HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kyle B and Jeff D Cut froim Team Canada and Coey P

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 03:35 AM
John Christie

vCash:
Kyle B and Jeff D Cut froim Team Canada and Coey P

Announced as Kyle Brodziak and Jeff Deslauries have been cut this morning.

ALso Corey Perry was cut as well today.

Jeff should ahve made it by reports but the politics of 2 French Canadian goalies must have come up.

Corey Perry - interesting he got cut as reports said he didn;t show much the last few days

Old
12-16-2003, 04:48 AM
momentai

vCash: 500
Perry being cut is not too too surprising to me. Scored 2 points last night but wasn't really noticeable the rest of the night.

Deslauriers doesn't surprise me either. He was pretty shaky in goal and let out quite a few rebounds. Luckily he jumped on them all but I could see where that would be a concern for Team Canada against some of the higher skilled lineups.

But the one big disappointment has got to be Kyle Brodziak. IMO, he had a better two days than Tim Brent, Jeremy Colliton, Talbot, Dixon, and Brent Burns (but you can't turn away a guy with NHL experience). He was at least on par with guys like Jeff Carter and Mike Richards who were deeemed locks.

Disappointment to see politics and egos play into the decision of the selection of the roster. I said last night that Brodziak was a lock to make the team and my sentiments were echoed by those who saw the two games as well. But I guess good play can't overcome bias and politics. That's life for you.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:26 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Deslauriers doesn't surprise me either. He was pretty shaky in goal and let out quite a few rebounds. Luckily he jumped on them all but I could see where that would be a concern for Team Canada against some of the higher skilled lineups.
The fact that he jumped on all of them may have to do more with him controlling his rebounds properly as opposed to luck. As for it being a concern against more skilled teams, it certainly didn't hurt him agaisnt Canada when he was playing for the OUA team.

Quote:
But the one big disappointment has got to be Kyle Brodziak. IMO, he had a better two days than Tim Brent, Jeremy Colliton, Talbot, Dixon, and Brent Burns (but you can't turn away a guy with NHL experience). He was at least on par with guys like Jeff Carter and Mike Richards who were deeemed locks.
The biggest mistake I can remember Canada making in a long time. At worst, Brodziak would be a great 13th forward. He can play both ways, he can play on the pk or on the pp, he can play on the 1st or the 4th line... I simply don't understand how you cut someone that versitile, especially someone who is doing everything well.

Quote:
Disappointment to see politics and egos play into the decision of the selection of the roster. I said last night that Brodziak was a lock to make the team and my sentiments were echoed by those who saw the two games as well. But I guess good play can't overcome bias and politics. That's life for you.
This is terrifying... maybe they should make the big ol' commitee ala Salt Lake to pick these teams.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:32 AM
Whitenoise

I'm a bit surprised that Brodziak was cut. Everyone who had seen him, non-Oiler fans included, thought he was great and would make the team for sure. Oh well, good luck to the players that are going.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:32 AM
woody

You wonder why they even have a tryout camp as the team was pick already. Poor Jeff D has been the best goalie everyday and still gets cut. I bet that its hard to take for him.

I wonder if Brodziak was drafted higher if it would have made a difference?

Old
12-16-2003, 06:46 AM
copperandblue

I don't know if anyone can tell me but, how old is Deslauriers and how old are the remaining goalies in camp that are vying for the back up spot?

The reason I ask is if the remaining goalies are younger then does it make sense that with Fleury now playing, Canada is looking at a younger kid to carry just get the experience of the tournament?

If they see the chosen one as a likely starter next year then it may make sense.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:02 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
I wonder if Brodziak was drafted higher if it would have made a difference?
It would have made all the difference.

Can't have 7th rounders upstaging other team's 1st and 2nd rounders you know...wouldn't want the rabble hobnobbing with nobility.

No doubt we'll get the usual "We're trying to pick the best team, not just the best players" spin, since that philosophy has worked so well these past half dozen years. Oh wait...it hasn't?

I can *sort of* understand the cuts of JDD (tough competition) and Perry (funny how I think of him as Oiler property when the trade hasn't even happened yet), but Brodziak should be on that team...period.

In the grand scheme of things, it isn't a huge deal. It will make it a bit less interesting to watch the tournament with almost no Oiler prospects to take note of though. Too bad.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:05 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I don't know if anyone can tell me but, how old is Deslauriers and how old are the remaining goalies in camp that are vying for the back up spot?

The reason I ask is if the remaining goalies are younger then does it make sense that with Fleury now playing, Canada is looking at a younger kid to carry just get the experience of the tournament?

If they see the chosen one as a likely starter next year then it may make sense.
All the goaltenders trying out were 19.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:21 AM
USC Trojans
AD

wow, this is a disappointment. A lot of us were looking forward to watching Brodziak and Deslauriers play. Its a conspiracy I tell ya!

Old
12-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Freakey Styley

i'm not surprised at all that perry got cut and it's gotta be tough for white but it's understandable.

for the back up goalie, to me it was simply who would do the the best job if something happened to fleury and i felt that harding was a safer choice. correct me if i'm wrong but i've read that JDD doesn't have any international experience, he splits time in net, not sure if he ever played in a big pressure game or in the playoff. and i know harding won MVP in the WHL so.

for brodziak, stats don't mean much in things like these but he did play well. i guess he never really had a chance cause the guys that beat him, didn't do it in camp.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:46 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakey Styley
i'm not surprised at all that perry got cut and it's gotta be tough for white but it's understandable.

for the back up goalie, to me it was simply who would do the the best job if something happened to fleury and i felt that harding was a safer choice. correct me if i'm wrong but i've read that JDD doesn't have any international experience, he splits time in net, not sure if he ever played in a big pressure game or in the playoff. and i know harding won MVP in the WHL so.

for brodziak, stats don't mean much in things like these but he did play well. i guess he never really had a chance cause the guys that beat him, didn't do it in camp.
So then why even bother inviting Deslauriers in the first place?

Old
12-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
So then why even bother inviting Deslauriers in the first place?
I would have to say that when it comes to it, if JDD shines at camp he gets the back up job. I don't think it was predisposed and some posters that have seen the WJC camp, said that JDD did have one brutal day and was lucky to show good numbers.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:36 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I would have to say that when it comes to it, if JDD shines at camp he gets the back up job. I don't think it was predisposed and some posters that have seen the WJC camp, said that JDD did have one brutal day and was lucky to show good numbers.
I would tend to disagree. Although in the 2nd game, he did give up some bad rebounds. But overall it's hard to say that he played bad when he only allowed 1 goal in 44 shots.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I would tend to disagree. Although in the 2nd game, he did give up some bad rebounds. But overall it's hard to say that he played bad when he only allowed 1 goal in 44 shots.
I am going by another poster's report that he looked bad that game.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:09 AM
nineteen79

I know that team Canada lit up the OUA all stars but who do you guys see lighting the lamp when the real thing begins?.Brodziak should have made this team and maybe even Perry,he was the one of a very select few who looked to have great hands around the net.I really have to question if this team has the offence to win in Finland.Personally we look like the Philly Flyers but with better goaltending.I just hope they don't depend on Crosby as a 16 year old to carry them offensively,that could be fatal.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:34 AM
momentai

Quote:
The fact that he jumped on all of them may have to do more with him controlling his rebounds properly as opposed to luck. As for it being a concern against more skilled teams, it certainly didn't hurt him agaisnt Canada when he was playing for the OUA team.
It didn't really hurt yesterday because the OUA were definitely outclassed by the Canadian squad. They simply could not get past our tough defense and get in front of the net. That will not necessarily be the case with the more polished Junior teams such as the Russians.

I said last night that Harding/Deslauriers was a tossup. Deslauriers I feel has a bit more skill at the position (he's very good at moving laterally across the net) but Harding was just more technically sound. I understand their decision even if it makes Oiler fans a little upset.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I am going by another poster's report that he looked bad that game.
Not bad necessarily. Just a little "scrambly" I guess would be an appropriate word.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:03 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
It didn't really hurt yesterday because the OUA were definitely outclassed by the Canadian squad. They simply could not get past our tough defense and get in front of the net. That will not necessarily be the case with the more polished Junior teams such as the Russians.

I said last night that Harding/Deslauriers was a tossup. Deslauriers I feel has a bit more skill at the position (he's very good at moving laterally across the net) but Harding was just more technically sound. I understand their decision even if it makes Oiler fans a little upset.
It was also a game where he only got 7 shots in half a game... if that game is what they are basing it on, they must have missed the other 3 games.

Old
12-16-2003, 11:17 AM
momentai

Quote:
It was also a game where he only got 7 shots in half a game... if that game is what they are basing it on, they must have missed the other 3 games.
I realize. But it was something I noticed the other night as well while he was manning the nets in front of the OUA squad. Deslauriers made the first save a LOT of the time but the OUA defense were very good at clearing the rebounds for him that game. But he still made tons of difficult saves.

Meh. To me, the cutting of JDD wasn't a huge deal. Disappointment yes... But I was knew that he had a chance of being cut. It's fine if we disagree though.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Can't have 7th rounders upstaging other team's 1st and 2nd rounders you know
Good call.

For me this is more surprising than the fact that Comrie finally got dealt. Maybe in the long run this will be an inspiration for Kyle, but it's still not right for someone to be forced to do the kit-bag-drag when they don't deserve it.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Freakey Styley

in a interview this morning with rds, durochers said that harding did have an advantage because of his international experience and from what the reporter said (stephane leroux) it seems like harding had the job all along and just played well enough to keep it.

Closed Thread