HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Learning to play ice goalie at 21.. what league?

Old
03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Fenton

vCash: 500
Learning to play ice goalie at 21.. what league?

Hey guy, maybe someone can help me here.

My friends want to join a summer league, a C level league (Arena Pro) in Brampton (outside Toronto). We are 21 - 22 years of age, one of my friends is a skilled player, another just started playing last summer. I want to play as their goalie, but I don't want to get destroyed left and right. Maybe this is the best league, I don't know. What would be the best league to learn in? I haven't played much hockey in general, and never on ice but I want to learn.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Slick

I'd start off just going to open hockey at your local rinks a couple times a week. You'll get guys of all skill levels there, sometimes theres no goalies and sometimes theres a few you'll have to split time with. Either way you'll learn alot, either from getting alot of ice time and playing with guys of a skill level better than you, or learning from goalies that have been playing a while. I don't know if I'd jump into a league right away, even if it is C league. If you are dead set on doing it, then C league is the only one I would consider.

Did you play roller hockey goalie before?

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Fenton

I plan on going to open hockey in the next few weeks once I get my gear together. I'll probably get embarrassed no matter where I start, so I have to be prepared some what for that. I think I'll try out the C league and hopefully I'll learn faster than most. It's tough learning a sport later in life, but I think if the commitment is there, anything is possible. I'm not playing to win, but to learn. I haven't played roller hockey, no. What can I expect in a C league though? Ankle benders and such or are these guys quite good? Maybe I should start with something lower...

Old
03-26-2007, 11:19 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilFF View Post

My friends want to join a summer league, a C level league (Arena Pro) in Brampton (outside Toronto). We are 21 - 22 years of age, one of my friends is a skilled player, another just started playing last summer. I want to play as their goalie, but I don't want to get destroyed left and right. Maybe this is the best league, I don't know. What would be the best league to learn in? I haven't played much hockey in general, and never on ice but I want to learn.
I learned by volunteering to play goal for the beginner/intermediate shinny classes at the local university.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:42 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
We got D leagues here...so if they have that, try that. Even at our D league, the lowest one, there are pretty good players so the beginners tag doesn't really apply. Generally most don't have a hard slapper or blazing speed, but they do have a nice wrister.

Drop-ins and any ice time is important. I've been on teams skating out where we had noob goalies, one guy who practice a whole bunch, and then a guy towards the middle end of the spectrum. The guy who played a lot of drop-ins was an outstanding goalie despite nvr played in a league ever and didn't start playing till he was like 25, 26? The other guy got bailed out by our offense

But even if you went ahead and played on this team, idk if you'll get destroyed as long as the D is ok. Think you gotta just work on staying in position especially and you'll make it. I think most noobs goalies get beat cause they don't know where they are in the crease and like to drop to their knees too early.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Mackee

At first it'll be difficult but I found my game picked up the more I played with real good players. You'll get scored on a lot and some might not look pretty, but it's all about learning from mistakes. I like to always ask myself "why did that puck get past me?" and "what could I have done to prevent that goal?".

Never realized how important skating was til I started playing in nets (around the age of 18). Skating with goalie skates in full gear is totally different than forward skating. Try to get as much skating in as you can. It helps your balance and your recovery in the net.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Thunderdog

Try www.truenorthhockey.com

They have a good beginner program. They run from both Toronto and Brampton.

Thunderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Icer

Don't get too discouraged if you get lit up during drop-in. Nobody plays defense and even good goalies give up a bucket of goals. Last time I played goalie in drop-in I gave up 10.

Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdog View Post
Try www.truenorthhockey.com

They have a good beginner program. They run from both Toronto and Brampton.
My friend told me about them last night, I called them up today and they have a good deal for goalies, so I will most likely be starting my soon-to-be long and illustrious career here.

Thanks for the help.

Old
03-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Thunderdog

Quote:
My friend told me about them last night, I called them up today and they have a good deal for goalies, so I will most likely be starting my soon-to-be long and illustrious career here.

Thanks for the help.
No Problem, maybe I'll see you on the ice!

Thunderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Brodeur

Like others have said, practice practice practice. Dunno if it's the same up north, but goalies here get to play for free during open sessions.

I started playing hockey/goalie at 21, and four years later I'm somewhat okay (my skating still needs work). Took a couple years to get the butterfly down pat, and even now I have to actively try not to butterfly for everything.

At any rate, have fun!

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Slick

Quote:
It's tough learning a sport later in life, but I think if the commitment is there, anything is possible. I'm not playing to win, but to learn.
I won't disagree with that. I started last year at 22 and have had more fun playing hockey than anything else I've ever done. Good luck, and win or lose I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
mattihp

I started playing hockey in the goalie position at 22 years of age.

Don't become a floppy goaltender unless you have great endurance XD

Work on the basic moves, if you can't go to butterfly quickly, work on getting your tretiaks to perfection.

And skating, skating skating...

With some hard work you will be considerabely better in no time.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
keef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer View Post
Don't get too discouraged if you get lit up during drop-in. Nobody plays defense and even good goalies give up a bucket of goals. Last time I played goalie in drop-in I gave up 10.
Yeah, drop-in is pretty bad in terms of learning to play well positionally. I particularly hate the drop-in all star who always carries from end to end. There's at least one in every drop-in game.

The one thing about learning to play goal is that there is no shortage of advice on improving your technique from your teammates

keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Work on the basic moves, if you can't go to butterfly quickly, work on getting your tretiaks to perfection.
I'm curious, what exactly do you mean by "tretiaks"?

Old
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
I'm curious, what exactly do you mean by "tretiaks"?
Tretiaks are going down on one knee and flexing out the other pad to make a save.

Old
03-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Tretiaks are going down on one knee and flexing out the other pad to make a save.
Ahhh I gotcha now. Yeah that's a good tool to have especially if your butterfly isn't great.

Old
03-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:

Drop the goalie nonsense, you sound too normal & sane to be one.

Be a defenseman instead.

Learn to skate as well backwards as you do forwards. Work on speed & power in all directions. Master your crossovers, transitions & pivoting. Learn how to not screen your goalie and properly clear your crease. Learn that the boards are your best friends.

Because everyone now more than everyone wants to be a Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, or even a Niedermayer or Pronger etc., there is a shortage of true defensive-defenseman. You will get plenty of ice time in open hockey/drop in hockey/shinny or whatever you want to call it.

You will be able to sell yourself and be in demand.

You will frustrate those cherry-picking punks in the Jagr sweaters with the mirrored Oakley visors who will try to burn you like toast, but you will stop, thwart, tie-up and make them look stupid. These puckhogs will try to get past you with each shift they take and you will return the favor and not let them get by you. You will frustrate them and anger them and force them to an early trip to the dressing room. All the ooh-ing & ah-ing from both benches will be reserved for making said person look silly.

Do this with calm composure, dignity & grace, and the chicks watching you will intrigued & fascinated by your efforts.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:08 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
Ahhh I gotcha now. Yeah that's a good tool to have especially if your butterfly isn't great.
If one wants to look at someone who is great at tretiaks, one should look at one of my goaltending mentors

Kim Martín of the swedish women's national team.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Orthodox Caveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Drop the goalie nonsense, you sound too normal & sane to be one.

Be a defenseman instead.

Learn to skate as well backwards as you do forwards. Work on speed & power in all directions. Master your crossovers, transitions & pivoting. Learn how to not screen your goalie and properly clear your crease. Learn that the boards are your best friends.

Because everyone now more than everyone wants to be a Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, or even a Niedermayer or Pronger etc., there is a shortage of true defensive-defenseman. You will get plenty of ice time in open hockey/drop in hockey/shinny or whatever you want to call it.

You will be able to sell yourself and be in demand.

You will frustrate those cherry-picking punks in the Jagr sweaters with the mirrored Oakley visors who will try to burn you like toast, but you will stop, thwart, tie-up and make them look stupid. These puckhogs will try to get past you with each shift they take and you will return the favor and not let them get by you. You will frustrate them and anger them and force them to an early trip to the dressing room. All the ooh-ing & ah-ing from both benches will be reserved for making said person look silly.

Do this with calm composure, dignity & grace, and the chicks watching you will intrigued & fascinated by your efforts.
best. post.ever.

seriously, i play forward on my team cause me and two other guys are the only ones that can create offense, and we are stacked with 4 really good older guys on defense, but eventually id like to just to play defenseman.

Orthodox Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote