HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes Top 20 prospects

Old
03-28-2007, 09:15 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Hurricanes Top 20 prospects

The Hurricanes system underwent a tremendous number of changes this season, losing a number of top prospects to graduation.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
kingmoore

Thanks for the article. 5 of our top 15 prospects are goalies. I say we trade them all. Okay that probably isn't realistic.

When are Hughes and Borer expected to make an NHL roster?

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:24 AM
devilman

Daniel Manzato had a poor defense in front of him. They were 2nd last this season. He basically saved Basel from relegation as he had 2 shutouts in that best of 7 series.

He played for the Swiss National Team and did VERY well. Actually he's in training camp for the upcoming World Champs in Moskwa.

devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:37 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Hughes sure has progressed alot. I'm pretty sure he was a 7.0 C before.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:28 PM
bleedgreen

overall a great job. i think that we, like everyone else here, tend to be generous at our projections at times. i dont know about guys like carson being top four dmen, or all the others listed that way. i think we'll be lucky to get borer to that level. hughes as a top line center also so seems tobe a bit of a stretch, id be happy if he made to third line role. we've been lucky with fourth rounders in the past, though. still a great list.

whatever happened to risto korhonen? kid sounded like a laymans ulf samuelson. has he really dropped off the map or are the canes doing their, "euro's........what euros?"..thing?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoore View Post
Thanks for the article. 5 of our top 15 prospects are goalies. I say we trade them all. Okay that probably isn't realistic.

When are Hughes and Borer expected to make an NHL roster?
id be surprised if we see borer next year, we have so many d there really is no rush unless he flat out beats guys to a spot. he really needs a little seasoning at least offensively to round out his game. he is likely strong and mobile enough to play soon, but in todays game and lavis system i would think he needs to smooth out the rough edges with the puck.

i dont know about hughes, i think our 3/4 line center spots are wide open and some young fresh legs wouldnt go amiss at all - but making a jump to pro seems a bit overboard. i dont know if he's old enough to go to the ahl so it may be the nhl or junior.

Old
03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho87 View Post
Hughes sure has progressed alot. I'm pretty sure he was a 7.0 C before.
He was, I picked him up in a fantasy keeper league as an undrafted free agent a couple months ago and he was rated 7.0C

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i think that we, like everyone else here, tend to be generous at our projections at times. i dont know about guys like carson being top four dmen, or all the others listed that way. i think we'll be lucky to get borer to that level. hughes as a top line center also so seems tobe a bit of a stretch, id be happy if he made to third line role. we've been lucky with fourth rounders in the past, though.
I would have to agree that some of these projections are pretty generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 20 List
In 2006-07, Carson spent three games with the Everblades where he had a goal and an assist, but the rest of the season he’s been in the AHL. Carson has appeared in 51 games for the River Rats, scoring two goals (one on the power play), and adding 15 assists. His plus/minus is +5 on a team that is currently -12 overall, and his strong puck-moving ability and physical play have made him a standout for the Rats.
While Brett's overall play has improved, I think it's quite a stretch to say that he stands out with his physical play. If anything that's one of his biggest deficiencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 20 List
After a strong OHL career with the Toronto St. Michael’s Majors, and then the Hurricanes’ Plymouth Whalers, Peters has played fairly well as a pro rookie.
I guess that depends entirely on how you define "fairly well". Based on what I've seen I think he's gotten progressively worse, and lately he has mostly been pretty awful.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 07:13 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

After his recent exploits, Hughes likely won't be back with Kingston next season. Could he play in the ECHL or do they have an age-limit like the AHL?

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
kingmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoe2k5 View Post
After his recent exploits,

what does this mean?

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoore View Post
what does this mean?
http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepa...ws%20-%20Local

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 04:19 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
After his recent exploits, Hughes likely won't be back with Kingston next season. Could he play in the ECHL or do they have an age-limit like the AHL?
I haven't heard of anything like that.. But, no, the ECHL doesn't have an age limit. On my local ECHL team this year, we had a pair of players who started off the season at the age of 19.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 05:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
I haven't heard of anything like that.. But, no, the ECHL doesn't have an age limit. On my local ECHL team this year, we had a pair of players who started off the season at the age of 19.
Andrew Ladd also started off last season at age 19, in the AHL. I'm not sure what the rule on the date of birth is in reguards to AHL eligability. Might be something to do with having a birthday in the same year as the start of the season considering Ladd's a December birthday. If I can find that anywhere in the CBA I'll post it, but I'm not sure what it is other then one of these rediculously ambiguous rules that pretymuch NOBODY knows one way or the other.

But to answer an earlier question, if the rule is how I interperet it, seing as how Ladd was 19 and playing in the AHL I would assume that Hughes is eligable for the same reason. In fact Hughes birthday is earlier then Ladd's in terms of what month it is. Might be the best thing for him to start next season in the AHL.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Andrew Ladd also started off last season at age 19, in the AHL. I'm not sure what the rule on the date of birth is in reguards to AHL eligability. Might be something to do with having a birthday in the same year as the start of the season considering Ladd's a December birthday. If I can find that anywhere in the CBA I'll post it, but I'm not sure what it is other then one of these rediculously ambiguous rules that pretymuch NOBODY knows one way or the other.
A player coming from the CHL must be 20 by Jan. 1 of the season, OR they must have played 4 full seasons in the CHL.

It's not in the CBA though, it's in a private agreement between the NHL and the CHL regarding taking players out of junior. That's why few people know about it.

It does not apply to Europeans or former college players, only CHL players.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
A player coming from the CHL must be 20 by Jan. 1 of the season, OR they must have played 4 full seasons in the CHL.

It's not in the CBA though, it's in a private agreement between the NHL and the CHL regarding taking players out of junior. That's why few people know about it.

It does not apply to Europeans or former college players, only CHL players.
Bobby Hughes has played 4 years in the CHL and will turn 20 by January 1st, 2008. Thanks for the information, Holly. Bobby is eligible. I see it as all but a formality he will make the jump considering how things have ended with Kingston.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Bobby Hughes has played 4 years in the CHL and will turn 20 by January 1st, 2008. Thanks for the information, Holly. Bobby is eligible. I see it as all but a formality he will make the jump considering how things have ended with Kingston.
Agreed, no way in hell Bobby plays for Kingston next year, and I doubt the odds are much better that he ends up being traded from one CHL team to another.

Old
04-02-2007, 03:18 PM
HajdukSplit

Kunes isn't on the top 20, he is not putting up good numbers in the NCAA. Expected more from him.

What can you guys tell me about Vojta, you expect him to be in the NHL?

HajdukSplit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:21 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
Kunes isn't on the top 20, he is not putting up good numbers in the NCAA. Expected more from him.

What can you guys tell me about Vojta, you expect him to be in the NHL?
From what I've seen he has good skating ability and a bit of a mean streak to him (mostly WJC viewing). I'm not sure if he'll make it or not but I see him being a bit like Danny Richmond was for us with more of a nasty streak. Potential to be a good two-way defenseman if he puts his mind to it, but not the size to be a dominant one by any meens.

Old
04-02-2007, 04:05 PM
bleedgreen

id be happy to see hughes in the ahl - is harrison old enough....im too lazy to check. it would be nice to see these guys get some call ups during injuries. it would be nice to just call up our own future players instead of pure minor leaguers or carrying extra vets.

Old
04-02-2007, 04:14 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
id be happy to see hughes in the ahl - is harrison old enough....im too lazy to check. it would be nice to see these guys get some call ups during injuries. it would be nice to just call up our own future players instead of pure minor leaguers or carrying extra vets.
Reed is too young to play in the AHL next season.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

New member, so pardon the late response here.

I've seen Chaput play a few times (living in Lewiston, ME) this year, and the assessment from the article seems pretty close to me. He is definitely high energy, a nice skater, and has a nice habit of being in the right spot on PK. While I don't know if he'll develop into any kind of NHL-level scoring threat, he could be a solid 3/4 liner, penalty killer, energy player. (And doesn't seem to mind the physical contact either.)

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 10:30 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
New member, so pardon the late response here.

I've seen Chaput play a few times (living in Lewiston, ME) this year, and the assessment from the article seems pretty close to me. He is definitely high energy, a nice skater, and has a nice habit of being in the right spot on PK. While I don't know if he'll develop into any kind of NHL-level scoring threat, he could be a solid 3/4 liner, penalty killer, energy player. (And doesn't seem to mind the physical contact either.)
Good to hear, sounds like another Chad LaRose. Hopefully, Chaput has a little bit better luck at putting the puck in the net. Did you have an opportunity to watch Nicolas Blanchard any?

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Good to hear, sounds like another Chad LaRose. Hopefully, Chaput has a little bit better luck at putting the puck in the net. Did you have an opportunity to watch Nicolas Blanchard any?
'Fraid not. Didn't get out to any games against Chicoutimi.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote