HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/Montreal Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I don't think Laraque is worth Ryder, but I also don't think we'd have a spot for him. He isn't going to beat out Dvorak or Hemsky, which leaves Pisani's spot and Laraque's spot. Pisani is hurt right now, meaning one of Salmo or Rita will be called up to fill it most likely. At best, Ryder would be our third or fourth line RW, which certainly isn't bad, but not great either. Honestly, I had no idea he had 16 pts this season - all I knew about him was from watching the bulldogs last year. He must have made some big strides this year (literally...always thought he couldn't skate) to be doing that well, although getting top-line icetime can't hurt either.

My apologies to Habs fans. That said...I'd rather keep Laraque. Not because he is worth more than Ryder (he isn't) but because he fills a role (however dubiously) that we need right now.
Keep in mind Ryder also plays left wing just as effectively as he does the right side. He's more or less earned the top line ice time after having played on the fourth line, as well as with Perreault and Audette, then with Ribeiro and Hossa, and he always stuck with his game of being a physical presence that can generate offense, and takes a boat load of shots.

And you're not the only one caught by surprise with Ryder. From seeing him in Hamilton last year, I didn't think he had this offensive capacity in him either, but he's consistently been a real strong point for Montreal this year.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:45 AM
Mizral

I love the Oil, but Laraque is terrible. You don't have to be an Oiler hater to see it.

$1.4 million and for 3 more years after this one too. For a decent 4th liner/enforcer? That's terrible, quite frankly. The years on the deal will kill interest, as well. He's got more than $5 million to be paid out to him, and not many teams are going to want to take that on with CBA uncertainty.

Old
12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Yeah, but my main point is not really a comment on Ryder (who, in all honesty, I have not followed very closely). My only point is that the Habs are not going to surrender one of their primary young assets (like Hainsley) for a 4th line enforcer.
It's Hainsey, and your logic gets my seal of approval.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:23 PM
tiredman

we have langdon we don't need another goon and hainsey is still a good prospect.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:26 PM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I love the Oil, but Laraque is terrible. <b>You don't have to be an Oiler hater to see it.</b>

No, but it appears to help...

Closed Thread