HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why don't players like our organization?

Old
03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Bottom line is I don't think Mrs. Pronger gave the city a fair chance and couldn't handle the winters up in Canada.

Hindsight being what it is, but say instead of signing Pronger, we upped our offer to Neidermayer to $6.5 million and he signs here, I'm not sure if this is an issue. Or say we waited and then got in on the Joe Thornton trade.

Most hockey wives really don't care, that was never an issue before with Weight/Arnott/Cujo/Guerin/Smyth/etc. etc. etc.

We just have bad luck with wives from St. Louis for some reason (Janet Jones Gretzky is also from ... where else ... St. Louis, though her role in the Gretzky debacle is debatable).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Edmonton as a city is currently going through its adolescence, IMO. I think it is finally beginning to believe that it is and can be so much more than a sleepy gov't rest-stop on the way from Calgary to Ft. Mac. We are in a transition phase at the moment, but between all the new downtown residential spaces being built, the cafe/reastaurant/nightlife that will inevitably follow (and has already started to do so), current and proposed river-valley development, ongoing massive changes and improvements at the UofA, the prospect of new downtown office towers, and the potential for a new downtown arena/entertainment complex, this city is going to be significantly changed for the better within the span of 5-10 years.

Back on topic, though, I believe that the major reasons are money and management. While it is demonstrably no longer the case, I believe the perception remains that the Oilers don't pay well compared to ther teams. I think that will change as we get further along into the post-cap era. As far as management is concerned, while I am a big supporter of Kevin Lowe, I think that he has attracted or contributed to much more than his fair share of drama re: the organization. Whether it's Comrie, Pronger, Smyth, Laraque, Chimera or whatever, bad vibes seem to have been following this team for a few years now. The organization and its fans could stand to see a little less emotion involved at the top, imo...
Booms also go bust. For now Edmonton is doing well, but these things are cyclic. If not for the economy, Edmonton really doesn't have that many things going for it, unless you like to live in a backwater quiet place with clean air and low pollution.

Last edited by Tyrolean: 03-28-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Well Sutter has really turned the org around down there. They were the favourites to win the division and most publications and broadcasters had the Oilers missing the playoffs. The players would know that.

You're probably right about the image having a huge effect though. When money/lifestyle and travel are bigger concerns then winning it means the Oilers will always have a more difficult time attracting players. Winning would make a difference though, and that is the only thing the Oilers can control.

What’s the best thing about your job?
1) Living dream/playing/adrenaline/sold out buildings, etc. (111) 43%
2) Friendship/Teammates (32) 12%
3) Money/Lifestyle (26) 10%
4) Travel/other cities/road trips (25) 9.7%
5) Times off/Summer (22) 8.5%
6) Playing against best/competing (11) 4.2%
7) Everything (8) 3%
8) Fans (6) 2.3%
9) Women (5) 2%
10) Naps (3) 1.2%
11) Winning (3)1.2%

What’s the worst thing about your job?
1) Travel/flying/sked/missing family (104) 42.6%
2) Injuries (33) 13.5%
3) Nothing (25) 10.2%
4) Losing/slump (17) 6.9%
Proves it's all about money and less about loyalty to city or country.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
theoil

It would be interesting to know what the Oilers brass does in terms of a package on the city when they go after UFA's. One of the guys in this thread talks about how young guys want the night life and entertainment but that tends to change once the kids show up. For UFA's in their late 20's and early 30's with kids they are thinking about quality of life in terms of safety, quality of schools, tax issues, convenience for services around town and cost of housing. I wonder if a package that points out the positives of this city goes out with the UFA offer. RiversQ is basically correct on the 5 factors but I wonder how we "bundle' our positives when we go shopping in a marketplace where we face competition. Do we have players who have come here doing a 30 second "this is why I like living in this town' segment on a dvd that hilights what the city is about? We should.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Soundwave

Yeah but in the cap world where several teams can now offer the same amount, the other factors become a lot bigger.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:34 PM
OntOilFan

Because the weather sucks, the travel blows and mediocre/poor hockey has become acceptable and the norm here

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:42 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Booms also go bust.
Very true, but IMO, the current boom will very likely be a long one (yeah, I know - famous last words). Between climate change (doesn't matter if it's real or not - it matters whether underwriters and commodities traders think it's real), the possiblity of peak oil concerns, the current conflicts in Iraq & Afghanistan (not to mention the potential for conflict in Iran), acts and threats of large scale terrorism, and the fast maturation of the Chinese/Indian economies, I don't see the price of Oil falling to early 80's levels any time soon. It is very sad to say (and I am well aware that it seems terrible to do so), but 9/11 and climate change concerns were/are the best things to happen to AB in a long time, solely in regards to the price of oil.

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:06 PM
Little Fury

Hell, I don't like this city and I'm not getting paid millions of bucks to be here.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

This 'report' doesn't seen legit to me, it seems more of a joke or an off-hand thing rather than serious thing. I mean seriously, Shaggy's younger brother as a franchise player?? ***? That guy couldn't stay in the line-up for Dallas. But the Travel thing does kinda make you wander, but you know, i dont think its that big deal, They also forgot to mention the good things abouit this Organization, like how numerous people have wanted to come back, even with taking a pay-cut, or how Ryan Smyth cried, as he was loved so much by fans and city. I'll tell ya, i know Edmonton isn't the best place to play hockey, but its definetly not the worst.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Wrecker99

Maybe its us fans.....we are a um....a fickle bunch

Wrecker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:59 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Because the weather sucks, the travel blows and mediocre/poor hockey has become acceptable and the norm here
What an ignorant comment.

Who exactly is accepting mediocre play here. You've been on this board enough this season to know that nobody is accepting it. But face the facts, bad years like this happen in pro sports to all teams.

Have you gotten your flames flag up yet?

SerbianEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecker99 View Post
Maybe its us fans.....we are a um....a fickle bunch
See i dont get that, not pick on you, because im mildly suspecting that your sarcastic, but that sort of comment i dont get. I mean really, from my perspective, its not hard please me, just try your butt off every shift, show some emotion and dont whine, win lose or draw. I dunno about everyone else, but if Torres and Lupul did that all year, and still got the same results, i would have give them a break. Maybe i'm way too easy to please?? Thoughts??

Old
03-28-2007, 05:08 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
See i dont get that, not pick on you, because im mildly suspecting that your sarcastic, but that sort of comment i dont get. I mean really, from my perspective, its not hard please me, just try your butt off every shift, show some emotion and dont whine, win lose or draw. I dunno about everyone else, but if Torres and Lupul did that all year, and still got the same results, i would have give them a break. Maybe i'm way too easy to please?? Thoughts??
-What about Pronger last year, 20 games in and people on this board were trashing him
-How about Peca, everyone ran thier mouth at what garbage this guy was and yet where were those people during the playoffs
-When we traded for Roli what were people saying, he was nothing and garbage as well
-What about Hemmer as well, everyone seems to know better than him because they scored 6 goals in their div 8 beer league game so that qualifies them as experts

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:12 PM
rec28

Quote:
As I posted earlier,

Quote:
"Sure, you pay your money, you have every right to boo, insult, whatever, but you should understand that there are consequences...".
For better or worse (much worse, imo) we as a fanbase are extremely hard on the players - we routinely pick one or two guys to boo and yell at each season. Criticize and scream your head off as much as you like, but it's completely irrational to expect the players to welcome or appreciate it.

Old
03-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
-What about Pronger last year, 20 games in and people on this board were trashing him
-How about Peca, everyone ran thier mouth at what garbage this guy was and yet where were those people during the playoffs
-When we traded for Roli what were people saying, he was nothing and garbage as well
-What about Hemmer as well, everyone seems to know better than him because they scored 6 goals in their div 8 beer league game so that qualifies them as experts
I get what your saying, and i do agree, we jump to conclusions way too early sometimes, but i think you kinda proved my argument in a way. Look at the points you've made, they were only a small period of time (except Peca), once they got better, i think everyone layed off. Again Peca didnt have monster play-off numbers only 11 points, but did the little things right. You see where i'm doing with this?? Or am i out to lunch?? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
As I posted earlier,

For better or worse (much worse, imo) we as a fanbase are extremely hard on the players - we routinely pick one or two guys to boo and yell at each season. Criticize and scream your head off as much as you like, but it's completely irrational to expect the players to welcome or appreciate it.

Well as a professional athelete, i think any team you go to, you'll get yelled at by some people, in Edmonton, its more. But i dont get this again, we're never too bad, i mean, we dont go to home games bringing signs or paper bags, we're on message boards and internet and just talk to people. Look at Montreal for e.g., they sometimes here Paperbags to games, they Boo their own players (i think, i may be thinking of something else), This season, we have sucked immensly, but i didn't see either of those happen in majority. If your making $6.5 million, and sucking, IMO, we have a right to complain, not only are you taking up cap space, but also roster space, and company money. And if a few boo's is too much to handle, then why play, you get judged on playing, you making a living out of it, you'll get judged always, if a few fans are not happy with the way you play, and you break-down because of what some fans think, ***? Again, do you see where i'm going with this?? Or am i out to lunch again?? lol

Old
03-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
There's that. There's also the whole Chris Pronger fiasco ... which every NHL player I'm sure knows about.
Which had nothing to do with the city. And if anything, I'd imagine that Lowe's conduct in that situation and the fact that he didn't throw Pronger under the bus when he could have to take the heat off of himself speaks well for the organization.

God knows if I was in Lowe's shoes, I would have handled that situation with much less class than he did.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
rec28

Quote:
I get what your saying, and i do agree, we jump to conclusions way too early sometimes, but i think you kinda proved my argument in a way. Look at the points you've made, they were only a small period of time (except Peca), once they got better, i think everyone layed off. Again Peca didnt have monster play-off numbers only 11 points, but did the little things right. You see where i'm doing with this?? Or am i out to lunch?? lol

Well as a professional athelete, i think any team you go to, you'll get yelled at by some people, in Edmonton, its more. But i dont get this again, we're never too bad, i mean, we dont go to home games bringing signs or paper bags, we're on message boards and internet and just talk to people. Look at Montreal for e.g., they sometimes here Paperbags to games, they Boo their own players (i think, i may be thinking of something else), This season, we have sucked immensly, but i didn't see either of those happen in majority. If your making $6.5 million, and sucking, IMO, we have a right to complain, not only are you taking up cap space, but also roster space, and company money. And if a few boo's is too much to handle, then why play, you get judged on playing, you making a living out of it, you'll get judged always, if a few fans are not happy with the way you play, and you break-down because of what some fans think, ***? Again, do you see where i'm going with this?? Or am i out to lunch again?? lol
I absolutely understand where you are going with it, but you are describing an ideal. I'm pointing to reality - we have a history of being extremely hard on our players and of running a different one out of town nearly every year (not to mention the vitriolic reception that recently-departed players routinely receive). Montreal is the only city I can think of that equals or exceeds our "efforts". Whether they make millions of dollars to play a kids game or not, the reality remains that they are humans, too - just rich ones - and they are subject to every one of the same failings as we mere mortals. There's no reason to expect constant and vocal criticism to be welcomed or appreciated.

Old
03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
The problem none of the crap or very little has been warrented in this case. The only thing Pronger did not do was score while Roli was one of the better goalies down the stretch yet people decided to trash both of them.

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:

Consider the treatment Poti got during his last stretch here in Edmonton, where he was booed every time he touched the puck. Not all the fans were doing it but a signficant amount of them were. I'm sure opposition players noted things like that when playing the Oilers.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:30 PM
fancy dan*

i always thought it was less than a coincidence, that the "ice issue" at rexall place came out immediately following the patrik stefan miss, hemsky miracle goal. all the stars came back and said the ice was garbage and that was the reason the puck bounced. that was obviously late in the game when no ice is good, and i just felt that the media ran with it. i think the crap ice at rexall is severely blown out of proportion, and frankly born by media types trying to dig up stories.

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:34 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Skalbania View Post
i always thought it was less than a coincidence, that the "ice issue" at rexall place came out immediately following the patrik stefan miss, hemsky miracle goal. all the stars came back and said the ice was garbage and that was the reason the puck bounced. that was obviously late in the game when no ice is good, and i just felt that the media ran with it. i think the crap ice at rexall is severely blown out of proportion, and frankly born by media types trying to dig up stories.
I don't know about that. They seem to spend a lot of time repairing the ice during the game.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
4th_Liner

1) the oilers don't pay you enough..
2) the oilers don't win..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:18 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
create a winning environment...players will want to come here...simple as that...
Not necessarily, look at some of the teams at the top of the list. Several of them are not by any means 'winners'.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because the guys at the hockey news are a bunch of ****ing d***he bag ***hole, trying their hardest to make things hard for Lowe and the franchise in general.

I seriously want to kick brophy in the nuts.
So you are upset at the Hockey News because players don't like Edmonton?

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
So you are upset at the Hockey News because players don't like Edmonton?
I dunno about HockeyNews, but if Brophy is part of it, then no surprise, he's been against the Oilers for a while now, always spewing crap about us, i think it was him, that on the Score, openly said that no one wants to play in Edmonton or something. And backed it up by saying some other crap that constantly puts a bad image on our City. Thats why he hates him, as we all do.