HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Toews the best call ?

Old
03-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Lucifer_Devils

vCash: 500
Was Toews the best call ?

I'm about to have the third overall selection from the '06 draft in my sim league.
With the hype on Erik Johnson and the season of Jordan Staal in Pittsburgh, I guess my options will be Toews, Backstrom or Kessel when the mic comes my way.

The names of Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic and Trevor Linden caught my attention from previous readings on your young centerman over the past few months. For those of you who had the chance to follow him this year, would you say he was and he's still the best call or Backstrom with a great season in Europe and Kessel getting stronger and aware of defensive coverage would have been better choices ?

Thanks for your help

Lucifer_Devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Hockey-Freak

Im not a Hawks fan so you can call me unbiased though my two sentences on this one may be pretty close to the posts after this one:

Id pick Toews right after Erik Johnson, regardless of Jordan Staals great rookie season - and I like the Pens!

Ive followed the Fighting Siouxs season close enough and everyone knows what he did at the World Juniors.

Its not all about scoring in hockey and even if it would be, hed be at least a really good pick. Maybe Backstrom will put up bigger numbers over his career than Toews but I cant see anybody in this draft class who brings THAT MUCH to the table as Toews.

He is strong offensively, very responsible defensively, which only gets more value when you look at his age, is an absolutely leader, has nerves made of steel which could be worth gold especially when its playoff time and hes such a smart kid, down on earth in any interview I had seen!

If your sim league is just about stats you COULD go with Backstrom, who wont have trouble racking up points with Ovechkin on his wing but if its a more complex league Id take Toews any day of the week! Great offense, great defense, a letter on his jersey and an attitude you just have to love...

Hockey-Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Zim

Well the only real knock against Toews when he was drafted was that he didn't produce enough offensively. I think with this season in the NCAA he has shown he can be a force offensively and adding to that his great defensive game, leadership and hockey brain I think you have a very good player. However there is no way to tell yet who will be the best out of Backstrom, Toews and Kessel.

Here's a recent article about Toews.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=294171

Zim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2007, 10:36 PM
TRVIPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Well the only real knock against Toews when he was drafted was that he didn't produce enough offensively. I think with this season in the NCAA he has shown he can be a force offensively and adding to that his great defensive game, leadership and hockey brain I think you have a very good player. However there is no way to tell yet who will be the best out of Backstrom, Toews and Kessel.

Here's a recent article about Toews.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=294171
I do not know where you got the idea that the only real knock against Toews when he was drafted was that he didn't produce enough offensively.

Toews has always been a very good offensive player. His point totals have been excellent to outstanding everyway he played. In 2002-2003, he scored 98 goals and 95 assists for 193 points in 48 games as a 14 year old in AAA.The next 2 years for Shattuck-St.Mary's Sabres; in 133 games he scored 112 goals and 116 assists for 218 points. In college he has scored 37 goals and 44 assists for 81 points in 72 games.

Red Line Report
First and foremost for Red Line's money is Jonathan Toews, the most complete two-way forward in the draft. He's a good-sized center at 6-1, 185 pounds, with a phenomenal shot that he pinpoints to the corners with laser-like accuracy. His anticipation is excellent and the puck just always seems to find him. Knows how to play the game in all three zones and his ability to be exactly where he needs to be at all times is uncanny.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...forwards_x.htm

Red Line Report
The most complete all around forward in this draft. Supremely skilled and creative centre with great hands and touch around the net. A real sniper who has tremendous patience with puck around the crease. Has a wicked wrist shot that he can pinpoint to any corner he wants--buries his chances. Excellent anticipation and the puck always seems to find him; has the knack for being in the right place at right time. Gets the puck to his wingers in great position. Was the youngest player in U.S. collegiate hockey, yet was a key member of top 10 club. Can play any style. Will muscle defenders off the puck down low, then drive out of the corners and make plays on net. Superb hockey intelligence in all three zones and is extremely aware and responsible defensively. Comes back deep to help out "D" and is good on faceoffs.
Projection: Complete two-way centre who scores.
Style compares to: Rod Brind'Amour
http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/tea...athanToews.asp

Central Scouting
Possesses excellent acceleration, agility, quickness and is an extremely smart player who is versatile and has played both wing and center equally well this season ... has very good poise and patience with the puck when on the power-play or five-on- five ... possesses a dangerous shot with a quick release and has the ability to make big plays and finish ... is very good on faceoffs ... plays in all game situations and is smart and effective at anticipating the play ... closes off the passing lanes and causes turnovers when forechecking and is dangerous in shorthanded situations ... a highly competitive team player who is unselfish and will take a hit to make a play ... is a very consistent hard working player who leads by example ... keeps the play in front of him ... is responsible defensively ... goes hard at both ends of the ice ... is not overly physical when taking his man off the puck but is clever when using his body to protect the puck ... has outstanding leadership qualities.

TRVIPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Zim

I think the thing is when people think of Toews they immediately think of the 2-way forward thing and so people naturally assume that means that he isn't as good as say Backstrom or Kessel in the offensive zone.

Old
04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
nuckfan insk

toews was and still is my fav pick from 06. he is such a complete player as well as the other intangibles he brings.a mix of my 2 fav players (linden and sakic) but will play a lil more physical then the 2

and yes i like him more then EJ

nuckfan insk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Toews will not disappoint believe me.Have been watching him play for the FIGHTING SIOUX for the last 2 years and he will be a great pro.Kid has all the tools to be successful.Only thing that disappoints me about him is he almost for sure will be leaving North Dakota.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 08:19 PM
2ForRoughing*

Toews was and is an excellent pick by the Hawks. He'll be killing us Blues fans for years I predict. Luckilly EJ and TJ will be making your lives difficult so we should be in for a good time.
Don't worry about Toews. After Johnson you got the best player in the draft.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
fullmetalninja

The thing about Toews is that he doesn't have great speed. For that reason people don't see him as a bigtime offensive threat.

If he gets the puck on his stick-- he buries it. He also has an uncanny ability to go into a pack of players and maintain control of the puck.

He's just not flash and dash. So what. Neither is Lecalvier and he seems to be "okay"...

That's who Toews reminds me of, non of this Brind'amor crap. He plays like Lecalvier-- (dynamite shot + great strength on the puck + great vision) he just isn't quite as big. How that translates, we'll see.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 07:58 AM
mnhowitzer

Please sign him, Blackhawks. If Zajac and Stafford can play as well as they have this season there is no doubt Toews is more than ready, regardless of his age.

mnhowitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:20 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhowitzer View Post
Please sign him, Blackhawks. If Zajac and Stafford can play as well as they have this season there is no doubt Toews is more than ready, regardless of his age.
They have been trying to sign him. Tallon has said the ball is in Toews' court. If Toews wants to sign then he will, if he doesn't then he wont. It's as simple as that.

Old
04-23-2007, 08:15 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
I think the thing is when people think of Toews they immediately think of the 2-way forward thing and so people naturally assume that means that he isn't as good as say Backstrom or Kessel in the offensive zone.
Because he's not, at least based on the international games I have seen.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
Because he's not, at least based on the international games I have seen.
I guess you missed the last World Junior Tournament then because Toews was clearly the tournament's most valuable player, which was confirmed when the selection committee gave him the MVP award.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
PS:
For what it's worth, Jon Toews reminds me exactly of a young Ron Francis.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
TRVIPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
PS:
For what it's worth, Jon Toews reminds me exactly of a young Ron Francis.
Actually, I have read somewhere that comparison to Francis in an article about Toews,so you are not the only that thinks that.So I guess that makes it even more worthy.

Old
04-23-2007, 01:11 PM
TRVIPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Lecavalier NOT flash and dash?!?
I think fullmetalninja meant: He's not just flash and dash and accidently wrote : He's just not flash and dash.

If so then it would mean he was saying Lecavalier is not just flash and dash.

Old
04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Trust me, Toews is the best player for your team. He fits your mold and the whole system. The future looks bright with Barker, Toews and a projected 1st pick in Kane.

The only skeptism I have with Chicago is Goaltending.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2007, 07:52 PM
TRVIPERS

[QUOTE=fullmetalninja;9016131]The thing about Toews is that he doesn't have great speed. For that reason people don't see him as a bigtime offensive threat.

Well he may not have great speed but apparently he has good speed and has excellent acceleration.I have never actually heard that there was a knock on him for his skating ability.Usually when they say a prospect is a complete player,I would think that skating ability would be included in that analysis.

HF says:
Toews is a smooth powerful skater with good speed. While he may not be the fastest skater, he does utilize his skating ability quite well in driving relentlessly to the net and transitioning from offense to defense and vice versa.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan_toews

Central Scouting:

Possesses excellent acceleration, agility, quickness and is an extremely smart player who is versatile and has played both wing and center equally well this season.

Old
04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I guess you missed the last World Junior Tournament then because Toews was clearly the tournament's most valuable player, which was confirmed when the selection committee gave him the MVP award.

I still contend that he's not as skilled in the offensive zone as Bckstrm or Kessel, based on the games i've seen. Best overall player, thats a totally different thing.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:33 PM
AmishRenegade

Well he did score a goal today in Team Canada's exhibition game against Finland. Hopefully we get to see him play in the Worlds.

AmishRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
I don't see any reason why Toews should be questioned. This guy is a definite stud and is easily more valuable than Backstrom or Kessel because he has a solid 2-way game.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2007, 05:33 PM
boredmale

I think you can make an arguement for any of the 3 being picked 3rd. It will take at least 4-5 years before you can make any solid assessment who had the best pick.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2007, 03:33 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Personally I had the same decision to make, picking #3 after Johnson and Staal, and went with Toews... though I also had the #4 pick so took Backstrom as well

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
TRVIPERS

Well the way Toews has been playing, I would have to think that the Chicago organization have grins from ear to ear.Toews has been outstanding and everybody is noticing it. He has to be the most talked about guy on the Canadian team.
The top 5 prospects from the 2006 draft are playing in this tournament and Toews has arguably been the best of the bunch.

Old
05-08-2007, 06:12 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRVIPERS View Post
Well the way Toews has been playing, I would have to think that the Chicago organization have grins from ear to ear.Toews has been outstanding and everybody is noticing it. He has to be the most talked about guy on the Canadian team.
The top 5 prospects from the 2006 draft are playing in this tournament and Toews has arguably been the best of the bunch.
Just watch the games. I love Jordan Staal but who is the man for Team Canada at the worlds. It is the university guy, what's his name, oh yeah, Jonathan Toews. Chicago are either or good or just lucky with this guy, doesn't matter, he is the man!!!

So, now they need another guy with their no 1 pick to compliment Mr. Toews. I would go with Mr. Turris. With Mr. Havlat and Mr. Skille, hmm, this is starting to sound like a team that could inflict major damage. Yes!!!

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote