HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Oilers vs Kings

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Oilersyul89

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
I'm fed up of Salo. Doesn't make the BIG save. **** him...I'd rather go withConklin.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:14 PM
punchy1

from a Kings fan point of view.

Raffi Tores were a stud tonight. Always dangerous.

Hemsky is a deceptive player. He doesn't look special but he is always in the play. That is a neat trick as it is always those kind of players that win games for you. The big name guys will get thier points but those blokes who quitely produce game in and game out are special. He looks like one of them.

Horcroft is a player I wanted to get a peak at for a bit now. He is a gritty tough player (was tonight) and has some nice speed.

Laraque is soft. He had so many chances to really take his old style of play to the Kings and he just didn't do the job.

Smith and Smyth were both as good as advertised. Solid efforts.

Salo has lost his game. He isn't terrible mind you, just nothing special and he used to be. He hasn't played allot so maybe that is it. Hard to watch someone who has been so good play so bad. Allot like JS in Ana.

The Oilers played hard and were in the game until the end. I feel that is the most you can ask your team to do on the road. Of course, you want them to win and they should but, if they put in the effort that is half the battle.

Frolov had an off night. He had a goal and an assist but it weren't his best effort and he were lucky to get those points. When he is on, he is truly amazing. Tonight he was just not on. Good, but not as good as he can and has been.

Klatt looked solid and has been all season. A real gamer.

The rest is just Kings stuff so no point in writing it here.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:14 PM
elphy101

I don't know what to say but Tommy Sucks. He just can't make the big save. He's lost it, Arturs Irbe style. Hopefully the rotation stays all year. I don't want Salo to play more than he has too.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
I don't know what to say but Tommy Sucks. He just can't make the big save. He's lost it, Arturs Irbe style. Hopefully the rotation stays all year. I don't want Salo to play more than he has too.
Yah, after a few games I must say that I think Tommy's day is done in Edmonton... Time for a change for him and if not I doubt there will be a contract extension.

Still, I hope he can suprise me ...

Sam

Old
12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I disagree.. we would have lost that game with Conklin in net as well.
Cerebral, you could be right and after a loss I shouldn't post until I finish my cool down phase. It is just that Huet makes 22 saves on 24 shots and Tommy makes 21 saves on 24 shots. Salo just can't seem to raise to the occasion and play better than his counter part.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:22 PM
aki

Another game, another loss.

Call me crazy, but it sure would have been nice to get someone who could help right now as part of the Comrie deal.

Old
12-16-2003, 09:27 PM
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
THis game was a prime example of when you need your goalie to steal a point for the team. Over the past 10 games or so neither goalie has been outstanding. The Oilers need a goaltender to step up his play and make a difference in a game.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:21 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I was out tonight but I still saw some of the game. I was in a bar, so when I saw this guy in a #10 jersey score that first Oilers goal, I kind of blinked and checked myself to make sure I was seeing what I thought, and yeah, I was still all there and Shawn Horcoff just scored a decent goal......that's kinda scary.....

Still amazing how quickly people say "oh, he's gonna be fine" and all this other stuff. This is still the same guy, and this is not average for him, this is him playing really well....it's still 4th line, and it won't last.

Sick how this road trip went. ZERO excuses for not coming home 4-0. Whatever anyone wants to say, and that we'll be fine and all that other junk...nope, this team blew a shot at a great year, and will now have to scrape by again. What a pathetic waste.

And I think the Kings jerseys made a couple people vomit..........

And on Salo, it wasn't even that he needed to "steal" this one. If he would have done his job, which is to stop the pucks he shoulda stopped, they win.

Old
12-17-2003, 12:43 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Still amazing how quickly people say "oh, he's gonna be fine" and all this other stuff. This is still the same guy, and this is not average for him, this is him playing really well....it's still 4th line, and it won't last.
This may not be "average" for him... but his struggles at the beginning of the season were nowhere near average for him either. For the last two years, he's been an extremely solid 5 on 5 player as per Igor's stats.

I think it's more amazing that suddenly Horcoff's entire career and past consistent play have gone right out the window with his struggles in the first two months. How quickly we forget?

Old
12-17-2003, 05:13 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
take the posotives people, look Horcoff has turned his game around and hopefully he can keep it like that. Comrie is traded - monkey off Lowe's back and now he can focus on team issues. Salo I didn't watch the game but I find it interesting that someone said Conklin would have lost it anyway where some others are blaming Salo. So lets see could it have been a game where Salo couldn't have won due to the team in front of him?

Old
12-17-2003, 06:09 AM
Yanner39

Here visiting the inlaws in Sudbury so I didn't get to see the game (maybe that's a good thing). Anyways, from the highlights, A couple of goals were Salo's fault. I mean, he has this uncanny ability to kick rebounds to the opposing team. Whereas Conklin seems to be getting better at controling them, Salo is getting worst. Also, long shots from the point where he doesn't "see" them. C'mon. IMO, an agressive goalie goes out to challenge or gets the screener our of the way. Against Phoenix, the treatment Smytty got in front of Burke is an example. Tommy needs to fight for the space.

Maybe he was unlucky, but the saying is that when your lucky your good and when your GOOD, you're lucky. Salo is neither right now.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:26 AM
Allan

Quote:
And I think the Kings jerseys made a couple people vomit..........
They're still better than the ones they use now.

Old
12-17-2003, 07:50 AM
punchy1

And still earned them the two points that both teams need.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:32 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This may not be "average" for him... but his struggles at the beginning of the season were nowhere near average for him either. For the last two years, he's been an extremely solid 5 on 5 player as per Igor's stats.

I think it's more amazing that suddenly Horcoff's entire career and past consistent play have gone right out the window with his struggles in the first two months. How quickly we forget?
Because consistent 4th line play is so incredibly valuable and not at all easily replaceable, it has nothing to do with who the coach's favorite is, no, it couldn't be that could it...........

Priorities.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:38 PM
momentai

Quote:
Because consistent 4th line play is so incredibly valuable and not at all easily replaceable, it has nothing to do with who the coach's favorite is, no, it couldn't be that could it...........

Priorities.
Regardless of whether you think it to be important or not. The fact is that Horcoff, at the moment, is doing his job. Not getting scored upon and creating chances at the offensive end while being lights out on the faceoff dot.

I think it's high time everyone stopped discussing Horcoff and proclaiming him to be one of the worst players. He doesn't warrant nomination anymore. It's time to lay off. Now, if you want to discuss the ineffectiveness of Oates or Smyth, that's fine. But Horcoff is doing quite alright if you ask me.

The play of Smyth or Oates deserve more mention than the continual bashing of Horcoff. Priorities.

Old
12-17-2003, 01:44 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Regardless of whether you think it to be important or not. The fact is that Horcoff, at the moment, is doing his job. Not getting scored upon and creating chances at the offensive end while being lights out on the faceoff dot.

I think it's high time everyone stopped discussing Horcoff and proclaiming him to be one of the worst players. He doesn't warrant nomination anymore. It's time to lay off. Now, if you want to discuss the ineffectiveness of Oates or Smyth, that's fine. But Horcoff is doing quite alright if you ask me.

The play of Smyth or Oates deserve more mention than the continual bashing of Horcoff. Priorities.
Then why didn't you just ignore what I originally said? It was a very small part of my comments. Also, should anyone be happy with a guy who's doing his job, if that job means he's on the 4th line, NOPE. This applies to guys like Laraque and Chimera as well.

If these had been home games, where I'm doing game reports, I'm sure I would've given it to Oates or Smyth, and also to MacT and all the fans who seem to think Defence is this team's problem right now.

Closed Thread