HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather confronts Lindros and press

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 02:53 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Sather confronts Lindros and press

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-129165c.html

Old
12-16-2003, 02:55 AM
KING

Sather sets record straight

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...ngnoteweb.html

Old
12-16-2003, 04:03 AM
True Blue

Hey look at that. What a shock. Messier not practicing. Off course he needs his rest. What 43 year old wouldn't if he had just played 20 minutes on the back end of a back-to-back?
So this is Sather's solution? He can play Messier 20 minutes, but so long as the captain does not attend practice, he should be fine to play 20 minutes the next night? Go figure, a guy who has not had a point since Thanksgiving, does not need to practice. What a fine example that is to the rest of the team. And I know that people will come out and say that I am attacking Messier needlessly here. However, if you're a captain of the team, you are supposed to set an example. And a team that has one win in the last 6 games, does not deserve to have players skip practice.
Some other things of note:

"Lindros again found himself with new linemates yesterday, skating with Martin Rucinsky and Matthew Barnaby. "

Can someone explain something to me. The Rangers had 2 lines that were functioning. The Rosie-Holik-Kovalev line and the Simon-Messier-Matty line. What was the reasoning in breaking them up? Guess the old adage, "If it isn't broker, don't fix it" does not apply here. The Rangers have so many things that are broker, I guess Jackass could not resist in breaking the 2 lines that WERE working.

I keep reading that Sather keeps saying that players need to play hard to be given ice time. That it's not just goals and points. That's great. However, how does that explain Bouchard not being dressed or how Hlavac keeps skating on the 2nd line? Or how Lundmark played less than 5 minutes a game? Or how Holik is on the 4th line? Or how he cannot criticize Messier for anything, but blasts Lindros who has 8 points in his last 10 games?

Old
12-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Fletch

On the two lines...

I thought the Mess-Simon-Matty line needed a bit of shaking up myself. As they became hot, they became the focus and production dwindled a bit. And personally, I'd like to see Holik face top lines, and Kovalev play on a 'top' line (with Lindros).

As for not practicing...with four days off between games, I don't think it's too uncommon to have optional practices, with the injured and old resting.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:17 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I thought the Mess-Simon-Matty line needed a bit of shaking up myself. As they became hot, they became the focus and production dwindled a bit. And personally, I'd like to see Holik face top lines, and Kovalev play on a 'top' line (with Lindros).

As for not practicing...with four days off between games, I don't think it's too uncommon to have optional practices, with the injured and old resting.
Who plays LW on a line with AK & Lindros then?

Old
12-16-2003, 05:39 AM
Fletch

That is a problem..

of course, if you asked me that in October, my answer was Lundmark. But today, Rucinsky? Let Mess play with kids on the fourth line, Simon with Holik and Barnaby, and Nedved with the other two clowns. Or demote Nedved to the fourth line with Hlavac and Carter and play Mess with DLac and Ortmeyer on the right wing (or flip Ortmeyer and Carter). It's not all that drastic if you think Kovalev and Rucinsky have played with each other; Barnaby and Simon have played with each other; Nedved and Hlavac play with each other.

Just as important are the defense pairings, but they ain't no fun to dream up because there's only so much that can be done with that group. The forwards, I believe, have potential.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:21 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I thought the Mess-Simon-Matty line needed a bit of shaking up myself. As they became hot, they became the focus and production dwindled a bit.

That fact that even became the focus and no one took over that "focus" from them says a lot about this team and its sad state.

i am not the biggest sather fan by any stretch of the imagination but the sad fact is a lot of these guys have been outplayed by that line.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
i am not the biggest sather fan by any stretch of the imagination but the sad fact is a lot of these guys have been outplayed by that line.
You're right, but then of course Sather has to take the hit for acquiring guys who CAN be outplayed by a 43-year-old and a pair of plumbers.

I doubt any of these three would be outplaying Mike York.

Closed Thread