HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The "C" next year

Old
04-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Gman7191

vCash: 500
The "C" next year

Many people have tlaked about Dallas Drake being let go. If Drake is not with the Blues next year who should wear the C.? I personally think Jackman should wear it, but I honeslty have no clue.

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:29 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I don't think anybody not on crack has talked about Drake being let go. Many people have discussed the possibility that he will retire, but I'm going with approximately zero chance that the Blues will cut him loose. What kind of organization releases their captain?

If he does retire, which no one other than random yahoo fans have discussed, then it's either Jackman or Weight. Slight chance for Jammer, who would be my pick just from a fan's standpoint. After that, I'd choose Jackman. I'd love to see how he'd perform with that kind of responsibility. But I think it'd actually be Weight.

I guess the other possibility is that Drake remains with the team, but due to injury or other circumstances, hands over the captaincy and becomes an alternate captain when he's in the lineup. Weight with the C, Jackman, Drake, McKee, and Mayers as potential A's.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
execwrite

Drake won't be back next year. Everyone can see that he's finished.

Jackman sounds like the right choice for captain. Give it to a younger guy who will be here for a while.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
The question is, do we give it to Jackman now or in two or three years when Weight retires?

I think people underrate Weight's leadership. Night in and Night out shift after shift he's giving it all he's got. Just like Jackman, he's leaving it all on the rink. He switched to the wing for the team.

Then again Im not in the lockerroom or at practices, does Weight influence the emotion that is needed for the C? The question is, who deserves it?

Exciting stuff none the less. Given Weight's senority and Jackman's youth, I'd think either would be a perfect choice. IMO, we can't go wrong here, with either or them.

Senor Rational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:53 AM
BlueBleeder

Jackman or Weight

Mayers gets the other A.

BlueBleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:13 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Drake won't be back next year. Everyone can see that he's finished.

Jackman sounds like the right choice for captain. Give it to a younger guy who will be here for a while.
I agree. I would consider Weight as the other choice...but I don't want to give it to a guy that is 36 year old that will only have it for a couple more years.

Lets give it to a 26 year old that can hold it for 10 to 15 years.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 12:42 PM
2ForRoughing*

Weight will get the C, Jackman and Mayers the A's.

2ForRoughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Gman7191

what happens if we sign someone like drury or another UFA who has the ability to wear an A or even the C. What happens then?

Gman7191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman7191 View Post
what happens if we sign someone like drury or another UFA who has the ability to wear an A or even the C. What happens then?
With the leaders we have on the roster now....you don't dare give it too ANYONE you sign over the summer. I don't care if Yzerman (just an example) comes out of retirement to play with us....you give it to one of the guys who fought through these two seasons.

Personally, I'd love to see Jackman get the 'C', tough young defenseman who should be here for years to come. A captain who will remain with the team for 10+ years is who we need to build this team with.

DaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Trouble

I would also like to see the big C go to Jacks. He is tough and more than willing to stick up for his teammates. He is also really starting to become a great passer and is starting to develop some impressive puck control, especially out of our own zone. In fact, I really believe he has the best breakout pass among all of our defensemen. It is not an accident that his assists have been piling up lately.

Not to take anything away from Mayers, but Jacks is more important to this team.

Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 06:02 PM
dao256

Weight for a few years, then Jax

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:25 PM
InjunSteve
CARL WINSLOW!

Send a message via AIM to InjunSteve
i actually think it should be mayers for a couple years, then jackman; with weight being the last A. however i think it will be weight then jackman, thats if drake is not with the team. either way there are only 3 real canidates for the job, mckee has little chance as he hasnt played much, brewer would be one but his play until recent was pretty damn bad.

InjunSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Hoosier96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I don't think anybody not on crack has talked about Drake being let go. Many people have discussed the possibility that he will retire, but I'm going with approximately zero chance that the Blues will cut him loose. What kind of organization releases their captain?
Anaheim Mighty Ducks

I'm in favor of Weight taking it as well.
Jackman A1
Tkachuk A2
(void a Walt return) Mayers A2

Hoosier96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
c-carp

I would give it to Mayers, he is definatly a leader and your Captain doesnt always have to be your best player. Jackman or Weight would be good choices as well.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
I agree. I would consider Weight as the other choice...but I don't want to give it to a guy that is 36 year old that will only have it for a couple more years.

Lets give it to a 26 year old that can hold it for 10 to 15 years.
I'm with you on this one. This 26 year old happens to be Jackman.

Sponsored by "The Jackman for Captain" campaign.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Hoosier96

I don't think Mayers would be good for the captaincy for the same reason that it has become apparent that Drake wasn't that good of a choice- he may not be around for all that long. He is a face of the franchise, this is true, but he's a lot like Drake in many ways- he just re-signed w/ the Blues but he may be out at any point- same w/ Drake is I think.

Old
04-03-2007, 07:22 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier96 View Post
I don't think Mayers would be good for the captaincy for the same reason that it has become apparent that Drake wasn't that good of a choice- he may not be around for all that long. He is a face of the franchise, this is true, but he's a lot like Drake in many ways- he just re-signed w/ the Blues but he may be out at any point- same w/ Drake is I think.

1) The reason Drake may leave is because he simply doesn't have the gas to play a full season anymore, and certainly not at the level he's accustomed to playing at.
It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his capabilities as Captain. Drake was as good a C as any other we've had in recent memory(with the exception of Al's year with the C). You absolutely CANNOT question Drake's heart or leadership ability.

As for your comparisson; Jammer is only 32. His situation and Drake's are nothing at all alike. Jammer still has at least 3-4 good years left in him. I'm not in favor of giving Jammer the C(you lead best by "leading by example" and for that reason a grinder simply cannot relate to a goal scorer or finesse player; your Captain needs to be able to light a fire under the KEY players on the team, not just the secondary players or youngsters; that is why players like Stevens, Messier, Yzerman and MacInnis are considered "the best" leaders of all time while the Drakes, Salvador's and Jammer's are forgotten after a time); but your reasoning here is VERY flawed. We just made a 3 year comitment to Jammer and there is no reason to think he'll retire in middle of his contract like Draker might. The only way he goes ANYWHERE is if somebody goes stupid and offers us a 1st round pick for him. Jammer will be here AT LEAST 3 more years. That may not be a "long term" fix for the Captaincy but I certainly wouldn't call it "short term". Again; your reasoning on this is VERY flawed.

2) Personally(and a lot of you will say I'm jumping the gun here), I think it's just a matter of time before EJ is named Captain. It wouldn't shock me one bit if he gets the C at the same age Pronger got his. JD is already hyping EJ up as the "future" of this team and I don't think they'll wait too long until they say "the future is here". You'll probably see Weight wear the C for next year; and then maybe another 1 year Captain(McKee maybe?) before they hand the reigns to EJ.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Hoosier96

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
1) The reason Drake may leave is because he simply doesn't have the gas to play a full season anymore, and certainly not at the level he's accustomed to playing at.
It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his capabilities as Captain. Drake was as good a C as any other we've had in recent memory(with the exception of Al's year with the C). You absolutely CANNOT question Drake's heart or leadership ability.

As for your comparisson; Jammer is only 32. His situation and Drake's are nothing at all alike. Jammer still has at least 3-4 good years left in him. I'm not in favor of giving Jammer the C(you lead best by "leading by example" and for that reason a grinder simply cannot relate to a goal scorer or finesse player; your Captain needs to be able to light a fire under the KEY players on the team, not just the secondary players or youngsters; that is why players like Stevens, Messier, Yzerman and MacInnis are considered "the best" leaders of all time while the Drakes, Salvador's and Jammer's are forgotten after a time); but your reasoning here is VERY flawed. We just made a 3 year comitment to Jammer and there is no reason to think he'll retire in middle of his contract like Draker might. The only way he goes ANYWHERE is if somebody goes stupid and offers us a 1st round pick for him. Jammer will be here AT LEAST 3 more years. That may not be a "long term" fix for the Captaincy but I certainly wouldn't call it "short term". Again; your reasoning on this is VERY flawed.

2) Personally(and a lot of you will say I'm jumping the gun here), I think it's just a matter of time before EJ is named Captain. It wouldn't shock me one bit if he gets the C at the same age Pronger got his. JD is already hyping EJ up as the "future" of this team and I don't think they'll wait too long until they say "the future is here". You'll probably see Weight wear the C for next year; and then maybe another 1 year Captain(McKee maybe?) before they hand the reigns to EJ.

First of all, I never questioned his CAPABILITY as being our captain- simply that he wasn't the smartest choice ONLY and for this reason only, because he could leave or hit empty any year. You said Jammer having "3 or 4 more years" and thats EXACTLY what I was saying- 3-4 years isn't hardly anything.

In any case its not a critical issue b/c no matter what there will always be someone to take over.

Old
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

If I am picking a leader for this team, as it is right now I am picking Doug Weight. If Drake retires, I say give it to Weight for next year. Jackman as the 1st A and I'd actually like to see Stempniak with an A. He's becoming a very important part of this team.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 05:33 PM
MU_Beerman

I agree Stempy isn't too far out of this conversation, a thinking man's guy and he's the 'sniper' if there is one, but definitely not him before Jax, he's the heart and soul. I think Dougie is clearly the main leader th this point, however. And he's playing like it, look how much better he's been (on ice and statsheet) since Walt and Billy left.

MU_Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Checker*

Well, Brewer has already beaten the piss out of Matt Cooke, if he does the same to Tootoo on Thursday, he deserves a reward.

Ok, not really, but I can't stress enough how much I want to see someone dent Tootoo's face by the end of the year. My picks are Weight for captain with Jackman and Mayers with the As

Checker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 09:44 AM
StLooFrenchy

Weight - C
Jax - A
Jammer - A

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
IF Drake retires, I say we go into the season with three A's. That way, you don't disrespect Weight's seniority in the league by giving it to Jackman. You also don't alienate Jackman (who must know that he's been pegged for the C since he came into the league) by giving it to Weight. Not that either of them would feel that way as both are classy indiviuals.

I almost want to roll the third A from game to game just to see what other players on the team can do in a role that requires them to show a little more leadership. I know that's unlikely so I think you give the third A to Jammer.

DrVanntastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 12:12 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noteman View Post
IF Drake retires, I say we go into the season with three A's. That way, you don't disrespect Weight's seniority in the league by giving it to Jackman. You also don't alienate Jackman (who must know that he's been pegged for the C since he came into the league) by giving it to Weight. Not that either of them would feel that way as both are classy indiviuals.

I almost want to roll the third A from game to game just to see what other players on the team can do in a role that requires them to show a little more leadership. I know that's unlikely so I think you give the third A to Jammer.
I know you're heart's in the right place Noteman, but Weight has always been a team-first guy. He will not be upset or feel disrespected. In fact, he will want Coach Murray to give it to a young guy.

I know what you're saying though dude. Every organization needs that one person to look to for leadership. Whether it is a CEO of a major corporation or an infantry platoon commander (2nd Lieutenant), everyone needs to feel "taken care of". (Although, I am sure we can find some successful exceptions)

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
I would give it to Weight.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote