HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

bowman about Theo ;he's going to do the difference

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 12:17 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
bowman about Theo ;he's going to do the difference

Yvon Pedneault

Monday December 15 2003 - Scotty Bowman is doing well. Very well even. To tell you the truth, he is in splendid form. He lives in the Sarasota area of Florida now, and has occasion to watch many games either on television or by driving to Tampa. Saturday evening he was on a roll.

On his possible participation in the world cup tournament?

"No. I don't intend to manage the United States team."

On the possibility of returning behind the bench in the NHL?

"I am in excellent shape but it's not my intention for the most part. I love what I'm doing at present..."

On the race for a place in the playoffs?

"I like the Canadiens chances," he says. "The team has impressed me tonight (Saturday against the Lightning). You can immediately see that Sheldon Souray adds another dimension to the team's defense, when Patrice Brisebois is there, I imagine that it is a veteran defense, a defense which has good resources."

Julien does his job well

Agreed, but...

"That guy," he continues without waiting for another question, "That guy, Claude Julien, is a good coach. I've observed him since the beginning of the game and he hasn't been outsmarted by his counterpart. He manages to send out the players he wants to against the best Lightning scorers. I have a question..."

What?

"Why didn't Niklas Sundstrom play more often at the beginning of the season?"

Because...

"He's impressive tonight," he says answering his own question, preferring to hear what he wants to hear, "I know that Sundstrom was a good player for defensive situations and I also know that he can create good scoring chances."

Very well Scotty, thank you...

"You know, this race for a playoff spot, it will be interesting and captivating. Look at the Eastern Conference, the Canadiens will be in the hunt, that's for sure. There are talented players on this team, this Bulis, he's fast, when you give him space he makes good decisions. So, the Canadiens will be in the hunt and they will be there for one reason: Jose Theodore."

Théo's influence

In any case, he seems to have found his form of two years ago...

"Yes, yes... Let us forget Philadelphia, New Jersey and Tampa (because of the weakness of the South East division). There will be 10 clubs that will fight for the other positions. Toronto will be there, Ottawa also, Boston perhaps. But, the Canadiens, and I'm not saying that they will finish ahead of the Leafs and Senators, but Theodore is the best goalie of the group of teams that will be fighting it out. I don't think I'm mistaken on this point. And you know as well as me how a goalie can change all the odds."

Yes, of course Scotty, but you will excuse me...

"You believe that Bob Gainey will do a good job?... "

I believe that...

"I am convinced of it, he has experience, shrewd judgement..."

Thank you Scotty but I must go, the period is starting in a few minutes...

"Until next time... "

My best wishes for the holidays...

Fortunately good old Scotty remains attached to hockey. He continues to consult for the Red Wings, and also does promotional work for various corporations, and he is always careful never, publicly, to say a bad word about the sport which has made him famous for the last 40 years.

It is by observing him in the press gallery that one realizes to what degree this league is blind. That its leaders think only of their egos than of the fans, while stubbornly not being willing to create a revival committee with men like Bowman, Gretzky, Lemieux, Serge Savard, Orr and company...

Stubborn? No, stupid!

- http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/HOCKEYLNHCAN3FDD1DD1.html

Old
12-15-2003, 12:31 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
Yvon Pedneault

Monday December 15 2003 - Scotty Bowman is doing well.
"I like the Canadiens chances," he says.
Julien does his job well
You have to value Bowman's opinion. The man is hockey. I am happy that he echoed some of my thoughts. I like Julien, I like the fact that he thumped Ribs and reminded hom that he hasn't scored 50 goals in a season yet.

As well, I agree on Sundstrom, and not only since that amazing wrist shot this weekend. He is a good defensive forward, and has a spot on that third line. Make room for him (and some room for the rookies). We all know who has to go.

Old
12-15-2003, 12:36 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
You have to value Bowman's opinion. The man is hockey. I am happy that he echoed some of my thoughts. I like Julien, I like the fact that he thumped Ribs and reminded hom that he hasn't scored 50 goals in a season yet.

As well, I agree on Sundstrom, and not only since that amazing wrist shot this weekend. He is a good defensive forward, and has a spot on that third line. Make room for him (and some room for the rookies). We all know who has to go.
i think that he have some skill , but he need to show more what he's able to bring to the team.I think that playing with Begin is good for him ;he have talent , he now have to learn to fight more .

Old
12-15-2003, 12:54 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
i think that he have some skill , but he need to show more what he's able to bring to the team.I think that playing with Begin is good for him ;he have talent , he now have to learn to fight more .
I think, like all nhl'ers, he was unhappy with how he was used and his ice time. Favouring Dackell and Juneau over him is a mistake. As for Begin...I love 'em! I hope he doesn't resigh for $2 million and become another comfortable 3rd line "superstar". I hope he keeps the fire!!!

Old
12-15-2003, 03:05 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
I think, like all nhl'ers, he was unhappy with how he was used and his ice time. Favouring Dackell and Juneau over him is a mistake. As for Begin...I love 'em! I hope he doesn't resigh for $2 million and become another comfortable 3rd line "superstar". I hope he keeps the fire!!!
i think that slowly the players begin to understand the Julien's system ; play hard and you're going extra time or promotion to a upper line"
Since 2-3 weeks , players like Ribiero , Perreault , Begin and Bullis, etc. are getting more or less time .After a while , Julien and Gainey are going to be able to know who are the players that don't really want to play...

Old
12-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Medicine Twin

Quote:

Because...

"He's impressive tonight," he says answering his own question, preferring to hear what he wants to hear, "I know that Sundstrom was a good player for defensive situations and I also know that he can create good scoring chances."
While I agree with him on his analysis of Sunny's game...even HE would've sat Sundstrom early in the season... Sunny looked really lazy at the start of this season but he's turned it up quite a few notches since being teamed up with Begin. Now Sundstrom is playing like Sundstrom can.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:24 AM
Darz

Ah......but what does Scotty Bowman know about hockey... :p

Old
12-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Ah......but what does Scotty Bowman know about hockey... :p
Not much, apparently - he didn't even mention the pretzel.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:54 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Not much, apparently - he didn't even mention the pretzel.
LOL!!!!!

I believe Scotty knows ALOT about the Sacred Pretzel, legend states he called on the powers of the salty grail sometime in '76 just before the habs won 4 straight cups.

Hmmm.........

Old
12-16-2003, 07:28 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
LOL!!!!!

I believe Scotty knows ALOT about the Sacred Pretzel, legend states he called on the powers of the salty grail sometime in '76 just before the habs won 4 straight cups.

Hmmm.........
Perhaps we should talk to Julien about doing the same...

Old
12-16-2003, 07:33 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Perhaps we should talk to Julien about doing the same...
Julien would probably reply, as some level-headed posters on this board would also say : "Screw the pretzel, just get me one Lafleur and a Big Three on defence, and I'll take care of the rest".

Old
12-16-2003, 08:03 AM
Démon Blond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Julien would probably reply, as some level-headed posters on this board would also say : "Screw the pretzel, just get me one Lafleur and a Big Three on defence, and I'll take care of the rest".
Kas with Komo, Hainsey, Souray and Markov should do the trick

Anyone feel like me, that Bettman should be shown the door and that Bowman should be commisioner of the NHL?

Old
12-16-2003, 09:06 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Démon Blond
Anyone feel like me, that Bettman should be shown the door and that Bowman should be commisioner of the NHL?
I'm all for that!!!!

Then again I'd be for Bettman being canned and being replaced with a woreout sneaker.

Closed Thread