HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

03/29 - Kings vs Canucks @ Staples Center - JMFJ Debut

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Matt13

vCash: 500
This is a crowning moment in my life.

I have sat back quietly letting Reap take all the glory but its nice to finally get a little glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Actually, he didn't. Matt13 did. And I challenge you to disprove me.

Refer to my post in this thread -

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=359136

I can guarantee I didnt read it on LGK!

Old
03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't care who started it. It could've been Gandhi. I only remember saying it with wabwat in an IM right after it happened.

it was the first thing that either one of us were able to muster to each other as soon as the trade went down.

it isn't that big of a deal... it's fun, and his dad already has a homebrew JMFJ t-shirt which can be seen in one of the youtube videos of Jack.

"Kill, Jack, kill!" is likely going to be the chanted slogan at Staples... at least for tonight anyway.

Old
03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
homebrew JMFJ t-shirt which can be seen in one of the youtube videos of Jack.

I havent seen the picture of the shirt do you or anybody have one?

Old
03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
I havent seen the picture of the shirt do you or anybody have one?

i don't have one of the LGK t-shirts, but the one that was made for Jack's dad looks much simpler and is on one of the youtube features on Jack... towards the end, there is a clip of his dad dancing and he's wearing the shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rod56O2wLFw

Old
03-29-2007, 01:16 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
Since I appear to be back and able to post.... I'm gonna jump right in and say something that will not be popular among the masses here:

This whole Jack Mother ********* Johnson thing is sofa king stupid... and, it's obvious that it will be taken farther than just on hockey BBSes (hell, they are now selling t-shirts over at Brand X...) and you KNOW that some drunken morons are going to start chanting it in the arena, and for my money, it's inappropriate on many levels. I'm already mortified at the people who bring their pre-teen children and think it's a jolly good time to scream "Such and such team/city SUCKS" when egged on by Dieter Ruhle at the Staples organ... now, will we really have to endure people screaming F-bombs?

I could be overreacting to a situation that hasn't happened yet, but I will not engage in calling this guy much more than Jack Johnson, because honestly... that's his name, and unless I have permission to start calling Willsie "BPOSW" or Modry "JFCJM" --- I think we've taken cute one step too far.

I'm back
For me it's old news but who really cares? JMFJ's dad doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Were you like this at the forum when the ref's made a bad call and everyone started yelling in unison "bull *****!" ? I can see you running around plugging kids ears in the building so they wouldn't have to hear it. It's hockey for crying out loud.

Old
03-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

My 2 cents, if that.
I said the exact thing under my breath after I received a voice mail from a friend and I'm sure a good portion of Kings fans reacted the same way - in disbelief that we got a player of that caliber.
So, in this case I'd argue that the inventor of the nickname is the one that recognized it as a good nickname and perpetuated it's use (I have no idea who this would be). Now, if Matt had said something more obscure, with very little chance of someone else saying the same thing, say "Jack Whale Watching Johnson!" then he would undoubtedly be the creator of the nickname.

Old
03-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
Now, if Matt had said something more obscure, with very little chance of someone else saying the same thing, say "Jack Whale Watching Johnson!" then he would undoubtedly be the creator of the nickname.

Thanks for taking away my glory.

In reality, I dont know if I was the first or not, it makes no difference. I am just glad I didnt come up with Kopitarians.

Old
03-29-2007, 01:59 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Thanks for taking away my glory.
Not at all. I was just speaking in a general sense when it comes to nicknames, and it's just my opinion. If no one came out and said "hey, that's a great nickname, let's call him that" then you win by default.

Either way, I think it's great that it came from this site and has progressed to a point where even the players dad is propagating it. I don't think it should be yelled out at games or in any other way used inappropriately but it's really no different than bleeping out words on TV or using #$!@#% to express something we all already know. The only trouble is that it's hard to express phonetically, but than again so is Prince's name. That's why I got a tattoo.

Old
03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Stuff

Quote:
"Jack Whale Watching Johnson!"
I like it.

JWWJ.

Old
03-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I am only pointing it out because I want to give credit where credit's due....that and the fact that LGK people seem to claim everything as their own over there (i.e. the t-shirt thing).

Old
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

Quote:
I am only pointing it out because I want to give credit where credit's due....that and the fact that LGK people seem to claim everything as their own over there (i.e. the t-shirt thing).
Yeah, is that legal? I mean aren't they making money off it?

Old
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post
For me it's old news but who really cares? JMFJ's dad doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Were you like this at the forum when the ref's made a bad call and everyone started yelling in unison "bull *****!" ? I can see you running around plugging kids ears in the building so they wouldn't have to hear it. It's hockey for crying out loud.

You're never gonna change, so do me a favor and just put me on ignore... Your ignore-ance is welcome. Promise.

Old
03-29-2007, 02:24 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, is that legal? I mean aren't they making money off it?

let it go

Old
03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
no name

Quote:
Since I appear to be back and able to post.... I'm gonna jump right in and say something that will not be popular among the masses here:

This whole Jack Mother ********* Johnson thing is sofa king stupid... and, it's obvious that it will be taken farther than just on hockey BBSes (hell, they are now selling t-shirts over at Brand X...) and you KNOW that some drunken morons are going to start chanting it in the arena, and for my money, it's inappropriate on many levels. I'm already mortified at the people who bring their pre-teen children and think it's a jolly good time to scream "Such and such team/city SUCKS" when egged on by Dieter Ruhle at the Staples organ... now, will we really have to endure people screaming F-bombs?

I could be overreacting to a situation that hasn't happened yet, but I will not engage in calling this guy much more than Jack Johnson, because honestly... that's his name, and unless I have permission to start calling Willsie "BPOSW" or Modry "JFCJM" --- I think we've taken cute one step too far.

I'm back

I dont mind the curse words but when you see his father wearing a shirt, it's kind of creepy. I have never been on that bandwagon.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
let it go

LOL....yeah, there may be feds on the board. Or people from the USPTO.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Here here Tubby. Bash if you want people but some of my fondest memories was goging to the forum with my dad and watchhing the Triple Crown line. I took my son to 1 game and will not take him back. People have a right to say what they want but I have a right to not have my 8 year old listening to drunks act like they are cool. I would rather watch from home with him and listen to Bob Miller.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:11 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfur View Post

Standing in unison and listening to BS chants is one thing, having to explain to m son what f u roenick means 17 times during a game is another. There is cheering and passion, then theres outright rudeness...

... and there is a huge difference between BS and MF!

Old
03-29-2007, 03:12 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Here here Tubby. Bash if you want people but some of my fondest memories was goging to the forum with my dad and watchhing the Triple Crown line. I took my son to 1 game and will not take him back. People have a right to say what they want but I have a right to not have my 8 year old listening to drunks act like they are cool. I would rather watch from home with him and listen to Bob Miller.
Exactly my point, but I guess that makes me igonor-ant.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:15 PM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
Standing in unison and listening to BS chants is one thing, having to explain to m son what f u roenick means 17 times during a game is another. There is cheering and passion, then theres outright rudeness...

... and there is a huge difference between BS and MF!
I realise that. That's why you have a choice of whether or not to take your pre-teenage kid there. I was just trying to point out that if Tubby has a problem with people chanting "(fill in the blank with a teams name) SUCKS", then I'm sure he has as big of a problem with people chanting "BS" during a game.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Jebus
That boulder?

I don't see it being a problem. No one yelled "Great One, Great One!" when Gretzky was on the ice. It's a nickname not a chant. Kill Jack Kill would be great though. But I could be wrong, and we shall see in t-minus 6 hours.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I guaran-damn-tee than there will be a Kill, Jack, Kill chant.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:36 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I guaran-damn-tee than there will be a Kill, Jack, Kill chant.
As long as my son does not have a kid name Jack in his class we should be OK!

Old
03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Dawdler

Just a reminder for those who can only watch online it will be on sopcast nhl4.

http://www.myp2p.eu/NHL.htm

Mashiasu

Old
03-29-2007, 03:51 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
I assume most of us on this board are mature enough to exclude themselves from chants that not appropriate for children. I don't mind reading "JMFJ" because there are far worse things on the interenet for children to see. "Kill Jack Kill" doesn't sound too family friendly, but there could be far worse things said.

On a similar note and probably showing a little of my immaturity... a couple of weeks ago I had front row seats to the Devils/Penguins game and had the two kids sitting next to me calling Crosby a "girl." I need to grow up, but Sid was crying to the ref on multiple occasions.

Go Kings! Looking forward to tonight's game for a change.

Old
03-29-2007, 03:57 PM
FuTMaR*

f u roenick.

Closed Thread