HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This board needs a dose of lithium

Old
03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
This board needs a dose of lithium

Seriously, people, I have never seen a group go from up to down and up again and down again so quickly. If the Rangers win, we talk about how deep we can go in the playoffs. If the Rangers lose, we talk about how we're going to miss out and half the roster needs to go. There's no middle ground; we're either singing from the mountains or slitting our wrists.

Calm down. The fact of the matter is that right now there are 5 teams separated by 2 points fighting for 2 playoff spots with 11-13 games remaining. Passion for the game is great. And yes, every bounce seems to go against us. And yes, this team is incredibly frustrating to watch, but just accept that this is a bumpy ride and it's only going to get worse the rest of the way. If you think dropping from #8 to #10 is bad now, wait until it happens with 3 games remaining. These spots are likely going down to the wire. If you can't accept that and continue to live and die like this on every game, you probably won't make it to April.

I don't want to start taking away your belts and shoelaces, but I will if I have to.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:25 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Seriously, people, I have never seen a group go from up to down and up again and down again so quickly. If the Rangers win, we talk about how deep we can go in the playoffs. If the Rangers lose, we talk about how we're going to miss out and half the roster needs to go. There's no middle ground; we're either singing from the mountains or slitting our wrists.

Calm down. The fact of the matter is that right now there are 5 teams separated by 2 points fighting for 2 playoff spots with 11-13 games remaining. Passion for the game is great. And yes, every bounce seems to go against us. And yes, this team is incredibly frustrating to watch, but just accept that this is a bumpy ride and it's only going to get worse the rest of the way. If you think dropping from #8 to #10 is bad now, wait until it happens with 3 games remaining. These spots are likely going down to the wire. If you can't accept that and continue to live and die like this on every game, you probably won't make it to April.

I don't want to start taking away your belts and shoelaces, but I will if I have to.

I couldn't have said it better! It makes me crazy.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
chosen

I'd vote for Thorazine for those who keep jumping off and swimming back to the dock.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

I think I wrote a post about this recently...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:28 AM
lucky13
Iron Chic

pump up the valium.......

lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:29 AM
ruckus*

Your reasoning is logical but the problem is we're talking about people who are emotioanlly attached to a team. And emotion and logic will never go hand in hand. I think most of us understand that things are going to be up and down the rest of the way and that this is the way things go. But the bottom line is after a loss as bad as last nights (and all the multiple other ones this year) people are going to react emotionally in a negative way. You say that we should accept the fact that it's a bumpy road and that it's only going to get worse Well you should probably accept the fact that this is sports and this is how people react when things like this happen. Especially in New York. I normally am pretty even kieled but after this loss last night I was furious. I don't think I've been this mad at the team in a long time. It's completely un-acceptable to lose as many games as they have in this fashion. So as of today, and tomorrow, screw this team. And if they beat the Thrashers on Friday...well playoffs here we come! It's the nature of the beast my friend. Love it or leave it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

Can you say BI-POLAR? But you know, part of it (ok, a small part) is understandable given the bi-polar nature of the damn team!

Hell, you ever look at the game day threads? I look at them for comic relief but talk about mood swings!

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
TheRedressor

Well let me step up to the plate and say that not only can this team STILL make the playoffs, they STILL can go on a run once they get there!

Last night is one of those games that you just have to forget and move on. They had an unlucky bounce off Malik's stick also not to mention a horrible penalty called on Mara. A much needed sweep this Friday and Saturday will put them back on track.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
I try to stay neutral through the ups and downs, and it's laughable to see people fly off the handle after a loss or a win here. But to be honest, you have to lay a lot of the blame on this team. There will always be colorful posters here...but the inconsistency is maddening and that just compounds the overreactions. And I'm not sure why some of our more "exuberant" posters don't see the inconsistency and expect it, but oh well.

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Your reasoning is logical but the problem is we're talking about people who are emotioanlly attached to a team. And emotion and logic will never go hand in hand. I think most of us understand that things are going to be up and down the rest of the way and that this is the way things go. But the bottom line is after a loss as bad as last nights (and all the multiple other ones this year) people are going to react emotionally in a negative way. You say that we should accept the fact that it's a bumpy road and that it's only going to get worse Well you should probably accept the fact that this is sports and this is how people react when things like this happen. Especially in New York. I normally am pretty even kieled but after this loss last night I was furious. I don't think I've been this mad at the team in a long time. It's completely un-acceptable to lose as many games as they have in this fashion. So as of today, and tomorrow, screw this team. And if they beat the Thrashers on Friday...well playoffs here we come! It's the nature of the beast my friend. Love it or leave it.
I partially agree with what you're saying. I'm as emotionally attached to this team as anyone here. I get fired up after a big win, and I'm pissed off about the constant blowing of 2-goal leads. That's fine. That's the fun of being a sports fan.

But not every loss means the season is over, just like not every win means we're a playoff threat. Some posters seem to expect us to win every game down the stretch, and any loss is unacceptable. So when lose a game, the board is completely overloaded with wailing and gnashing of teeth. Whether you want to praise this team or blow it up, try to keep it within normal range until the season is over. If you keep going to the extremes over the little things, when the big thing does happen, you won't be able to deal with it or you'll be burned out and apathetic.

Bottom line, we lost a game we should have won last night, but we're still only 2 points out with 12 games left to play.

Old
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
I think the recent losses to Columbus and Philly were far worse than last night's, when they really just got outplayed by a better team.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Crease

Lets keep these games in perspective please. Last night's loss was the first game we didn't register a point in over two weeks. I think we were 5-0-2 in our last 7 before last night? This team is going to lose another game before the season is up. If we can put on another stretch like we just went through, I'd be thrilled.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:37 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Very good post Kodiak..

Sad but true!

Thats the beauty of being a Rangers fan.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
ruckus*

Quote:

Bottom line, we lost a game we should have won last night, but we're still only 2 points out with 12 games left to play.
I think that's really the big thing here. It's all about perspective. Had we WON last night, and been 2 points out with 12 games to play it seems a lot better than having LOST last night and potentially having been tied for 7th instead of 11th. It IS the same result either way, it's just a matter of how they got there. I do understand your reasoning and it is tiresome to have to read and deal with people. But this is a message board and people are going to vent vehemently. But yes, I do agree with you. 2 points out with 12 games left is the bottom line. We stil control our own destiny. So let's get it done. If we make the playoffs all of this is irrelevant anyways. (I know I know...potential seeding is different but still...just make it and anything can happen)

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
danman1202

There's a simple way to prevent all of these overreactions: think before you post. After a bad loss the first thought into your head is going to be an overreaction. There are more games left, we shouldn't get too crazy after a loss. There's still time.

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Garv23

Believe me, I understand the frustrations but I don't know what's worse... watching the Rangers lose a tough one like last night, or coming here for some hockey talk afterwards only to find a raging whinefest. I haven't been here too long but it's already pretty old.

I still think we're getting in the dance and can't freakin' wait! Go Rangers!

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2007, 04:05 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Let's liken people who annoy us to psychotic, bipolar animals who are all ready to jump off a bridge.

Something tells me many bubble teams have conflicted, reactionary fanbases. It's only human and we all do it (at least those of us who think freely), even the ones who claim to be such steadfast, loyal fans. I personally don't post after a bad loss or a great win because I know the raw emotion will interfere with reason. Emotion! Imagine that!

I mean, why do some of you guys care this much? Pick and choose what's gonna frustrate you; your team losing or people reacting to it. We're not members of the team so who cares?

Last edited by BobMarleyNYR: 03-14-2007 at 04:15 PM.
BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Kodiak

I think a bump is appropriate after tonight.

Old
03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

lol singing from the mountains

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
NYROrtsFan

Not the board...

Just a couple people.

I wonder if those people actually function through life going from one extreme to the other. It is pretty amazing that anyone can do that without hanging themselves.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Balej20*

lol everytime the team loses and people on this board get upset...this topic needs to be brought up. I tihnk I'm gonna make a topic about how everytime Ranger fans show passion on this board, someone tries to shoot them down.

I don't know why being a passionate fan is frowned upon by certain people on here. It's quite annoying. Ever hear of the term "Die Hard Fan?"

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Kodiak

There's passion, and then there's declaring the season over after every ****ing loss.

Take a deep breath, realize that we lost very little ground tonight, and there is still some hockey left to play.

Old
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
There's passion, and then there's declaring the season over after every ****ing loss.

Take a deep breath, realize that we lost very little ground tonight, and there is still some hockey left to play.
I don't know why people overreact to things people say in a GDT in the heat of the moment. Why does it bother you so much that you need to make a seperate topic about it? You know we're all fans of the team on here, and we deal with ups and downs in different ways. I don't think it is necessary to judge people on it.

Old
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
lol everytime the team loses and people on this board get upset...this topic needs to be brought up. I tihnk I'm gonna make a topic about how everytime Ranger fans show passion on this board, someone tries to shoot them down.

I don't know why being a passionate fan is frowned upon by certain people on here. It's quite annoying. Ever hear of the term "Die Hard Fan?"

Passion is one thing. But, it is rather funny to watch the collective fanbase go into a tizzy after the Rangers lose only their 2nd game in the last 14 games...especially considering the recent history of how this team played over the course of the last ten years.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Passion is one thing. But, it is rather funny to watch the collective fanbase go into a tizzy after the Rangers lose only their 2nd game in the last 14 games...especially considering the recent history of how this team played over the course of the last ten years.
And there is your answer as to why people get down so quickly. We all know damn well that at any moment, the floor can fall right out from under this team. We have been given no reason to be confident about this team.