HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mac T leaving to be a GM???

Old
04-02-2007, 09:57 AM
bleed_oil

vCash: 500
Possible replacements include
-Dave Semenko
-Floyd Whitney
-Barry Fraser
-Bucky
-Ronny Lowe being promoted from trainer to coach

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:09 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I alone in wanting Mess?

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
-Dave Semenko
-Floyd Whitney
-Barry Fraser
-Bucky
I think you mean Ken Lowe? Ron Low coached the Oilers in the late '90s.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:34 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I think you mean Ken Lowe? Ron Low coached the Oilers in the late '90s.
oops, youre right thats Kenny Lowe. I would'nt mind Ron as much he loved physical play....

Old
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
oops, youre right thats Kenny Lowe. I would'nt mind Ron as much he loved physical play....
Yeah, but he could barely get his team into the playoffs.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Yeah, but he could barely get his team into the playoffs.
As opposed to who?
I think thats a common theme with this organization since 1990

Old
04-02-2007, 11:02 AM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
As opposed to who?
Ron Low isn't exacty a Jack Adams winner, but at least the Oilers scaped into the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Under Lowe & MacT, the Oilers have not qualified for the playoffs in back-to-back seasons.

On the flip side, the Oilers haven't missed the playoffs in back-to-back season under the current regime, so we will have playoff hockey in Edmonton next season.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:06 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
As opposed to who?
Why does it have to be someone from within the organization? There are other coaches around looking for jobs.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Why does it have to be someone from within the organization? There are other coaches around looking for jobs.
Dudes I'm joking, I would drop the Old Boys Club (capitalized for proper admission of respecT) in a hearbeat.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
-Dave Semenko
-Floyd Whitney
-Barry Fraser
-Bucky
You left off Joey Moss.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
rprice92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Why? What has he done in the past, say... 10 years?
consistently made the playoffs

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
I heard Jussi Markkanen is going to retire and be the new coach.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Tendencyman

vCash: 586
It is a good news. How about Adam Oates? He is talented, and work well with youth.

Tendencyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:37 PM
oilerfanatic

i feel for the team mac-t would manage...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Southern Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
i feel for the team mac-t would manage...
Ah come on! What's wrong with a whole team of Toby Petersons

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:08 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Oil View Post
Ah come on! What's wrong with a whole team of Toby Petersons
Just think of what we could get by trading Peterson to MacT's new team!

Old
04-02-2007, 02:10 PM
bleed_oil

MacT takes over as GM of Pittsburgh
Oilers trade TobyP and Thoreson
for
Crosby, Staal, Malkin, a 1st rounder Georges Laroque

Old
04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Well he's not going to Atlanta, Don Waddell saved his job when Atlanta clinched a playoff spot yesterday.

Phoenix, Columbus, or Philly maybe, they would need GMs.

I understand that alot people don't like Mac-T, but I am I the only one who thinks "Good For Him"? He's worked hard, learnt the business and now he's getting his chance to run a franchise, good or bad, it would be a nice step up in the world for him.

As far as replacements go, Pat Burns would be at the top of my list. Pat Quinn would be near the bottom. Maybe Moores?

I don't know, either way if it happens, it's going to make things tougher fro next season.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
can you tell me how exactly has New Jersey drafted soo well all the time ? just currious, especially since 2000. As well since 2000 how the hell has the Wings drafting been better than the Oilers ?
It's a common opinion around the league that those two teams have great scouting staffs.

NJD - Guerin, Brodeur, S Niedermayer, Rolston, Gator, Brylin, Morrison, Elias, Souray, Sykora, Mason, Gomez, Gionta, Van Ryn, Parise, Zajac.. Most of whom seriously contributed or still are contributing to their team today. I can see what you're saying "since 2000", but just because they hit a little dry spell doesn't mean they aren't one of the highest caliber scouting staffs in the world.

It's difficult to evaluate Detroit, as they've had TWO first round picks since 99, but..

Kronwall - 29th Datsyuk - 171 Zetterberg - 210 Franzen - 97

I'd say they've done pretty well with what they've had. I'll take those four over Hemsky, Stoll, Greene, Pouliot - our 4 'best' picks in the same time DET took their four guys.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
It's difficult to evaluate Detroit, as they've had TWO first round picks since 99, but..

I'd say they've done pretty well with what they've had. I'll take those four over Hemsky, Stoll, Greene, Pouliot - our 4 'best' picks in the same time DET took their four guys.
I'll give you Dats and Z (though I'd take Hemsky and Stoll in the playoffs over Dats in the playoffs every day of the week and twice on Sunday), but Kronwall and Franzen?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
It's a common opinion around the league that those two teams have great scouting staffs.

NJD - Guerin, Brodeur, S Niedermayer, Rolston, Gator, Brylin, Morrison, Elias, Souray, Sykora, Mason, Gomez, Gionta, Van Ryn, Parise, Zajac.. Most of whom seriously contributed or still are contributing to their team today. I can see what you're saying "since 2000", but just because they hit a little dry spell doesn't mean they aren't one of the highest caliber scouting staffs in the world.

Ahh so then the same ideas can be used, I mean Sather did well for a while, then hit a "dry spell". I love how people seem to lump the Oilers Sather and Lowe era scouting all together fact is since Lowe and Prendergast have taken over they have been one of the better drafting teams in the league. Like I said before during the Lowe era Detriot drafted Franzen and Hudler, as well Detriot has had one amazing draft year (89) and have hit a couple home runs late and that is it so I fail to see how they are such a great drafting team. The ONLY thing they are is a team that found a niche and put the resourses into it. As for New Jersey what have they done since they had their last good run in 98 where they got Gionta, Van Ryn, and Gomez ? they have had TWO meaningful pics since then Parise and Martin. They were great from 90-95 but that is it, so how can they still be considered one of the best ?

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:

That's not right. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were picked in 98-99 and all of the Oilers players were picked in 2001-2003. If you go by the same time period then Detroit's players are Flippula, Hudler, and Franzen.

Barring the two back to back flukes in Datsyuk and Zetterberg the Wings haven't drafted that well at all since the early 90s. I mean look at this stretch of first round picks.

1991-Lapointe
Bowen
Eriksson
Golubovsky
Kzunetsov
Wallin
Butsayev
Fischer

8 first round picks in a row. 2 disappointments. 6 busts.

Last edited by Bank Shot: 04-03-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'll give you Dats and Z (though I'd take Hemsky and Stoll in the playoffs over Dats in the playoffs every day of the week and twice on Sunday), but Kronwall and Franzen?
Not saying they're impact players, just defending the fact that DET drafts better than us. In the time we drafted the players I listed, DET got them. Kronwall is going to be a stud, and Franzen is a solid 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

To get another opinion - do you think that NJ and DET have some of the best scouts in the league? That was my original point.

Old
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
That's not right. Zetterberg and Datsyuk were picked in 98-99 and all of the Oilers players were picked in 2001-2003. If you go by the same time period then Detroit's players are Flippula, Hudler, and Franzen.
By the same time, I meant since then, not in the same years.

Old
04-03-2007, 12:48 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
Ahh so then the same ideas can be used, I mean Sather did well for a while, then hit a "dry spell". I love how people seem to lump the Oilers Sather and Lowe era scouting all together fact is since Lowe and Prendergast have taken over they have been one of the better drafting teams in the league. Like I said before during the Lowe era Detriot drafted Franzen and Hudler, as well Detriot has had one amazing draft year (89) and have hit a couple home runs late and that is it so I fail to see how they are such a great drafting team. The ONLY thing they are is a team that found a niche and put the resourses into it. As for New Jersey what have they done since they had their last good run in 98 where they got Gionta, Van Ryn, and Gomez ? they have had TWO meaningful pics since then Parise and Martin. They were great from 90-95 but that is it, so how can they still be considered one of the best ?
How can we be considered one of the best? Pretty difficult question to answer, dont you think?

Drafting is an inexact science as we all know. It's really tough to say who's best, but IMO (and the opinion of most 'experts' around the league), those two teams - NJ in particular - are solid when it comes to scouting. I agree that DET's homeruns with Dat/Z are tough to give much credit to, because if they really knew about these guys, why didn't they take them in the 2nd-3rd rounds.

I'm not going to sit here and research through drafts and stats and all that because quite frankly, I don't have time and don't really care. The fact is that over the last decade or so, the Oilers have had much higher picks than NJ/DET, yet they've ended up with the better players (which is debatable, fine). Truth is that history has shown they're better than most when it comes to drafting, and I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a few of their scouts - which was all my original point was.

As for your discredit to NJ, I look at the fact that they continue to bring in players who contribute to their team directly from the draft. Year after year. You can't gague correctly over the last few years, as some guys take time. I never said anything about the last 5 years, I said in general - NJ drafts well all the time. How does our list look compared to the one I gave for NJ? Doesn't even come remotely close. I don't care which regime, which era, my point is that NJ knows what they're doing.