HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The OFFICIAL Aigles Bleus Thread

Old
03-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Is it true that Moncton is going open up the University Cup on Thursday night, instead of Friday night?
If so that is an interesting decision.
Moncton will not be in the same pool as the AUS Champ.
Les Aigles Bleus will be in a pool with CW champ.
Since both Alberta and Saskatchewan are ranked higher then either Brock or Mcgill who will decide the OUA. There stands a good chance that Moncton will face one of Alberta or Saskatchewan on the Thursday night.

Bob Stauffer
Team 1260 Edmonton

PS.

See ya in Moncton.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
kexodusc

Bob,

I've always wondered why the hosts seem to prefer opening on Friday instead of Thursday night? Seems that's almost always the case but I can't see much advantage? Is it simply gate-driven? One would think a team would rather play 3 games in 4 days instead of 3 games in 3 days?

kexodusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Alpine

Bought my University Cup tickets yesterday. Nothing left in lower bowl on the sides or behind the net on the zamboni entrance end (my fav seats at the Coliseum). Ended up in a corner. But yet the box office person told me ticket sales were slow and lots of tickets left?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
BlueEagle

Yeah thats what they said to me last year for the final game, "Oh there's plenty left!" I don't know if I remember right but that arena was pretty close to sold out...

On an other note, I was reading this months Hockey News and there was an article on Dean Ouellet, He said "My goal is to play pro, but if that doesn't work out I will go to University". He'd be a great addition to les Aigles bleus. So now tell me is this wishful thinking or is it possible that he could suit up for Moncton in the near future? I guess we'll find out at the draft.

BlueEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Alpine

More for 2008-09............
Moncton Beavers have announced that Remi Gautreau and Patrick Lockyer will be with les Aigles next year. Also nothing to do with UdeM but Beavers have also announced Corey Garland will be with Concordia Stingers.
Now if Aigles Bleus can only make some noise at the Nationals in a week

Last edited by Alpine: 03-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old
03-12-2008, 05:05 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEagle View Post
Yeah thats what they said to me last year for the final game, "Oh there's plenty left!" I don't know if I remember right but that arena was pretty close to sold out...
That's because about 2000 UNB fans decided they had to go along with the price gouging and pay too much for a single ticket to attend the final game!

David

FreddtFoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Bob,

I've always wondered why the hosts seem to prefer opening on Friday instead of Thursday night? Seems that's almost always the case but I can't see much advantage? Is it simply gate-driven? One would think a team would rather play 3 games in 4 days instead of 3 games in 3 days?
Last year, Moncton chose to start on Friday. They won the first game in regulation, won the second in second overtime, and had to go in overtime against UNB. They lost... It's stupid IMO to start on Friday...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2008, 06:22 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Yeah we are discussing that over at the University Cup thread....the same thing happened to UNB in 2004 when they hosted...they won Friday night against Ottawa relatively easily (7-3 I think), then had a hard fought overtime game against a previously undefeated Alberta team that they won 6-5 (arguably the best CIS hockey game I have ever seen) and then played an overtime game against St. FX (who started on Thursday I think not sure though) in the finals and lost 3-2 after building a 2-0 lead...I have to believe that playing on Fri/Sat/Sun was just too much for UNB by the end of the tournement...much the same way it was for Moncton last year.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
BlueEagle

WOO! Go aigles Bleus Go!

We may be underdogs but don't count us out just yet!!

Edit-I'll Keep Updating the score throughout the game

watching Via http://events.startcast.com/events/l...5-DB538677C236

- UdeM goal- Mathieu Betournay! 2 mins left in 1st

-Alberta Goal- (9 seconds into the 2nd)

-MONCTON GOALLL!!!!!!!!!! MANDEVILLE in overtime!

Last edited by BlueEagle: 03-20-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old
03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Alpine

A whole bad season, by Aigles standards can be whipped out with a win tonight. Nobody will remember the horrible playoffs against SMU or the 3rd place finish once they're in the Cup Final.
LET'S GO LES AIGLES.......LET'S GO LES AIGLES....LET'S GO LES AIGLES.

Old
03-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Rob

I took it for granted that Moncton was going to be in the final. I would have to call this a choke job.

Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
TomBull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I took it for granted that Moncton was going to be in the final. I would have to call this a choke job.
If Moncton choked, so did UNB in the finals.

TomBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:54 AM
kexodusc

There's no such thing as "choke" at the CIS tournament - in 1 game series anything can happen. McGill beat a good Moncton team and were the OU champions - losing to a good team is never a choke. Disappointing maybe. But choking is when you're a heavy dominant favorite and don't show up to play because of nerves or whatever.

I thought Moncton played hard and their fans should be proud. You gotta be good to get to the tournament, and lucky to win it. Moncton and UNB both outplayed and outshot their opponents and lost. Not much you can do about that.

That Sorochan is some kind of goalie. How long does he have left at UofA? That guy should get a serious shot at nothing less than an AHL contract if he's interested.

Old
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
No choke happened here on the Aigles Bleus part. Played a good game, just couldn't buy a goal.

Quote:
There's no such thing as "choke" at the CIS tournament - in 1 game series anything can happen. McGill beat a good Moncton team and were the OU champions - losing to a good team is never a choke. Disappointing maybe. But choking is when you're a heavy dominant favorite and don't show up to play because of nerves or whatever.

I thought Moncton played hard and their fans should be proud. You gotta be good to get to the tournament, and lucky to win it. Moncton and UNB both outplayed and outshot their opponents and lost. Not much you can do about that.

That Sorochan is some kind of goalie. How long does he have left at UofA? That guy should get a serious shot at nothing less than an AHL contract if he's interested.
I'm very proud of the team. Very proud. No one gave us a lick of a chance against U of A and we beat them! At least we can brag that we're the only team in the nation to beat the two best teams in the country this year.

The guys played good against McGill, just couldn't buy a goal. Mathieu Poitras was playing his last game as a Redmen and I guess he figured he'd go out with a bang, and he did.

And yeah, Sorochan is a heck of a goalie. I'm still surprised he didn't get tournament MVP, I was talking with a few journalists after the game last night and the general consensus was that there were a few bizarre choices for the All Star teams and the MVP hehehe. I believe he's in his 3rd year at U of A.

So.... is it October yet? Gonna be a long summer, yet again

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Alpine

Some news on Aigles recruiting brought to you by the T&T:
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/269515

Old
04-16-2008, 07:36 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Some news on Aigles recruiting brought to you by the T&T:
http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/269515
Also an interesting article in L'Acadie Nouvelle...
Ouellet doesn't seem terribly interested in university hockey.

Last edited by kexodusc: 04-16-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
timbitca

Nope, but that doesn't come as a total surprise to me... Kind of hard to expect a guy who finished in the top of the scoring race in the Q to jump to the AUS instead of giving the Pro's a chance. Let's just hope he doesn't finish rotting in the ECHL like so many others...

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Bernier26

Recruiting update

Moncton has confirmed the signing of six players today:

-Alexandre Soucy, a talented defenceman who was the playoff MVP in the junior A Maritime league. He had 19 points in 16 playoff games and had 59 points in 54 games. It was reported that a few other AUS teams where interested in him.
-Marc-André Côté, a forward from the Val-d'Or Foreurs, who had 66 points in 70 games this season.
-Guillaume Parenteau, brother of prospect Pierre-Alexandre, who had 122 points in 52 games in the Quebec Junior AAA league. His father was a really good player for the Aigles Bleus during the 80's.
-Francis Marchand, who had 116 points in 52 games in the Quebec Junior AAA league.
-Pat Lockyer, who had 62 points in 55 games for the Moncton Beavers of the LHJAM.
-Rémi Gautreau, who had 74 points in 53 games for the Moncton Beavers of the LHJAM. He played seven games for UdeM last year.

In other great news, defenceman Jules Melanson got accepted into the Medicine at UdeM, meaning he will likely return next year and will likely play the maximum of 5 years.

And finally some rumors, Dean Ouellet will play for UdeM if he goes the university route next year. A few other blue-chip players are in town visiting UdeM, but this happens every year.

Last edited by Bernier26: 05-21-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Bernier26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier26 View Post
Moncton has confirmed the signing of six players today:

-Alexandre Soucy, a talented defenceman who was the playoff MVP in the junior A Maritime league. He had 19 points in 16 playoff games and had 59 points in 54 games. It was reported that a few other AUS teams where interested in him.
-Marc-André Côté, a forward from the Val-d'Or Foreurs, who had 66 points in 70 games this season.
-Guillaume Parenteau, brother of prospect Pierre-Alexandre, who had 122 points in 52 games in the Quebec Junior AAA league. His father was a really good player for the Aigles Bleus during the 80's.
-Francis Marchand, who had 116 points in 52 games in the Quebec Junior AAA league.
-Pat Lockyer, who had 62 points in 55 games for the Moncton Beavers of the LHJAM.
-Rémi Gautreau, who had 74 points in 53 games for the Moncton Beavers of the LHJAM. He played seven games for UdeM last year.

In other great news, defenceman Jules Melanson got accepted into the Medicine at UdeM, meaning he will likely return next year and will likely play the maximum of 5 years.

And finally some rumors, Dean Ouellet will play for UdeM if he goes the university route next year. A few other blue-chip players are in town visiting UdeM, but this happens every year.
The Lockyer , Gautreau (he played some games wlth Aigles last season) were announced last season by the Beavers.
Although it's great the local players are committed as well a Soucy from Edmundston. I believe but don't quote me that Soucy was attending Universite Ste-Anne (nearby Yarmouth) whilst playing with the Mariners.
Do I see a reliance on too many Junior A players instead of Major Junior players here?
Word out of Woodstock Slammers is that forward Mitch Price and goaltender Ben MacFarlane have committed to STU and that forward Dan Dooley is going to Brock and defenceman Patrick Campbell to OUA's Guelph. So a few Junior A players going to CIS

Last edited by Alpine: 05-22-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old
05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Bernier26

Aigles Bleus signs 2 top players

Moncton has signed forward Dean Ouellet et defenceman Jean-Phillip Paquet. Both where the captains of their former Q teams. For coach Robert Mongrain, these two signings represent the turning point in the reconstruction of the Aigles Bleus.

Dean Ouellet had 43 goals and 97 points last season with the Cap-Breton Screaming Eagles and finished 5th in league scoring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mongrain
He's the type of player that doesn't come every year in university hockey. We know that he will have an immediate impact with us

Jean-Phillip Paquet had 40 points in 66 games last year. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 6th round(194th overall) of the 2005 draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mongrain
We had eight 20 year old defencemans on our list and his name was on top. He's a guy who's good at both end of the ice and can be used in all situations.

Old
05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernier26 View Post
Moncton has signed forward Dean Ouellet et defenceman Jean-Phillip Paquet. Both where the captains of their former Q teams. For coach Robert Mongrain, these two signings represent the turning point in the reconstruction of the Aigles Bleus.

Dean Ouellet had 43 goals and 97 points last season with the Cap-Breton Screaming Eagles and finished 5th in league scoring.

Jean-Phillip Paquet had 40 points in 66 games last year. He was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 6th round(194th overall) of the 2005 draft.
That's two pretty solid pickups and should soften losing Strozynksi, Laprise, and Mandeville on offence somewhat. I dunno if we'll ever see another Mandeville in the AUS, what's he doing next year anyway?

Oddly enough, Ouellet was rumoured to be coming to UNB with Jordan Clendenning but looks like Moncton sniped him, if indeed he does follow through and play CIS hockey. If Cam Fergus is any benchmark, he should be good for 30-35 pts this year. Not shabby by any stretch.

What's the goalie situation?

Old
05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
BlueEagle

Quote:
On an other note, I was reading this months Hockey News and there was an article on Dean Ouellet, He said "My goal is to play pro, but if that doesn't work out I will go to University". He'd be a great addition to les Aigles bleus. So now tell me is this wishful thinking or is it possible that he could suit up for Moncton in the near future? I guess we'll find out at the draft.
Sweet! It did happen, Got to give credit to Moncton for reeling him in, I'm sure we weren't the only ones after Dean. Good to see a good ol' hometown boy with the aigles. This could go on to be a BIG signing for Moncton.

Old
05-26-2008, 12:07 PM
kexodusc

Quote:
Sweet! It did happen, Got to give credit to Moncton for reeling him in, I'm sure we weren't the only ones after Dean. Good to see a good ol' hometown boy with the aigles. This could go on to be a BIG signing for Moncton.
We'll see what happens. Committing in the CIS is pretty much the same as saying "I'll accept what your offering but only show up if nothing better comes along in the meantime". Moncton and UNB both lost some high profile recruits to pro-options once they tried-out and made the teams they wanted to play for last year.

Old
05-26-2008, 01:38 PM
nicholson

Is there a commitment date for CIS?

Friday's T and T had this article about U de M recruiting :

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/304671

Can anyone explain to me about this statement?

"Aigles Bleus have already inked five new recruits and as many as four more could be announced after Monday's final commitment date expires."

I know that players don't have to honour any commitment they have made in the summer, so what does this date, today presumably, mean if anything?

nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Bernier26

Quote:
We'll see what happens. Committing in the CIS is pretty much the same as saying "I'll accept what your offering but only show up if nothing better comes along in the meantime". Moncton and UNB both lost some high profile recruits to pro-options once they tried-out and made the teams they wanted to play for last year.
The difference is that Ouellet and Paquet signed with Moncton, instead of committing. The only way they can break their contract is if they sign in the AHL. Last year, we only lost Chris Gaudet who had committed. There was an article about Ouellet in this morning's Acadie Nouvelle where he mentions how excited he is to play for UdeM. There's a chance that he goes to the AHL but it's still looking way better than your typical star committing to university hockey.