HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's untouchable on this team... Especially if we miss playoffs?

Old
03-30-2007, 08:53 AM
snakepliskin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
still no skillful or creative forwards, thats my main contention... As much as we hate shootouts, its keeping us out of the playoffs and we need 2 players that can get good shots in shootouts or breakaways or odd man rushes...
bring back cullen?

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
So we should trade Staal for someone who can score in a SO? Are you kidding me?

The guys we have now (Williams, Brindy, Staal and Cole especially) all have the capability to be great in the SO.

Lets worried about bulking up on D and picking up a top 4 dman to keep us from having to go to the SO to begin with before we worry about picking up someone who makes pretty passes and fancy goals.

I suppose your one of those that wants to bring back Jesse Boulerice too, because he is just so cool.
god you just don't read or interpret well... I just mentioned the shootout as one need area... We don't have any players that really have the potential to be good in the shootout... The lone pick of Brindy possibly having potential to be great in shootouts makes me question your hockey knowledge... Look at all the players mentioned penalty shots and shootout numbers and you will see that you are wrong... And like i said winning just 35% of our shootouts puts us in the playoffs this year.

We need a top 2 d-man too, not a top 4, we have WAY too many 3-4, 5-6 type d-men and NO top quality ones..

Don't think about discounting my hockey knowledge or passion either... I grew up playing and watching hockey in upstate NY and have been around the game and enjoyed it for nearly 30 years. So your Jesse comment can go right back at you

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:27 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
god you just don't read or interpret well... I just mentioned the shootout as one need area... We don't have any players that really have the potential to be good in the shootout... The lone pick of Brindy possibly having potential to be great in shootouts makes me question your hockey knowledge... Look at all the players mentioned penalty shots and shootout numbers and you will see that you are wrong... We need a top 2 d-man too, not a top 4, we have WAY too many 3-4, 5-6 type d-men and NO top quality ones..
Woah cowboy, you need to take a moment to calm down.

This year, the Hurricanes had FIVE games that went to a SO.

Yes, each of those games we lost.

This years SO stats:

Brind'Amour - 2 shots, 1 goal
Whitney - 5 shots, 0 goals
Staal - 3 shots, 0 goals
Williams - 4 shots, 0 goals
Walker - 2 shots, 0 goals
Cole - 2 shots, 0 goals

Based on thost pitifull stats, Brindy IS the best at the SO this year.

Last years SO stats:
Weight - 1 shot, 1 goal
Whitney - 4 goals , 5 shots
Cullen - 6 goals, 9 shots
Vrbata - 1 goal, 2 shots
Williams - 1 goal, 2 shots
Cole - 1 goal, 3 shots
Stillman - 1 goal, 3 shots
Brind'Amour - 1 goal, 4 shots
Staal - 1 goal, 4 shots
Recchi - 0 goals, 1 shot

Last season we went to 10 shoot outs and we no longer have Weight, Cullen, Vrbata.

If your so obsessed with winning 5 of our SO games, why don't you focus in on our goaltender Cam Ward who had 5 saves on 11 shots this year in the SO?

There is no reason that we need to get rid of Cole or Staal in favor of someone to make fancy fake leg kicks in order to score in the SO. The talent is there - make them practice and learn. No need to trade the future of the team away for some flashy guy we may only need 5 times a year.

03-30-2007, 10:14 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Shootouts aside, they should still be 10 points higher than they are now.

Blame what you want, but shootouts are not the reason they aren't in the playoffs.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
WoodGundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Shootouts aside, they should still be 10 points higher than they are now.

Blame what you want, but shootouts are not the reason they aren't in the playoffs.
It's always tough to play woulda, shoulda, coulda because every team leaves points on the table throughout the year. See Leafs v Sabres last week.

It does feel like we left more than our share though. It seems like every time we had a team at home on the second half of two in two nights we lost and the Flyers ran it up on us twice. Mixing in more than one point against the Pacific would have helped. We could do this for awhile...

WoodGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Shootouts is not the reason we are missing the playoffs, I agree 100%, but if we were even a competent team during shoot outs, we would be in the playoffs depsite all the other under achieving this team has done.

Old
03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
bleedgreen

i do think shootouts is the reason we are currently missing the playoffs - why are we in a position that we need shootouts to get into the playoffs? now thats the big question. there is no doubt though that if we had matched the success of last years shootouts we would be right there. we do miss cullen, but we cant argue his loss - he got overpaid to leave.

trading staal would never be the answer unless we got someone of at least his caliber back. i dont think trading cole is the answer either. we are fine almost as is. we dont lack a lot of pieces, we just need the pieces we have to be firing all cylinders at the same time for the majority of a season + playoffs. like last year. we dont need more wingers, we just need stillman and cole to be healthy and productive all year. we dont need more d, we have too many. we could use one of the younger d guys to step up and take a job, and jr has to allow that to happen instead of relying on the old guard all the time. babs never shouldve gotten yanked. we do lack the third line scoring depth we had last year - but solving that isnt easy. we got lucky on cullen. coming into the new cap no one wanted to pay him, stillman, or whitney money because they didnt realize how effective those guys could be in the new nhl. now its a lot harder to find those nuggets - everyone is looking for them.

i think we had no choice but to accept an off year. too many obstacles to overcome - we just needed to regroup, not panick, and not give away our future just to get through a season that looked fairly bleak to start with. oooops, i guess we kinda messed that part up, but at least we didnt trade ladd as well (though im pretty sure the deal jr had on the table near the deadline had him in it). this team imo is biting off more than they can chew posturing themselves managerially and internally as contenders. not that you can plan to be chumps, but sometimes you have to accept your limitations and go with what youve got. of cousre if they got into the playoffs they would have a chance - but there were a ton of signs along the way that suggested that this wasnt our year. you cant change that with a trade or two - this team never had it in them to win big games.

all that is really needed to remedy that is the true rest they didnt get last summer and maybe add one or two middle tier players just to get fresh blood in. nothing drastic. if they can sign someone who fits into the scheme...fine. im not convinced we should overpay walker or whitney to stay. they are both older players. and we didnt make it with them so despite their good season we shouldnt assume we need to hit the cap to keep them. they arent part of the long term future core of this team. they need more quality youth from the inside, they just never seem to acknowledge that.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:27 AM
canesfan24

Just my 2 cents...

Very early in the season, I was over @ the LGC site expounding on my point that we did not have any real finishers on this team. Ray Whitney being the closest thing to a true sniper/finisher.

I was beaten within an inch of my internet life for daring to state that openly. Matt Cullen may not have been the answer and shootouts might not have saved the season, however 1 for 11 on shootout attempts and Penalty shots speaks volumes about the teams finishing around the net.

canesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 09:55 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Tripp Tracy. His insight and commentating are invaluable to this franchise. Not to mention his awesome new haircut.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 09:57 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan24 View Post
Just my 2 cents...

Very early in the season, I was over @ the LGC site expounding on my point that we did not have any real finishers on this team. Ray Whitney being the closest thing to a true sniper/finisher.

I was beaten within an inch of my internet life for daring to state that openly. Matt Cullen may not have been the answer and shootouts might not have saved the season, however 1 for 11 on shootout attempts and Penalty shots speaks volumes about the teams finishing around the net.
Yeah, we really need a scoring, shoot first type of winger. We have too many guys always trying to be playmakers instead. But I don't really know what the team will do in the offseason or what players will be available as of now.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 11:56 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
Yeah, we really need a scoring, shoot first type of winger. We have too many guys always trying to be playmakers instead. But I don't really know what the team will do in the offseason or what players will be available as of now.
Yeah, not wasting JJ on that trade would give us some leverage to get that type of skill player...

Old
03-31-2007, 12:25 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
Let's sign Sergei Samsonov!

He's creative, right?
Gimme a puck and hes yours.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
canesfan24

Quote:
Yeah, not wasting JJ on that trade would give us some leverage to get that type of skill player...
Hindsight is 20/20...

I was not in favor of the trade when we did it but, I am not sure we had any other choice at the time. We were trying to make a serious run and we had a lot of d-men down.

After the war of words in the paper and the constant rejection of contracts and not even wanting to show up to take in the SCFs, we have no idea if the kid would have even signed here... Heaven only knows.

Last edited by canesfan24: 04-01-2007 at 12:39 PM.
canesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
caniac247

The untouchables:

Rod Brind'Amour
Eric Staal
Cam Ward
Tim Gleason
Justin Williams
Chad LaRose
Craig Adams
Andrew Ladd

Could be touched, but probably won't be:
Erik Cole
Mike Commodore
Trevor Letowski
Frank Kaberle
Cory Stillman

All others are a go. For the ones that could be but probably won't be here's my reasoning: Cole - he's the spark of the team. As Tripp says he's the ignition switch for this team. Commodore - young d-man and will be needed with hedican and wesly retiring. Letowski - i think they'll keep him as a 4th line energy guy. He fits in nicely with Craig and Chad and those 2 need someone since Kevyn is gone. Kaberle - I just don't see them giving up on him now. If he doesn't produce next season, then he's good bait. Stillman - see Kaberle.

First priority is re-signing Whitney and Walker. Lucky for us JR understands how important these 2 are to the team and has them locked down as his priority.

After these 2 are signed we need to get a good 3rd line center. Someone like a Matt Cullen type player. Not sure who the available centers will be.

Now that i'm thinking about it, everyone I didn't post needs a new contract. So guess I don't see JR making a trade with our current players, just not re-signing certain guys (Vasichek; Carter; Tanabe; etc)

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:09 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

There's just no point in trading guys like Commodore, LaRose, Adams and Stillman. They're pretty cheap for what they bring.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Aucoin's having a great season in Albany... couldn't he be the answer for a third line scoring center, on the cheap...

KILLger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Untouchable List
G) Cam Ward
D) Tim Gleason, Mike Commodore
F) Rod Brind'Amour, Justin Williams, Eric Staal, Andrew Ladd
unless they just go into total rebuild these guys won't be going anywhere, and even then I really can't see it happening asside from Brind'Amour near the deadline some year.

Won't be traded
D) Anton Babchuk
F) Erik Cole
obviously for different reasons. Babchuk won't bring in a high return at this point and I doubt you'll find a team willing to overpay as much as JR would like for Cole.

that's about it, anyone and everyone else can likely be moved for the right offer.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:08 PM
caniacgirl12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
Aucoin's having a great season in Albany... couldn't he be the answer for a third line scoring center, on the cheap...
I would be the first person with an Aucoin jersey.

caniacgirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger View Post
I think Aucoin is a great player for a minor league club, but he is one of those players that simply can't make the jump for whatever reason and play productive hockey at the big level. Chad Larose would have comperable stats with a full year in Albany and we all know of his scoring woes in the NHL.

Speaking of Chad Larose, it's not totally out of the realm for the organization to have him penciled into the 3rd line role considering what he has shown. His level of energy is an asset no matter what line he is playing on.

However, I like Josef Vasicek in the 3rd line center role. I think he has the tools to make it work and paired with our forward depth, he can be a valuable player in that role. He spends the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone because he's a bull on the puck and his great on defense. I think Carolina hopes to develop him into a "shut down" type 3rd line center and have him focus on more of a defensive role. He did an admirable job when put in that position late this year and I think Carolina extends him an offer to hang around and learn his way into that position.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
CioCio

So in which positions are we likely to see changes next year? I imagine D in regards to Hedican and Wesley possibly being gone, but it sounds like most people are thinking our offense will stay about the same. Am I right?

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:22 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
I think that for the first time since the team has been here, signing a true #1 defenseman will be priority #1 after trying to get our guys signed before the UFA period begins. Sadly, this isn't exactly the year to go out and do that. My guess is that Phillips and Stuart will be in play, anyone else I wouldn't shell out the money.

Only other need I could see the team going after is an upgrade on the #3 center if they feel that Vasicek is better suited for the 4th line. But with how Hughes did last season in the OHL I could see them staying put and hoping to develop from within there.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
However, I like Josef Vasicek in the 3rd line center role. I think he has the tools to make it work and paired with our forward depth, he can be a valuable player in that role. He spends the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone because he's a bull on the puck and his great on defense. I think Carolina hopes to develop him into a "shut down" type 3rd line center and have him focus on more of a defensive role. He did an admirable job when put in that position late this year and I think Carolina extends him an offer to hang around and learn his way into that position.
Thanks to you guys (Carolina crew who came to Montreal) my son and I cannot watch Hurricane highlights without hearing either "Fly Condor Fly" or "Tanabe Sucks"

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
So in which positions are we likely to see changes next year? I imagine D in regards to Hedican and Wesley possibly being gone, but it sounds like most people are thinking our offense will stay about the same. Am I right?
To be honest, I think just about our whole team is going to stay the same unless we're not able to retain one of Ray Whitney or Scott Walker. I think it's wishful thinking to predict we're going to make a huge splash in free agency, because that just isn't how this team operates. We make under the radar signings that are boom or bust and our boom or bust signings this year busted out. John Grahame and Trevor Letowski failed to deliver what we had hoped and Brad Isbister was a total writeoff. David Tanabe faired very well and will likely be back.

The only scenario I could see playing out is that Carolina lets Josef Vasicek test the market and attempts to sign a third line center with hidden scoring ability to replace Matt Cullen's contribution. Otherwise, I think our core stays the same.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
caniacgirl12

After what we went through last season this UFA/RFA season really shouldn't be that bad, right? Or is there someone I am forgetting we need to re-sign besides Whitney and Walker?

And CF is right about Aucoin - he is a career AHLer and I don't mean that in a negative way. He would end up being another Chad Larose/Craig Adams for the team. Great guy but I don't think he could hold the 3rd line like we need.

Old
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
caniacgirl12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Thanks to you guys (Carolina crew who came to Montreal) my son and I cannot watch Hurricane highlights without hearing either "Fly Condor Fly" or "Tanabe Sucks"
Woah wait..... my "TANABE YOU SUCKs" are immortalized????