HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mac T leaving to be a GM???

Old
04-03-2007, 01:48 PM
gr8haluschak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
Not saying they're impact players, just defending the fact that DET drafts better than us. In the time we drafted the players I listed, DET got them. Kronwall is going to be a stud, and Franzen is a solid 3rd liner with 2nd line upside.

To get another opinion - do you think that NJ and DET have some of the best scouts in the league? That was my original point.
no they don't maybe 10 years ago they did but now hell no. By your reasoning the Oilers were one of the best scouts in the league as well then since they had a great run during the 80's. Tell me what Detroit has done since other teams have decided to hone in on recently Sweden (like Vancouver) and earlier on Russia ? The Wings were the best team at looking outside the box, finding that region and exposing it. Once again since Lowe and Prendergast came on tell me how Detriot and New Jersey have drafted better than us, fact it they have not. Hemsky is miles ahead of both of those teams best draft pick and Stoll is forsure miles ahead of Franzen, and better than Martin, Parise and Hudler. I have not even gone intl the fact that we have had more players on our roster than they have (Jussi, Greene, and Pouliot).

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
no they don't maybe 10 years ago they did but now hell no. By your reasoning the Oilers were one of the best scouts in the league as well then since they had a great run during the 80's. Tell me what Detroit has done since other teams have decided to hone in on recently Sweden (like Vancouver) and earlier on Russia ? The Wings were the best team at looking outside the box, finding that region and exposing it. Once again since Lowe and Prendergast came on tell me how Detriot and New Jersey have drafted better than us, fact it they have not. Hemsky is miles ahead of both of those teams best draft pick and Stoll is forsure miles ahead of Franzen, and better than Martin, Parise and Hudler. I have not even gone intl the fact that we have had more players on our roster than they have (Jussi, Greene, and Pouliot).
I'm sorry, but I'm just going to stop you right there.. Hemsky miles ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg? On what planet? Gionta, Parise, Gomez too? Is that what you're saying? Come on..

How long have Lowe and co been on board? I just said, you can not judge the drafts over the last 5 years effectively. It's too damn early. I think an effective sample is 5-15 years ago. Most of those guys are in the league now and we pretty much know what we're going to get from them. Hence my sample from NJ. You really can't evaluate Lowe's scouting staff for another few years.

Do we actually have more players on our roster that we've drafted than NJ? I really didn't think so. I'm gone for the day so if you'd like to get into that, I'd be interested. I'm not trying to be an *******, I'm serious. That's one thing I base my argument on, that NJ has had WAY more contributors over the last few years than us. Jussi, Greene, Pouliot... I'd say Parise, Zajac, Martin have had a bit more impact than our guys.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOil83 View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm just going to stop you right there.. Hemsky miles ahead of Datsyuk and Zetterberg? On what planet? Gionta, Parise, Gomez too? Is that what you're saying? Come on..

How long have Lowe and co been on board? I just said, you can not judge the drafts over the last 5 years effectively. It's too damn early. I think an effective sample is 5-15 years ago. Most of those guys are in the league now and we pretty much know what we're going to get from them. Hence my sample from NJ. You really can't evaluate Lowe's scouting staff for another few years.

Do we actually have more players on our roster that we've drafted than NJ? I really didn't think so. I'm gone for the day so if you'd like to get into that, I'd be interested. I'm not trying to be an *******, I'm serious. That's one thing I base my argument on, that NJ has had WAY more contributors over the last few years than us. Jussi, Greene, Pouliot... I'd say Parise, Zajac, Martin have had a bit more impact than our guys.
It seems like you're contradicting yourself. On one hand you're saying any draft pick in the past 5 years is too early to judge effectively, yet you have no problem throwing Lowe's picks under the bus and comparing them to guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, guys that were drafted in '98 and '99.

And Zajac may be an '04 draft, but he's only 1 year younger than Hemsky. Which player would you rather have?

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101 View Post
I dunno about Quinn.... something about him and edm doesn't make much sense. I'd give it a shot mind you ... but doesn't feel right does it?

No thx to Ward. Didn't impress me much with the RR's.

How about pulled Hunter from London. He's done a good job over there. Would be a fantasic Assistant in the least.
Hunter owns the Knights and uses his money to buy the best available talent and stock his team. It's not like he's prepping to be a head coach in the NHL, he's having fun with his toy.

shawnmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 09:03 PM
BleedOil83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
It seems like you're contradicting yourself. On one hand you're saying any draft pick in the past 5 years is too early to judge effectively, yet you have no problem throwing Lowe's picks under the bus and comparing them to guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, guys that were drafted in '98 and '99.

And Zajac may be an '04 draft, but he's only 1 year younger than Hemsky. Which player would you rather have?
You misunderstood me entirely. If you read the post(s) I was directly responding to each time, you'll see what exactly I'm replying to.

I never threw Lowe's picks under the bus, I was only defending my original idea which was the fact that NJ and DET typically have drafted better than us. I've no idea why you're using Zajac and Hemsky as comparables, and while I may have stated it a couple times, the number I came up with - 5 years - was in no way meant to be exact. Obviously there are exceptions, are we not supposed to call Crosby and AO superstars until their 5th year? I simply stated that 5 was an "effective" number. All I have to say about the matter futher is this: How many (future) star players have the three teams produced that are currently in their lineup?

NJ - Gomez, Brodeur, Elias, Parise
DET - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom
EDM - Hemsky (Smyth)

.. but I'm done with this, I really don't feel like arguing over something that was somehow misunderstood as an attack on Lowe's scouting staff. We draft just fine (now), I just want a few guys who can pick out a diamond in the rough, steal us a guy like Lidstrom or Elias in the 3rd round.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote