HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacDonald Sent Down?

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 06:55 AM
kazo

vCash: 500
MacDonald Sent Down?

Why? Because he got a little over excited and took a couple of penalties? So typical. A rookie makes a mistake and it's bye-bye. Good thing we still have the passion filled Petr Nedved and Jan Hlavac.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Fletch

Isn't Macdonald...

a 29 year old AHL lifer?

Old
12-15-2003, 07:19 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
a 29 year old AHL lifer?
True indeed, but I'll take that over a lifeless piece of crapola like Nedved and Hlavac any day....It was a travesty the other night that while Macdonald was brought in to provide some type of spark, it wasn't the brainless or gutless Nedved and Hlavac that were benched after what they did against Montreal, but rather Dan Lacouture....But, given what Sather has done with Lindros, Holik, Messier and others, it was par for the course...

Old
12-15-2003, 07:34 AM
kazo

Quote:
a 29 year old AHL lifer?
At least he provided a little p-a-s-s-i-o-n.

Unlike the Nedved/Hlavac automatons.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:24 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
At least he provided a little p-a-s-s-i-o-n.

Unlike the Nedved/Hlavac automatons.
How could you tell? Everytime he stepped on the ice he took a penalty. Anyway, he's 29 years old and played his whole career in the AHL. After watching him for 2 games I know why.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:07 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
How could you tell? Everytime he stepped on the ice he took a penalty. Anyway, he's 29 years old and played his whole career in the AHL. After watching him for 2 games I know why.
It's not the specific player that's needed but the TYPE of player that's needed.

I guess there are some that just don't get it.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:26 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Everytime he stepped on the ice he took a penalty. Anyway, he's 29 years old and played his whole career in the AHL. After watching him for 2 games I know why.
Really? Please point out what he did in his fist game that made you recognize him for the career AHLer he is. So he took a couple of penalties in the first period Saturday. Bif effin' deal. What player didn't at one point or another this year? His ejection from the game was a joke as his jersey snap broke as opposed to not being tied down. All Macdonald did was play hard. Much more than can be said for 3/4 of the current roster.
So please explain what it is that you saw in his 4 periods of play (especially on Friday) that made you decide that he does not belong in the NHL.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Fletch

Mac's the type of player the team needs?

I don't think that's true. I think you need the scoring ability/skill of Hlavac with the heart/ energy of a Macdonald. They're not the same person. I don't get too excited over 'energy' guys who can provide 3-5 goals per year, and thus deserve about 6-8 ES minutes per game. You're not going to win many games with 10-12 of them. It's nice to have 'energy' guys, but you still need the guys with NHL ability too. I'm not talking Macdonald specifically as I didn't see either game in which he played. But, so many people seem to talk about these energy guys and how much they're needed without realizing that we're often talking about fringe NHL players who you wouldn't want stuck out there with other teams' top two lines and who aren't going to score many goals. Replacing Hlavac with Macdonald, or another energy guy (say Scott) for instance, would likely get the team no further, and perhaps even worse, although we'll see a guy who competes and tries a lot.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:32 AM
kazo

Quote:
Frankly, I'd like to see your guy play with a little more passion once he gets back in the lineup.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Lundyfan

Send a message via Yahoo to Lundyfan
So would I Kazo. But the fact is just WHAT did MacDonald do that was so awsome? What passion? All he did was take penalties.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
I don't think that's true. I think you need the scoring ability/skill of Hlavac with the heart/ energy of a Macdonald. They're not the same person. I don't get too excited over 'energy' guys who can provide 3-5 goals per year, and thus deserve about 6-8 ES minutes per game. You're not going to win many games with 10-12 of them. It's nice to have 'energy' guys, but you still need the guys with NHL ability too. I'm not talking Macdonald specifically as I didn't see either game in which he played. But, so many people seem to talk about these energy guys and how much they're needed without realizing that we're often talking about fringe NHL players who you wouldn't want stuck out there with other teams' top two lines and who aren't going to score many goals. Replacing Hlavac with Macdonald, or another energy guy (say Scott) for instance, would likely get the team no further, and perhaps even worse, although we'll see a guy who competes and tries a lot.
What scoring ability/skill of Hlavac? The guy is a total worthless turd that hasn't done anything in the NHL for years..ANd it's not just about energy players it's also about making gutless pukes like Hlavac and Nedved accountable for their lazy play that is detrimental to the team...Bottom line is Hlavac (NEDVED too) does not belong on a 1st or 2nd line (even 3rd) while anybody such as a few WOldpackers, even barnaby, Simon, or the 4th line C Holik should be playing up there instead while macdonald/Lacouture and NOT HLAVAC get the time on the bottomn lines

Then again, this is not a team, so it really doesn't matter...

Old
12-15-2003, 09:46 AM
Fletch

Hlavac has scored at the NHL level...

and trust me, I would love nothing more than to see Hlavac sit, but I'm talking in general about how I see sometimes people wanting these guys that try hard, play with energy, etc., to play over some guys whereby they're forgetting that there's more than just going out and putting forth an honest shift, unfortunately. Further, Macdonald did put his team down twice in the first period, including within the first minute. That's a pretty crappy way to start off a game.

Old
12-15-2003, 10:37 AM
kazo

Quote:
and trust me, I would love nothing more than to see Hlavac sit, but I'm talking in general about how I see sometimes people wanting these guys that try hard, play with energy, etc., to play over some guys whereby they're forgetting that there's more than just going out and putting forth an honest shift, unfortunately. Further, Macdonald did put his team down twice in the first period, including within the first minute. That's a pretty crappy way to start off a game.
You can't play a high energy, aggressive, up tempo style without taking the occassional penalty that will drive you nuts. It's the nature of the beast. By the same token, those types of players should be 3/4th liners not your top players in terms of talent.

Old
12-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Janerixon

id rather see lacouture play on that 4th line, macdonald wasnt anything special, he gave it effort but he isnt nhl material

if we call up one guy to play id really like to see moore back up here and nedved given a night off to think about his game and get it back fast

rucinsky-holik-kovalev
simon-lindros-barnaby
hlavac-moore-carter
lacouture-messier-ortmeyer

id just like to see us try it thats all, it could fail, it could work

Old
12-15-2003, 01:18 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
id rather see lacouture play on that 4th line, macdonald wasnt anything special, he gave it effort but he isnt nhl material

if we call up one guy to play id really like to see moore back up here and nedved given a night off to think about his game and get it back fast

rucinsky-holik-kovalev
simon-lindros-barnaby
hlavac-moore-carter
lacouture-messier-ortmeyer

id just like to see us try it thats all, it could fail, it could work
If MacDonald got sent down, I know we all want Moore back, but lets see who else in Hartford can help, lets give everyone a chance. Id want either Garth Murray called up or Chad Wiseman given a chance first.

Old
12-15-2003, 08:11 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaCouture39
If MacDonald got sent down, I know we all want Moore back, but lets see who else in Hartford can help, lets give everyone a chance. Id want either Garth Murray called up or Chad Wiseman given a chance first.
I hope Chad will be called up again soon. He deserves to have a chance to play with the Rangers. I couldn't believe he was sent down without playing at all in late October. How could Sather *really* determine how a guy would do in a game just by watching him practice once or twice? If he knew he wasn't going to put Chad in, then why did he bother to call him up in the first place?! :mad:

Closed Thread