HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Thoughts For Next Year Via Free Agency..

Old
04-13-2007, 07:22 AM
barnburner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I would like to see Owen Nolan on a 2 year contract...
Just say no to Nolan.
I still remember him ending Geoff Courtnal's career with that gutless cheapshot to the back of the head.
I don't care how much talent he's got - I don't ever want to see that piece of garbage wearing the Bluenote.

barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
fatnickmo

What about Robert Lang. With PD resigning in Detroit I don't see him back with the wings???

fatnickmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnickmo View Post
What about Robert Lang. With PD resigning in Detroit I don't see him back with the wings???
He will be 37 soon after the season starts next year...how much will he have left? How much money will he want?? And for how many years??

Seems like a risk to me. But I guess if Drury or Briere are gone and we can get him "cheap" and on a two year contract....I would consider it.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Note - FWIW, I'm pretty sure all the ages in parentheses are correct as far as what age they will be at the start of the season. If a guy was born in October or November, I gave the age he will be by Oct/Nov of 2007. I might've messed up one or two. And obviously age isn't everything. I did it for comparison purposes in terms of who is a long-term piece potentially and who is a flip-a-condo Bill Guerin type. Just wanted to have all the names in one place.

One weird thing is I remember being in college at the same time Kariya was, and yet being shocked to see him at 33. I expected something like 38, seems like he's been around forever. Couple guys like that on the list.

For the record I am a huge Drury fan. He's my top target. I suggested looking at wingers a few posts back as an addition rather than an instead-of.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
execwrite

Quote:
He is well worth it.

I don't know about the Datsyuk part, Maybe your right. But I think if there is a player out there anymore that is "not about the money" anymore...it's got to be someone like Drury. (judging on things I have read about him and his life over the decade).

I think for Drury it's more the right situation for him and his family...Remember he has never gotten to pick his place to go. (drafted by Quebec who Colorado took over his rights...traded to Calgary in 2002 and traded again in 2003 to Buffalo) Obivously he has re-signed with those teams in the past...but that just shows his loyality.

He has 2 young kids (we all know how st louis is a great place to raise a family) and if he wins a Stanley Cup for Buffalo for the first time ever (first time of any sport). He's got to see how much that means to a town like Buffalo, and how much that would mean to St Louis and how he could leave his legacy behind in 3 different cities (Denver, Buffalo and St Louis). And be remembered in Buffalo and St Louis hockey forever! Since he would be our Captain.

And still get paid a 20 million or so contract that will set him up for life.

Time will tell though.
Based on your thoughts, Drury will sign with the Rangers.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 02:55 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Whoever we pick it I am hoping that we sign them for short term. 2 years at most. Overpay for those 2 years if necessary but that way the cash is cleared by the time Soderberg/Berglund/Oshie/Johnson and the ilk start knocking on the door.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2007, 03:20 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Based on your thoughts, Drury will sign with the Rangers.
Why do you say that?

Old
04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Why do you say that?
The family stuff and money. He's from Connecticut and the Rangers will give him a boatload. I don't think he's looking for a new place to raise his family.

Old
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
The family stuff and money. He's from Connecticut and the Rangers will give him a boatload. I don't think he's looking for a new place to raise his family.
That's a good point. I always forget how close NY is to Connecticut.

Hope your wrong...for the Blues sake.

Old
04-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Carl Racki

Send a message via AIM to Carl Racki
The Blues just have to hope that LP has some sort of relationship with Drury from Team USA...and that JD can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Carl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 09:43 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

If we can't find a #1 center it would be nice to try for once to give Weight some wingers that he doesn't need to try and make infinitely better.

The chemistry he and Guerin still had was nice.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2007, 06:39 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
If we can't find a #1 center it would be nice to try for once to give Weight some wingers that he doesn't need to try and make infinitely better.

The chemistry he and Guerin still had was nice.
I agree. The wingers Weight had over the years was a complete joke.

Old
04-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Gman7191

Anybody think someone like Robert Lang would be a good addition. He would add some veteran ledership and still manage 50 to 60 points. Also what about Wayne Prieamu.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 12:50 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7191 View Post
Anybody think someone like Robert Lang would be a good addition. He would add some veteran ledership and still manage 50 to 60 points. Also what about Wayne Prieamu.
We don't need players who are 7s at best. If we are going to go the veteran route then they need to be salvage projects that can be flipped at the deadline. That is, former 8s now considered damaged goods. On a team like this they have a real opportunity to get ice time and rebound, then return us 1st rounders in a big draft year like 2008.

Old
04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
On a team like this they have a real opportunity to get ice time and rebound, then return us 1st rounders in a big draft year like 2008.
As Eric Brewer said recently:
"anything less than a playoff berth next season is unacceptable".

This team does NOT plan on holding another firesale next year. If we sign somebody this summer, it will be with the intention of bettering our PO positioning. We are NOT going to take on a Nolan or Allison or Lang unless we think they still have enough left in the tank to get us into the PO's AND help us once we get there. This team has no intention of "suffering" or "trading players for draft picks" for another year. That part of the rebuild is officially over.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 07:17 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

That doesn’t tell us anything. All players with professional pride should have that attitude. Doesn’t mean it will happen. And leave it to the player who is most overrated on the team (at least in salary) to make a statement like that. It means little to nothing.

I could see this team making the playoffs and I could see it missing the playoffs. A lot depends on who we add. And to become a playoff team we need to add way more scoring.

Before you start in with extolling the magnificence of the roster and explaining that the way we finished the season means we absolutely will be a playoff team, remember that I know that’s something you do every year. The year we finished dead last in the NHL you argued to the bitter end with great elaboration right before the season – with Pronger already traded – that we’d be fourth in the West. Now, I know the extreme reaches of the optimism bell curve goes with the kimzey territory and I accept it, but let’s not even bother getting into it until we know what forwards we’re adding in the offseason because until then it’s useless. Right now all the team has under contract (10) or RFA (2) up front is Hinote, Drake, Cajanek, RJ, Mayers, Rucinsky, Weight, Boyes, McClement, Backes, Stempniak and King. That is not a playoff caliber scoring roster, especially with a defense that does not score almost at all, especially given that injuries are a given every single season.

Old
04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
St.Louis sports fan

The objective for the Blues is to win the Stanley cup not be a marginal team that just get's into the playoffs. Besides this roster is one of the softest in the entire league and until they add some toughness they are going nowhere. And I don't mean a King that will be in and out of the lineup at 5 min. a night. I mean a top three liner.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:19 AM
HarmonyOfDissonance

Send a message via AIM to HarmonyOfDissonance
Definitely would like to see Drury or Briere, Gomez, and Hartnell all in a blue note next season. Seeing as that's unlikely to happen. I say we get Hartnell as he really fits in with our youth movement. Gomez while not going over 20 goals other than this season has only had less than 40 assists in a season once 01-02 which is exactly what i want my first line center to do. I don't care if he scores goals. I want him to set up goals. Something that Gomez obviously does well.

HarmonyOfDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Lang is 36 - he'll be 37 in December. We don't need another aging, declining player. His last four seasons, his points have dropped from 79 to 74 to 62 to 52 ... and he's played more games every year in that stretch. No thanks.

Primeau would be great ... if we needed a 4th-line center. We don't. We already have Wayne Primeau on the roster - his name is Ryan Johnson.

04-22-2007, 12:08 PM
execwrite

Anyone think Peter Forsberg could be next year's Bill Guerin? I don't think he's going to get a big-money offer from anyone.

Old
04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
I wouldn't want Lang for free. He is softer than Pee-Wee Hermans bicep. We need warriors, not Casper the friendly play-off ghost.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 02:50 PM
StLooFrenchy

Quote:
Anyone think Peter Forsberg could be next year's Bill Guerin? I don't think he's going to get a big-money offer from anyone.
The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Foppa is definately in the twilight of his career, but I am sure that someone (Rangers? Detroit?) will offer him top dolla next season.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 03:43 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
That doesn’t tell us anything. All players with professional pride should have that attitude. Doesn’t mean it will happen. And leave it to the player who is most overrated on the team (at least in salary) to make a statement like that. It means little to nothing.
1) YES, it does mean something, especially since JD has recently echoed those same sentiments. While YOU may consider Brewer overrated; the TEAM veiws him as one of the top 2 D men at the moment. He is a CORE player for us and is stating this teams objective for next year. If a message from one of the core players on this team isn't clear enough for you nothing ever will be.

2) This team does NOT VIEW ITSELF as a middling team like most of you think. Brewer's comment is evidence that JD is looking at Murray's initial stretch with this team and expects a PO berth next year(and NOT a 7 or 8 seed). JD is going into this offseason with an "on the cusp" attitude. This team has NO INTENTION of being a way-station for another year. If we sign somebody, it will be with intention of having them help us in the PO's; NOT as a trade chip to get more #1 picks.

kimzey59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Here's what I get from how the team views itself: it's part of an attitude the franchise is trying to get ingrained up and down the organization, and one that's long overdue. JD doesn't want this team playing with the, "ooh - I know we're 3rd overall and our opponent is dead last by 25 points, but ... gosh I don't know, I hope we can get lucky and eek out a win tonight" attitude like they seemed to have for most of the last 5-7 playoff seasons, and playing more with the "who cares what the standings say - we think we can beat you and we're going to do it" mentality it's desperately needed.

If you've got an average team and think, "gee, we're an average team", chances are they'll play like an average team. However, if you've got an average team but think you can beat anyone, they'll probably overachieve and have a better chance of making something special happen. I think that's what JD wants - despite everything we have in the pipeline and everything they're trying to do, all of the pieces will more than likely never be in place so that we're perfectly set ... but if we play with an attitude and play with confidence, we can overcome it.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2007, 04:54 PM
St.Louis sports fan

I think that we all understand the "attitude" that the new regime has turned around, but most of us aren't buying it for this team next year. This is a soft and mediocre team at best. And just maybe if the other teams (Chicago, LA, Columbus, Phoenix) don't improve then we may sneak into the playoffs and get trounced. I'm on board with everything that JD and Co. has done aside from Brewer, but realisticly speaking this team is just buying time until the next couple of years when Oshie, Berglund, Soderberg,etc. and a better EJ are ready to do some damage.

St.Louis sports fan is offline   Reply With Quote