HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Coaches (not teams specifically) that are killing hockey

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2003, 05:27 AM
  #1
TexSen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Coaches (not teams specifically) that are killing hockey

I'm of the mindset as one poster on the "Teams that are killing hockey" thread that it is coaches that are trying to get by (read: save their jobs) with lesser talent etc. that are responsible for the advent and perpetuation of a defense first mentality.

I also think the coaches have adjusted along with the players to the amount of clutching and grabbing (totally separate from trapping) that has been allowed to creep into the game with tacit league blessing, thus slowing down the flow of the game etc.

With that in mind, which coaches started the trend, who has perfected it and who is perpetuating it?

Your thoughts?

TexSen is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 08:12 AM
  #2
NyCoN
Instant Contender
 
NyCoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Country: United States
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
I'm of the mindset as one poster on the "Teams that are killing hockey" thread that it is coaches that are trying to get by (read: save their jobs) with lesser talent etc. that are responsible for the advent and perpetuation of a defense first mentality....."

If you think that Jacque Lemaire is running a defensive style trap to what you call "....trying to get by (read: save their jobs)..." you are way out of line. I think if you ask most Wild fans if they want Lemaire as our coach, most will say yes reguardless if he uses the trap or not.

NyCoN is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 08:59 AM
  #3
TexSen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
If you think that Jacque Lemaire is running a defensive style trap to what you call "....trying to get by (read: save their jobs)..." you are way out of line. I think if you ask most Wild fans if they want Lemaire as our coach, most will say yes reguardless if he uses the trap or not.
I was trying to stay out of this by saying that the slowing down of play by clutching and grabbing is what is killing the game, not the trap. You'll see that I specifically say that clutching and grabbing style teams are different from trapping teams.

However, I'll address your point. Every coach in their coaching style formative years will base their style on many things. A lot of how a coach will address the style of play a particular team ice includes what pieces of the puzzle are available to him.

Now, we all know what gives a coach the best chance to succeed (read keep a job, get hired for a head coaching gig etc.) at the professional level.......it's wins.

So, a coach will do what it takes to win, and by virtue of winning will likely increase their chance of keeping their job.

Which brings us to Lemaire. Lemaire has utilized the trap as part of his overall coaching philosophy to bring success to Minnesota in a very short period of time, thereby increasing his stock with the organization.

So, by virtue of the NHL being a league that for the past short period of time has seen defensive teams reaping success (NJ Devils 3 last cups), why is it "out of line" to say that playing a defensive style maximizes the chance of winning thereby enhancing the coaches' survival?

How do you think the Senators managed to get to where they were in the course of their development?

TexSen is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
  #4
NyCoN
Instant Contender
 
NyCoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes
Country: United States
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSen
I was trying to stay out of this by saying that the slowing down of play by clutching and grabbing is what is killing the game, not the trap. You'll see that I specifically say that clutching and grabbing style teams are different from trapping teams.

However, I'll address your point. Every coach in their coaching style formative years will base their style on many things. A lot of how a coach will address the style of play a particular team ice includes what pieces of the puzzle are available to him.

Now, we all know what gives a coach the best chance to succeed (read keep a job, get hired for a head coaching gig etc.) at the professional level.......it's wins.

So, a coach will do what it takes to win, and by virtue of winning will likely increase their chance of keeping their job.

Which brings us to Lemaire. Lemaire has utilized the trap as part of his overall coaching philosophy to bring success to Minnesota in a very short period of time, thereby increasing his stock with the organization.

So, by virtue of the NHL being a league that for the past short period of time has seen defensive teams reaping success (NJ Devils 3 last cups), why is it "out of line" to say that playing a defensive style maximizes the chance of winning thereby enhancing the coaches' survival?

How do you think the Senators managed to get to where they were in the course of their development?

I agree with you now. You explained it alot better in your second post.

But I also still believe Lemaire is running a trap, not to save his job, but because that is how he coaches reguardless of the wins and loses. IMO. After what he did here in Minnesota last year, he's pretty much considered a GOD here in Minney. I think we could be dead last in our divsion this year and he wouldn't have to worry about his job security.


Last edited by NyCoN: 12-16-2003 at 01:52 PM.
NyCoN is offline  
Old
12-16-2003, 11:39 AM
  #5
TexSen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Country: United States
Posts: 1,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
I agree with you now. You explained it alot better in your second post.

But I also still believe Lemaire is running a trap, not to save his job, but because that is how he coaches reguardless of the wins and loses. IMO. After what he did hear in Minnesota last year, he's pretty much considered a GOD here in Minney. I think we could be dead last in our divsion this year and he wouldn't have to worry about his job security.
It's a cause and effect thing really.

Side note..... having speed like Minny doesn't hurt. That's half of what killed Vancouver in the playoffs last year, guys like Gaborik etc with their wheels.

It wasn't Minny clutching and grabbing, it was their speed on the transition.

Certainly no inference was made to the talent level in that regard.

Again it is hard not to draw comparisons with Senators teams of past. Some pretty fast top level players, some depth players, decent D and a sound defensive game with quick transition.

TexSen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.