HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Felice Navidad?

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 05:45 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Feliz Navidad .... ?????

We want to wish you a merry Christmas ... ????????

When you have been down on your luck, no one ever offers you a hand up, and so it goes on the mean streets of the NHL. The 2nd victory to actually begin a winning streak is always the hardest win to earn. Too often win #1 produces fleeting momentary relief from ongoing failure so as to reduce personal urgency. Such urgency is needed to seek out, come to grips with, and then to deal with the cold hard realties encountered. To substantiate improved outlook, with evidence of improved circumstance, self betterment is required. You work hard, you pay the price, but if the payoff fizzles, so does the outlook. Lack of substance leads to being kicked around and used as everybody's patsy. When you are unable to protect your own turf, the mean streets get scary and become more dangerous. Unfortunately, Lack of Substance Abuse (LSA) has become a very bad habit for the Boys on the PK bust.

As the Copper & Blue specialty team play has bottomed out, the 'Oil' bums seem powerless to overcome their disadvantaged affliction. Statistically derelict in their duties, the self-soiled ones are nearly as outcast on the power play. They continue to deposit pond poop, even when they out number their opposition. Often when skating with an extra stiff, too frequently the Oilers play scared and as performance dies, anxiety thrives. Usually the 'Oil' end up out slicking themselves. But every 12-step program to recovery begins with the realization that there really is a problem. The problem is obvious to every one--specialty team play. Being 30th on the penalty kill is literally scraping the bottom of the dumpster. Seemingly passed out at 28th on the PP garners little respect from their more sober peers who foul on them with impunity. A foul assessed but served without consequence is really no penalty at all. Only 16 goals scored on a 142 power play attempts invites even play misdeeds.

Hopefully, a visit to the City of Angels can begin the process of redemption. Perhaps a teamly miracle will occur wherein the lowly can raise themselves up and earn some much needed self-respect. In the "Golden State" where the Governator would put all Canadians out of work, season's greetings and good will toward men might be in short supply. Down-and-Outers from up north should expect to be deported unceremoniously if they do not earn their keep. Given a Hollywood defeat, the hockey homeless would arrive back to their northern haunts, still chained in the nightmare of the Ghost of Christmas Future, and be in grave danger of experiencing playoffs lost.

With just 4 wins in 11 days this timely return to respectability could yet be achieved. So that the hope of enjoying a Feliz Navidad can remain a positive outlook, the PP & PK bust must stop at the Staples Center. Leading the Pacific Division with just 34 points, the Kings are 7-6-1-0 at home. On the road the Oilers are 4-6-4-0 and will close out their current excursion on Tuesday night in Los Angeles before returning to face the Wild and Canucks at home and traveling to encounter the Flames before Xmas break. Four (4) games in eleven (11) days to earn eight (8) conference points is best gift money can't buy besides being home for the holidays and with the ones you love.

Last edited by OYLer: 12-16-2003 at 05:07 AM.
Old
12-15-2003, 05:49 PM
streetballer03

Maligayang Pasko!!!
Sing Dan Fae Lok. Gung Hai Fat Choi
Sretan Bozic!
Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar
Frohe Weihnachten und ein gl|ckliches Neues Jahr!
Nollaig Shona duit!
Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo!
Boas Festas!
Vesowe Boze Narodzenie!
S nastupaiushchim Novym godom i s Rozhdestvom Khristovym!

Old
12-15-2003, 07:31 PM
momentai

:p

It's Feliz Navidad in Spanish.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:03 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
:p

It's Feliz Navidad in Spanish.
Thank you sir for pointing out my rather large error. The edits have been made. Because I was quoting the Jose Feliciano song I "Googled" Felice Navidad and found a myriad of responses to my anglicized input of the idiom and in ignorance propagated ongoing unilingual idiocy.

My apologies to all those who speak Spanish.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:08 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Feliz Navidad eh?

thanks, you too

I actually sang the song back in grade 3 for my school

Old
12-16-2003, 05:31 AM
Mr Sakich

oyler, you have already claimed NOT to be Rod Black. Do you write for him?

Old
12-16-2003, 06:19 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
oyler, you have already claimed NOT to be Rod Black. Do you write for him?
Mr Sakich, I'm hoping that your inquiries are somewhat complimentary. If you mean the Rod Black who is the "signature voice for CTV and CTV Sportsnet" and has become a TSN play-by-play announcer as the result of the merger of CTV and TSN, the answer is no. William Houston a writer at the The Globe And Mail said of Black:
He was criticized early at CTV for being light on substance, but he has improved steadily. If there's a weakness, it's too much boosterism. His strength is versatility. He also has a strong, affable on-air presence. (article source http://www.globeandmail.com/series/s...rs/SMEDIN.html )
I have never made a single cent from my writing as writing used creatively to earn a living. But if their is anyone out there who would like to hire my pen, it is for sale as long as my principles are not compromised. I can and will write as the devil's advocate but my soul is not for sale.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:28 AM
Mr Sakich

oyler, it was a compliment. I really enjoy his solliloquies. His best stuff is when the broadcast first starts and paints a picture of the event. Those monologues could be pulled right out of your posts here.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:20 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
paints a picture
One of the highest compliments. imo

Old
12-16-2003, 09:16 AM
T-Rexall

Your writing is indeed creative and thought provoking - even though I sometimes feel very PUNished while wading through the many literary illusions and obscure metaphors that you seem to favor. I think your posts are quite refreshing and unique.

OYLer - as always a very interesting read.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:31 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Thank you sir for pointing out my rather large error. The edits have been made. Because I was quoting the Jose Feliciano song I "Googled" Felice Navidad and found a myriad of responses to my anglicized input of the idiom and in ignorance propagated ongoing unilingual idiocy.

My apologies to all those who speak Spanish.
Hey, it's not a big deal. Just pointing it out. At least I learned something from 3 years in high school... Man it's tough being the only Asian kid in a Spanish class. :p

Closed Thread