HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler prospects at WJC

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Allan

vCash: 500
Oiler prospects at WJC

I can only find Fredrik Johansson on the rosters I've come across. Are there any others? This is very disappointing.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:55 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
considering the oilers had two of their prospects screwed out of it is dissapointing.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
considering the oilers had two of their prospects screwed out of it is dissapointing.
Is the whining on the Oilers board any different from the whining on the other teams boards if their players get cut?

JDD has been good, but not hugely superior to Harding by any stretch. Brodziak made a good case for himself but maybe there were other roles that needed to be filled.

(Although I am disappointed, we don't pick the team, or see all the practices and games and intersquad games, how can anyone with reasonable mind say that someone got screwed?)

Old
12-16-2003, 08:02 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
sorry slats but its just the feeling i'm getting especially when JDD did get an unfair cut last year and again this year. He hasn't been superior to Harding fair enough, but can you say Harding has been better or as good as JDD?

Old
12-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Slats432

Quote:
sorry slats but its just the feeling i'm getting especially when JDD did get an unfair cut last year and again this year. He hasn't been superior to Harding fair enough, but can you say Harding has been better or as good as JDD?
But rabi...you have to look at it from the Non-Oiler point of view. Do you think that we should go over to the OHL boards and Q boards to hear them scream about 10 WHL guys making it?

If Durocher came out and said..."All things considered we took Harding because he was a WHLer and JDD was a Q goalie and we already had Fleury. Because I am from Quebec and the Western Canadian press would have given me backlash for taking two Q goalies and JDD was no better than Harding so all things considered equal, I took the WHL goalie. But on the other hand..I sent Brodziak and Perry and White, but kept Dixon and Talbot to even it up. They are from the Q. Actually when I think about it the OHL really got screwed this year...."

That wouldn't make it any better. Out of the 38 best hockey players in the country. We have a smattering of the best 22.

We have to forget we are Oiler fans and cheer the boys.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:12 AM
rabi_sultan

you go with the best and screw the politics. So basically was Harding/Ward better than JDD?

If no then they've made a cut for another reason than the on ice play

Old
12-16-2003, 08:30 AM
dem

The one player i really wanted to watch was Jesse Niinimaki.... stupid injuries

Old
12-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Slats432

Quote:
you go with the best and screw the politics. So basically was Harding/Ward better than JDD?

If no then they've made a cut for another reason than the on ice play
My point was that I am sure they took everything into consideration and for every Oilers guy that we feel slighted about, there is another team/league that feels slighted about someone else.(My commentary was sarcasm.)

I am sure that for the most part, the players deserving to be there are there. You could make a case for any number of players, at camp, or not even invited to camp.

Maybe the players kept were more defensively conscious. Maybe the role of Brodziak was already taken by someone else. Maybe Josh Harding has better rebound control and JDD had better reflexes. Maybe they had reasons for their decisions.

It is natural to question them though.

Old
12-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
The one player i really wanted to watch was Jesse Niinimaki.... stupid injuries
He was too old anyway. You have to be under 20 and Jesse is 20 now. I know, I asked him about it two weeks ago.

GuyF

Old
12-16-2003, 08:44 AM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
He was too old anyway. You have to be under 20 and Jesse is 20 now. I know, I asked him about it two weeks ago.

GuyF
Bah... already too old?
How quickly our little boys grow up :p

Old
12-16-2003, 08:59 AM
elphy101

The main frustration is that I love to watch the WJC tournament, having an Oilers prospect on the team like Brodziak would make it that much more exciting. Now there's no Oilers to pay special attention too. It takes some of the fun out of the World Juniors. Last year, it was interesting cheering for Helminen and Greene. A couple of years before that watching Rita score 9+ goals was also pretty cool. This year there is no one to watch.

And after watching the tryout game last night. I sure wish we had picked Getzlaf. Big, physical and what an amazing shot he has.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:40 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Maybe the players kept were more defensively conscious. Maybe the role of Brodziak was already taken by someone else. Maybe Josh Harding has better rebound control and JDD had better reflexes. Maybe they had reasons for their decisions.

It is natural to question them though.
The only thing I'm concerned with is the cutting of Kyle Brodziak. That's all really. I knew JDD had a good chance to get cut. But I really though Kyle did enough to make it.

If they were looking for a defensive third line, he was better than Talbot, Colliton, Dixon, etc. A playmaking center? When he played center with Tamby and Crosby, he set them up for two scoring chances which ended up in goals.

Now I know I'm probably not the most objective person to be talking about this since I'm an Oiler fan. But I guarantee that at the very least Brodziak outplayed both Colliton and Dixon who I beleive are still on the team. And he outplayed them by a LARGE margin. The prior two couldn't get anything done along the boards and were pushed around by the OUA dmen... They could not cycle and unnoticeable for both games. Very alarming to me at least because I thought Colliton in particular was a lock to be cut. He really played that poorly.

All in all. If Dixon/Colliton prove to be key contributors in a goal medal winning team... I'll congratulate them on it. But if they continue to play as they have been and Canada disappoints... well I won't be the first nor the last to say to the selection committee "I told you so."

Old
12-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Hemmer

I have ZERO problem with the selection of Harding. Any goaltender who is an MVP like he is has the ability to carry a team on his shoulders, which is what he would have to do if something (knock knock) happened to "The Anointed One". From what I can tell, JDD is one of those "buddha" goalies...kind of like Tommy...who just goes in and does his job, rises to the competition and doesn't get rattled. Harding is awfully competitive and emotional on the ice from what I saw, which can be a valuable asset for a goaltender under pressure. He's a battler...and I think he will be a fine backup. From an Oiler fan's point of view, it sucks that I don't get to watch Deslauriers sit on the bench while Fleury starts 9 straight, but ultimately, thats all he'd be doing.

No CLUE why they took Colliton over Brodziak. Actually...I have no clue why they took Mike Richards over Brodziak. Brodziak, Crosby and Meech were the best players on the ice last night IMO. This had to be "politically" motivated, as I can see no other reason for Brodziak being left out in favor of some of the other floaters I saw last night.

I said it at the start of the camp and will say it again now.

Canada will NOT win gold. Czech Republic will take it all home IMO. I will be suprised if we finish higher than 4th with this lineup.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:30 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

The annual wailing and knashing of teeth begins. It is a difficult, difficult process to select the best team for this tournament. Given the pick of the litter of Canadan's elite players, the process of building the best team is a no-win and thankless task. There will always be criticism and second guessing.

I'll now weigh in with my two cents regarding the Oiler prospects. Harding is a better goaltender than Deslauriers. Harding is an MVP goaltender and under somewhat similar team conditions has carried an average club. He is also more consistent than Deslauriers and imo a stronger technical goaltender. Harding is deserving.

Brodziak imo deserved a better fate. He was not invited to the August camp and earned a main camp invite due to stellar league play. Like many folks here, I felt Brodziak excelled in the scrimmage game and deserved a roster spot. It is a tough climb and Brodziak should gain immense confidence in raising his game to this level.

Choosing from and forming a team from the deepest talent pool is a difficult challenge. I've used the word team repeatedly because it is about talent, need, and fit. While many of us feel our boys deserved better, I hope we can all remember this is a truly difficult process and ultimately some one is left disatisfied. Tough decisions have been made and now it's GO TIME. Go Canada Go!!

Closed Thread