HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flying Under the Radar Is....

Old
03-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Face Wash

vCash: 500
Flying Under the Radar Is....

..The fact that Alexander Frolov, once again, is ending his season on a poor note. He scored his 30th goal with 24 games to go in the season, well on his way to a 40-goal season if he scores at even "less" than a 40-goal pace the rest of the way (once every other game). Instead the guy has scored 4 goals since Valentine's Day and only once in his last 14 games.

Players go through stretches like this. Heck, until Patrick Marleau scored twice the other night, he had one goal in his last 15, but this seems to be a trend with Frolov. Last season, sans the 6 weeks he missed in Feb and March, he scored 3 goals in his final 21 games and has had similar stats the previous years as well (even if back then, he wasn't counted on to score as much as he is now).

The guy's not an incredibly productive player in second halfs. Leads me to wonder what the Kings would get from the guy in the playoffs should they actually make them in the future.

He's one of the streakiest players I can ever remember in a Kings uniform that had as much talent as he has. It's actually quite frustrating from game to game?

Is he in poor condition? Does he lose motivation being out of the playoffs all the time? Is he malingering over his contract (which he signed pretty recently)?

What gives? He's too good to be this inconsistent during the year and this bad at the end of every season.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 0
Maybe he just doesn't have the gas in the tank.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's a fair opinion, but I don't buy it with him. That should NEVER be the case for a 5-year veteran who's not exactly at the top of the pay scale. He's still playing a solid defensive game as well. You want more $$$$, it's an 82-game season, best be in "condition" to perform in 80% to 90% (or more) of those games.

Old
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Tadite

Or maybe he (like much of the team) has problems giving their all when we have been out of the playoffs for 2 or 3 months.'

I think he is just in a little slump.

I don't think he has been bad at the end of seasons. At least no worse then anyone else on the team. Heck in the last season he was playing injured since the Olympics.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
sandbox

ITs a very good goint. Three straight season of this. Last year was the most noticable, but it should be an area of concern for King fan if they make the playoffs next year.

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
Or maybe he (like much of the team) has problems giving their all when we have been out of the playoffs for 2 or 3 months.'

I think he is just in a little slump.

I don't think he has been bad at the end of seasons. At least no worse then anyone else on the team. Heck in the last season he was playing injured since the Olympics.
I dont buy that. WHat do you call it when a player goes into a "little slump" 3 years in a row for the last 2 or 3 months?

Old
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Last year he came back earlier from an injuried shoulder. I don't know how you can fault him for doing that. He's 24. If Patrick Marleau is still inconsistant after being in the league for 9 years, cut Frolov and his 4 years in the league a little slack. Just my opinion.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelleforpres View Post
I dont buy that. WHat do you call it when a player goes into a "little slump" 3 years in a row for the last 2 or 3 months?
I think he is still young. Shoot this is the first year he has played to his complete capacity.

But even more then that he signed a big long-term contract and then had the best year of his career. How many times have players signed and then just gone on vacation for a few years? Frolov earned his money this year. That is a darn good sign I think.

Old
03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
Johnny Utah

Dustin Brown has been the best Kings player on the ice recently. Frolov has had the burden taken off him b/c of Brown's play, Kopitar returning, and Cammy being on fire. He had some nice shots last night.

I still think Crawford needs to put Frolov with Kopitar....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:05 PM
KingsFan7824

Unfortunately, Frolov hasn't been in an important game over the last few years during this time of year to know how he would respond to pressure. I thought he had a nice game last night. He was back to shooting the puck a couple times, went to the net hard on one shift with a backhand that Luongo made a nice save on(don't know if it would've gone in either way, but the driving to the net is the key). His overall numbers have improved from last season, and his game has as well. When the Kings are in a position to not quit(like the entire team had done the last few years), and actually play a meaningful game in March, then I'll worry about what Frolov might do in the playoffs.

Maybe Frolov will just end up being a guy that doesn't score for 10 games, then puts 9 in during the next 10. That's why you need depth, and other players who can score. It takes 23 guys to win.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:38 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If you've watched him play, you know that this is completely untrue. He's just not getting the bounces. He had a couple of golden opportunities in this past game that he didn't convert. He's hardly the only streaky player in the league. Hell, they were gonna ride the Cheechoo train out of town on a rail earlier in the season.

Frolov is fine. He lost some steam when Armstrong went down, and fortunately Brown and O'Sullivan were there to pick it up.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM
sandbox

I don't think you guys understand what I'm saying, and I know you'll backup your guy under pretty much any circumstance; He's amazing. But you guys can't see a trend that has happened the last year 3 years an even acknowledge it, I think you might be overlooking somethings. I don't think you can make excuses for a player 3 years in a row but maybe you guys can.

Old
03-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion View Post
If you've watched him play, you know that this is completely untrue. He's just not getting the bounces. He had a couple of golden opportunities in this past game that he didn't convert. He's hardly the only streaky player in the league. Hell, they were gonna ride the Cheechoo train out of town on a rail earlier in the season.

Frolov is fine. He lost some steam when Armstrong went down, and fortunately Brown and O'Sullivan were there to pick it up.

Yea isn't it the strangest thing to have 5 young legit top-6 players? When did this happen?

Remember a couple of years ago when we had arguments over did the Kings have 3 top-6 players or 4? heh

Good stuff. Welcome back Tubby.

Old
03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

It just happens sometimes in hockey. Since most of you have watched every Kings game as well, I'm sure you've noticed all of the chances that he and MC have generated-they just haven't been going in. I've been really impressed by the way the two have clicked.

Even though Alex has been in a bit of a slump, the good thing about a player like him is that he still contributes defensively and creates chances in the offensive zone even if he doesn't get on the scoresheet.

03-30-2007, 03:24 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
he still contributes defensively and creates chances in the offensive zone even if he doesn't get on the scoresheet.
That is it... 100%. In his past slumps he has seemed to disappear. this year he is still out there working his butt off, making things happen. They cant always bounce in... but if you keep playing the way he is, they will eventually go in. It happens to just about EVERY player. I'd say the same for a King or for a dreaded DUCK!!!

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 03:36 PM
lakings41

Another lame thread on players that count. No offense Face Wash but why is it that we always nitpick on our most productive players. This board gets ridiculous at times. Three weeks ago it was Dustin Brown and ever since he's shut everyone up here. This week it's Frolov so i'm expecting quite a very good end to the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2578/career

What's not to like on those stats above. He's improved each and every year and more to come. He's an amazing player in my book and I could care less if he gets 80 pts in his first 40 games or last 40 games. At the end of the day he's still helping this club. There are only a handful of guys in the NHL that consistently put up massive consistent numbers. The rest are just like Frolov.

I'm more concerned with our draft position at present and i'm worried that Edmonton, Chicago, Washington and Phoenix won't win another game.

lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakings41 View Post
Another lame thread on players that count. No offense Face Wash but why is it that we always nitpick on our most productive players.
I don't remember the last time I saw a thread about Frolov on this board, quite frankly... that's why I titled it "Flying Under the Radar" the way I did, and frankly, he HASN'T been one of our most productive players the last month and a half and thus the thread was started to simply point out that while we all know he's got great skills and is good defensively, he's gone flat at the end of the season yet again.

No one is calling for him to be dealt, no one is saying he sucks, I'm just pointing out a negative end of the season trend about a guy who this team counts on for more production after a number of seasons in the league. It's a fair thread with the stats to back it up.

But don't worry, no offense taken.

Having said all that, I hope he can shut me up by being more productive in the last 4 games. I'd be the first person on this board smiling about it.

Last edited by Face Wash: 03-30-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old
03-31-2007, 11:31 AM
kingsfan25

Frolov is a streaky player...it just seems to be in his nature as a hockey player. The main reason he has such a good point total this year is because he's gotten hotter on his hot streaks than in years past, not because he's improved his consistency. IMO, we're probably going to be having this discussion next year, as well.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Kingswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I don't remember the last time I saw a thread about Frolov on this board, quite frankly... that's why I titled it "Flying Under the Radar" the way I did, and frankly, he HASN'T been one of our most productive players the last month and a half and thus the thread was started to simply point out that while we all know he's got great skills and is good defensively, he's gone flat at the end of the season yet again.

No one is calling for him to be dealt, no one is saying he sucks, I'm just pointing out a negative end of the season trend about a guy who this team counts on for more production after a number of seasons in the league. It's a fair thread with the stats to back it up.

But don't worry, no offense taken.

Having said all that, I hope he can shut me up by being more productive in the last 4 games. I'd be the first person on this board smiling about it.

Yeah he is hardly noticeable out there compared to earlier in the season. Even Dallman has been more noticeable the last few games.

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:14 PM
johnjm22

Even when Fro isn't scoring he's still a useful player.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Playa Hamm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Even when Fro isn't scoring he's still a useful player.

Don't bring that up. Point totals are the only things that matter in hockey. If a guy plays great defensively and creates space for his linemates with his forechecking, disregard that....its all about points.....thats why guys like Joe Thornton have so many rings.

Playa Hamm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:57 AM
dabeechman

Fro has one of the best shots on the team. It's a draw between him and MC. The only time I really notice Fro being at the top of his game is when he is taking his shots. He gets in his passive funks and he opts to pass to a covered man, rather then take an open shot from the slot, and what is when we all bang our fists on the table.

He has the talent as we all know, but he just needs to realize he cant score if he doesn't shoot.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Fro has one of the best shots on the team. It's a draw between him and MC. The only time I really notice Fro being at the top of his game is when he is taking his shots. He gets in his passive funks and he opts to pass to a covered man, rather then take an open shot from the slot, and what is when we all bang our fists on the table.

He has the talent as we all know, but he just needs to realize he cant score if he doesn't shoot.
IMO Frolov's shot isn't that great. His slapper isn't that strong, but it does seem to have accuracy, and his wrister doesn't have that much on it either.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 06:02 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
IMO Frolov's shot isn't that great. His slapper isn't that strong, but it does seem to have accuracy, and his wrister doesn't have that much on it either.
Excluding Alyn McCauly's 1 goal on 4 shots, Frolov has the highest shooting percentage of any King.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Face Wash

Wayne Gretzky didn't have much of a shot either.... but he managed to shoot the puck plenty.