HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Straka's & Hossa's future with the team

Old
03-23-2007, 07:23 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Straka's & Hossa's future with the team

The thinking here is predicated upon 3 things:
1. Nylander will get his extension and Shanny will be resigned in the off season.
2. There need to be openings (read: no placeholders) for Dubinsky & Callahan next year.
3. Renney is Renney.

We can start at the bottom-2 lines. For next year, one would think that a very nice bottom-2 lines would look like this (I may get the wings mixed up):
Callahan-Cullen-Avery
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Not bad. Those are pretty good bottom-2 lines. BUT, here is point # 3 from above. Renney is Renney. Which means that Orr probably slides into the starting lineup, pushing Ortmeyer up a line, and in turn, pushing probably Avery up a line. So now, the bottom-2 lines look like this:
Callahan-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

If take the first predication and Shanny is resigned, the 2nd line now has Avery and Shanny as wings, which means the the first line is centered by Nylander and has Jagr as the RW. That leaves the 2nd line center spot open and the top line LW spot open. To me, the answer is simple. Dubinsky slides into the 2nd line center spot and Prucha takes the first. If the Devils could enter a year with Zajac as their 2nd line center, take the lumps that comes with developement and growing pains, but keep him there, then so too can the Rangers do with Dubinsky. Flanked by Avery and Shanny, he will pick up very good experience. Which leaves Prucha on the top line. It is time to stop messing with the kid. Parise has 43 goals for NJ this year. He is averaging over 17 minutes of ice time. Prucha has 49 goals in two years and is playing over 4 minutes less than Parise is. Parise has played more or less, solely on the top-2 lines since he arrived. Prucha has bounced around all over the place. Give the kid 15-16 minutes of ice time, and you have a 30 goal scorer.

So what does that mean for the lines? That they will look something like this:
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Dubinsky-Shanny
Callahan-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

What does that mean for Straka and Hossa? That unfortunately, there does not seem to be room for them. If you want Straka, then Shanny is not to be resigned. And though Jagr will go for that, the team needs Shanny much more than they need Straka. And, unfortunately for Hossa, who has played his best for 3 weeks prior to his injury, there does not seem to be much room for him. If he is around, than Callahan is not. Or both Straka and Hossa are in, and there is no room for Dubinsky & Callahan.

This not post meant to bash either of them. It is just that it seems that if you want to have room for the kids (and I think that both Dubinsky & Callahan showed that there must be room created for them) and you love what Shanny brings to the team, then that does not leave room for Straka or Hossa.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Richter35

i dont know if your taking into account how good hossa was on the first line, and that something may really be happening with this shamrock business. dubi can stay in the a for another year, and you can have something like

hossa nylander jagr
callahan avery shanahan
straka cullen prucha
hollweg betts orts

pretty solid

edit:

this also screams of last year when we all assumed immo was centering the second line. look at what happened. go with the proven quantity rather than assuming dubi will make the next step by september.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
i dont know if your taking into account how good hossa was on the first line,
I know how good Hossa appeared to be for 3 or so weeks. I also know how he was for the year and a half preceding that. But this is not about that.
Quote:
dubi can stay in the a for another year
Why? So that Hossa can have a spot? Again, if the Devils can allow Zajac to start the year and play all year on the 2nd line, so too could the Rangers. Dubinsky gave no idication that the NHL game was beyond him.
Quote:
look at what happened. go with the proven quantity rather than assuming dubi will make the next step by september.
What and who are "proven"? Again, Dubinsky showed that he is ready. And again, I will cite the Devils as an example. An organization who far more deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing players and having success than the Rangers do.

Old
03-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
this also screams of last year when we all assumed immo was centering the second line. look at what happened. go with the proven quantity rather than assuming dubi will make the next step by september.
I think this will be the case.

There is not a "if" someone is injured, Dubi will get a shot, its "when". Without any single doubt.

Korpikoski is also around, who I think is more ready then Dubinsky, but also got a ton to improve on staying in the AHL.

Straka is a must to have around, loosing Nylander would be really tough for this team, not because Nylander necessary are that extremely good, but because we don't have anyone else like him, other then Straka.

Hossa could turn into someone who got tremendous value. Play him with JJ and he could be a 30+ goal scorer next season, who is also very good defensivly and can cover for Nyllet and JJ, something Prucha simply doesn't have the strength to do.

I think we should try to get rid of Malik, and insert Staal to the lineup ASAP. And keep a strong surronding so that Hossa, Callahan, Avery, Prucha, Holly, Staal, Tyutin, Girardi and Lundqvist can keep growing.

I've never been able to understand the obssesion with getting Prucha on the top line. If Vanek can be on pace for 40 on a 3rd in Buffalo, Prucha can survive on a 3rd here. The time where teams had 2 lines that ran all the offense is long gone in this league. I think its been extremely obvious this season how much better we are when we got 3 complete lines and a working 4th line, compared to two complete lines and a checking line -- it have been like night and day. In the end I think there is much more to gain for the team by playing well, comming from playing the players where they make the most sense, compared to only playing them where the kids will score the most. I love seeing Prucha playing a big role with Cullen, instead of only looking for JJ 5 on 5, 5 on 4 its a diffrent story.

I think Straka-Cullen-Prucha might work, though I rather have Petr on the left side and Callahan on the right, Cally have been tryed on the right in HFD, a side were he fits better into the system, but obviously feels much more comfortable on the right.

I think the lines Richter35 posted are great, but a alternative to them could be;
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Avery-Shanahan
Straka-Cullen-Callahan
or
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Hossa-Avery-Shanahan
Straka-Cullen-Callahan

At the same time, playing Cally at a position where he aren't 100% might just be worth it if it means getting to know Shanny!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Ola

Though, Id also like to add that I think TB raises allot of interesting questions.

Our kids will get a shot even if we don't get rid of any vets, but what do we do if they really are ready, like Prucha last season, and Girardi this season, and the vets come back?

Who got a future here and who doesn't?

Its really hard to speculate on now though, who would have thought Kaspar would completly loose it this season for example. Maybe we resign Shanny and his back starts to struggle after 10 games and he is done?

Maybe everyone plays great, then its a so called "pleasant" problem. Thoose can be solved by trading 2-3 players for 1 player for example.

Old
03-23-2007, 07:57 PM
McRanger

1. I dont know if Hossa will come back and play at the level he was at before he got hurt, but I think he (at the very least) has earned a chance to win himself a spot out of camp. For all the talk about getting and earning ice time, it seems to only apply to certain players.

2. Its hard to compare Dubinsky to Zajac. They are both centers and they are both 2004 draftees, but that doesnt mean they are at the same stage of development. I'm happy with how the Rangers have brought along the current crop of kids and until they screw up, (we'll see how they do this fall) I'll trust their judgement.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 08:01 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
There is not a "if" someone is injured, Dubi will get a shot, its "when". Without any single doubt.
Why is it necessary to have your hand forced to give a kid a chance? Why must an injury occur for you give a kid a shot? Why can't the Rangers simply do what other successfull teams do in the NHL and that is enter the season with the kid in the lineup?
Quote:
Straka is a must to have around, loosing Nylander would be really tough for this team, not because Nylander necessary are that extremely good, but because we don't have anyone else like him, other then Straka.
Why is Straka a "must"? Shanny is a "must". Straka has been a very good player, but I would take Shanny ahead of him every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. And if the choice is Straka or Shanny, Shanny means far mor to the lockerrom that Straka does. Straka means more to Jagr.
Quote:
I've never been able to understand the obssesion with getting Prucha on the top line. If Vanek can be on pace for 40 on a 3rd in Buffalo, Prucha can survive on a 3rd here.
Give me a break. Vanek is averaging nearly 17 minutes per game in Buffalo. How many 3rd liners play that many minutes? He also has 35 goals and 70+ points. How many 3rd liners can you name that are like that? This is what I mean by stopping jerking the kid around. If you are telling me that what Prucha is somehow magically going to get 17 minutes playing the 3rd line, I am on board. But if not, it is time to entrust the kid top play on the top lines like he deserves. See Parise.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Osminator

somehow i am more concerned with the rangers defense and who will be backing up lundqvist... someone, unlike weekes, which will give them a chance to win in rare starts when the king get 60 odd games...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
What and who are "proven"? Again, Dubinsky showed that he is ready. And again, I will cite the Devils as an example. An organization who far more deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing players and having success than the Rangers do.
NJD also got Niklas Bergfors in the AHL.

I also see Zajac heading towards 30 pts this season. I am just speculating here, but if they had any kind of cap room left, I am not 100% sold on Zajac centering their 2nd line. Or I think its 100% safe to say that he wouldn't. NJD have never the past decade and a half carried a kid around in a position like that who weren't able to make a bigger impact then what Zajac have.

It also depends on how good Dubinsky is in camp. If he really comes in on fire, he would win a spot -- no doubt. But I don't think anyone can state that there isn't more aspects of his game that he can't work on in the AHL, its not impossible at all that he would develop more starting in the AHL then in the NHL.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:08 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
1. I dont know if Hossa will come back and play at the level he was at before he got hurt, but I think he (at the very least) has earned a chance to win himself a spot out of camp. For all the talk about getting and earning ice time, it seems to only apply to certain players.

2. Its hard to compare Dubinsky to Zajac. They are both centers and they are both 2004 draftees, but that doesnt mean they are at the same stage of development. I'm happy with how the Rangers have brought along the current crop of kids and until they screw up, (we'll see how they do this fall) I'll trust their judgement.
This is really coming down to not being able to have your cake and eating it too. Either you are willing to let the kids play or you are not. You CANNOT leave them in Hartford until an injury FORCES your hand. We said this a long time ago. If you are a believer in what the Rangers have done, then a time WILL come when you will be forced to make some hard choices. Right now, those choice appear to be Straka & Hossa. You say that it is hard to compare Dubinsky to Zajac. I say it is easy. It is easy to either trust a kid an leave an open spot for him OR you leave him in the AHL. In his cup of coffee here, I never got the impression that the NHL game is beyond him. I think that he has shown that you need to leave a spot open for him. Ditto Callahan.

Hossa did his "earning", following a year-and-a half of invisibility. I believe that it comes down to either being willing to let the kids play or not. Teams FAR more successfull than the Rangers have let the kids play. That is why they are where they are.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
True Blue

Quote:
NJD have never the past decade and a half carried a kid around in a position like that who weren't able to make a bigger impact then what Zajac have.
Look no further than Parise last year.
Quote:
It also depends on how good Dubinsky is in camp. If he really comes in on fire, he would win a spot -- no doubt.
You and I both know that the ONLY way that will truly occur is if there is a spot for him. Clog it up with a placeholder, and again, you and I both know what happens.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:21 PM
NYROrtsFan

I'm a fan of Prucha but dont think he deserves 1st line... His passing is just not there yet...

his quick twitch ability to get some shots and finish is valuable i believe.

3rd line duty with powerplay time is where he should be at this point. When he gets better with passes out of his own zone and even on the rush, then maybe 1st line. Forcing him there just because he's young and has done positive things isnt the right way to go.

The Rangers can afford to keep one of them (Hossa or Straka) but not necessarily both.

And I dont think Renney is completely against having Orr start as a scratch either... Orr has been scratched PLENTY of times under Renney's watch. He just continues to play now becuase it is clear that the team is better with him out there.

Shame... Straka should stay and so should Hossa. Hossa actually looks like a player and its unfortunate because trading him would result in a return that isnt equal to Hossa.

I would worry about just handing Dubinsky a spot though... THere are a lot of things to like there but some people advocated holding a spot for Immonen and I think that would have been very wrong... And i think the team would have suffered. Not to say Dubinsky is in that same boat, but it is definitely a possibility.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Why is Straka a "must"? Shanny is a "must". Straka has been a very good player, but I would take Shanny ahead of him every single day of the week and twice on Sunday. And if the choice is Straka or Shanny, Shanny means far mor to the lockerrom that Straka does. Straka means more to Jagr.
TB, you must learn to tell the diffrence between what you think is a must based on your opinions and observations, and others opinions and Renney's opionions.

We defenitly do not face a must decision between Straka and Shanahan. If you do, its up to you. But atleast leave it open that thats not the case.

Quote:
Why is it necessary to have your hand forced to give a kid a chance? Why must an injury occur for you give a kid a shot? Why can't the Rangers simply do what other successfull teams do in the NHL and that is enter the season with the kid in the lineup?
Callahan, right now, seems to have a great shot at making the team right away. So does Girardi. Are they "too good" to count?

Like I said, other org plays the kids who are ready, like NJD does with Parise. Or like they do with Zajac when they don't have any other options. They aren't playing everyone, see NJD and Bergfors as a perfect example.

Quote:
Give me a break. Vanek is averaging nearly 17 minutes per game in Buffalo. How many 3rd liners play that many minutes? He also has 35 goals and 70+ points. How many 3rd liners can you name that are like that? This is what I mean by stopping jerking the kid around. If you are telling me that what Prucha is somehow magically going to get 17 minutes playing the 3rd line, I am on board. But if not, it is time to entrust the kid top play on the top lines like he deserves. See Parise.
These are the lines Buff used early in the season when everyone was healty;

Hect-Briere-Afinegenov
Roy-Drury-Kotalik
Pommonville-Novotny-Vanek

He have moved up because of injurys, and especially gotten allot of PP time.

Tonight he is again on their 3rd line, with Vanek-Novotny-Stafford.

Most of the times I've seen him this season he have been on diffrent 3rd lines.

If you look here;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/player...?playerId=3045

he have played less then 16 minutes 20 times this season. Buffalo have had a ton of injurys.

Last edited by Ola: 03-23-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Ola

Quote:
You and I both know that the ONLY way that will truly occur is if there is a spot for him. Clog it up with a placeholder, and again, you and I both know what happens.
No, but you and me both know how it will sound, since you always trys to rewrite history, and never admits beeing wrong, never even admits that there is a slightest possibility that you could be wrong and Renney for example be right.

Like with Pck, there where no way he shouldn't have been on the starting roster gooing into the 05-06 season instead of Roszival according to you, right?

How could other team that are so well run play their kids, when we couldn't even bench Roszival and play Pck instead of him.

Thats how it sounded two years ago, and I guess thats how it will sound this summer. Just like it did with Dawes last fall.

Instead of identifying where these kids are, and how they should be brought up, you take for granted that they are ready and that Renney is wrong by not playing them.

You felt that they were ready and that Renney didn't give them a chance, but I think its proven that you were wrong, and that they weren't ready.

Last edited by Ola: 03-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old
03-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Ola

And yes TB, Vanek got 35+ goals and 70 pts, since a 3rd line plays hockey too. Just like Prucha are leading this team in goals since Shanny went down, ON A THIRD LINE.

There are more then 2 lines on a hockey team.

And BTW, aren't Hossa a kid too?

Old
03-23-2007, 08:31 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Has anyone mentioned that Straka was re-signed in January to a contract extension through 07-08 season?

I have a feeling he will be on the team next year. Just a hunch.

03-23-2007, 08:33 PM
McRanger

Quote:
This is really coming down to not being able to have your cake and eating it too. Either you are willing to let the kids play or you are not. You CANNOT leave them in Hartford until an injury FORCES your hand. We said this a long time ago. If you are a believer in what the Rangers have done, then a time WILL come when you will be forced to make some hard choices. Right now, those choice appear to be Straka & Hossa. You say that it is hard to compare Dubinsky to Zajac. I say it is easy. It is easy to either trust a kid an leave an open spot for him OR you leave him in the AHL. In his cup of coffee here, I never got the impression that the NHL game is beyond him. I think that he has shown that you need to leave a spot open for him. Ditto Callahan.

Hossa did his "earning", following a year-and-a half of invisibility. I believe that it comes down to either being willing to let the kids play or not. Teams FAR more successfull than the Rangers have let the kids play. That is why they are where they are.
Disagree on pretty much everything.

Not all prospects are equal. Not all prospects are ready to play in the NHL two years from their draft. Dubinsky was a non-factor in the AHL early in the season, I dont think he would have benefited at all from being an even bigger nonfactor in the NHL. I think this camp will go a long way towards showing whether the Rangers are willing to play kids when they are ready. I do understand where the distrust comes from.

As for Hossa, he may not have been scoring for the first half of the year, but he was far from ineffective. Playing on the 4th line is not going to get you points, it took Hollweg till when, the 50th game of the season, to register a point? He played well defensively, played on the penalty kill and played hard, all while waiting for his shot, which he then made the most of. I dont know what else we could have asked from him this year. And this is from one of Hossas biggest detractors.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:36 PM
McRanger

One more thing, about Prucha.

There is no doubt that Prucha has earned 1st line minutes. I am not sure, however, that this would be the best thing for Jagr. I think he needs another big body on the wing to make room for him, which is why he played so well with Hossa, and why the Straka-Nylander-Jagr unit lost alot of its effectiveness. I think this is mostly because his shoulder is not fully recovered, so hopefully by next year it wont be as much of an issue.

Old
03-23-2007, 08:53 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
I don't get why people accept that Cullen is a third-liner, but then the idea of Prucha playing outside the top six is blasphemy. their even-strength production is basically a deadlock.

I have other points but most of them have already been hit.

-31- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

And BTW, aren't Hossa a kid too?
Bingo, people just can't get over their hard on to hate on Hossa. He's eleven month's older than Prucha, whoopdeedoo.

TWITTER
2014 RANKINGS
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

No one knows if "Straka means more to Jagr." When you see a guy playing through tremendous pain, with one arm, still skating his ass off, night in night out, I'm pretty sure teammates aren't worried about nationalities. They see a guy laying himself out there, and regardless of all the idolatry going Shanny's way, I can see them respecting Straka just as much or more.

Straka's every bit as valuable as Shanny, maybe even moreso for his speed.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 10:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Forcing him there just because he's young and has done positive things isnt the right way to go.
... THere are a lot of things to like there but some people advocated holding a spot for Immonen and I think that would have been very wrong... And i think the team would have suffered. Not to say Dubinsky is in that same boat, but it is definitely a possibility.
I cannot see how getting a player who can score 50 goals in his first two seasons, while mostly playing anywhere but the top two lines, is an example of forcing him.
Quote:
I would worry about just handing Dubinsky a spot though
Again, Parise played on the top 2 lines his rookie year. So is Zajac. If allowing there to be no placholder (whom a kid on the Rangers never beats out) to muddle up the picture is good enough for a perennial Cup contender, why is it not good enough for the Rangers?

Old
03-23-2007, 10:26 PM
True Blue

Quote:
We defenitly do not face a must decision between Straka and Shanahan. If you do, its up to you. But atleast leave it open that thats not the case.
As I said, Renney is Renney. And this discussion is predicated upon some things. Amongst them being is that Orr is going to be in the lineup. That moves the likes of Ortmeyer and Avery up a line. And that takes a spot away.
Quote:
Like I said, other org plays the kids who are ready, like NJD does with Parise. Or like they do with Zajac when they don't have any other options. They aren't playing everyone, see NJD and Bergfors as a perfect example.
Why is Parise ready and not Prucha? Why was he more ready last year? They could have done other things, but choose to go with Zajac. Bergfors is not in the discussion. The fact that they saw fit to give promising kids a chance, is.
Quote:
These are the lines Buff used early in the season when everyone was healty;

Hect-Briere-Afinegenov
Roy-Drury-Kotalik
Pommonville-Novotny-Vanek

He have moved up because of injurys, and especially gotten allot of PP time.
He now has 37 goals and averages nearly 17 minutes. How many would call that a 3rd liner? As I said, if you are telling me that Prucha is going to get over 15 minutes and get "plenty" of PP time, I am on board. However, do you really see a 3rd liner getting those minutes?
Quote:
he have played less then 16 minutes 20 times this season. Buffalo have had a ton of injurys.
And yet he averages nearly 17. The Rangers have had their injuries as well.

Old
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
The thinking here is predicated upon 3 things:
1. Nylander will get his extension and Shanny will be resigned in the off season.
2. There need to be openings (read: no placeholders) for Dubinsky & Callahan next year.
3. Renney is Renney.

We can start at the bottom-2 lines. For next year, one would think that a very nice bottom-2 lines would look like this (I may get the wings mixed up):
Callahan-Cullen-Avery
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Not bad. Those are pretty good bottom-2 lines. BUT, here is point # 3 from above. Renney is Renney. Which means that Orr probably slides into the starting lineup, pushing Ortmeyer up a line, and in turn, pushing probably Avery up a line. So now, the bottom-2 lines look like this:
Callahan-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

If take the first predication and Shanny is resigned, the 2nd line now has Avery and Shanny as wings, which means the the first line is centered by Nylander and has Jagr as the RW. That leaves the 2nd line center spot open and the top line LW spot open. To me, the answer is simple. Dubinsky slides into the 2nd line center spot and Prucha takes the first. If the Devils could enter a year with Zajac as their 2nd line center, take the lumps that comes with developement and growing pains, but keep him there, then so too can the Rangers do with Dubinsky. Flanked by Avery and Shanny, he will pick up very good experience. Which leaves Prucha on the top line. It is time to stop messing with the kid. Parise has 43 goals for NJ this year. He is averaging over 17 minutes of ice time. Prucha has 49 goals in two years and is playing over 4 minutes less than Parise is. Parise has played more or less, solely on the top-2 lines since he arrived. Prucha has bounced around all over the place. Give the kid 15-16 minutes of ice time, and you have a 30 goal scorer.

So what does that mean for the lines? That they will look something like this:
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Dubinsky-Shanny
Callahan-Cullen-Ortmeyer
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

What does that mean for Straka and Hossa? That unfortunately, there does not seem to be room for them. If you want Straka, then Shanny is not to be resigned. And though Jagr will go for that, the team needs Shanny much more than they need Straka. And, unfortunately for Hossa, who has played his best for 3 weeks prior to his injury, there does not seem to be much room for him. If he is around, than Callahan is not. Or both Straka and Hossa are in, and there is no room for Dubinsky & Callahan.

This not post meant to bash either of them. It is just that it seems that if you want to have room for the kids (and I think that both Dubinsky & Callahan showed that there must be room created for them) and you love what Shanny brings to the team, then that does not leave room for Straka or Hossa.

Anyone have any thoughts here?

Great post, you put a lot of careful thought into this....

Honestly you need point #4

What happens the rest of this year?

Do we make the playoffs?

Do we make a run?

What roll does Hossa play the rest of the season?

I don't want to get to ahead of the cart here, but the team really ha s started to develop a chemistry all its own imo. Not the Jagr team of last year, but a balanced interesting team top to bottom with a new fresh, talented personality. Jagr's staggered recovery from the surgery and lower offensive production have let this team become a TEAM...or at the very least begin to really show those signs.

When Marcel can play, he goes right back on the top line with Jagr, untill he loses that place we have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see if infact he has found his game.Too much effort has gone into his development to not push for his return to Jagrs line, and pray he not only comes back strong but CONTINUES to develop even more next season. Think about it.....what if Marcel really is THAT GOOD

Straka is not going to be traded, he's here till he retires or Jagr retires. But Straka also can get the injury bug, as we've seen this year....that allows for some "rebuilding on a need basis"

Shanny will be offered a nice deal.....will he take it? I think so. But how long? Who knows. Might depend on what happens the rest of this year. There is a scenario I won't mention inwhich I think he might retire......smiling.

Ultimately knowing Renny....this season is this season and next season everyone gets a shot to make the team in training camp.

Competition is good and with the talent on The Pack training camp will force guys on the bottom to fight it out to make the team or go back to Hartford. You have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

If the team as is plays healthy and up to their potential I'm not sure I'd change any of the forwards. Especially if chemistry continues to blossoms. If someone from Hartford forces his way onto the team....well we'll just have to see....and we should be so lucky.

I think we will see Kevin Weekes move on next season. Mainly due to how much he gets paid as well he likely wants to see more action.

If the forwards we have now take care of business than perhaps we DONT need to sign that high priced UFA Center ( Drury, Forsberg, Briere) and we can spend that money on a BONA FIDE STUD #1 D. Even it means parting with a prospect to get him here....

Last year I was certain Sather was going to pay out for a BIG ufa D man and he passed on them all. Mainly , imo, because of the price. They may very well happen again this season with the Centers

Other Considerations:

Sather loves Ryan Smyth. His stick boy, his pick, his kind of player. He's going to make him an offer. Its going to happen. He never would have signed him away from Kevin Lowe and Edmonton, but since the Isles felt the need to part with all those juicey assets to bring him to NY, Better the team and deliver a terrible blow to your arch rival. Its too ripe to pass up trying....

Forsberg.

I know I know.......but it's Peter Forsberg. If he finishes this year strong and took a one year deal it would be so tempting.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 10:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Straka's every bit as valuable as Shanny,
For the play on ice, I woudl agree with you. For lockerroom, I would not.