HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi ruffling feathers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-29-2007, 11:48 AM
  #26
lakings41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I agree with Osprey here... if this was happened to another team, I'm sure many Kings fans wouldn't be as thrilled about this as they are.... McKenzie is usually a very good source as well, so if he's suggesting that the rest of the league's GM aren't happy with Lombardi, chances are that he's reported the truth here.

If that's the case, it doesn't matter how you spin it... you aren't going to be successful as a GM if your peers don't want to deal with you.
Seriously most fans here wouldn't give a **** and even if they did how long would it really last. If it wasn't publicized on TSN then nobody would even talk about it. I can almost bet that the few GM's that are moaning are the ones that made a pitch for Piskula and came up short. It's not like we just nabbed a potential Norris candidate.
I give props to DL for working within the rules no matter how gray that area was. Does LL in Jersey get props or does he get frowned upon because he's smarter than most. I'm just happy our GM didn't sit on his hands. I can only hope he ruffles more feathers now as playing the PC club gets you nowhere. In my opinion this thing is blown way out of proportion. Who's to even say Piskula gets an NHL job next season?

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:50 AM
  #27
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Not because we lost out on the player, but because we would say "why didnt DL think of that?"
yea... cause that's what the rest of the teams in the league are saying right now, right??

reality is that they aren't thinking "why didn't [their GM] think of that" ... they're thinking, how does this affect the NHL's salary cap situation now??

as a canuck fan, I'm not worried about this... our organization can easily go over the cap, considering the amount of profits they've made in this market... but if the NHL's goal is to have a level playing field for all teams, then this is clearly a move which goes against that, where it introduces payment to players outside the scope of cap restrictions... so small market teams have a right to be concerned about such moves... and GMs of those teams, that don't have the extra salary leverage that larger market teams have, have a right to be upset, thinking they are now managing on a level playing field, while some big market teams are looking at loopholes to uneven that financial playing field.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
  #28
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,041
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
I still don't see where he did anything wrong. He followed the book, just like an attorney, and acted within the law.

What was he supposed to do exactly? Put up the same offer that every other team did and hope he still signs with the second worst team in the league? wishful thinking IMO
There are always rules people don't like. This is one of them. Bob Clarke was involved in a complete **** storm last year because he signed Kesler to an offer sheet, because it was a rule other GM's don't like, and chose to ignore it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
  #29
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
yea... cause that's what the rest of the teams in the league are saying right now, right??
You said "kings fan" not the rest of the league. The average Kings fan is not worried about any salary cap but why we are beat or lose out on prospects and UFA's all the time.

Quote:
reality is that they aren't thinking "why didn't [their GM] think of that" ... they're thinking, how does this affect the NHL's salary cap situation now??
Reality is, every GM plays by the same rules. If this worked for Lombardi it will work for Burke next, or whomever wins out.

Quote:
as a canuck fan, I'm not worried about this...
Did you not just make a notion that all the other teams fans are up in arms over cap issues? So are they, or not? Are Canucks fans excluded from that worry or can Kings fans be as well?



Quote:
our organization can easily go over the cap, considering the amount of profits they've made in this market... but if the NHL's goal is to have a level playing field for all teams, then this is clearly a move which goes against that, where it introduces payment to players outside the scope of cap restrictions... so small market teams have a right to be concerned about such moves... and GMs of those teams, that don't have the extra salary leverage that larger market teams have, have a right to be upset, thinking they are now managing on a level playing field, while some big market teams are looking at loopholes to uneven that financial playing field.

If it becomes a problem for all the NHL teams, then have the NHL make ammends to the CBA or the next one.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:01 PM
  #30
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Did you not just make a notion that all the other teams fans are up in arms over cap issues? So are they, or not? Are Canucks fans excluded from that worry or can Kings fans be as well?
did I?? I said that according to McKenzie, GMs around the league are concerned and aren't happy with Lombardi's move... when did I suggest that all the league's fans are up in arms?? or is that an exaggeration to make a point?

I'm sure that fans around the league - especially of small market teams - would be concerned over how this affects their team... personally, we're not a small market team, so my concern is how it affects the business of hockey.

But to say that I, or any other fan for htat matter, is "up in arms over cap issues" is an exaggeration which I didn't intend to use.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:12 PM
  #31
Matt13
Registered User
 
Matt13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: I'm on a boat MF!
Country: United States
Posts: 4,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
did I?? I said that according to McKenzie, GMs around the league are concerned and aren't happy with Lombardi's move... when did I suggest that all the league's fans are up in arms?? or is that an exaggeration to make a point?

This is my first quote of you, and my respose. It is clearly about the fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I agree with Osprey here... if this was happened to another team, I'm sure many Kings fans wouldn't be as thrilled about this as they are....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Not because we lost out on the player, but because we would say "why didnt DL think of that?"

Then you quote the above and say

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
yea... cause that's what the rest of the teams in the league are saying right now, right??
It doesnt say the "Teams GM's", we are talking prior about the fans and only the fans so one has to assume "teams" is in regards to fans.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
  #32
Willard
Kings All The Way
 
Willard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Just Off Highway 1
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Sometimes I wonder whether Bob McKenzie exaggerates.

Apparently he is aware that many hockey fans take his comments as gospel truth, whether or not he provides any evidence, so he skips showing his evidence from time to time.

Exactly which GMs have a serious problem with all this?

Show me any NHL GM who has become Lombardi's sworn enemy over this rather minor affair and I will show you an idiot.

Mountain out of a molehill, I say. If the NHL doesn't like it, let 'em take notes from Piskula's contract so that they know what they want to change or clarify in the next CBA.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
  #33
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
uhh?? It was Bobby Clarke that signed Kesler to the offer sheet (in Philly! Burke is the GM in Anahiem).

And he was fired soon after, so don't know if it really did affect how other GMs reacted.
LOL, oops. Yeah, I meant Bobby Clarke (that's what happens when I post way too late at night). I knew it was one of those GMs that ended in -rke. Sorry, and thanks for the correction.

Quote:
I agree with Osprey here... if this was happened to another team, I'm sure many Kings fans wouldn't be as thrilled about this as they are.... McKenzie is usually a very good source as well, so if he's suggesting that the rest of the league's GM aren't happy with Lombardi, chances are that he's reported the truth here.
I trust McKenzie very much so, but I do think there's a difference between being mad at a GM and being mad at a GM's moves. I'm guessing that the GMs are mad because they missed out on an opportunity to sign a highly sought player because a GM found a loophole to entice the player over. However, I doubt GMs are mad at Lombardi for screwing them, the price of players, or the cap structure. This is hardly a move to cause mistrust and prevent GMs from wanting to deal with Lombardi.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:17 PM
  #34
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Sometimes I wonder whether Bob McKenzie exaggerates.

[snip]

Show me any NHL GM who has become Lombardi's sworn enemy over this rather minor affair and I will show you an idiot.
I hate to do it, but, if you haven't noticed, you're the one who's exaggerating here . McKenzie didn't say that Lombardi is the sworn enemy of many GMs; you did. What he said is that Lombardi has ruffled some feathers and many GMs are "fuming" and "angry" with him. That's not hard to believe, IMO, especially considering the personalities (to put it mildly in some cases) that some of them have.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:23 PM
  #35
treize_kushrenada
Registered User
 
treize_kushrenada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
I like that "if you aint cheatin, you aint tryin" comment.

treize_kushrenada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 05:26 PM
  #36
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
This is hardly a move to cause mistrust and prevent GMs from wanting to deal with Lombardi.
I agree, but I think that some of you are distorting what I initially said. I said that if a future deal comes down to the Kings and one other team and the two offers are roughly equal, a GM may choose to deal with the GM who has not ruffled his feathers recently. That's quite logical, is it not? Is there a high probability of it happening? No, I admit, but it's still a possibility.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:55 PM
  #37
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I agree, but I think that some of you are distorting what I initially said. I said that if a future deal comes down to the Kings and one other team and the two offers are roughly equal, a GM may choose to deal with the GM who has not ruffled his feathers recently. That's quite logical, is it not? Is there a high probability of it happening? No, I admit, but it's still a possibility.
Fair enough. Sure, if there are two roughly equal deals, then a GM may go for the other deal.

But usually, when there are deals in place, the pieces are there because the GM WANTS that particular player. What it seems more likely to do is for a GM to play hard ball and have a higher price for a particular trade. Who knows? Either way, it mostly sounded like you were panicking unnecessarily in your initial response, but you clarified your point.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
  #38
Sniper7
Registered User
 
Sniper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Canada, Ca.
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Other GM's are just sorry they didn't think of it first.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:16 PM
  #39
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Either way, it mostly sounded like you were panicking unnecessarily in your initial response, but you clarified your point.
If you're under the impression that I would panic (especially over anything regarding the Kings), you don't know me well enough at all

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:20 PM
  #40
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
$75,000 = larger-market teams with cash to throw around will have a big advantage in the college free-agent sweepstakes???

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 08:11 PM
  #41
Playa Hamm*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
This is beautiful. Deano just went up another couple notches. This is exactly how you have to be: shrewd, cunning and show no mercy. Other GMs know how it works. They may get upset at other GMs but its not personal. It isn't like an online message board. They will get mad for a few days and then its back to business.

Playa Hamm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:02 PM
  #42
Wayne Rutledge
Registered User
 
Wayne Rutledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hamm View Post
This is beautiful. Deano just went up another couple notches. This is exactly how you have to be: shrewd, cunning and show no mercy. Other GMs know how it works. They may get upset at other GMs but its not personal. It isn't like an online message board. They will get mad for a few days and then its back to business.
Couldn't of said it better. As much as I liked DT, he never would of been this cunning. LL of Jersey built a dynasty (debatable) being that way. I think all Kings fans young & old will eventually see Deano as the best GM the Kings ever had in a year or two, it's in the brewing process right now. This is absolute fun watching Deano putting the pieces together. WOW I just saw JMFJ pre-game skating around on Kings Live! Thank you Deano !!!

Wayne Rutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 06:16 PM
  #43
SLang
Registered User
 
SLang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Money doesn't breed loyalty, though. It just gets the job done.
So, let's let Lombardi "get the job done". Isn't that why he's here?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:04 PM
  #44
Skebo
Registered User
 
Skebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pissin' in the Pond
Country: United States
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
And let's all recall that this salary cap is a pretty new animal for the NHL and it's GMs. This surely isn't the last loophole that will be worked by the GMs before the current CBA expires.

Skebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.