a contract I'd do it in a heartbeat.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote