HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

UFAs hate washington?

Old
03-30-2007, 03:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17 View Post
Spectors just reported the other day that Datsyuk's agent is trying to use the contract given to Savard as a comparison as to what Datsyuk should get. Savard got 20 million over 4 years.

Where did you read differently? (not doubting you, just asking)

You left out a quite important part of the Spectors rumor:

Spector's Note: That would be a notable drop from the rumoured $6 million plus he was believed seeking earlier this season. Savard (90 points as of this writing) is indeed close to comparable for Datsyuk (80 points as of this writing).

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i'd drop a Savard contract for Datsyuk in a second.

I'd go 6.5, or maybe 7 in a later year or two.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
You left out a quite important part of the Spectors rumor:

Spector's Note: That would be a notable drop from the rumoured $6 million plus he was believed seeking earlier this season. Savard (90 points as of this writing) is indeed close to comparable for Datsyuk (80 points as of this writing).
Did I?

Quote:
Datsyuk asked for 6 earlier on this year, and now it is reported he is asking for 5. So what they origionally ask for and what they really expect to get are not always the same.
I specifically pointed that out in the post you responded too. In fact, you highlighted and respond to that exact quote? (just checked, yes you did).

He was asking for 6, now it is being reported he is asking for 5. It shouldn't be confusing.

Where did you read differently?

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
i'd drop a Savard contract for Datsyuk in a second.

I'd go 6.5, or maybe 7 in a later year or two.
thank god your not the gm

Old
03-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
However I do think Handzus would be perfect for Semin on the 2nd line.
Yeah, I do think he could fit that hole pretty decently. Not that Semin is terrible defensively but he doesn't need a finesse playmaker as his center as much as Ovechkin does.

It'll also be interesting to see how the top 6 RWs shape up. Clark has made a serious case to stay in the top 6 but the temptation to go with a good two-way checking line of Pettinger - Gordon - Clark may be too much to pass up.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Did I?

I specifically pointed that out in the post you responded too. In fact, you highlighted and respond to that exact quote? (just checked, yes you did).

He was asking for 6, now it is being reported he is asking for 5. It shouldn't be confusing.

Where did you read differently?
When you quoted Spector you did. It doesn't matter....I'd rather not have to suffer through another argument about your brilliant GMing ideas.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Clark has made a serious case to stay in the top 6 but the temptation to go with a good two-way checking line of Pettinger - Gordon - Clark may be too much to pass up.
A checking line of Pettinger-Handzus-Clark would look even better, but now I'm just being greedy.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Yeah, I do think he could fit that hole pretty decently. Not that Semin is terrible defensively but he doesn't need a finesse playmaker as his center as much as Ovechkin does.

It'll also be interesting to see how the top 6 RWs shape up. Clark has made a serious case to stay in the top 6 but the temptation to go with a good two-way checking line of Pettinger - Gordon - Clark may be too much to pass up.
I agree with you 100% on both points.

I would like to see Handzus center Semin and Fehr next season. I think playing with 2 big bodies like Handzus and Fehr would open up lots of ice for Semin to work with and allow him to do what he does, dangle .

As for that checking line, i would love to see that.

I don't think either will happen though

Old
03-30-2007, 03:40 PM
pgreene

Quote:

handzus is a 40-50 point guy. he doesn't score goals well. he doesn't pass well. if we just want someone to get out of semin's way and be defensively responsible, put sutherby there. i don't see how he adds to semin's game in a way that someone far cheaper and younger could not do. not to mention the coming off a big knee injury thing. just doesn't make sense to me.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
strungout
Professional Killer

Just to be on the record....I think they should stick Backstrom with Ovie...not Semin.

Not saying that is what they are going to do...just what I would rather see them do. (At least until I can see with my own two eyes how good Backstrom is defensively against NHL talent)

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Trade
Semin - UFA/Trade - Fehr
Pettinger - Gordon - Clark
Brashear - Sutherby/Novonty - Laich/Bradley

Last edited by strungout: 03-30-2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added line up
strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar View Post
A checking line of Pettinger-Handzus-Clark would look even better, but now I'm just being greedy.
yes you are

Old
03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
handzus is a 40-50 point guy. he doesn't score goals well. he doesn't pass well. if we just want someone to get out of semin's way and be defensively responsible, put sutherby there. i don't see how he adds to semin's game in a way that someone far cheaper and younger could not do. not to mention the coming off a big knee injury thing. just doesn't make sense to me.
Let me respond to this....Because in someone's mind, Handzus played well enough for a whole 8 games with Havlat (even though he was pointless in 4 of them), that the Caps should go out and immediately sign him to a contract in the range of 3 years $9.6-$10.8 or 4 years $12.8-$14.4 million contract.

Simply quoting your numbers Japs.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgreene View Post
Sutherby is a 10-20 point guy, Handzus is a 40-50 point guy. There is a big difference. Handzus also skates a bit better than Sutherby and generally speaking is a better all around player.

Handzus also has never been given a role that would allow him to do much offensivly. Spending most of his career as a checking line center. So those 40-50 points per are actually pretty impressive when you remember what role he was playing in.

As for the knee, obviously that would have to be checked out. But from what I read it should be fine for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Just to be on the record....I think they should Backstrom with Ovie...not Semin.

Not saying that is what they are going to do...just what I would rather see them do. (At least until I can see with my own two eyes how good Backstrom is defensively against NHL talent)

Even though Backstrom may start with Semin, i predict that Backstrom will be centering Ovechkin for the majority of his career with the Caps.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Let me respond to this....Because in someone's mind, Handzus played well enough for a whole 8 games with Havlat (even though he was pointless in 4 of them), that the Caps should go out and immediately sign him to a contract in the range of 3 years $9.6-$10.8 or 4 years $12.8-$14.4 million contract.

Simply quoting your numbers Japs.
yes they should

he would be perfect as the Caps 2nd line center, glad to see you finally agree

are you going to tell me where you got the info that recently said Datsyuk was asking for 6.5? the longer you hold out the more and more I am starting to fear you may have been talking out of your ass again.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Just to be on the record....I think they should stick Backstrom with Ovie...not Semin.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Trade
Semin - UFA/Trade - Fehr
Pettinger - Gordon - Clark
Brashear - Sutherby/Novonty - Laich/Bradley
Longterm I totally agree....but I think it's difficult to throw the kid into the pressure cooker like that as a rookie. I believe (if he's the real deal like people would have us believe) that he'll likely be centering Ovy in the 2nd half of the season, IF....IF the Caps don't bring in an elite center like Datsyuk or Gomez (something along those lines).

If they bring in a middle tier center, then he's probably a stopgap on the top line until Backstrom is ready to take over and will go down to the 2nd line.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
yes they should

he would be perfect as the Caps 2nd line center, glad to see you finally agree

are you going to tell me where you got the info that recently said Datsyuk was asking for 6.5? the longer you hold out the more and more I am starting to fear you may have been talking out of your ass again.
Well let's see Spectors says "$6 +".....calm your adolescent whining....I have a job so I can't devote all my time to debunking your myths.

Old
03-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Well let's see Spectors says "$6 +".....calm your adolescent whining....I have a job so I can't devote all my time to debunking your myths.
they said he was asking for 6 million, that was at the beginning of the year and something pretty much everyone already knew.

However when I wrote that it was reported (by Spectors) that he dropped that down to around 5 million per you replied that you read recently he was asking for 6.5, so please provide where you read that?

I'm curious

Last edited by Jasper17: 03-30-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old
03-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Longterm I totally agree....but I think it's difficult to throw the kid into the pressure cooker like that as a rookie. I believe (if he's the real deal like people would have us believe) that he'll likely be centering Ovy in the 2nd half of the season, IF....IF the Caps don't bring in an elite center like Datsyuk or Gomez (something along those lines).

If they bring in a middle tier center, then he's probably a stopgap on the top line until Backstrom is ready to take over and will go down to the 2nd line.
exactly right, well done.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:00 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

Here's my thing with the pressure cooker arguement...

If the Caps can form a 2nd line that is just as bad ass as the first....then there would be equally less pressure on Backstrom if he played on either line. Right now they have 3 players on 2 lines that are producing. Ovie and Clark (who's not even up there anymore) on the 1st line...Semin on the 2nd line. If the Caps can get the other peices to add to the 2nd along with completing the first line...then it drastically changes how teams defend against the team reguardless of the line up.

Ovie - UFA/Trade - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr

Ovie - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - UFA/Trade - Fehr

I don't think you could go bad either way...but I really think Ovie and the team would benifit more with a playmaker like Backstrom on Ovies line than Semin would with one on his line. Smein needs a finisher (Fehr) and a steady two way center who cna chip in some offense. (Gomez...in my opinion...would be perfect. But Im not thinking he's going to want 2nd line center money)

I guess they need a guy who can play 1st line...but would be better suited for 2nd line as long as Backstrom is ready.

We'll see.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Here's my thing with the pressure cooker arguement...

If the Caps can form a 2nd line that is just as bad ass as the first....then there would be equally less pressure on Backstrom if he played on either line. Right now they have 3 players on 2 lines that are producing. Ovie and Clark (who's not even up there anymore) on the 1st line...Semin on the 2nd line. If the Caps can get the other peices to add to the 2nd along with completing the first line...then it drastically changes how teams defend against the team reguardless of the line up.

Ovie - UFA/Trade - Clark
Semin - Backstrom - Fehr

Ovie - Backstrom - Clark
Semin - UFA/Trade - Fehr

I don't think you could go bad either way...but I really think Ovie and the team would benifit more with a playmaker like Backstrom on Ovies line than Semin would with one on his line. Smein needs a finisher (Fehr) and a steady two way center who cna chip in some offense. (Gomez...in my opinion...would be perfect. But Im not thinking he's going to want 2nd line center money)

I guess they need a guy who can play 1st line...but would be better suited for 2nd line as long as Backstrom is ready.

We'll see.
I agree mostly...the pressure I speak of....is centering Ovechkin. He's one of the "faces of the NHL" as we hear all the time. Semin is "The Quiet Man". He could have some anonymity playing with Semin....at least for a short time.

I'm not so sure that Backstrom would handle the media pressure as well as Ovy does. In fact not many players would be able to handle the strains that Ovechkin deals with daily. Constant interviews from many media sources in every city...commercials, etc...that kind of stuff.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

I am kinda nervous about how Backstrom deals over here with all elements of being a NHL player. You could tell at the Draft....he just wasnt confortable.

Yeah...he's a kid in a foreign land and all that I suppose.

We'll see.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
I am kinda nervous about how Backstrom deals over here with all elements of being a NHL player. You could tell at the Draft....he just wasnt confortable.

We'll see.
I'm nervous too, i think you have to be a bit concerned about a kid coming to a new country for the first time. But I really don't see how playing him on the 2nd line is going to help him all that much.

The pressure he is going to be under is because he was the 4th overall pick, and the two guys drafted around him are already doing so well (Staal and Kessel). You could play him on the 4th line and that wouldn't change.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The pressure he is going to be under is because he was the 4th overall pick, and the two guys drafted around him are already doing so well (Staal and Kessel). You could play him on the 4th line and that wouldn't change.

The media attention from centering Ovy would be 1000x worse.

Old
03-30-2007, 04:48 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:

We'll see.
AO and Kolzig get most of the media attention on that side of things. Bunch of young guys in the locker room though so I'll think he'll fit in there. Ultimate worry is how he adjusts to the NHL on ice for me.

03-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
AO and Kolzig get most of the media attention on that side of things. Bunch of young guys in the locker room though so I'll think he'll fit in there. Ultimate worry is how he adjusts to the NHL on ice for me.
Agreed. The youth in the locker room should help put him at ease along with the general sense from the front office that they'll do what it takes to ease his transition. It may be a trying experience at first but eventually he'll reach his comfort level and start to get into the swing of things.

Bringing in an experienced playmaking center would also give him someone to learn from and ease his adjustment to the NHL....someone that can put him under their wing and bring him along during practice, etc.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote