HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Token wet-blanket topic: GMDM revisited - Where do you stand?

View Poll Results: Should GMDM be fired or allowed one more shot?
Fire him! 38 61.29%
Keep him! 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2007, 09:16 PM
falcor

vCash: 500
with all this talk about draft picks, i have to wonder:

what makes the draft pick 'good'? is it their own talent or is it the coaching/system they play in?

would nash/zherdev be a better player on another team? would kopitar/horton/bouwmeester/etc... have performed as well on our team?

perhaps i'm putting too much faith in hitch. perhaps i envision him with more power than he really has. perhaps i even think that he has the ownership's ear.. that he has input on who he wants signed as a free agent/who he'd like to trade for, including who he's willing to part with/who he'd like drafted. i think that the team will perform better with a full year under hitch, but the fact that i'm even sitting here wondering if doug will try to trump him makes me think that he should go.

Old
04-01-2007, 10:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
with all this talk about draft picks, i have to wonder:

what makes the draft pick 'good'? is it their own talent or is it the coaching/system they play in?

would nash/zherdev be a better player on another team? would kopitar/horton/bouwmeester/etc... have performed as well on our team?

perhaps i'm putting too much faith in hitch. perhaps i envision him with more power than he really has. perhaps i even think that he has the ownership's ear.. that he has input on who he wants signed as a free agent/who he'd like to trade for, including who he's willing to part with/who he'd like drafted. i think that the team will perform better with a full year under hitch, but the fact that i'm even sitting here wondering if doug will try to trump him makes me think that he should go.
Why do people think Doug would "trump" Hitch's efforts or opinions?

1. I believe DM does want the best for this team, but sometimes makes mistakes.

2. I believe Hitch is enough of a man and coach to get what he needs.

3. Personnel evaluations are too complicated and far-flung to be the work of just DM. His staff/scouts/coaches have a say. If they didn't, they would have said so through back channels (such as the Dispatch) long ago.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Why do people think Doug would "trump" Hitch's efforts or opinions?

1. I believe DM does want the best for this team, but sometimes makes mistakes.

2. I believe Hitch is enough of a man and coach to get what he needs.

3. Personnel evaluations are too complicated and far-flung to be the work of just DM. His staff/scouts/coaches have a say. If they didn't, they would have said so through back channels (such as the Dispatch) long ago.
I'm thinking the Dispatch has only just started growing a backbone when it comes to reporting on Maclean and I think both Arace and Portzline have finished up their learning curve on Maclean and the NHL. I know I'm hard on the Dispatch's dynamic duo ... I have OFTEN sympathized with their jobs of covering Jacket hockey. Poor SOBs ... we know as well as anyone that there are only so many ways to say "Wow, that hockey was painful to watch."

At some point ownership, the team, the fans all have to be able to wipe Maclean from the equation. So long as Maclean remains GM there will always be some GLARING FAULT, some DISTRACTION OF PAST HISTORY that will prevent this franchise from focusing on the task at hand: building a Contender. All the excuses, justifications, rationalizations on why we aren't a winning club have to be burned, the acceptance of poor work and poor strategic thinking exorcised, and the hard work of fulfilling potential and expectations begun.

This "guessing" at who holds power and who is responsible for our club's coccoon of mediocrity must end. Okay, maybe "mediocrity" is really just too kind... I stated earlier in the thread that it was up to Hitch and the boys to save Maclean's job next season - It occurred to me this afternoon that perhaps neither Hitch nor the team WANT to save Doug's job for him. Just a thought.

Last edited by Pluckfur: 04-02-2007 at 04:07 AM. Reason: exorcising my spelling demons
Old
04-17-2007, 10:29 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

*bump*

More Maclean all the time.

Old
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
*bump*

More Maclean all the time.
See this is pointless...you complain about to many MacLean threads and then you go bump another thread that was dead.

JF let the mods do the modding please.

Closed Thread