HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry has to go

Old
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM
Loweball

vCash: 500
Do you hear the way he overpowers McLean? He is a control freak. He needs anger management classes. I love the fights, and I agree we need to get rid of the instigator. If you read my first post, this was not supposed to be about the content last night,, just about how he is a *****.

If you agree he can talk about Europeans, and Frenchmen, and puts down anybody who doesn't agree with him, and a man can yell and overpower people to get his own way, then yes my friend, you seriously need to grow up. This is far, far, above a television show about hockey and the whole conversation has gone way over your head.

Loweball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:55 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
You realize Coaches Corner is about 25 years old right? This is the bit Ron and Don have been doing for decades.

It's a show.

That's some nice broad generalization and judgment you're pulling there.

If you're tuning into Coaches Corner for functional hockey discourse, you're watching the wrong intermission. Satellite Hotstove has you covered for that.

Ron and Don are, more or less, characters who go by semi-rehearsed scripts and are meant to entertain. If you really think Ron MacLean is scared of Don Cherry ... maybe you really should e-mail CBC. The Fifth Estate is always looking for good stories.
Man now that would be funny, Hanna Gartner talking to Ron MacLean on a couch about how Cherry won't stop putting him down, can't we all just get along.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
I am sure most of you caught Coach's Corner last night. We have all talked about Don Cherry's antics but last night he was a complete idiot. I agree on the fighting issue but this isn't my beef.

He says "Zubrus, Zubov,,same thing" to Ron McLean yet when McLean said Colin (pronounced it Colon) Cherry was all over him. This guy is a complete circus side show now and needs some serious anger management councelling. You can see McLean is afraid of him and walks on eggshells during the segment and if any of the CBC directors running the replay segments don't cue on the exact second, he has a freak out. It's only a matter of time before he loses it and hits Ron McLean or swears or says something completely out of line that will get him canned. He needs to go. He is a complete embarrassment to Canadians. A hypocrite, a biggot and a redneck in the worst way.

My tax dollars pay his salary. I believe I have a say. Like all of you do. Email CBC like I have.
I would have to question the intelligence of anyone that is actually insulted by this character. Most people that mouth off about him probably just love the drama of ranting about something, it's the Canadian way to tear down anyone that aren't a series of please and thank-you encounters.

Keep guys like him in the media, if for nothing else to contrast the shilling media types and hopefully teach people that not everything the media feeds you is always remotely correct or intelligent in the least.

When you use your brain, you tend to be less offended by blowhards and more likely to appreciate their presence as opposed to the average bovine. This mentality makes it easier to understand why established journalists get there by feeding you nonsense more often than not.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:59 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Do you hear the way he overpowers McLean? He is a control freak. He needs anger management classes. I love the fights, and I agree we need to get rid of the instigator. If you read my first post, this was not supposed to be about the content last night,, just about how he is a *****.

If you agree he can talk about Europeans, and Frenchmen, and puts down anybody who doesn't agree with hi, and a man can yell and overpower people to get his own way, then yes my friend, you seriously need to grow up.
Dude get a life, I don't always agree with Cherry but in a free society he has the right to state his opinions, no doubt it does get him in trouble. Wakeup, it is the entertainment factor, remember your remote has a button to change the channel. He is a throwback of an era when for men it was okay to be macho.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
I would have to question the intelligence of anyone that is actually insulted by this character. Most people that mouth off about him probably just love the drama of ranting about something, it's the Canadian way to tear down anyone that aren't a series of please and thank-you encounters.

Keep guys like him in the media, if for nothing else to contrast the shilling media types and hopefully teach people that not everything the media feeds you is always remotely correct or intelligent in the least.

When you use your brain, you tend to be less offended by blowhards and more likely to appreciate their presence as opposed to the average bovine. This mentality makes it easier to understand why established journalists get there by feeding you nonsense more often than not.
I agree with that statement. I am talking however about a man who has alot of influence on people. Lots of people believe his word is the gospel. He is an arrogant control freak. I do not believe for a second his anics are scripted. The content is, but his actions and attitude are not.

He has to go. The sooner the better. Let's hope when CTV takes over HNIC, they let all the clowns go.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
OilerNut*

MacLean is meant to have the opposite opinion of Cherry. To cause debate. It is done on purpose and has been happening for years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3tCWrKi9T8

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:01 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post

Exactly, I mean look at Al Strachan, just look at him. Sorry great post.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:02 PM
okgooil

Grapes is a opinionated person in a day and age were people on tv arn't suppose to have opinions. do I agree with him, hell no, I would be worried if some one did. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be on TV, infact I for speaking his mind. He knows his hockey, and Don Mclean isn't scarred of him. Most of that is his TV persona, it is kind of a joke really. He shouldn't be let go, in fact I would go as far as to say he is a canadian icon.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:05 PM
Instant Rayman

Don Cherry adds some funny moments to the show. Let him stay I say! Besides what was wrong yesterday? That was a really great one. He even bad mouthed MacT which is wicked!

Instant Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:05 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
I agree with that statement. I am talking however about a man who has alot of influence on people. Lots of people believe his word is the gospel. He is an arrogant control freak. I do not believe for a second his anics are scripted. The content is, but his actions and attitude are not.

He has to go. The sooner the better. Let's hope when CTV takes over HNIC, they let all the clowns go.
So I guess if he tells me to wear Nikes and cut off my testicles and prepare to go on his galactic spaceship I better listen because somehow his gospel will influence me.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Loweball

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Dude get a life, I don't always agree with Cherry but in a free society he has the right to state his opinions, no doubt it does get him in trouble. Wakeup, it is the entertainment factor, remember your remote has a button to change the channel. He is a throwback of an era when for men it was okay to be macho.
Well that about sums it up. A throwback to an era when it was about being macho. Most people can see past that. I do. That is my point. I only hope today's generation can too. The Raw raw Canadiana has got tired. This Canadian respects all cultures. .

and for the record, I hardly watch Coach's Corner. I did not last night. I caught it this morning onthe CBC website so I could hear what spin he would put on the fighting issue. Because I know, some guys, like some of you, will agree with him because he's Don Cherry.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Loweball

Quote:
So I guess if he tells me to wear Nikes and cut off my testicles and prepare to go on his galactic spaceship I better listen because somehow his gospel will influence me.
Now you're just being stupid. Looking to argue.

Don Cherry has lots of influence on the hockey world and you can believe that or not. He rants on for ever about icing and fighting and rules etc for one reason. TO CHANGE THE RULES AND GET HIS WAY. He is on a mission and won't shut up until he gets his way. Every bloody CC he talks about the touvh icing. Shut up! Who do you think you are?? His antics are getting old. His attitudes are dated. He needs to go. If you think it's ok to talk to people that way, then i feel sorry for you or anyone close to you. Macho attitude is dead. So 1960's.

I'm outa here. i made my point.

Last edited by Loweball: 03-25-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old
03-25-2007, 07:12 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

It was only a comment about the throwback era, stop trying to spin it with all of your bullsplat. Speak for yourself, don't try to say most people unless you are prepared to back it up with facts.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:15 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Now you're just being stupid. Looking to argue.

Don Cherry has lots of influence on the hockey world and you can believe that or not. His antics are getting old. His attitudes are dated. He needs to go.
Looking to argue, are you that daft? Look at what I wrote, I am making fun of you. You seem to believe this man has an influence on peoples lives, are you for real?

Old
03-25-2007, 07:31 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Ah the usual liberal tactic, because there people who support Don Cherry apparently we are the ones who need to grow up. Explain to me how I need to grow up Edmund Oiler, I am all fingers waiting for your intelligent rebuttal.
Perhaps the commentating from figure skating is more for your liking, no bullying, no fighting, no hitting, just cheating.
OK, second politic post. Take it elsewhere. This isn't the place for your right wing bias.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Actually the post has nothing to do with politics, read closer I am having fun kind of like what Don Cherry does, raise hackles. Give your head a shake and perhaps you have an opinion on Cherry, I don't think I am that important for you.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

Quote:
Actually the post has nothing to do with politics, read closer I am having fun kind of like what Don Cherry does, raise hackles. Give your head a shake and perhaps you have an opinion on Cherry, I don't think I am that important for you.
You mean exactly squat to me. It's the "Liberal" references and the earlier "tax payers dollars to left leaning..." comments that will offend people and have no place on this forum. As for Don Cherry, yah I have an opinion, he's an institution, very entertaining and if you take him seriously then you might be a little too anal.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:41 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Right back at you, pal and no I do not take him seriously, do you know what sarcasm is? And like you said, he is entertainment that has been my point all along, so back off with your personal attacks, the discussion has been pretty entertaining in itself to get to this point.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

Quote:
Right back at you, pal and no I do not take him seriously, do you know what sarcasm is? And like you said, he is entertainment that has been my point all along, so back off with your personal attacks, the discussion has been pretty entertaining in itself to get to this point.
Re-read the last sentence. It was not directed at you. It was intended for those who take DC just a little too seriously. Sarcasm I understand and was not referring to your use of it at all, just your political references. Sorry if you felt personally attacked.

Old
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

No actually I did not feel attacked, I admit I got a little sidetracked there so it helps to be put back on topic. Anyways I agree Don Cherry should not be taken seriously, like the spat between Rosie and the Donald, now that was entertainment.

Old
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Shaynsaw

This problem will take care of itself. Next year will be CBC's last year with the national network hockey rights. They just don't have the money to compete with a bid from CTV/TSN.

Shaynsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:35 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynsaw View Post
This problem will take care of itself. Next year will be CBC's last year with the national network hockey rights. They just don't have the money to compete with a bid from CTV/TSN.
Right on!

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Matts

If you're talking about last night's segment...

as a reason for him to go then why not point to that old clip of him in LA during the Oilers/Kings series when he was doing his gay shtick and talking about his earring was on the left because that indicates he's "available."

Man that stuff is just uncomfortable to watch in the year 2007 and I can't believe CBC still airs it.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:00 PM
nesbit_21

The only problem caused by Don Cherry is when people like YOU, Edmund Oiler, take him too seriously.

nesbit_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:12 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbit_21 View Post
The only problem caused by Don Cherry is when people like YOU, Edmund Oiler, take him too seriously.
No the problem is the crazy old man and the fact his salary is paid by the public.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote