HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFAs hate washington?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
  #51
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
The only time I see a player sacraficing some salary to sign somewhere are the older star players who are trying to get on a cup challenging team.

Exactly...or the rarer and rarer (these days) hometown discount. Players understand that this is a business and there aren't many times (2 if they're lucky) where they can cash in on a big UFA contract.

You almost have to take the security of the more lucrative contract these days unless you're talking a few hundred grand.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:04 PM
  #52
bigeasy
Registered User
 
bigeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Yankee in South Ga.
Country: United States
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
You are mistaken on the importance of offense from the defense. While its not ever your primary source of offense, the lack of it can be a serious problem. Because the Capitals have next to zero scoring threat on the blue line opposing coaches play defense 5 against 3 on the Capitals. They do that safely because the two players on the blue are no threat even when left alone.

On the power play its even more critical. Good shots from the point create rebounds and havoc. They break the defensive box up and create running around. Except when Semin is at the point teams kill penalties in large part by inviting the Capitals to shoot from the blue line. Their shots are slow to get off, often therefore blocked, and not a threat to score when they are not blocked.

At 5 on 5 when its 3 on 3 its the late comer on offense that is the threat and often the open man. The Caps have no threat in those situations.

Production from the blue line is critical.
I agree and would also include the added pressure on an opponent w/ D-man that can bring up the puck - carrying in the zone and be a real threat. alway best to have a mix in skills.

bigeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
  #53
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
Funny, a lot of NHL players, coaches, commentators seem to disagree

http://www.buffalorising.com/story/a...r_of_nhl_playe
Who woulda thunk it --- the signal reaches all the way to Buffalo?

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
  #54
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
Funny, a lot of NHL players, coaches, commentators seem to disagree

http://www.buffalorising.com/story/a...r_of_nhl_playe

This story cracks me up. The funny thing is...everyone and I mean EVERYONE I know who was born in Buffalo, has moved OUT of that city.

I have no doubt it's a nice hockey town. I think that the people in the hockey business that they quote (in the article) probably have gravitated there because it's so close to Toronto without the Canadian taxes.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
  #55
dinoflint
Registered User
 
dinoflint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
My opinion is that at some point any team has to take financial risks to win. I am afraid the Capitals are not willing to do that anymore.
I don't know the answer, but of the last 6 stanley cup winners and losers, how many have made a financial risk in the offseason? Not calling you out, just curious...

Carolina Hurricanes/Edmonton Oilers
Tampa Bay Lightning/Calgary Flames
New Jersey Devils/Anaheim Mighty Ducks
Detroit Red Wings/Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche/New Jersey Devils
New Jersey Devils/Dallas Stars

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:15 PM
  #56
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoflint View Post
I don't know the answer, but of the last 6 stanley cup winners and losers, how many have made a financial risk in the offseason? Not calling you out, just curious...

Carolina Hurricanes/Edmonton Oilers
Tampa Bay Lightning/Calgary Flames
New Jersey Devils/Anaheim Mighty Ducks
Detroit Red Wings/Carolina Hurricanes
Colorado Avalanche/New Jersey Devils
New Jersey Devils/Dallas Stars
He's saying offseason because that's our only choice at this point. The others on that list have been active trading assets and/or picking up free agents, around the Cup run times haven't they?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
  #57
dinoflint
Registered User
 
dinoflint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
He's saying offseason because that's our only choice at this point. The others on that list have been active trading assets and/or picking up free agents, around the Cup run times haven't they?
Hehe - that's my question - cuz I don't know. On this board, we seem to take a lot of "facts" or "truisms" at face value without challenging them. I don't know, maybe its a group think study.

I'm just curious...

dinoflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM
  #58
Jeremy2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
And if you don't think these polls mean anything, go ask Willis McGahe what he thinks of Buffalo.
You couldn't spend 5 seconds and google his name to get it right?

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
  #59
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
You couldn't spend 5 seconds and google his name to get it right?
the sad thing is i did google it to find out how to spell it, and still left off an e. All this talk about Buffalo must be making me dumber.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:52 PM
  #60
River Man
Registered User
 
River Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
This is prob true, but are the Caps willing to out bid/over pay players to come here. Based on past history and McPhee's recent comments on WPL the answer is NO.
Well, in all fairness to McPhee and Leonosis, the Caps are in rebuilding mode, and it might be wiser just to pick up some supplemental players like a Handzus instead of big money free agents like Gomez, Briere, Drury etc. Also considering you guys have Backstrom coming over that will obviously help with the Center position, and he should probably be good for about 70-80 points.

River Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
  #61
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore View Post
Well, in all fairness to McPhee and Leonosis, the Caps are in rebuilding mode, and it might be wiser just to pick up some supplemental players like a Handzus instead of big money free agents like Gomez, Briere, Drury etc. Also considering you guys have Backstrom coming over that will obviously help with the Center position, and he should probably be good for about 70-80 points.
carefull, shanwon will yell at you for saying that

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
  #62
HockeyCritter
Registered User
 
HockeyCritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
He's saying offseason because that's our only choice at this point. The others on that list have been active trading assets and/or picking up free agents, around the Cup run times haven't they?
True enough, however those teams were solid teams that needed that something extra to give them an extra oomph come playoff time .... Caps aren't in that position yet. They need to get to the "solid team" part first. I think there's a good foundation there ... adding three or so parts (apart from Backstrom) will get them there.

HockeyCritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:59 AM
  #63
Burgh32
Registered User
 
Burgh32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: S.J
Posts: 1,871
vCash: 500
I've always wondered how Handzus would deal with being a 2nd line center.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 11:38 AM
  #64
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
I've always wondered how Handzus would deal with being a 2nd line center.
Well he had a very brief time as a top 6 center in Chicago this year and was excellent. I got to watch him a few of those games and he worked very well with Havlat.

As I have said many times now I think he would be an excellent fit on the 2nd line with Semin.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:10 PM
  #65
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Well he had a very brief time as a top 6 center in Chicago this year and was excellent. I got to watch him a few of those games and he worked very well with Havlat.

As I have said many times now I think he would be an excellent fit on the 2nd line with Semin.
At 4 million per? (What is rumored he's asking for)

I don't know. I'm torn on this one.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - Handzus - Fehr

Eh. I dunno. Maybe.

Last resort.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 12:44 PM
  #66
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
At 4 million per? (What is rumored he's asking for)

I don't know. I'm torn on this one.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - Handzus - Fehr

Eh. I dunno. Maybe.

Last resort.
That is what I would like to see, and then use the 1st rd pick this year on a RW to maybe take Clark's spot in a year ot two.

However at 4 million per there is no way i go for him. Thats just to much.

The reason he is asking so much from Chicago is because they pretty much want to use him as a #1 center, so he is asking for #1 center money. I would be surprised if the bigging goes past 3.6 on the open market.

Datsyuk asked for 6 earlier on this year, and now it is reported he is asking for 5. So what they origionally ask for and what they really expect to get are not always the same.

If the Caps could land Handzus for around 3.2-3.6 per for 3 or 4 years I would love it.

However in truth I don't expect the Caps to move for him, as they have said they want to use Backstrom to center Semin (although I don't think that will last) so if the Caps do go for a center in the UFA market expect it to be more of a playmaker like maybe a guy like Comrie.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
  #67
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
At 4 million per? (What is rumored he's asking for)

I don't know. I'm torn on this one.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - Handzus - Fehr

Eh. I dunno. Maybe.

Last resort.
Haven't the Caps already said that Backstrom would be on the 2nd line with Semin next season? If so, is Handzus really what we want for the 1st line, coming off a MAJOR knee injury AND asking for a ridiculous $4 mil per season? If the salary demands and knee injury aren't red flags, I don't know what is.


Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 03-30-2007 at 02:31 PM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:25 PM
  #68
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post

Datsyuk asked for 6 earlier on this year, and now it is reported he is asking for 5. So what they origionally ask for and what they really expect to get are not always the same.
That's not what I read last week. I read he's asking for $6.5mil and the Wings will only go to $6 mil.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
  #69
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCritter View Post
True enough, however those teams were solid teams that needed that something extra to give them an extra oomph come playoff time .... Caps aren't in that position yet. They need to get to the "solid team" part first. I think there's a good foundation there ... adding three or so parts (apart from Backstrom) will get them there.
I think a good many on that list did things before their Cup runs to build the team properly. THAT'S the point...

We're not even making those type of moves yet...Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a Stanley Cup contender. The chances that they can bring in all of the right assets in one offseason are slim to none, so they have to do it a bit at a time.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:31 PM
  #70
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
carefull, shanwon will yell at you for saying that

Nah...I won't yell....I'll just be amazed at another person who wants to saddle a Ferrari with an Nissan engine.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:33 PM
  #71
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
I've always wondered how Handzus would deal with being a 2nd line center.
He was a first-line center back in St. Louis many moons ago. He put up 25-28-53 while playing with Demitra.

On the plus side, he's a versatile two-way player that could (ala Zubrus) help out the top line on the defensive side of things and create space for Ovechkin. The negative is he's not a finesse playmaker type and that's what I see the Caps really wanting to augment Ovechkin's game. Unless they're secretly looking to put Backstrom on the top line and a free agent on the second line, Handzus wouldn't be a great fit.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:36 PM
  #72
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
The negative is he's not a finesse playmaker type and that's what I see the Caps really wanting to augment Ovechkin's game.
Exactly my point....Ovy needs a sweet passing playmaker not another Zubrus to bring his game to the next level.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:48 PM
  #73
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
That's not what I read last week. I read he's asking for $6.5mil and the Wings will only go to $6 mil.
Spectors just reported the other day that Datsyuk's agent is trying to use the contract given to Savard as a comparison as to what Datsyuk should get. Savard got 20 million over 4 years.

Where did you read differently? (not doubting you, just asking)

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:50 PM
  #74
Jasper17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
He was a first-line center back in St. Louis many moons ago. He put up 25-28-53 while playing with Demitra.

On the plus side, he's a versatile two-way player that could (ala Zubrus) help out the top line on the defensive side of things and create space for Ovechkin. The negative is he's not a finesse playmaker type and that's what I see the Caps really wanting to augment Ovechkin's game. Unless they're secretly looking to put Backstrom on the top line and a free agent on the second line, Handzus wouldn't be a great fit.
You are 100% right, that is why at no time did I ever mention Handzus should center Ovechkin. I think that would be the last thing Ovy needs.

However I do think Handzus would be perfect for Semin on the 2nd line.

Let me also make clear that this is what I want, not what I expect. From what everyone around the org is saying we should all expect Backstrom to center Semin (although I don't think that will last long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
Exactly my point....Ovy needs a sweet passing playmaker not another Zubrus to bring his game to the next level.
At no time has anyone said anything about bringing in Handzus to center Ovechkin. Everything I have ever written about bringing in Handzus was to center Semin on the 2nd line.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:07 PM
  #75
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
You are 100% right, that is why at no time did I ever mention Handzus should center Ovechkin. I think that would be the last thing Ovy needs.

However I do think Handzus would be perfect for Semin on the 2nd line.

Let me also make clear that this is what I want, not what I expect. From what everyone around the org is saying we should all expect Backstrom to center Semin (although I don't think that will last long).



At no time has anyone said anything about bringing in Handzus to center Ovechkin. Everything I have ever written about bringing in Handzus was to center Semin on the 2nd line.
I'm looking for the post...I think BTCG posted it or something....but it said Datsyuk wants $6.5, the Wings were willing to go to $6, and Holland was suspending negotiations until after the playoffs. I'll keep digging.

The Caps have already said that Backstrom will likely be the 2nd line center if he signs next season, so any FA center or trade will be for the top line.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.