HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Matheson article: Some draft info

Old
04-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Hemsky4PM

vCash: 500
I just don't want to hear the phrase "two way player" associated with our top pick, unless it's Alzner or Ellerby.

We need instant offense. Pure and simple. We need a finisher. Kane, Turris, Cherepanov, Voracek and JVR seem to be good offensive players. That's who I would like to get, and in that order.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I just don't want to hear the phrase "two way player" associated with our top pick, unless it's Alzner or Ellerby.

We need instant offense. Pure and simple. We need a finisher. Kane, Turris, Cherepanov, Voracek and JVR seem to be good offensive players. That's who I would like to get, and in that order.
I am going to break your bubble big time.

"his defensive play will most likely garner the most attention come draft time as he plays a mature, responsible, and pro like two-way game"

Guess which player this comment is attributed too and I took this quote from Mckeens.

......Couture

5th best player rated in Mckeens, 7th in ISS, 6th in Redline.

Almost exactly where the Oilers are slated to pick.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:26 PM
ChrisB

Yea, Couture seems to have "Oiler draft pick" written all over him. That's not necessarily a horrible scenario for us given that he was flirting with 1st overall before he had mono and some other sort of injury. By the sounds of it he would be a Horcoff/Stoll/Pouliot style player although possibly with a slightly higher cieling.

Although truthfully, if at all humanly possible I'd prefer them to try and trade up to get one of Voraceck and Cherepanov. We need another offensive talent on this team. Hemsky being the only guy with world class skill does no do our powerplay any favours.

ChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackaveli View Post
i just hope we draft voracek somehow. Whether we have to package 2 1sts to get him, or we can draft him with our pick, i want him badly on our team.
Kevin Lowe was at the Halifax/Moncton game 6 on Friday...Voracek had an OK night, 1 helper. But it seems Lowe was specificly there to watch him.

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
Personally, my guy is Cherepanov. Never seen him play, but his numbers in a tough league are very impressive. If you can score points in the RSL, you should be able to score points in the NHL.
In the WJC he was amazing, plus he already has chem with Bumagin. Cherry I would be fine with as well. Here's my list in order that I would want them.

Turris
Cherry/Kane
Voracek/Couture
Alzner/JVR

And people writing off Couture as a 2-way guy are underestimating his offense. He is just willing to do whatever the coach asks to win, backcheck, block shots, whatever is needed. But he does have skill. He kinda sounds like Toews to me.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I am going to break your bubble big time.

"his defensive play will most likely garner the most attention come draft time as he plays a mature, responsible, and pro like two-way game"

Guess which player this comment is attributed too and I took this quote from Mckeens.

......Couture

5th best player rated in Mckeens, 7th in ISS, 6th in Redline.

Almost exactly where the Oilers are slated to pick.
Awesome, he sounds like the 2nd coming of Scott Scissons.

Sometimes I wonder if Stauffer got it right when he said that a two way hockey player is basically a guy that was never good enough to be a one way hockey player.

But then, Bob's been known to to be a bit silly...

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Stauffer got it right when he said that a two way hockey player is basically a guy that was never good enough to be a one way hockey player.

But then, Bob's been known to to be a bit silly...
Yeah. And guys in Junior like Jacques who put up points and are their teams' main scorers aren't really scorers nor drafted to be one. (They just look that way) They're really just checkers for really no defining reason other than body type.

momentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
Yea, Couture seems to have "Oiler draft pick" written all over him. That's not necessarily a horrible scenario for us given that he was flirting with 1st overall before he had mono and some other sort of injury. By the sounds of it he would be a Horcoff/Stoll/Pouliot style player although possibly with a slightly higher cieling.

Although truthfully, if at all humanly possible I'd prefer them to try and trade up to get one of Voraceck and Cherepanov. We need another offensive talent on this team. Hemsky being the only guy with world class skill does no do our powerplay any favours.
Couture's a cross between Horcoff and Savard. Someone you can rely on in both your end and the other guy's end.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Eskie Jetski

Naslund was traded for Alek Stojanov straight up.

Career stats: 2 goals, 7 points, 107 career NHL games

Picked 1st round, 7th overall in 1991, one spot after Peter Forsberg.

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Why would you add that then quote yourself?

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Eskie Jetski

I can't figure out this quote option on how to quote someone else.

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky Hemsky View Post
I can't figure out this quote option on how to quote someone else.
YOu click on the quote button on under their post.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:39 PM
hockeyaddict101

Frankly none of the draft selections really excite me.

The Oilers will get a good player and hopefully one will develop into a star but as Redline so aptly puts it in their most recent article.

As Red Line has stated before, the 2007 draft class is not a deep one, and if you want to be even mildly certain of getting a true blue chipper, you'll need to be picking among the top 10 overall.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...21_131924_5444

Prendergast was stating the obvious. There is no guarantees even picking in the 10 top that the player is a blue chipper, hopefully one will develop that way but I for one am glad Prendergast was not trying to blow sunshine up people's skirts!

Old
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:

The Oilers will get a good player and hopefully one will develop into a star but as Redline so aptly puts it in their most recent article.

As Red Line has stated before, the 2007 draft class is not a deep one, and if you want to be even mildly certain of getting a true blue chipper, you'll need to be picking among the top 10 overall.

Prendergast was stating the obvious. There is no guarantees even picking in the 10 top that the player is a blue chipper, hopefully one will develop that way but I for one am glad Prendergast was not trying to blow sunshine up people's skirts!
"As Red Line has stated before"? I find that ironic, they stated in the past that the 2007 draft would be quite deep... that was early on mind you but I'd prefer it if they stopped making asertions like that.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 05:48 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
"As Red Line has stated before"? I find that ironic, they stated in the past that the 2007 draft would be quite deep... that was early on mind you but I'd prefer it if they stopped making asertions like that.
Not surprising, scouts change their mind all the time.

A player can drop from the top 10 to a bottom feeder after one bad tournament or after a decision to want to be traded (Schremp)

In this case every scouting service is saying the same thing about this draft.

Old
04-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Sorry, I missed the fact that Timmonen signing with Philly was engraven in stone. Kind of like how Jovo was gaurunteed to go to the Panthers, right?
It's not engraven in stone, but if his choice is between Philly or Edmonton, the Flyers will have a clear advantage, unfortunately.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
It's not engraven in stone, but if his choice is between Philly or Edmonton, the Flyers will have a clear advantage, unfortunately.
Yes including the fact that the Flyers have less committed salary next year and can clearly outbid almost any NHL team because of this.

Old
04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Hemsky4PM

Fans should be prepared for disappointment on the free agency front. UFA's just don't come here and as a non-cap team the Oilers aren't likely to overpay to get players. Ray Whitney is probably the best we can hope for. I don't expect we'll be able to get any of the big name defensemen this summer and will have to trade for an upgrade.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:35 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Fans should be prepared for disappointment on the free agency front. UFA's just don't come here and as a non-cap team the Oilers aren't likely to overpay to get players. Ray Whitney is probably the best we can hope for. I don't expect we'll be able to get any of the big name defensemen this summer and will have to trade for an upgrade.
High end UFA's (for whatever the reason, Toronto can't attract any either (funny how the eastern media never talks about that ) doesn't seem to be his modus operandi.

He is under the gun though and will have to do something major IMO and has basically promissed season ticket holders that he would.

It's going to be an interesting summer.

Old
04-02-2007, 08:09 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Like it or not, realistically there are going to be duds in the 1st round of every draft. I just hope the Oilers don't waste their #6 as they did in some years. This organization until last year has had some of the worst luck.
sorry, taking Steve Kelly over Shane Doan had absolutely nothing to do with "bad luck" and everything to do with the organization being run by monkeys. sadly, you can say that about more than one draft year.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:

I don't know - Vorachek has been coming on like gangbusters since Jan 1. He took a few months to get used to N America - but in the new year he's been Player of the Week in the QMJHL twice and put up 1.47 PPG (mostly in the 2nd half of the season). He's also not shy about traffic and tough parts of the rink. Now he's leading the league in playoff scoring with 16 points in 6 playoff games. Looks pretty damn bluechip to me.....

Asiaoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil View Post
I don't know - Vorachek has been coming on like gangbusters since Jan 1. He took a few months to get used to N America - but in the new year he's been Player of the Week in the QMJHL twice and put up 1.47 PPG (mostly in the 2nd half of the season). He's also not shy about traffic and tough parts of the rink. Now he's leading the league in playoff scoring with 16 points in 6 playoff games. Looks pretty damn bluechip to me.....
He is a good player but there is no slam dunk, franchise player, guaranteed superstar. As Redline says the top three are the best bet to be blue chippers and after that... (the top three are now separating themselves from the pack)

He will also be very unlikely be available when the Oilers pick fifth or most likely sixth.

The Oilers will get a good player but with this draft there will be no guarantees, it just isn't a strong draft.

That being said, players develop at different rates. It's just more of a crapshoot this year than most years.

To be clear, I am not saying the Oiler aren't going to get a good player but in a good draft year a team picking 5th or 6th is usually getting an automatic blue chipper and that is not necessarily the case this year.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 04-02-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old
04-02-2007, 09:27 PM
McXLNC97

Quote:
Yeah, I hope Matheson was just exaggerating. Atleast Luongo was traded for legitimate NHLers. What as Naslund traded for?
Naslund was traded for Alex Stojanov, which i think is a lot worse of a trade than the Bertuzzi/Luongo trade

McXLNC97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Quote:
He is a good player but there is no slam dunk, franchise player, guaranteed superstar. As Redline says the top three are the best bet to be blue chippers and after that... (the top three are now separating themselves from the pack)

He will also be very unlikely be available when the Oilers pick fifth or most likely sixth.

The Oilers will get a good player but with this draft there will be no guarantees, it just isn't a strong draft.

That being said, players develop at different rates. It's just more of a crapshoot this year than most years.

To be clear, I am not saying the Oiler aren't going to get a good player but in a good draft year a team picking 5th or 6th is usually getting an automatic blue chipper and that is not necessarily the case this year.
I don't know, honestly, if what prednergast says is true, I think this is probably just a "below average" year in terms of drafting. Having this many picks, even if the prospects are uncertain, still helps us a great deal and is, IMO a reason to be optimistic.

barrel_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:58 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I'd like the Oil to move up to top three:

Turris is my pick.

fallback - Voracek

Ellerby with the Isles pick

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote