HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Depth Chart Question

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 06:31 AM
DJ Spinoza

vCash: 500
Prospect Depth Chart Question

Hello everyone..

I know you've all been pestered with this one before, but I am looking for old information about the three amigos the Pens got in the Jagr deal. Someone I am debating with on another board claims that it was common knowledge that all three (Sivek, Beech, Lupaschuk obviously) had fallen outside of the Caps top ten in their depth chart. I know this can't be true, because at that point, none of Semin, Fehr, or Oullett were part of the Caps organization.

Were they really all three outside of the top 10 back then?

Old
12-16-2003, 06:54 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Hello everyone..

I know you've all been pestered with this one before, but I am looking for old information about the three amigos the Pens got in the Jagr deal. Someone I am debating with on another board claims that it was common knowledge that all three (Sivek, Beech, Lupaschuk obviously) had fallen outside of the Caps top ten in their depth chart. I know this can't be true, because at that point, none of Semin, Fehr, or Oullett were part of the Caps organization.

Were they really all three outside of the top 10 back then?
No.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
They were all very much in the top 10. Those fans that didn't like the trade generally disliked it for one of two reasons:

A. Didn't want another 'soft' player
B. Thought the Caps gave up too much youth in a deal that was a salary dump for the Penguins

Last edited by Marshall: 12-16-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old
12-16-2003, 08:39 AM
DJ Spinoza

Thanks guys.

I have been saying that really the only Capital prospect back then who could be put above them would be Yonkman. Really, no one else comes to mind as being around in the system back then.

The three guys were some of the highest picks in a while, and I couldn't see how all three would not be in the top ten. Maybe one, but I don't think there were 10 players all with more potential than those three.

Again, thanks for the help.

Old
12-16-2003, 10:56 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I have been saying that really the only Capital prospect back then who could be put above them would be Yonkman. Really, no one else comes to mind as being around in the system back then.

The three guys were some of the highest picks in a while, and I couldn't see how all three would not be in the top ten. Maybe one, but I don't think there were 10 players all with more potential than those three.

Again, thanks for the help.
Beech and Sivek were #1 and #2, respectively. Lupaschuk was in the top 7 I'd say... under Yonkman and debateably under Cutta.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:27 PM
I_r_1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHunter
Beech and Sivek were #1 and #2, respectively. Lupaschuk was in the top 7 I'd say... under Yonkman and debateably under Cutta.
My personal rankings at the time has Sivek over beech due to the fact I didn't see big time point potential in Beech. I saw lots of assist but very little will, motivation or even the right shot to score goals. Too quick to give up on his own efforts and make a pass instead of shooting the puck. With Sivek I saw a guy who had all the passing tools Beech did and a willingness to try and score the goals and a shot to do it as well. Personally I never saw anything in Lupa nor do I see a whole lot now. I think he could be a #4 or 5 guy still but I honestly saw more in Paetsch than I ever did in Lupa. That's why I was so excited over the Jagr trade.. I was sad about losing Sivek but as far as Beech and Lupa go I wasn't hurt. All 3 of them were for sure in the top 10 though. No question there.

Old
12-17-2003, 10:30 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_r_1337
My personal rankings at the time has Sivek over beech due to the fact I didn't see big time point potential in Beech. I saw lots of assist but very little will, motivation or even the right shot to score goals. Too quick to give up on his own efforts and make a pass instead of shooting the puck. With Sivek I saw a guy who had all the passing tools Beech did and a willingness to try and score the goals and a shot to do it as well. Personally I never saw anything in Lupa nor do I see a whole lot now. I think he could be a #4 or 5 guy still but I honestly saw more in Paetsch than I ever did in Lupa. That's why I was so excited over the Jagr trade.. I was sad about losing Sivek but as far as Beech and Lupa go I wasn't hurt. All 3 of them were for sure in the top 10 though. No question there.
I liked Lupaschuk because he was a fiesty defenseman with some real nice offensive skills and PP capability. I always thought he was one of those guys that while he didn't have the blue chip hype and potential, he was the type that would just keep working his ass off until he made it... then he'd work harder. Unfortunately, it looks like he's reached a plateau.

Old
12-20-2003, 02:29 PM
DJ Spinoza

I hate to bump this up guys, but I am still in this debate for some reason.

Here's a link to an old Post article. (sorry it's from tripod though...)

http://members.tripod.com/~mscapsfan/jagr0701.html

Here's a quote from the article:

Quote:
The Capitals did not part with a single player on their roster – or even one of their top minor league prospects – in acquiring the seven-time all-star. Instead, they gave up a trio of 1999 draft picks – forwards Kris Beech and Michal Sivek and defenseman Ross Lupaschuk – along with cash and future considerations for Jagr and defenseman Frantisek Kucera.
Now, it's so easy to see what the quote means, but people at this other forum seem to be struggling, so I'd like your help again guys.

Of course Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschuk wouldn't have been considered the best minor league prospects because they were not making them minor league players. If you're not a minor league player and never have played a minor league game, it sure is hard to be a minor league prospects.

They were all in Junior hockey at the time, meaning that technically they were Junior hockey prospects.

This seems to be just a technicality used by the Post writer to make the trade sound much better than it was (you have to admit that getting at that time the best player in the world for three unproven prospects was a good trade, didn't turn out so well though).

It seems pretty open and shut here. They were among the best prospects in the entire system, as you guys have said. I've even quoted stats from hockeydb showing that there weren't any other guys you could consider better than Beech or Sivek at the time, and not many put up 65 points as a defensemen like Lupaschuk did in Red Deer a few years ago.

So could you please explain and back me up that they couldn't have been minor league prospects but were rather Junior league prospects (I've linked this thread over there, I'll pass on a link of the thread about Beech if you really want to read it, just ask me).

Thanks again and again sorry for clogging your boards with this!

Old
12-20-2003, 05:17 PM
I_r_1337

They ment we didn't give up Sutherby.

Quote:
I hate to bump this up guys, but I am still in this debate for some reason.

Here's a link to an old Post article. (sorry it's from tripod though...)

http://members.tripod.com/~mscapsfan/jagr0701.html

Here's a quote from the article:

Now, it's so easy to see what the quote means, but people at this other forum seem to be struggling, so I'd like your help again guys.

Of course Beech, Sivek, and Lupaschuk wouldn't have been considered the best minor league prospects because they were not making them minor league players. If you're not a minor league player and never have played a minor league game, it sure is hard to be a minor league prospects.

They were all in Junior hockey at the time, meaning that technically they were Junior hockey prospects.

This seems to be just a technicality used by the Post writer to make the trade sound much better than it was (you have to admit that getting at that time the best player in the world for three unproven prospects was a good trade, didn't turn out so well though).

It seems pretty open and shut here. They were among the best prospects in the entire system, as you guys have said. I've even quoted stats from hockeydb showing that there weren't any other guys you could consider better than Beech or Sivek at the time, and not many put up 65 points as a defensemen like Lupaschuk did in Red Deer a few years ago.

So could you please explain and back me up that they couldn't have been minor league prospects but were rather Junior league prospects (I've linked this thread over there, I'll pass on a link of the thread about Beech if you really want to read it, just ask me).

Thanks again and again sorry for clogging your boards with this!

Closed Thread