HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Jack Johnson signs with LA

Old
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
While maybe that is true, the Oilers still lost. I'm too lazy to look this up, but who was the last 8th seed that actually WON the cup? Has it ever happened?

I don't think there's a lot of people doubting that the 'canes got a pretty good young defenseman in Gleason, but the whole point of the trade in the first place was to get help on defense for this season to try and stay in the hunt for the cup. If the 'canes miss the playoffs (which at this point is still a very real possibility), I would say that the trade was really a bad one for the 'canes because they basically gave up 7 years minimum of Jack Johnson for one year of not making the playoffs.

Now if Johnson turns out to be the next Brian Berard, then it wasn't a big loss, but it seems like the chances of that happening are pretty slim.
tim gleason is what 24? 25? while i agree that they thought they needed a guy to help them keep it going and go for another run, but a guy who will be part of the next three or four runs. jj wouldve been around too, but it goes with what i have said in the other boards thread - rutherford has always prefered veteran defensman to prospect/young ones. he doesnt think d make good top prospects and would rather have another team pay to develop them then acquire them when they become players. trading jj was hardly an isolated incident for the rutherford track record. pronger/tanabe/knyazev were all first rounders traded before they could develop. the defenseman he always prefers he acquired either after some other team developed them or just solid second tier d veterans he obviously prefers:
wesley, jeff brown, steve chaisson, brett hedican, aaron ward, leschyshyn, kevin haller, paul coffey. he drafted wallin when he was in his mid twenties. in todays cap world, he gets guys who are younger, under 27 but still developed further than prospects: commodore, hutch, seidenburg, tanabe part 2, and babs. babs is the perfect example, he would rather have babs over richmond, who may be the more talented prospect in the end but babs was ready to go now.

how this plays in the jj thing to me is, he never likes waiting on prospects, especially top ones. see staal/ward/ladd. he never has allowed a d prospect to develop in the team and become a regular. one exception - marek malik who was kept because they were so cheap and lacked depth back then. he doesnt think its worth it to pay d prospect top money while waiting for them to be the top players they are. he would rather have a guy who can make a difference now than anything people here would consider "future talent". to that end, i offer the trades - pronger for shanny, then the young primeau for older brindy, chaisson trade (prospect hnat domenichelli - top o prospect at the time), tanabe/knyazev for markov, 3 first rounders for wesley, first rounders for ozolinsh and weight...second for recchi plus all the extra younger players for recchi and weight. jj for gleason. the only moves for the future of any real weight over 13 years have been the trades of markov for williams and verbeek for a first rounder (giguere).

this is clear evidence of what he thought of jj going in, i know he says he thinks jj is special but his track record speaks for itself. its the reason anytime a trade rumour popped up the last three months we assumed ladd was going to be traded for anson carter. why? because thats jimmy rutherford in a nutshell. he'll trade anything for a guy he thinks makes them win now and in the near future.

after we last sucked, he promised a youth rebuild. what did he do? he traded for williams and got rid of vrbata/svoboda/brendl/oneill (all the relative youth outside of cole/staal/ward. then he signed cullen/kaberle/stillman/whitney/gerber and said there you go....a youthful rebuild.

this move was a typical jim rutherford move. most of the regulars around here know i wouldve fired the guy years ago. i wouldve done it after the burke/sanderson trade - alone. he threw me for a loop right off the bat when he trades pronger (first superstar young kid we ever had - and burke busted his butt to get him) for shanny, a guy who didnt want to play here and wasnt end to end enough to even make a difference. we already had slow guys who were good if they have a good passer. actually, he threw me for the bigger loop with the wesley thing. you can say that hey...we won a cup and went to the finals a few years ago! i would say the majority of the other years...in fact all but two i believe we werent even in the playoffs. it makes it about 4 playoff trips in about 12-13 years. only the hurricanes/whalers could have the same management after that, but i digress. we won the cup last year so its hard to argue the mans ability right now.

people who dont know the teams history freak out that he did it and think he has no idea what he is doing, to that i would say....wait till next year. this guy does it all the time, and always has. if he is a moron for this trade, than he has been a moron for 12 years and curiously no one cared until a few months ago. i dont know how i feel really, i think gleason is a good fit - but i do think they jumped the gun on what they couldve had...but i wasnt surprised after finding out. i knew it was too good to be true that we got the third pick and then got jj. this organization doesnt get lucky. ever. we even had to lose the draft lottery to get staal. ill take that bad luck any day of course.

holy **** my fingers are tired.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 03-28-2007 at 05:11 PM.
bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Alison

How many of you now wished that you had drafted M.Staal instead of JJ?

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
To be honest, I was heading into the draft hoping like hell we'd get Staal or Kopitar, because I didn't think there was ANY way that Burke would pass on Johnson for Ryan. Do I now wish we had picked Staal over JJ? Not really, either way we were still screwed injury wise entering the season. If Kaberle, Hedican, Tanabe and Wallin are 100% heading in I doubt the deal goes down.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:42 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Even if Johnson does go on to achieve great things in the NHL, we'll always have one thing over his head. It's Shiny and weighs about 32 lbs. Unless and until he gets one of those, not signing with Carolina was the biggest mistake he's made considering that he didn't lead Michigan to anything but a resounding "meh".
I went to Michigan and graduated after JJ freshman year. Trust me, there is a lot more at michigan he was enjoying other than hockey. he was having the time of his life. You can't replace college life in any way. Not even with a stanley cup. I guarantee you he doesn't regret the decision. He was a celebrity on that campus. Nothing better than being a celeb on a college campus. NOTHING

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:28 PM
kingmoore

University of Michigan sucks ass. He probably spent the whole time there walking around in search of a female under 300lb.

Go Spartans.

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:29 PM
kingmoore

okay sorry, that was a bit rough

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:41 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
i wouldnt have minded, i was positive jr would take him even at three - the scouts mustve talked him out of it.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
I went to Michigan and graduated after JJ freshman year. Trust me, there is a lot more at michigan he was enjoying other than hockey. he was having the time of his life. You can't replace college life in any way. Not even with a stanley cup. I guarantee you he doesn't regret the decision. He was a celebrity on that campus. Nothing better than being a celeb on a college campus. NOTHING
So true.

Of course it's nice to be a pro athlete making millions of dollars, but when you're 18-19, a star athlete in college, you're going to have a lot of fun and very little in the way of responsibility.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So true.

Of course it's nice to be a pro athlete making millions of dollars, but when you're 18-19, a star athlete in college, you're going to have a lot of fun and very little in the way of responsibility.
Well he wasn't making a decision like many football/baseball/basketball players who are instantly offered millions when they come out. I don't know about basketball really but in football those top picks get close to 30 million just for signing. In Baseball Drew Henson got something like 10 million without even proving his worth. Johnson was coming out for 850,000, which to me is a completely different situation. You offer me 850,000 to skip college and i'd think long and hard about it. Like i said, you can't replace being a celebrity on a college campus, especially with a measly 850,000 dollars. If you offer me 30 million then we can talk.

Michigan State does have hotter girls than Michigan, i'll give you that. What you fail to take note of is that the hottest girls at michigan are just as hot as the hottest girls at michigan state. And trust me, Johnson was having his pick of the any girl at Michigan that he wanted. So although Michigan state clearly has more beautiful girls, clearly Jack "Mother **********" Johnson would not have noticed.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Personal note to "JMFJ"... Keep your head up kid.

For anyone who didn't see it, Jan Bulis welcomed him to the NHL.

Don't take my bitterness the wrong way, I am not bitter towards Jack because he simply got traded. My dislike and loss of respect began when he threw an elbow to Downie's head 2 years ago at the World Juniors.

Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:15 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernzy12 View Post
Personal note to "JMFJ"... Keep your head up kid.

For anyone who didn't see it, Jan Bulis welcomed him to the NHL.

Don't take my bitterness the wrong way, I am not bitter towards Jack because he simply got traded. My dislike and loss of respect began when he threw an elbow to Downie's head 2 years ago at the World Juniors.
Funny thing is that elbow didn't connect and downie still hit the ice like he ran into a Mack truck...

Also, Johnson's head was up. He just got hit with a good play by Bulis

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Funny thing is that elbow didn't connect

I laugh each and every time I read that comment. So based on the "elbow didn't connect", that makes everything ok...Tell me, you see one of the players on your team (Whoever you may cheer for) get a vicious elbow from an imposing player directed at his head... Which side of the fence would you be on? a) Dirty play/intend to injure, yah i'm a little p'ed off b) Well... atleast he didn't connect, so everything is ok, I'll let it go, no hard feelings.

Like it or not, Johnson threw a vicious elbow. For anyone to argue that, whether he connected or not, it was dirty and I lost respect for the guy. However, that is just my opinions and feelings on it.

So anyway, I was watching the news tonight and man #1 on the street had a gun pointed at man #2... Pointed the gun directly at him (Luckily missed, thank the good lord above) But in the end, it's all good because the bullet didn't hit the target.

Like I said, whether he connected or not, it was dirty and from that night on I lost respect for him. I am a Canes fan now, was a Canes fan then, Johnson was our top prospect, but when I see something like that go on, sorry, no place in the game for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf5SanphHBo

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-30-2007 at 12:19 AM.
Old
03-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Stayed up and watched the whole game to see how Johnson would do tonight. A few notes.

- The first Canucks goal was Jack Johnson's fault. They put him out there on the PK, which was a mistake, and he got exploited. The puck went behind the net and he left Smolinski all alone out in front of the net. The puck carrier sent the puck out front and Smolinski had time to eat a sandwich before potting it. After that gaffe, Johnson didn't see any more time on the penalty kill. Smart move.

- Johnson got SMOKED by a huge hip check by Jan Bulis. He did a flippin' cartwheel. When it gets up on youtube, i'll put the link in here. Flat out demolished. Scott Thornton takes a penalty defending Johnson because he wasn't aware of the incoming hit, and the Canucks score. 2-0 Canucks. Two mistakes by Johnson.

- Johnson played decent on the powerplay, but looked really lost as to what his assignment was going to be. He acted like he was "roaming" on the powerplay instead of playing a point position. There were times where he cheated up on the play and snuck into the slot when the puck was behind the net and I was just waiting for him to be made to look stupid with a hard around on a vacated point. He makes sharp passes, but he wasn't ever in the right position for them to be effective. He made smart pinches in the offensive zone at even strength, but it didn't look like he had his head up to see where his players out front were. Like he was using his skating ability just for the sake of using his skating ability. Reminded me a bit of David Tanabe circa 2000 with his play. Wanted you and everybody else in the building to know he could skate, but didn't really do a whole lot with it.

- With about 4 minutes left and the Kings down a goal, Johnson could have easily taken a penalty against Matt Cooke for a jab he threw at him after the play was over. It looked like a lack of discipline and it could have cost the Kings a chance to tie it at even strength. If it's anybody other than Johnson in his debut game, they might make that call. Cooke was going at him all night and it looked as if he got in Johnson's head a little bit.

- On the empty net goal, Johnson was stripped of the puck when trying to organize a rush up the ice and it was potted by Daniel Sedin. He looked uncomfortable with the net behind him empty and coughed it up. Not a good showing. They probably should have went with another defenseman to start the rush in such a pressure situation.

Overall, I think the Kings stand a chance of winning this game without Johnson in the lineup. He's learning on the job, but I didn't see a whole lot tonight worth writing home about. He'll get his fair share of points once his game rounds out, but even if he had scored a goal tonight he was partially or directly responsible for three against despite only finishing a -1 for that turnover with the empty net.

Last edited by Vagrant: 03-30-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Watching the replay of the hit on Johnson again in a slower view, looks as if his head was indeed down. It's not that he was strictly skating with his head down, but he was at the time of the hit looking down.

Old
03-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernzy12 View Post
Watching the replay of the hit on Johnson again in a slower view, looks as if his head was indeed down. It's not that he was strictly skating with his head down, but he was at the time of the hit looking down.
He was skating without being aware that he was being lined up. Regardless of if your head "appears" to be up or down, if you're skating without being aware you're being lined up, you're going to get cleaned up. The bad part is that his teammate took a penalty for him with the whole "team toughness" bit. Cost the Kings a goal.

Old
03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Stayed up and watched the whole game to see how Johnson would do tonight. A few notes.

- The first Canucks goal was Jack Johnson's fault. They put him out there on the PK, which was a mistake, and he got exploited. The puck went behind the net and he left Smolinski all alone out in front of the net. The puck carrier sent the puck out front and Smolinski had time to eat a sandwich before potting it. After that gaffe, Johnson didn't see any more time on the penalty kill. Smart move.

- Johnson got SMOKED by a huge hip check by Jan Bulis. He did a flippin' cartwheel. When it gets up on youtube, i'll put the link in here. Flat out demolished. Scott Thornton takes a penalty defending Johnson because he wasn't aware of the incoming hit, and the Canucks score. 2-0 Canucks. Two mistakes by Johnson.

- Johnson played decent on the powerplay, but looked really lost as to what his assignment was going to be. He acted like he was "roaming" on the powerplay instead of playing a point position. There were times where he cheated up on the play and snuck into the slot when the puck was behind the net and I was just waiting for him to be made to look stupid with a hard around on a vacated point. He makes sharp passes, but he wasn't ever in the right position for them to be effective. He made smart pinches in the offensive zone at even strength, but it didn't look like he had his head up to see where his players out front were. Like he was using his skating ability just for the sake of using his skating ability. Reminded me a bit of David Tanabe circa 2000 with his play. Wanted you and everybody else in the building to know he could skate, but didn't really do a whole lot with it.

- With about 4 minutes left and the Kings down a goal, Johnson could have easily taken a penalty against Matt Cooke for a jab he threw at him after the play was over. It looked like a lack of discipline and it could have cost the Kings a chance to tie it at even strength. If it's anybody other than Johnson in his debut game, they might make that call. Cooke was going at him all night and it looked as if he got in Johnson's head a little bit.

- On the empty net goal, Johnson was stripped of the puck when trying to organized a rush up the ice and it was potted by Daniel Sedin. He looked uncomfortable with the net behind him empty and coughed it up. Not a good showing. They probably should have went with another defenseman to start the rush in such a pressure situation.

Overall, I think the Kings stand a chance of winning this game without Johnson in the lineup. He's learning on the job, but I didn't see a whole lot tonight worth writing home about. He'll get his fair share of points once his game rounds out, but even if he had scored a goal tonight he was partially or directly responsible for three against despite only finishing a -1 for that turnover with the empty net.
How can he be responsible or partially responsible for 3 goals when he was only on the ice for 2? Yeah he made a mistake on the first goal by leaving the front of the net but him getting stripped and 3 other Kings not getting to the puck with Heward falling down with Sedin on Hewards side of the net isn't really his fault.

As far as his jab on Cooke after the play that happens all the time with no penalties called. Cooke went out of his way to try and get under his skin and got a thank you very much. He was jawing at him for a few hellos and a good slash that Cooke deserved. You throw an elbow up on a player coming to check you dont whine at the guyy afterward. Cooke was trying to take runs at him all night and wasnt being succesful.

He played an overall decent game for his first NHL game. He made his share of mistake like all rookies are going to do. Stepping into the NHL straight for the NCAA is a big adjustment. Hes going to have his share of mistakes. It happens to all rookies. The big thing is how long will it take him to learn from them.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:38 AM
Fielddog

Quote:

- On the empty net goal, Johnson was stripped of the puck when trying to organize a rush up the ice and it was potted by Daniel Sedin. He looked uncomfortable with the net behind him empty and coughed it up. Not a good showing. They probably should have went with another defenseman to start the rush in such a pressure situation.

Wow, I'm not sure what game you were watching, but not the Kings game I was at tonight. I guess you want to paint a bad picture of JJ, since he wouldn't sign with your team, but come on, he played a very good game for his 1st game in the NHL. I could refute every one of your points, and let your Hurricane fans hear an unbiased opinion of his game tonight, but why waste the effort. As a moderator I would expect more from you...

Fielddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
How can he be responsible or partially responsible for 3 goals when he was only on the ice for 2?
Partially responsible because the powerplay that the Canucks scored on after Johnson got demolished was a penalty that happened because Johnson got demolished. It was a penalty that Thornton had to take because Johnson wasn't aware he was being lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
Yeah he made a mistake on the first goal by leaving the front of the net but him getting stripped and 3 other Kings not getting to the puck with Heward falling down with Sedin on Hewards side of the net isn't really his fault.
Turning the puck over inside the blueline when you're the quarterback coming up the ice with an empty net behind you is never anybody else's fault. If you're feeling too much heat, circle around and wait for your teammates to get back open. I know he was short on time, but we saw what the alternative was. If you're not able to get it to a teammate then you eat it. It was a rookie mistake. I'm not busting him too hard for that one, but he's going to have to learn better habits in that situation.

Quote:
As far as his jab on Cooke after the play that happens all the time with no penalties called. Cooke went out of his way to try and get under his skin and got a thank you very much. He was jawing at him for a few hellos and a good slash that Cooke deserved. You throw an elbow up on a player coming to check you dont whine at the guyy afterward. Cooke was trying to take runs at him all night and wasnt being succesful.
I was only saying it would have normally been called because they were hacking and slashing before the play even ended. Johnson slashed Cooke on the hands right in front of the officials before the play ended and as they were skating off, Cooke wasn't even looking at Johnson and they were skating beside each other and Johnson shoved his glove into Cooke's face. You'll see that called every now and again and to even put yourself in the "chance" that it gets called is not being aware of the situation on the ice. Cooke would have loved nothing better than to eat two minutes off the comeback chance for the Kings with shorthanded time. He has to identify who the pests are and when to respond to them. I'm sure you've seen Avery do it enough times to players with anger problems that you recognize it when you see it. He was trying to goad Johnson into taking a penalty and it nearly worked. A few other officials blow that play.

Quote:
He played an overall decent game for his first NHL game. He made his share of mistake like all rookies are going to do. Stepping into the NHL straight for the NCAA is a big adjustment. Hes going to have his share of mistakes. It happens to all rookies. The big thing is how long will it take him to learn from them.
I agree with all that except it being a decent game. He looked terrible out there tonight. I think it all depends on how he learns from the mistakes he made tonight and puts it towards his next game. He's not done after his first game for crying out loud, but to call it anything other than a stinker to me isn't accurate.

Old
03-30-2007, 12:41 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielddog View Post
Wow, I'm not sure what game you were watching, but not the Kings game I was at tonight. I guess you want to paint a bad picture of JJ, since he wouldn't sign with your team, but come on, he played a very good game for his 1st game in the NHL. I could refute every one of your points, and let your Hurricane fans hear an unbiased opinion of his game tonight, but why waste the effort. As a moderator I would expect more from you...
If you can refute them, then feel free to do so. There aren't many points that you can argue here. If you were at the game are you a fan of the Kings? If so, your opinion would be biased as well. It's the nature of opinions.

Old
03-30-2007, 12:51 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Partially responsible because the powerplay that the Canucks scored on after Johnson got demolished was a penalty that happened because Johnson got demolished. It was a penalty that Thornton had to take because Johnson wasn't aware he was being lined up.

Turning the puck over inside the blueline when you're the quarterback coming up the ice with an empty net behind you is never anybody else's fault. If you're feeling too much heat, circle around and wait for your teammates to get back open. I know he was short on time, but we saw what the alternative was. If you're not able to get it to a teammate then you eat it. It was a rookie mistake. I'm not busting him too hard for that one, but he's going to have to learn better habits in that situation.

I was only saying it would have normally been called because they were hacking and slashing before the play even ended. Johnson slashed Cooke on the hands right in front of the officials before the play ended and as they were skating off, Cooke wasn't even looking at Johnson and they were skating beside each other and Johnson shoved his glove into Cooke's face. You'll see that called every now and again and to even put yourself in the "chance" that it gets called is not being aware of the situation on the ice. Cooke would have loved nothing better than to eat two minutes off the comeback chance for the Kings with shorthanded time. He has to identify who the pests are and when to respond to them. I'm sure you've seen Avery do it enough times to players with anger problems that you recognize it when you see it. He was trying to goad Johnson into taking a penalty and it nearly worked. A few other officials blow that play.

I agree with all that except it being a decent game. He looked terrible out there tonight. I think it all depends on how he learns from the mistakes he made tonight and puts it towards his next game. He's not done after his first game for crying out loud, but to call it anything other than a stinker to me isn't accurate.
So hes partially responsible because his teammate stood up for him? The play on the empty net he had a guy draped all over him and no teammate nearby to help him out yet once again thats his fault?

The Cooke incident. Cooke was looking at him jawing at him for slashing him. Cooke had been taking runs at him all game and none were succesful. Fed JJ an elbow and JJ let him know not to do it again.

For nbeing a rookie coming into a league with a substantially higher talent level he played a decent game. He has his good moment and his bad moments. Just like every other rookie in the history of the game.

Old
03-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
So hes partially responsible because his teammate stood up for him? The play on the empty net he had a guy draped all over him and no teammate nearby to help him out yet once again thats his fault?
Yes. If you turn the puck over at your own blueline with an empty net, you've made a mistake. I don't care if they've got all four attackers forechecking. There is no excuse for making a turnover in that position.

Quote:
The Cooke incident. Cooke was looking at him jawing at him for slashing him. Cooke had been taking runs at him all game and none were succesful. Fed JJ an elbow and JJ let him know not to do it again.
That was borderline and not even worth mentioning. I only said it because I saw it interesting that he was looking to get even that late in the game when the outcome was still up in the air. Just a cursory note. No real conviction behind it other than from an observational standpoint.

Quote:
For nbeing a rookie coming into a league with a substantially higher talent level he played a decent game. He has his good moment and his bad moments. Just like every other rookie in the history of the game.
I didn't see any really good moments. I know they're coming, but not this game. He played very badly in my estimation.

Old
03-30-2007, 01:13 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
Yes. If you turn the puck over at your own blueline with an empty net, you've made a mistake. I don't care if they've got all four attackers forechecking. There is no excuse for making a turnover in that position.

That was borderline and not even worth mentioning. I only said it because I saw it interesting that he was looking to get even that late in the game when the outcome was still up in the air. Just a cursory note. No real conviction behind it other than from an observational standpoint.

I didn't see any really good moments. I know they're coming, but not this game. He played very badly in my estimation.
The Canuck player was draped all over him and both players went down as they were coming around the net. Kind of hard to make a play when you have no teammates around in the middle of getting hauled down.

He had gotten even with Cooke for the elbow. A couple of hellos to the helmet and a decent slash across the wrist. Cooke wasn't happy that he got paid back for being an idiot. JJ didnt do anything different than other players did. He didnt go out of his way to jab at Cooke. Cooke came to him and had a few choice words and got popped for it. All hes doing is letting a player know that hes going to man up. He doesnt respond there and Cooke will continue to try and play his game.

Old
03-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
The Canuck player was draped all over him and both players went down as they were coming around the net. Kind of hard to make a play when you have no teammates around in the middle of getting hauled down.

He had gotten even with Cooke for the elbow. A couple of hellos to the helmet and a decent slash across the wrist. Cooke wasn't happy that he got paid back for being an idiot. JJ didnt do anything different than other players did. He didnt go out of his way to jab at Cooke. Cooke came to him and had a few choice words and got popped for it. All hes doing is letting a player know that hes going to man up. He doesnt respond there and Cooke will continue to try and play his game.
Fair enough. We can have different viewpoints. That's the point of the whole messageboard thing that some people tend to forget. I appreciate the fact that you're one of the few willing to argue the content of the posts as opposed to the nature they were presented. I think a lot of your bretheren are trying to write off a lot of his mistakes and are making me the culprit as opposed to making the same observations regarding his play.

I call this game to a big extent a writeoff for Johnson. If he can get his game on track for the next one, we'll have more to judge him off of. I know it takes some time to adjust but that was a pretty awful game by a defenseman standards.

Old
03-30-2007, 01:32 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Fair enough. We can have different viewpoints. That's the point of the whole messageboard thing that some people tend to forget. I appreciate the fact that you're one of the few willing to argue the content of the posts as opposed to the nature they were presented. I think a lot of your bretheren are trying to write off a lot of his mistakes and are making me the culprit as opposed to making the same observations regarding his play.

I call this game to a big extent a writeoff for Johnson. If he can get his game on track for the next one, we'll have more to judge him off of. I know it takes some time to adjust but that was a pretty awful game by a defenseman standards.
Their is nothing fair about your whole little write up on the Game today. Yeah he was on the ice for the 1st goal. It was on the PK. He did all he could and he tried to block the passing lane. Smoke just made a really good play. He got hit big deal. That was a nice clean hit by Bulis. His roaming on the powerplay was good. The roaming on the powerplay was ALOT safer then your putting it out to be. Now, Im not saying he had a perfect game. But he did alot of good things for his first game in the NHL game and If you wernt so bitter about the trade, you may have possibly seen that. Or atleast your assessment seemed that it was bitter and bias. If i am mistaken I apologize

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:11 AM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
Unlike many others I have also defended many points made from this person. I have also said several times I thought for now you guys have won the deal, though I think that will change in the near future. Some people can talk about this subject normally and some can't and with this sentence not singling out a single person, just statings there is clearly a lot of sour grapes, over propaganda, major biasm, and most of all lack of neutral/smart opinions (And no where am I saying I do not fall in any of those groups or that I'm better)

Last edited by gobolt7: 03-30-2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: QDP
AnThGrt is online now   Reply With Quote