HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don Cherry has to go

Old
03-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The problem that I have with Don Cherry is that he hates Europeans. He said on national television that signing Hemsky was mistake. How is it a mistake to sign a 23-year-old to a 6-year contract.

03-25-2007, 08:21 PM
Instant Rayman

Just think of it as he's wearing a suit or whatever that you helped pay for. Then you'll be seeing some of your hard work on tv, better yet Hockey night in Canada!

Instant Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
nesbit_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No the problem is the crazy old man and the fact his salary is paid by the public.

Like him or not, the majority of viewers find him entertaining, I do. If you take him too seriously, or are too sensetive, then sure you may be offended...but welcome to Canada, land of free speech.

You also have the freedom to NOT WATCH if he bothers you so much, just like any show or entertainer you may deem offensive or unworthy of your time.

We need more people like Don Cherry, willing to take a stand, not be afraid to voice their opinion, right or wrong, and not be so worried about walking on eggshells trying to please EVERYBODY. People like that are always going to piss a few folks off along the way, but thats life, thick skin will do you good.

As for paying his salary? Please....worry about the politicians wasting your money, not Don Cherry.

nesbit_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Kreativ

Quote:
No the problem is the crazy old man and the fact his salary is paid by the public.
Well why don't you complain for the 5 cents it costs you to fund his salary back then.

Kreativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Magnus

I'm more concerned about the tax dollars being spent to pay the salaries of those influential rednecks in both the Alberta and Canadian governments.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Raoul Duke*

People always complain he hates Europeans, and his whole Zubrus/Zubov comment - but fail to follow up on why he brought him up in the first place:
To praise the work Zubrus did.

Yeah he hated Hoglund, he hates Ponakorovski.... but why wouldn't he?

I don't agree with everything he says, half the time he's completely out of touch.. But he's entertaining, I watch Coaches Corner every week for good or ill. You can't replace that sort of thing.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
People always complain he hates Europeans, and his whole Zubrus/Zubov comment - but fail to follow up on why he brought him up in the first place:
To praise the work Zubrus did.

Yeah he hated Hoglund, he hates Ponakorovski.... but why wouldn't he?

I don't agree with everything he says, half the time he's completely out of touch.. But he's entertaining, I watch Coaches Corner every week for good or ill. You can't replace that sort of thing.
I would actually be suprised at, because that guys does everything that Don loves but fight.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:44 PM
kurri_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
Don Cherry is a huge Leafs fan and Doug Gilmour fan..Kingston boy.
not everyone in ontario is a leafs fan.

As for don cherry he should be fired. I won't make any remarks that will cause him to sue HF boards, but I COULD.

kurri_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
I am sure most of you caught Coach's Corner last night. We have all talked about Don Cherry's antics but last night he was a complete idiot. I agree on the fighting issue but this isn't my beef.

He says "Zubrus, Zubov,,same thing" to Ron McLean yet when McLean said Colin (pronounced it Colon) Cherry was all over him. This guy is a complete circus side show now and needs some serious anger management councelling. You can see McLean is afraid of him and walks on eggshells during the segment and if any of the CBC directors running the replay segments don't cue on the exact second, he has a freak out. It's only a matter of time before he loses it and hits Ron McLean or swears or says something completely out of line that will get him canned. He needs to go. He is a complete embarrassment to Canadians. A hypocrite, a biggot and a redneck in the worst way.

My tax dollars pay his salary. I believe I have a say. Like all of you do. Email CBC like I have.
I watched that segment. It was unbelievably benign.
You should take your meds.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:27 PM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
who cares that his salary is paid by the public. he's a big part of the only thing on that particular network that actually makes money. the whole cbc is one money sucking drain, but there's one show that people watch, and like it or not, he's a big reason why. if you want to get upset about the network wasting money, there's no end of shows that throw my tax dollars out the window.

i never watch the early game, but i always tivo from 5:45 until 7:00 so i can catch cherry and hotstove. i don't take a thing the guy says seriously, but it's like guys that watch nascar for the accidents. there might not be one every week, but you don't want to miss it when it finally happens.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:47 PM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
You don't foot the bill for Cherry, hes part of the only thing on CBC thats makes money HINC, if anything Cherry helps you pay less in tax's for the CBC

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
razman22

Quote:
Cherry COMPLETELY bullies Mclean and thinks he can yell, raise his voice, put down anybody who doesn't share his redneck values. I am totally serious. If you agree with him, you are no better and have to grow up. McLean walks on eggshells.
I hate to break it to you, but most of the Cherry/Maclean banter is scripted. Don ranting and raving while Maclean semi cowers is all part of the act. Maclean walks on eggshells because that's their gimmick.

ps I hate to break this to you as well but the Easter Bunny isn't real either.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:08 AM
doormat247

Quote:
I am sure most of you caught Coach's Corner last night. We have all talked about Don Cherry's antics but last night he was a complete idiot. I agree on the fighting issue but this isn't my beef.
Don Cherry uses antics to get people to notice? Who knew?

Quote:
He says "Zubrus, Zubov,,same thing" to Ron McLean yet when McLean said Colin (pronounced it Colon) Cherry was all over him. This guy is a complete circus side show now and needs some serious anger management councelling.
Why, because he's an old man who gets confused on names and when a friend of his' name gets mispronounced he corrects MacLean. Was he all over him? C'mon bud, there was no anger in the correnction.

Quote:
You can see McLean is afraid of him and walks on eggshells during the segment and if any of the CBC directors running the replay segments don't cue on the exact second, he has a freak out.
If anything MacLean sometimes tries to goad Cherry into going into a tirade. On top of that the segment always ends with MacLean waying something clever that more often then not is a little jab at Grapes.

Quote:
It's only a matter of time before he loses it and hits Ron McLean or swears or says something completely out of line that will get him canned.
25 years and counting and still hasn't hit MacLean. And he's gone out of line plenty of times and hasn't gotten canned.

Quote:
He needs to go. He is a complete embarrassment to Canadians.
God forbid we don't all act politically correct right? I suppose people that like Grapes shouldn't be allowed to vote right?

Quote:
A hypocrite, a biggot and a redneck in the worst way
And this excludes him from giving his opinion? Should only moderates be allowed on television, lest someone says something that actually provokes debate?

Quote:
My tax dollars pay his salary.
Biggest misconception you have. Your tax dollars pay for the CBC. Your tax dollars subsidize the money losing programs that they put on television. Trust me, HNIC doesn't lose any money at all, and brings in a fair chunk of change that also helps subsidize the money losing programs on CBC. I'd be more apt to say Ford and Moore's pay Cherry's salary then you or I do. Our tax dollars pay the salaries for people on shows like the 5th estate (programs that aren't commercially viable, but still important).

Quote:
I believe I have a say. Like all of you do. Email CBC like I have.
I will totally agree with you there. If you dislike something on their channel you have every right to tell them that you don't like it.

Sometimes the best way to prove we are a great country is to allow people who's opinions make your blood boil speak their piece. This is still a free country and as long as you are allowed to have your say, he is allowed to have his say as well.

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
I am from Quebec and Don Cherry doesn't even exist to us. No one is insulted by him anymore because no one even watches the segments! The only time we hear about him is when the French media brings up something he said. They are so stupid because none of us watch nor care anyway.

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Walsher

I am actually amused by how badly he butchers names such as:

Ponikarovsky = Pokahonsky
Vishnevsky = Vishky
Antropov = And drop off
etc.

Like or hate him, he has his place on HNIC. McLean does a great job of facial expressions and interuptions to keep grapes in line. A bit of an idiot for sure, but serves his purpose.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:44 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesbit_21 View Post
Like him or not, the majority of viewers find him entertaining.
I have my doubts that that's the case anymore. My friends, family, and I all once upon a time enjoyed the segments, but his act has worn way thin for all of us, and now nearly everyone I know thinks he's an embarrassment. I'd be very interested to know what the ratings drop-off is for him vs. the first intermission of the late game. I suspect there's not much difference anymore.

Quote:
We need more people like Don Cherry, willing to take a stand, not be afraid to voice their opinion, right or wrong, and not be so worried about walking on eggshells trying to please EVERYBODY. People like that are always going to piss a few folks off along the way, but thats life, thick skin will do you good.
From where I sit, we have far too many people with more volume than sense as it is.

Quote:
As for paying his salary? Please....worry about the politicians wasting your money, not Don Cherry.
That's not much of a comeback. Unless Cherry is raking in cash for the CBC (and again, I would need to be convinced that there's much evidence of that anymore), then it's money badly spent.

callighenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:51 PM
doormat247

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Sh...5/1956531.html

CBC president Robert Rabinovitch said it was "distinctly possible" that the NHL would skate over to CTV. This would mean a loss of revenue for CBC estimated at $100 million a year, the committee was told. The CBC brass went on to say that if they lose hockey, they want more taxpayer money. Otherwise, Rabinovitch said, "we will have to seriously re-evaluate almost everything about English television."

***By that logic I would assume it means that NHIC is a money making venture, Cherry included.***

I suppose I could keep digging to find out if ratings really go down during Don Cherry's segment, but I'm pretty damn sure without even looking that it doesn't.

You may not like him, but I suspect that more often then not, you watch him

Old
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Mr Sakich

i actually do not have much of a problem with Cherry. He has his schtick and has been pretty consistant. That being said, I haven't watched a HNIC game this year and only one last year.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
doormat247

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2007/...659049-cp.html

Count all the CBC shows in the top 10.

I counted up to one.

Hockey Night In Canada's early game. Wait, doesn't Don Cherry do that game?

Old
03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Red Eyes

It is entertainment.......

Quote:

He says "Zubrus, Zubov,,same thing" to Ron McLean yet when McLean said Colin (pronounced it Colon) Cherry was all over him. This guy is a complete circus side show now and needs some serious anger management councelling. You can see McLean is afraid of him and walks on eggshells during the segment and if any of the CBC directors running the replay segments don't cue on the exact second, he has a freak out. It's only a matter of time before he loses it and hits Ron McLean or swears or says something completely out of line that will get him canned. He needs to go. He is a complete embarrassment to Canadians. A hypocrite, a biggot and a redneck in the worst way.

My tax dollars pay his salary. I believe I have a say. Like all of you do. Email CBC like I have.
It is entertainment. If he wasn't bringing in the dollars and the viewers he would be gone in a heart beat. As for him being a biggot and a red neck.......Do you actually think people believe his point of view?????? People watch him to see what he will do next...Its all entertainment pure and simple! It got you talking about the show...now someone else will tune in to see if you are correct..and so on and so on. Its entertainment.

Red Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eyes View Post
It is entertainment. If he wasn't bringing in the dollars and the viewers he would be gone in a heart beat. As for him being a biggot and a red neck.......Do you actually think people believe his point of view?????? People watch him to see what he will do next...Its all entertainment pure and simple! It got you talking about the show...now someone else will tune in to see if you are correct..and so on and so on. Its entertainment.
Sadly, without a doubt.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Sadly, without a doubt.
Not sadly at all. The vast majority of his points of view have merit.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:52 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247 View Post
I suppose I could keep digging to find out if ratings really go down during Don Cherry's segment, but I'm pretty damn sure without even looking that it doesn't.
I would say that without question ratings drop off during intermissions. It's just a question of how much the dropoff is for Cherry vs. someone else.

Old
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247 View Post
http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2007/...659049-cp.html

Count all the CBC shows in the top 10.

I counted up to one.

Hockey Night In Canada's early game. Wait, doesn't Don Cherry do that game?
Yes, I'm sure it's his presence that draws people, and not the 4+ million people in the Greater Toronto Area who would be inclined to tune in for the Leafs. Sound logic.

Old
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
GreatGretz99

He's kind of got the same appeal that Jackass does...you (I know I do) only watch to see how he'll embarrass himself next

I still love the segment he did last year about D men doing a full circle around the net to avoid a forcheck, he showed 4 or 5 clips of D going behind the net, picking it up hitting the first breakout pass and the puck getting out of the end, and then he showed one of prongs going coast to coast and setting up a goal...way to prove your point Don.

Just watching that video shows how much he knows...yes Jagr has no idea how to play hockey, because I'm positive no other DMan in the history of hockey has ever mis handled the puck on the blue line leading to a breakaway going the other way...its never happened except to Jagr...EVER!! I guess all the awards and scoring titles mean nothing because he lost the puck one time.

His rants on visors is also cute considering some of his favorite players wear them...if he's going to make a a-hole out of himself he could at least try to be somewhat consistent.

He's old, senile and needs to go to make room for someone who understands the new age of hockey.

GreatGretz99 is online now   Reply With Quote