HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Troubling remarks from MacT re: Nilsson

Old
03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
OntOilFan

vCash: 500
Troubling remarks from MacT re: Nilsson

"He showed he's got the skill level, but he has to develop more speed ... if he'll apply himself to that, he'll create a lot more," said MacTavish. "It's very questionable whether he'll be an impact player on our team next year. "

Isn't this just what a young hockey player just acquired wants to hear from his new head coach?

On the surface, MacT's remarks seem reasonable but I think they belie a deeper philsophy that he holds young players to: I doubt your ability and you have a long way to go before you're a part of this team.

What does everyone else think of these remarks? I mean, it *is* questionable as to whether or not Nilsson will be an impact player, but it just sounds like MacT already has his doubts (and isn't afraid to vocalize them) about a player that the organization acquired at the cost of its most popular and important player.

If he's this frank with the media, I would imagine he's even more blunt with the players. How do you think the average prospect would react to reading this or coming into camp and being told by the coach "You probably won't help us out this year but try your best."

I guess it's a question of philosophy.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

FWIW, Nilsson is probably just one of many assets that could be moved in a quantity-for-quality type deal this summer.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Soundwave

I don't really like the idea of moving Nilsson. For one he has good chemistry with Schremp. Secondly, he gives us a second line playmaker for relatively cheap.

We can't just rely on Hemsky to set up everyone all the time.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:53 PM
oilers24

I for one liked nilssons game. I though he possesses great skill, tremendous vision, and a solid skater. He is more of a play maker/passer but will shoot the puck. One thing i especially liked from his game was his puck recovery with was amazing everytime the puck left his stick he had his nose dirty getting it back which is more then i can say for other guys on our team.

oilers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Mizral

Am I the only one who think MacTavish is trying to motivate his players with remarks like these?

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Soundwave

Yeah I hope it's a motivational thing to lit a fire under the kid's ass so he comes into camp faster than before.

But with Mac T, who knows, lol.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 06:57 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If he's this frank with the media, I would imagine he's even more blunt with the players. How do you think the average prospect would react to reading this or coming into camp and being told by the coach "You probably won't help us out this year but try your best."
Realistically, you could say this to 9/10 rookies in the NHL every year and pretty much be bang on.

Quote:
Yeah I like the fact that he's honest in the media with respect to these kids. They've got work to do if they want to play in this league and it doesn't matter who you are. (eg. I bet Crosby worked his rear end off going into this season.)

However, MacT has a lot of nice things to say publicly about most of these kids as well. He's said a lot of good things about Pouliot and Thoresen this year and they've been pretty realistic as well (ie. To paraphrase "They'll be NHLers. They might not be top six material, but they're smart hockey players and they're going to play in the NHL and contribute somehow.") It's a little silly for you to pick out one of the half dozen comments he has made about Nilsson and then infer that MacT is a negative influence. With regard to players like Schremp and Nilsson, my recollection is that MacT likes to compliment their skills but remind them that they have some work to do. I don't see anything wrong with that.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
"He showed he's got the skill level, but he has to develop more speed ... if he'll apply himself to that, he'll create a lot more," said MacTavish. "It's very questionable whether he'll be an impact player on our team next year. "

Isn't this just what a young hockey player just acquired wants to hear from his new head coach?

On the surface, MacT's remarks seem reasonable but I think they belie a deeper philsophy that he holds young players to: I doubt your ability and you have a long way to go before you're a part of this team.

What does everyone else think of these remarks? I mean, it *is* questionable as to whether or not Nilsson will be an impact player, but it just sounds like MacT already has his doubts (and isn't afraid to vocalize them) about a player that the organization acquired at the cost of its most popular and important player.

reading between the lines, to me it says he was lazy in practice...i didnt think a whole lot about the kid when he dressed outside of the goal...a ppg player n the ahl seems about right i would say..not what we need here

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:03 PM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Mac T seems very military...I coach kids soccer...the last thing I say to a kid is that he probably won't contribute to the team... IMO a more appropriate comment would have been remarking on what he did well in his 3-4 games and leave it at that....by making this comment I could see the team becoming discouraged...LOwe say we will be on the up and up, then MacT lays the smack down on all the young guys...In MacT's world all the oilers offensive prospects are probably 6-7 years away

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:08 PM
theoil

I would think you want players on your team that appreciate a coach who says what he thinks. But then - different strokes.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Oilerdiehard

Well it is only one remark, it could just be constructive criticism. If we see more like that and he starts the year in the AHL then it will start smelling a little bit like a Chimera or Rita type situation where MacT has decided early a player is not a MacT player and that is that. I kind of wonder if MacT see's guys like Lupul, Nilsson, Schremp etc... and thinks there is no way they all play on my team at the same time. It could all mean nothing or it may mean a lot.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Spawn

I see nothing wrong with the comment at all...

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Traktor*

On the surface it's not much, but he also called out MAP, MAP, Thor, ripped MAB in front of the media, pulled marks after 1 shot and said that he should have had it to the media, even though the puck was tipped. He calls up Mikhnov to let him sit, and even worse than that there was NO communication between mac or Mikhnov or anyone and mikhnov for that matter. He mis-treated Winchester this year IMO. I think Winchester should have been a regular atleast, but to call up player from the AHL to play before Winch is just a slap in the face. Look at this team folks, it's getting even younger. Ask ANY player in the NHL what is the key for success, or ask any pro athlete and they will tell you confidence . The only way to improve is to think you are better than your really are. If you think your never going to be more than a 50 point player, chances are probably 99 percent that you never will be more than that. When a coach like macT makes the type of statements he does it just reenforces negative thoughts in a player. "islanders traded me because they didn't think much of me and it sounds like macT doesn't think I can make a impact either.. maybe they are right?? mabye I'm just not that good" that is what is probably going on in Nilssons mind. I'm probably over-reacting but then again maybe I'm not. Every player is different. The reason many called Bill Parcells one of the best football coaches ever was because he new how to motivate his players. He was like a psychiatrist that knew how his players minds worked. Some players needed to be pushed and called out and others needed to be pumped up with confidence, calling him out would devestating so Parcells would protect him. MacT has one style. Call out his players. I don't mind if he calls out Horcoff or Smith but he won't ever call out his Vets. He saves his shots for rookies that are playing not to lose, rather than to win. You see MacT is soo ******** defensive minded that players fear messing up. If you **** up 1 shift it could mean that you are benched for the rest of the game. MacT has is young players playing in fear and with no confidence. Again I'm probably over-reacting but I'm honestly worried about next year if MacT is still the coach. This team is obviously going to be young and I'm not sure if macT is the best coach you want with a team pretty much all under 25 years old.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
but the thing is

we have also seen comments from MAct saying guys with speed who do not know how to handle the puck at a slower speed

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

In the perfect withing-the-realm-of-Oil-Country/Boys-On-The-Bus-Mentality world, Messier signs a 2/3-year co-head coach contract, Simpson, the other dude (kinda old with glasses..) head down to the AHL to coach the farm team ('kay thats not perfect, but they ain't getting fired), and we have MacT handling PK and defensive wear-with-all and Messier handling the offensive side of the game and PP.

Unfortunately...

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Matts

Not surprising

Nilsson did all he could to avoid contact in the corners and there were times he was invisible overall. Like I said though he was playing tough opp so it's a lot harder to loaf and get off with it.

Basically RN is a skilled player but he's not skilled enough that all he has to bring to the table IS skill. He's not really gonna wow anyone so he'd better be prepared to put the work in as well. Early indications are that he's not so yee ha. That's not say he can't can change but he's already played about two full seasons in the A so if the hard work light soon doesn't go on then you'd better check the filament.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 07:59 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

C'mon baby light my fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
Nilsson did all he could to avoid contact in the corners and there were times he was invisible overall. Like I said though he was playing tough opp so it's a lot harder to loaf and get off with it.

Basically RN is a skilled player but he's not skilled enough that all he has to bring to the table IS skill. He's not really gonna wow anyone so he'd better be prepared to put the work in as well. Early indications are that he's not so yee ha. That's not say he can't can change but he's already played about two full seasons in the A so if the hard work light soon doesn't go on then you'd better check the filament.
Agreed. Nilsson had one good first game that I described as "all adrenaline" and then did very little with his short stint here. A player his size needs to anticipate better and to get to spots to win the puck which he did in his first game only. once I'd like to see a rookie forward in this org bring it for several games in a row.

Some of these forwards would do well to realize that they have to EARN a spot on this team as ordinary looking forward prospects are dime a dozen here. on the other hand maybe they DO realize that and don't mind being tradebait..

If i'm MacT I'd be absolutely sick of looking at rookies by now.

I am as a fan.

MacTs displayed the patience of a saint.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-25-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
"It's very questionable whether he'll be an impact player on our team next year. "
He's talking about next year. Why put all the pressure on Nilsson. It's eases the pressure on him and more or less means that MacT isn't putting the pressure of being an impact player next season. What's wrong with that?

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Magnus

My only question is... if you're gonna call out Nilsson on something, the last thing I would think of would be his speed. The games he played, he was skating circles around most of the other Oiler players. It really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I guess when compared to wunderkind Petersen, he wasn't as fast.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Heavy Dee

lets be honest here..he is a ppg player in the ahl for the last 2 years, he is NOT an impact player and he is 22 years old...I defintitely see him as trade fodder this summer...we NEED an impact guy...not another 20 goal potoential type of player...

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
We can't just rely on Hemsky to set up everyone all the time.
Soundwave....where the hell was this comment when I was making the case for Gomez???

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Personally, I love to jump all over MacTavish every chance I get....but this isn't one of them. He's talking about NEXT SEASON, not 3 or 4 years from now. And he said IMPACT player. I would say that's almost a positive comment! I have to be honest, Mac T before the game last night impressed me. Weather he'll follow through with this or not I don't know, but he talked about getting Lupul's game going and his confidence back, getting him out there for the 5 on 3's and what not. But, one reason I'm not a big Mac T fan is because he'll say that and probably do something else, like pad Toby and Pisani's stats instead.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:36 PM
Raoul Duke*

MacT is pretty honest with the media - and his players. He lets them know what he expects of them, and if they don't perform - he calls them out on it.

Tortorella does the same thing, for a while people thought Lecavalier was done in Tampa because Tortorella said to him and the media he's not playing well and needs to develop.

3 years later - the guy has over 100 points and about to kick 50 goals down. Holding a player accountable is what good coaches do, they're not there to baby players along.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

I wonder how much this comment or anything Mac-T had to say to Robert has affected him. The last 2 games that he's played in WBS he has been far from the same player that he was before being called up. Nothing like a good old fashioned Mac-T tear down of a player. Nilsson IMO should be getting groomed as Hemsky-lite for the 2nd line. We have some shooters, but not many passers/playmakers to set them up. I'm glad that he's already saying that he likely wouldn't ammount to much next season either. One would have to wonder if there'd be a rift between Mac-T and Nilsson's dad if Nilsson's old man thinks that Robert is getting crapped on.

03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootler View Post
lets be honest here..he is a ppg player in the ahl for the last 2 years, he is NOT an impact player and he is 22 years old...I defintitely see him as trade fodder this summer...we NEED an impact guy...not another 20 goal potoential type of player...
so you would rather have pisani @ 2.5M or Lupul @ 2.3M next year as our #2 RW? nothing wrong with a 20 goal potential player if he is costing u less then a million. With hemsky, lupul, pisani as top 3 RWs he'll most probably will be starting in AHL or on the 4th line with the big club.. therefore not an impact player..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote