HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Matheson article: Some draft info

Old
04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

vCash: 500
Jim Matheson article: Some draft info

Will Oilers get lucky at No. 6?

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a6af6ed4ae&p=1

Quote:
The top three players in the 2007 draft are Pat Kane, Kyle Turris and Jakub Voracek, not necessarily in that order. The Oilers probably won't get a shot at them: Kane is a winger and OHL scoring champ from London; Turris is a junior A centre from Burnaby, who one scout said "is like Ales Hemsky, but shoots more"; and
Quote:
"I'd say this draft crop is a lot like 2002 (from a depth standpoint) only the top three that year -- Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen and Jay Bouwmeester -- are better than anybody this year," said Kevin Prendergast, who heads up the Oilers scouting roster.

In 2002, Pierre-Marc Bouchard was selected eighth, Keith Ballard went 11th, Alexander Semin 13th, Chris Higgins 14th, Alex Steen 24th and Cam Ward was the No. 25 pick.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:03 PM
CallMeWalter

Lucky at 6?

I'm guessing the Oilers will pull a Swiss Miss II and try to get lucky at No. 6 with Roman Schlagenhauf . . .

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:07 PM
hfboardsuser

You know what? I would not be surprised if we took the best Swiss player available, Luca Cunti.

He or Billy Sweatt are your typical Oiler picks. But Sweatt may not fall to us- some scouts like him enough to rank him in top two/three.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
You know what? I would not be surprised if we took the best Swiss player available, Luca Cunti.

He or Billy Sweatt are your typical Oiler picks. But Sweatt may not fall to us- some scouts like him enough to rank him in top two/three.
Yeah, i was endorsing him earlier in the year, but again got shot down because alot of people hated his attitude (how many players have that slapped on them)?, i do hope we can snag him in the late rounds, my ideal draft:

Turris
Petrecki
Katic

Cunti
Nash

Thoughts??

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
hfboardsuser

Turris- Top three pick
Cunti- Top 12 pick
Petrecki- Top 20 pick
Nash-Top 50 pick
Katic-Top 70 pick

Nash-Turris-Cunti

Petrecki-Katic

A future top line and a second pairing. I could handle that.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:32 PM
CallMeWalter

Quote:

I just hope they don't mess up the namebar if they take Cunti . . .

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Turris- Top three pick
Cunti- Top 12 pick
Petrecki- Top 20 pick
Nash-Top 50 pick
Katic-Top 70 pick

Nash-Turris-Cunti

Petrecki-Katic

A future top line and a second pairing. I could handle that.
If that would happen, i would be estatic, we would fill up many holes in our organistion, but also give us some crazy depth. We'd end up with:

Superstar potential
Semi-superstar potential
Two-way smart player

PP QB second pairing guy
Robyn Regher beast like Shut-down guy

I'd be really happy.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

From what I've heard and Seen, Cunti will probably still be available at the Ana's pick.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Matts

Nice job by SOM, ie Senile Old Matheson

making excuses already for the Oilers in case they don't land anybody at #6 and then just for craps and giggles he throws in a "the Oilers can't get Timmonen" line which I guess means they just aren't willing to spend the money. Even though a couple of weeks ago he said they'd go to 43 or 44 mill.

Another great life in the day of an Oilers fan

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
making excuses already for the Oilers in case they don't land anybody at #6 and then just for craps and giggles he throws in a "the Oilers can't get Timmonen" line which I guess means they just aren't willing to spend the money. Even though a couple of weeks ago he said they'd go to 43 or 44 mill.

Wow, nice. So you've just kind of quit then eh?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Tyrolean

Like it or not, realistically there are going to be duds in the 1st round of every draft. I just hope the Oilers don't waste their #6 as they did in some years. This organization until last year has had some of the worst luck.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:50 PM
Magnus

Quote:

Its been stated several times before in a few threads that talk out of Philly is that they're going to go after Timmonen hard. As much money as the Oilers have to play with, the Flyers have more. Try and keep up with the conversations.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
The Rage

Quote:

The following quote is hilarious:

"Maybe I'm wrong, but has there ever been a worse trade than the Florida Panthers sending Roberto Luongo to the Vancouver Canucks for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld?"

It's too bad Matheson didn't make a similiar comment about about the Pronger trade.

The Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:57 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Its been stated several times before in a few threads that talk out of Philly is that they're going to go after Timmonen hard. As much money as the Oilers have to play with, the Flyers have more. Try and keep up with the conversations.
Sorry, I missed the fact that Timmonen signing with Philly was engraven in stone. Kind of like how Jovo was gaurunteed to go to the Panthers, right?

Old
04-01-2007, 10:02 PM
mackaveli

i just hope we draft voracek somehow. Whether we have to package 2 1sts to get him, or we can draft him with our pick, i want him badly on our team.

mackaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:14 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
i just hope we draft voracek somehow. Whether we have to package 2 1sts to get him, or we can draft him with our pick, i want him badly on our team.
I feel the same way about Turris.

04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post

"Maybe I'm wrong, but has there ever been a worse trade than the Florida Panthers sending Roberto Luongo to the Vancouver Canucks for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld?"

It's too bad Matheson didn't make a similiar comment about about the Pronger trade.
I think he's exagurating about the Luongo trade. I think Auld could be very good and Allen is, IMO, under-rated.

Old
04-01-2007, 10:17 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
YEah, I don't know what it is but I also really want Turris on the team. Wouldn't it be great if one of them fell to us at 6. Sigh, we can only dream.

Old
04-01-2007, 10:21 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Personally, my guy is Cherepanov. Never seen him play, but his numbers in a tough league are very impressive. If you can score points in the RSL, you should be able to score points in the NHL.

Old
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:

It's too bad Matheson didn't make a similar comment about about the Pronger trade.
Lots of bad trades have occurred. Remember the Phil Esposito trade? Also the Cam Neely trade? The Joe Thornton trade was pretty bad.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:27 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Lots of bad trades have occurred. Remember the Phil Esposito trade? Also the Cam Neely trade? The Joe Thornton trade was pretty bad.
Yeah, I hope Matheson was just exaggerating. Atleast Luongo was traded for legitimate NHLers. What as Naslund traded for?

Old
04-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Yeah he's the guy for me as well - and given the number of extra picks and prospects we have lying around Lowe has ZERO excuses for not getting it done. Leaks about how the Oilers TRIED to move up are unacceptable this year.

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Matts

Listen buddy..

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the fact that Timmonen signing with Philly was engraven in stone. Kind of like how Jovo was gaurunteed to go to the Panthers, right?
Kimmo's going to Philly just because they said they wanted him. That's good enough for good ole Mags so why not us

Old
04-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Matts

Yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Wow, nice. So you've just kind of quit then eh?
I haven't quit cheering for the club but I don't have a lot of hope either.

As much as I like kids like Thor and MP, a lot of the Oilers prospects lose their luster once they start playing pro hockey. They've got a tonne of young D but not one of them looks like they can excel in a top 4 role and we haven't even seen Dubnyk play a year's worth of goal in the A yet.

So that forces us to look to improve via trade or FA. The latter's out of the question because A: you'll have to overpay guys to come here and B: the fact that the Oilers are on the cheap cancels out A.

Old
04-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Giggli G

people seem to be thinking that Cherry is going to be a bit lower than originally. If we could get him, I would be stoked.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote