HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Potter

Old
03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Bacchus

vCash: 500
Corey Potter

For those who have seen him play this season: What can you tell me about him?
Strengths? Weaknesses? Things he needs to improve?

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
I've seen him in two games for HFD.

He is supposed to be a stay at home D type, but he wheren't really tested that much defenisvly when I saw him, so I can't really comment on his defensive game. For a player like him its mostly about beeing consistant anyway, and it takes allot more then two games where his team are dominating the other team to give a opinion on thoose aspects.

However, I were really impressed with his puckmovement, really impressed. He is slick with the puck, moves great laterally, got his head up all the time.

He got that ability to pick up a loose puck, look up while dancing sideways, untill he finds a open lane and can start a transition play, extremely valueble in the game today.

I defenitly got some hopes for Potter. Its to early to make any predictions, but from what I have seen, I defenitly wouldn't rule out him making a Girardi type of impact. I haven't seen Pikkarainen, but besides Baranka I right now feel Potter might have the highest upside down there, more then Liffiton, Taylor, Degon an Co.

Potter breaths good coaching, a very good grade for the US college program. Don't often see someone who might not be the biggest natural talent, have thoose kind of skill comming from NA.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jazz View Post
his broom-speed is a little slow, but the agility is there. Needs to stay out of trouble more.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Fish

I've watched Potter for the better part of 5 years now I guess. In some ways he's like Girardi...he's a very understated defenseman, very solid...has more of an edge than Girardi does.

His strengths...good first pass, solid skating, good positioning (in NCAA and WJC), conservative kind of defensemen.

His weaknesses...needs to get a bit bigger and stronger, needs to get more pro experience (timing, positioning etc). Could open up his offense a little more, I think he has the ability, but he's not going to be a top scoring d-man, but will pick up a lot of secondary assists I would think.

I was disappointed last year when the Rangers didn't sign him to a contract...I'm hopoing they do this Summer before someone else snaps him up.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 07:44 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I've watched Potter for the better part of 5 years now I guess. In some ways he's like Girardi...he's a very understated defenseman, very solid...has more of an edge than Girardi does.

His strengths...good first pass, solid skating, good positioning (in NCAA and WJC), conservative kind of defensemen.

His weaknesses...needs to get a bit bigger and stronger, needs to get more pro experience (timing, positioning etc). Could open up his offense a little more, I think he has the ability, but he's not going to be a top scoring d-man, but will pick up a lot of secondary assists I would think.

I was disappointed last year when the Rangers didn't sign him to a contract...I'm hopoing they do this Summer before someone else snaps him up.
i have to echo Fish's comments. I've liked him the moment I laid eyes on him after having been tipped off about from a friend who played on one of Potter's college championship teams. I think the reason he is timid about his offense is that he doesn't have the same margin of error as some higher drafted prospects may have. He is very much like Girardi though will a mean streak. I think people misjudge his strength because he appears to be slightly built. He like some other ranger prospects will I feel put on the right kind of weight in the offseason. I hear there is a new weight conditioning program for NYR prospects with Dubi being the chef.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
squishy

I've seen Potter play for Hartford a couple times this year, and (particularly in the first game I saw him play) I was extremely impressed. He wasn't really on my radar, and I wasn't expecting much from him. But he made a number of really good breakout passes and did a great job of standing up his man or forcing him to the outside on the rush. I didn't really notice any lack of foot speed or positioning errors in the games I saw. Like I said, he wasn't someone I went into the game intending to keep an eye on, but both my husband and I came away extremely impressed after that first game. It was probably his puck movement and general on-ice awareness that caught our eye most.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote