HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

islander's run for the playoffs

Old
03-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
islander's run for the playoffs

interesting thread over at the isle' board. The fans have pretty much figured out they lose the first tie breaker to Carolina, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. The Isles will have to have one extra point over the 9th place team to make the playoffs.

They also feel the isles may have the toughet scedule left. To give themselves a 50/50 to make the playoffs, they pretty much have to reach 94 points. They may need 95 but 94 should do it. That means the isles will have to go 5-2 vs

devils - home
sabres - away
senators - home
rangers - home
leafs - home
flyers - away
devils - away

if they make the playoffs, they will have earned it.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 05:26 PM
AM

I guess this is a job for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
interesting thread over at the isle' board. The fans have pretty much figured out they lose the first tie breaker to Carolina, Montreal, Tampa and Toronto. The Isles will have to have one extra point over the 9th place team to make the playoffs.

They also feel the isles may have the toughet scedule left. To give themselves a 50/50 to make the playoffs, they pretty much have to reach 94 points. They may need 95 but 94 should do it. That means the isles will have to go 5-2 vs

devils - home
sabres - away
senators - home
rangers - home
leafs - home
flyers - away
devils - away

the SIX Million Dollar Man!

Sorry, I've wanted to do that for a while.

Was thinking of saying Lee Majors, but I'm embarased I know that.

AM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Hemsky4PM

As an Oil fan I hope they tank it...thinking rationally I think the Rangers and Hurricanes will make it for sure, leaving Tampa, NYI, Toronto and Montreal fighting for the last spot. I would like to see Montreal make it, I love watching them in the playoffs because their fans go crazy like us. On paper the Islanders are the best team of that group and probably the only one that could pull the upset against the Sabres. Dipietro is infinately better than anything Tampa has, Huet is out, Raycroft doesn't inspire much confidence.

Still, I hope they find a way to finish at the bottom of that heap and have a top 10 pick.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:55 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:

devils - home
sabres - away
senators - home
rangers - home
leafs - home
flyers - away
devils - away

They will lose at least three of those - BUF, OTT, NJ. Hopefully they go in the tank and the pick we get from them is as high as possible. Im cheering hard for TOR and MTL hard to pass them.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
theoil

Every man for himself in these situations. I'm looking for the best draft pick we can get.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 07:55 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'm still hoping they lose every remaining game. Nothing against the Isles or Smyth, but as long as we've got their pick, then I'm hoping they fall as far as possible.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Deathamphetamine

I would personally like to see Montreal and Carolina to make it. I want Carolina to make it because I personally think it would be embarrassing to see that both Stanley Cup finalists from last year miss the playoffs the following year. It would be the first time in NHL history.

Deathamphetamine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:14 PM
oilgirl

Hey, if we're going down, we might as well take them down with us.
Not that we would have anything with them being out, if they do indeed miss the playoffs.
But you get my drift.

oilgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
the SIX Million Dollar Man!

Sorry, I've wanted to do that for a while.

Was thinking of saying Lee Majors, but I'm embarased I know that.
Well played. Even I had to laugh at that one.

Oh wait. who?

Edit and ABC applies as per usual.

Anybody But Carolina....

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:12 PM
jblaze

the Isles are gonna take the cup this year, just so the oilers get a great draft pick

jblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainja Cat View Post
I would personally like to see Montreal and Carolina to make it. I want Carolina to make it because I personally think it would be embarrassing to see that both Stanley Cup finalists from last year miss the playoffs the following year. It would be the first time in NHL history.
The majority of that shame falls with the Cup winner, not the Finalist.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Tyrolean

Like everyone I hope the Islanders fall as far as possible otherwise I would care less who makes the playoffs in the East.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Showerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainja Cat View Post
My take is that I would rather see Carolina miss too because of how it changes the inevitable spin on this Oiler season. If Edmonton misses alone, we're going to hear a lot of echoed sentiments in the "nobody wanted to play in Edmonton" vein and I'm a bit sick of those articles. However, if they both miss the spin machine will play the "look how fast things can change in the new NHL" card until we're sick of that too.

I guess what I'm saying is that since I'm going to be reading BS about the Oilers either way, I prefer the most palatable version available to me.

Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Here is to hoping the Isles finish out of the playoffs.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:

devils - home
sabres - away
senators - home
rangers - home
leafs - home
flyers - away
devils - away
....they are likely pooched - but good on 'em if they make it. Funny how Smyth hasn't made a damn bit of difference for them in the standings - the Isles have been falling like a rock since the deadline. I know my stats inclined brothers love Smyth - but the team results are just not there to this point (and never really were in EDM either).

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 12:45 AM
ChrisB

Yea..I'm not sure I see the Isles going 5-2 with that schedual. Against Ottawa, Buffalo, New York and New Jersey they are probably going to lose 3 out of those 4 if not all four. I wouldn't like their chances. On the other hand, I hope they do as badly as humanly possible in order to get us a better draft pick.

I agree with the preference for Montreal doing well. Its a great hockey city, and a great organization so I'm always happy to see them in the playoffs. Its my dad's team too so at least one of us would have a team to cheer for.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Perfect_Drug

If the playoff seeding is clinched for teams like the Sabres/Devils/Senators

They might opt to rest their best players, rather than risk injury.

The difficulty in their schedule might be a bit misleading.

Perfect_Drug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
If the playoff seeding is clinched for teams like the Sabres/Devils/Senators

They might opt to rest their best players, rather than risk injury.

The difficulty in their schedule might be a bit misleading.
The Sabres wont do it this early, and the Devils are in a dog fight with Pittsburgh for the division, the winner likely getting home ice advantage, and the winner getting 5th and facing the Sens who have been one of the hottest teams of the second half the year.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 06:54 AM
boredmale

Quote:
As tough as our schedule may look, putting a positive spin on it, we play alot of teams who aren't fighting for a playoff spot. personally i would worry more about games against teams like Montreal, Rangers, Tampa, Toronto and Carolina(and a lesser extent Atlanta) then top teams in our conference. The top teams can afford to lose, the 6 fighting for 3 spots can't.

2 of our 7 games are against the the 6 teams in question and by time we play toronto they could be out of it and unmotivated(3rd last game). If NJ has nothing to play for on the last day(very good possibility) good chance we see Clemmonson in nets which is a bonus.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:10 AM
mullet

Quote:

They also feel the isles may have the toughet scedule left. To give themselves a 50/50 to make the playoffs, they pretty much have to reach 94 points. .
Anyone else see the irony in needing 94 points?? They haven't done much and the schedule is tough with the exception of PHI. I hope they lose. one guy doesn't make a team.

mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Looking at that schedule and looking at how they have played recently, taking into account their current position, the talent of the opponents and who they have to catch; I think they're sunk. Come on 5 and 10.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Brunosan

Dipietro is out with post-concussion syndrome. The dream is dead for the Islanders.

Brunosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunosan View Post
Dipietro is out with post-concussion syndrome. The dream is dead for the Islanders.
Really, wow. They are screwed now he was playing amazing for them this season.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Soundwave

The Smyth trade looks absolutely terrible from their P.O.V. now, especailly if they do miss the playoffs, they get no 1st round pick on top of giving up on two other previous 1st round selections.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Mr Sakich

personally, I blame MAB for this.

Anyways, the news keeps getting worse. The islanders have also lost Zednik for the remainder of the year. He has been given leave from the team to deal with a personal issue. They traded a 2nd round pick for him and he played 2 games for them.

Not a great end of the year for Snow. Traded a 1st, a 2nd, and 3 of your top 5 prospects in the last month to load up for a long playoff run.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote