HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi ruffling feathers

Old
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
bcking

vCash: 500
Lombardi ruffling feathers

Now we know how we won out on Piskula, good for Lombardi.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/columnists/bob_mckenzie/

What happens if the arbitrator rules in favor of the NHL?

Last edited by bcking: 03-28-2007 at 07:17 PM.
bcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:09 PM
took420s

Work it DL

took420s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:13 PM
deano

Nobody ever comes in first without ruffling a few feathers. Great sign if you ask me. Props to you DL

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcking View Post
What happens if the arbitrator rules in favor of the NHL?
I'd assume that would void the contract the Kings have w/ Piskula and Lombardi would have to work out another one as that would make Piskula a free agent again I guess, but since he's already been exposed to the Kings and would have gotten some compensation and NHL play with the Kings I would again assume would give the Kings and DL the inside track at keeping him with some new contract deal. Either way I think we picked up a promissing young D prospect into the system without using up a draft pick, great move

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Vector

Quote:
the meantime, Piskula will play for the Kings and collect his monies
Am I the only one who this bothers? That's a horrible sentence.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
LombardiTool

In the famous words of Jessie Ventura... if you arn't cheating, you arn't trying!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:35 PM
no name

I always hated when the Sand Fransisco 49ers would do smut like this and I don't like it now. If he was going to ruffle feathers, perhaps he should choose a better target.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
Am I the only one who this bothers? That's a horrible sentence.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/monies

Love the creativity by Lombardi. Usually a sign of shrewd GMs.

Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
lakings41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/monies

Love the creativity by Lombardi. Usually a sign of shrewd GMs.
You're right on him being shrewd as he also shifted a 9th round pick to have first dibs at Gary Suter during his SJ days.
But this is sour grapes by McKenzie and all the other wussies moaning. He claims big market teams throwing around money but we now live in a cap world so i'm confused.
In laymens terms leave us the **** alone. We're in last place and a player that wasn't even drafted is fair play no matter how you go about it.
With this article being publicized i'm more worried about future trading partners as others might jump on board.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:47 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
You're right on him being shrewd as he also shifted a 9th round pick to have first dibs at Gary Suter during his SJ days.
But this is sour grapes by McKenzie and all the other wussies moaning. He claims big market teams throwing around money but we now live in a cap world so i'm confused.
In laymens terms leave us the **** alone. We're in last place and a player that wasn't even drafted is fair play no matter how you go about it.
With this article being publicized i'm more worried about future trading partners as others might jump on board.
It's not as if the Kings spend like a big market team.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:01 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Finally, a GM that's gonna get down and dirty for this team.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I always hated when the Sand Fransisco 49ers would do smut like this and I don't like it now.
I'm not a fan of it, either. If you're ticking off your fellow GMs, that's generally not a good thing and can sometimes come back to bite you. You never know, but the Kings may miss out on the next JJ-like trade because a GM is inclined to accept the equal offer from the GM who hasn't ruffled his feathers recently. Sometimes, all it takes is a miniscule reason like this to choose one offer over another.

Also, here's something to think about: would everyone else here still be so applauding of tactics like this if had been the Kings who had lost out on Piskula (or another prospect) because some other team did this? I have a feeling that they wouldn't. People would, probably, be a little annoyed, just as these other GMs, understandably, are.

Last edited by Osprey: 03-29-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 03:12 AM
dabeechman

I still don't see where he did anything wrong. He followed the book, just like an attorney, and acted within the law.

What was he supposed to do exactly? Put up the same offer that every other team did and hope he still signs with the second worst team in the league? wishful thinking IMO

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'm not a fan of it, either. If you're ticking off your fellow GMs, that's generally not a good thing and can sometimes come back to bite you. You never know, but the Kings may miss out on the next JJ-like trade because a GM is inclined to accept the equal offer from the GM who hasn't ruffled his feathers recently. Sometimes, all it takes is a miniscule reason like this to choose one offer over another.

The other side of the coin is the players seem to like it. They seem to appreciate DL doing the little things like this to show that he really cares about getting the deal done.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo View Post
The other side of the coin is the players seem to like it. They seem to appreciate DL doing the little things like this to show that he really cares about getting the deal done.
Well, of course players like it. They just love it when teams dish out more money to them. Their union, the NHLPA, loves it, too. That's why they stepped in here in defense of Lombardi. Money doesn't breed loyalty, though. It just gets the job done.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 04:46 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Like teams refusing to deal with Lou because of how he avoided his cap hell? Or like teams refusing to deal with Burke because he signed Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet, a tactic that is usually frowned on?

I'm not a huge fan of circumventing signing bonuses like this, but if it is a team that gets away with it, I'm glad it's the team I root for. Either way, Lombardi got rewarded for his creativity, since he wouldn't have been able to woo a free agent over with a playoff-bound team; he had to find some way to get a leg up on the competition.

I assure you though; if there are assets that a GM wants from Lombardi, they're not going to think "Hey, that little ******* took Piskula from me. I'm going to go talk with another GM instead!"

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:03 AM
deano

Good God Osprey, do you freaking live in fantasy land or what. Everything to you is a morale standard, or an absolute. GM's are friends, and a-holes to each other all the time. Just because you wouldn't step on any toes, doesn't mean that isn't the right way. Lombardi's track record speaks volumes of the same stuff, and he's certainly in the GM's boys club.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:40 AM
Fat Elvis

I like the GM of the team I root for to do anything possible to help them win. LA has stunk for decades, you should be happy LA has a GM that gives a good G.. Damn about winning. Finally the a GM sacks up for your team and all some of you can do is whine . You must work for the city or govenment, because you can care less about results.

Fat Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
I remember, at the time of that trade, Deano gave Doug Wilson credit for coming up with the suggestion.

03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
It just gets the job done.
Which is Lombardi's job. Loyalty went the way of the dinosaur in pro sports decades ago.

Patty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Money doesn't breed loyalty, though.
No... ..Money gets good players signed to play here so we don't wind up in 25th place again next season.

Free Agency itself doesn't breed loyalty. You want loyalty in sports between players and organ-eye-zations? Start a league that doesn't allow player movement.

And good luck with that by the way... ..you'll need it.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Personally, who cares? Lou gets away with this kind of **** all the time, about time it was someone else, and I love that it was Lombardi.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:35 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Like teams refusing to deal with Lou because of how he avoided his cap hell? Or like teams refusing to deal with Burke because he signed Ryan Kesler to an offer sheet, a tactic that is usually frowned on?
uhh?? It was Bobby Clarke that signed Kesler to the offer sheet (in Philly! Burke is the GM in Anahiem).

And he was fired soon after, so don't know if it really did affect how other GMs reacted.

I agree with Osprey here... if this was happened to another team, I'm sure many Kings fans wouldn't be as thrilled about this as they are.... McKenzie is usually a very good source as well, so if he's suggesting that the rest of the league's GM aren't happy with Lombardi, chances are that he's reported the truth here.

If that's the case, it doesn't matter how you spin it... you aren't going to be successful as a GM if your peers don't want to deal with you.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
kingsfan25

Wow...I guess DL must be pretty high on Piskula.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I agree with Osprey here... if this was happened to another team, I'm sure many Kings fans wouldn't be as thrilled about this as they are....

Not because we lost out on the player, but because we would say "why didnt DL think of that?"

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote