HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Well done DT

Old
03-30-2007, 07:25 PM
oiler4ever

vCash: 500
Well done DT

Good job Dan Tencer. Very good read.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6498

oiler4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler4ever View Post
Good job Dan Tencer. Very good read.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6498

Good read, I agree!

Game 8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:12 PM
BleedOil83

I like Tencer, but it isn't exactly groundbreaking. I'm nearly positive every point mentioned has already been in the papers this year.

Nevertheless, I'm very much in agreement.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

he says mactavish didnt have a good team to work with, but then lets lowe off the hook for giving him that team...

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

The way I look at it, Lowe has this summer and next season to prove that he deserves an extension. IMO any good buzz he picked up from that Cup run has been more than negated by this utter disaster of a season. He's got a busy summer ahead of him, he has zero laurels to rest on.

As for the coaching staff, I'm fine with MacT staying on but I really think the assistants under him are in need of a shakeup. The PP has been simply not good enough for at least 3 seasons now, whatever they're doing is not working.

Last edited by Digger12: 03-30-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Oilerdiehard

That is interesting he talks about the D going into the season was so thin and deficient because one of his first blogs of the season he was defending how solid our D was going to be this year despite what most were saying about it.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
21Gator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The way I look at it, Lowe has this summer and next season to prove that deserves an extension. IMO any good buzz he picked up from that Cup run has been more than negated by this utter disaster of a season. He's got a busy summer ahead of him, he has zero laurels to rest on.

As for the coaching staff, I'm fine with MacT staying on but I really think the assistants under him are in need of a shakeup. The PP has been simply not good enough for at least 3 seasons now, whatever they're doing is not working.
Good read. No Laurels indeed. I couldn't imagine the hysteria if this carried on through next season.

21Gator* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:49 PM
smytty's mullet

good read. i'm waiting for call me walter and the rest of the boys to show up and rip him a new one though.

one comment on lowe: i know he's taken a bunch of heat for not addressing the defence problem and for moving smyth, among other things, but the one thing i'd like to know from those that want lowe fired is, who would the oilers realistically get to replace him? the guy has been in charge of a franchise for 7 years and he has rebuilt a team that had a horrible drafting record, no farm system, and precious little success in the last 10 years. if he were fired after 1 bad year, how would you convince anybody decent to come here. the message would be, go to the finals and one year later you're fired. with pressure and expectations like that from ownership, we'd get somebody that couldn't get a job anyplace else. no thanks.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Soundwave

I believe Lowe will redeem himself and the dissapointment of this season will only serve as motivation come summer time.

I haven't backed Lowe on all the moves he made (again I still feel Pronger should have been moved for Luongo straight away), but I have a feeling he will redeem himself.

We just had way too many bad breaks this year and the market wasn't in our favor after we cashed in during 2006. The pendeleum will swing the other way though. And when we do climb all the way back, it will make it all that more sweeter.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 11:57 PM
4th_Liner

i think the timing is so wrong for lowe this summer.. he knew he has to do something this summer but what's available as UFAs are far less attractive than last summer..

i think his best move is to overpay for a few UFA d-men for a couple of 1-2 year contracts.. that way he gets by with the PR and it doesn't mess up the core..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 02:45 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
again I still feel Pronger should have been moved for Luongo straight away
the timing of this just doesn't work though.

the oilers lost game 7 of the final on monday night. at that point apparently lowe knew that pronger was unhappy, but hoped that the success of the playoff run would calm the situation down. prongers agent broke the news that pronger had asked for a trade friday afternoon, less than 4 days after the final ended and the bertuzzi / luongo trade happened that same night, the day before the entry draft. i guess we'll probably never know when the official trade request came, but regardless of when in the week it was, lowe was working on extremely tight timelines. add to that the complicating factor that luongo was a ufa to be after 1 year and a contract had to be negotiated etc. and it makes the timelines quite difficult. and as much as i think luongo should win the vezina and likely the mvp as well, goaltending has been the least of our problems this year. rollie isn't luongo, but he's been our best player by a mile most nights.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 07:54 AM
goggog

good read. I agree. Without all the injuries, we would be in the race. With Pronger, we probably would've locked up a playoff spot a week ago

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:26 AM
Yanner39

Which is why it's so perplexing all the EIG and Lowe bashers out there that want this thing blown up. IMO, LOwe didn't do a very good job this season and not even talking about the Smyth situation, which I thought he handled it the right way and I give him all the credit in the world for doing what he did on Mark Messier night.

I think the Oilers are 1 or 2 UFA signings away from making this team competitive again. And people should also consider this: There is a solid chance that Carolina might miss the playoffs as well.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 09:47 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
good read. i'm waiting for call me walter and the rest of the boys to show up and rip him a new one though.

one comment on lowe: i know he's taken a bunch of heat for not addressing the defence problem and for moving smyth, among other things, but the one thing i'd like to know from those that want lowe fired is, who would the oilers realistically get to replace him? the guy has been in charge of a franchise for 7 years and he has rebuilt a team that had a horrible drafting record, no farm system, and precious little success in the last 10 years. if he were fired after 1 bad year, how would you convince anybody decent to come here. the message would be, go to the finals and one year later you're fired. with pressure and expectations like that from ownership, we'd get somebody that couldn't get a job anyplace else. no thanks.
I don't think I've ever said Lowe should be fired, just that he needs to be held accountable for his poor preformance. And it's not just one bad year--we've missed the playoffs 3 times out of the past five years haven't we? And 2 of those non-playoff years were post Canadian dollar rise (i.e. we had enough revenues to compete so the whole small market thing is not an excuse). If we miss the playoffs 4 out of 6, then he certainly should be fired.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 09:49 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
the timing of this just doesn't work though.

the oilers lost game 7 of the final on monday night. at that point apparently lowe knew that pronger was unhappy, but hoped that the success of the playoff run would calm the situation down.
Regardless of what Lowe hoped for, he should have been working on a contigency plan. If he just sat around and did nothing about the issue, then he was negligent.

Old
03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
Which is why it's so perplexing all the EIG and Lowe bashers out there that want this thing blown up. IMO, LOwe didn't do a very good job this season and not even talking about the Smyth situation, which I thought he handled it the right way and I give him all the credit in the world for doing what he did on Mark Messier night.

I think the Oilers are 1 or 2 UFA signings away from making this team competitive again. .
So what two UFA sgning can Lowe possibly make to make up for the loss of Pronger and Smyth? And how can he possibly fit those guys under the EIG cap?

Old
03-31-2007, 09:59 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Some oiler fans are just pissed off about the oilers going from the finals to missing the playoffs

you take away last years playoff run--oilers were clearly rebuilding

and after last year I think 12 players were turned over from the team

hopefully the oiler do well at the draft

as for Lowe and MAct

Klowe is still rebuilding the entire organization

Mact--He migh be gone by mis season

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
*M*J*D*

Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
Of course I don't agree with the whole MacT not being fired stance, however, if he IS here to start the season next year, I hope he is on a very short leash, I would hate to wait until midseason if we are low in the standings, any major gaffes next year and any hesitation might ruin our chances.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 11:06 AM
OntOilFan

It's well-written, sycophantic drivel. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, CHED has to protect its product.

Tencer's commentary can't be taken seriously, considering he's basically employed by the Oilers.

Especially when he misses facts that are so easily caught (14 goals for Pisani, not 12 and 27 goals for Torres, not 28).

Also, this is perhaps the most idiotic thing he's ever said:

They could have gotten Scott Niedermayer in return and they still would have lost the trade for right now.

Um. No. How would that be losing the trade?

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 12:14 PM
CallMeWalter

Good read?

The expected apologist company line from Tencer.

While some, in fact many, of Tencer's points have merit, this is again a case of accentuating those points while at the same time explaining away the negative. This is what housemen do.

I happen to agree that gutting the entire organization at this point -- firing Lowe, MacTavish etc -- would be a gross over-reaction to what has been a disappointing season. Likewise, this is not a roster without talent and potential and it's one that deserves another chance once bolstered by what is so obviously lacking.

Yes, there were mitigating circumstances: the loss of Pronger, Spacek etc etc. We get it, Dan. And no, Lowe and MacTavish did NOT turn into fools in the course of one year. Most intelligent people wouldn't begin to suggest that.

What Tencer does, as usual, though, is give MacTavish and Lowe too much credit for last season while muting criticism for what unfolded this season. Just as Lowe and MacT are not dummies now, they weren't the second-coming of Sam Pollock and Scotty Bowman on the way to the Cup Final. This was an eighth-place team that got on a roll after upsetting Detroit and put together a wonderful stretch of committed, passionate hockey. Lowe, MacTavish, the coaching staff and the players deserve credit for that. We get that, too.

It goes without saying, then, that all the above have to share and wear the failure when it goes bad like it did this season. That is especially true for Lowe and MacTavish. That's how it works. Credit and criticism starts at the top and filters down -- it holds true even if housemen like Tencer would rather soft-sell it and shift the focus. It stands to reason people would question the performance of Lowe and MacTavish, just as under-achievers like Lupul Torres, Horcoff and the rest shouldn't expect a free pass from the people who pay the freight. Simple as that.

I'm not going to rip Tencer a new one, as sombody put it. He is what he is and the apologist line he just trotted out is merely a reflection that he is bought and paid for by the Oilers. We know that, too.

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:36 PM
Spartacles

Send a message via MSN to Spartacles
"They could have gotten Scott Niedermayer in return and they still would have lost the trade for right now.

Um. No. How would that be losing the trade?"

Because Pronger is better than Niedermayer?

That would be losing a trade.

I liked the article but I agree that it is really pro-Oilers organization.

However, I think that Lowe is doing a great job. With the money available to him and the smart trades hes made in the past, he is clearly one of the better GM's in the league.

MacT, I think he would be a great assistant coach but we need a coach who wants to go back to the old oiler ways of playing hockey. Speed and Scoring! This team, IMO isnt built for a defense first style of play.

Spartacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
So what two UFA sgning can Lowe possibly make to make up for the loss of Pronger and Smyth? And how can he possibly fit those guys under the EIG cap?
Some needs can be addressed without signing as superstar forward and a superstar defenseman. Again, some players could be had at a good price. That's why a team employs pro scouts.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

and pronger isn't better than lupul and smid??

Hemsky is a gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 05:59 PM
4th_Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
Some needs can be addressed without signing as superstar forward and a superstar defenseman. Again, some players could be had at a good price. That's why a team employs pro scouts.
yeah that logic got us tarnquivst, hejda, sykora, nedved at a "good price"..

diamond in the rough is a rare occurance.. not something you should expect.. the player's ability is usually correlated with his price just like everything else in the world..

4th_Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Tyrolean

Oiler apologist or not, he makes some points that every smart Oiler fans already knows. It was a collective failure and few things could have corrected it over the course of a season. No one could have predicted the almost mass failure of the forwards. The defence was in question and proved it.

Lowe and MacT basically have the next 2 season to improve or they are gone. I have a feeling that they will be ultimately successful though as they are slowing building up the talent level.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote