HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Kelley: More Oiler hate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-01-2007, 01:31 PM
  #1
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C
 
The Last Dynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,812
vCash: 500
Jim Kelley: More Oiler hate

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...01_111630_4684

I do agree that one of the main reasons we can't attract player is because we don't win BUT why do sports writers have to bring up the same crap EVERY time they talk about the Oilers?

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:32 PM
  #2
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Because they see a chance to pile on, so the all do.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:35 PM
  #3
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Meh. He's writing for an audience that hasn't been in the same area code of the Stanley Cup since black and white television. There are some things in there that are correct (Nashville IS a better run organization) but I'd really like to know if he researched the part about the Oilers getting revenue from the Curling Championships. I've never read that, but the article implied it.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:41 PM
  #4
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,823
vCash: 81
You know, this kinda annoys me, i mean, come on, you have a right to your opinion, but someone tell me how this isn't blatently one-sided. Comparing Nashville to Edmonton and then saying flat-out Edmonton sucks, thats brutal. I know this maybe little thing, but it really irks me, they ignore stuff like how many players would take a salary cut to stay here, or people have cried hen leaving. I dunno, it irks me.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:43 PM
  #5
CallMeWalter
 
CallMeWalter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
The piece by Kelley, who is a respected writer of considerable credentials, sounds pretty close to me.

Not sure about the curling revenue reference, but the tone and content of what he's saying couldn't be described as a factless, over-the-top swipe at Edmonton. It rings true, even if we don't want to hear it . . . again.

CallMeWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:46 PM
  #6
hillbillypriest
Registered User
 
hillbillypriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: there there
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Because they see a chance to pile on, so the all do.
Kelley's now on my ignore list. I gotta hand it to Sportsnet. They sure have their heads up their ***** when it comes to choosing commentators with such a propensity to continuously insult one of their best markets.

In the long run, although I'd obviously rather be a Nashville fan this year, in the long run I would take Edmonton's "problems" over Nashville's in a second. The bottom line is that even if Edmonton were the armpit of the earth, it won't matter because players with pretty short windows to make their maximum lifetime earnings as professional hockey players are going to go where the dollars are.

Anyway, for the record, I don't think Nashville will make it past the first round this year, let alone win the Stanley cup. I guess we'll see. Also for the record, Edmonton will ice a competitive roster next year and Lowe will have a productive summer with his best moves being made after July 15th. Cap issues are going to be huge this summer, and assessments of the Oilers future prospect based on their current run to a sixth or better draft position are absolutely ridiculous IMO.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
  #7
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Probably the hardest thing about being a professional writer is coming up with interesting story lines. Hacks regurgitate better writer's storylines because they cannot come up with any of their own. Kelley is just a hack. That's all.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
  #8
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Kelley's now on my ignore list. I gotta hand it to Sportsnet. They sure have their heads up their ***** when it comes to choosing commentators with such a propensity to continuously insult one of their best markets.

In the long run, although I'd obviously rather be a Nashville fan this year, in the long run I would take Edmonton's "problems" over Nashville's in a second. The bottom line is that even if Edmonton were the armpit of the earth, it won't matter because players with pretty short windows to make their maximum lifetime earnings as professional hockey players are going to go where the dollars are.

Anyway, for the record, I don't think Nashville will make it past the first round this year, let alone win the Stanley cup. I guess we'll see. Also for the record, Edmonton will ice a competitive roster next year and Lowe will have a productive summer with his best moves being made after July 15th. Cap issues are going to be huge this summer, and assessments of the Oilers future prospect based on their current run to a sixth or better draft position are absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Well the thing I don't get, they forget that even if Nashville wins the cup, no there will even remember that it happened in August.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:05 PM
  #9
D B
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeWalter View Post
The piece by Kelley, who is a respected writer of considerable credentials, sounds pretty close to me.

Not sure about the curling revenue reference, but the tone and content of what he's saying couldn't be described as a factless, over-the-top swipe at Edmonton. It rings true, even if we don't want to hear it . . . again.
Kelley is far from a respected writer of considerable credentials. He's just a hack that basically copied and pasted his article from other Edmonton bashing articles. Respectable writers usually come up with their own ideas.

D B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:11 PM
  #10
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,904
vCash: 500
So everyone won't sign in Edmonton because they can't win, but everyone and their dog is going to sign in Philly after their great season!

Players will go where money is. End of story! Philly will sign the players because they have the money this year to outbid everybody, the players won't care that they finished in last place in the NHL.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
  #11
AM
Registered User
 
AM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,890
vCash: 500
honestly

if the Oilers are getting money from curling...

It just means they can probably afford a better team next year.

Maybe thats why hes upset?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:28 PM
  #12
Pouzar
Registered User
 
Pouzar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 591
vCash: 500
I dunno, seems fine by me. Until the Oilers sign and retain a top free agent, it's fair game.

Pouzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 02:40 PM
  #13
hillbillypriest
Registered User
 
hillbillypriest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: there there
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouzar View Post
I dunno, seems fine by me. Until the Oilers sign and retain a top free agent, it's fair game.
Fair enough, but since it's not possible to sign ANY free agents until after July 1, IMO Kelley is gratuitously piling on. At the base of what Kelley wrote is that Edmonton THE PLACE is not attractive. Anyway you slice it, that is an insult to the people who live there, who somehow don't seem to have the same hangups about living in Edmonton that his anonymous hockey players do. In having its people cavalierly take shots at the fans in a key market, Sportsnet is IMO being very disrespectful to its customers. I think that's pretty idiotic.

If you can't say something nice....

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
  #14
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
It's a good article and asks some fair questions. We have long suffering fans (I got here right after the glory years) and deserve a team we can be proud of, at least compete every night with.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
  #15
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
It's a good article and asks some fair questions. We have long suffering fans (I got here right after the glory years) and deserve a team we can be proud of, at least compete every night with.
I disagree. All but two of those years are due to a CBA which saw about 22 out of 30teams lose money every year. I do not consider that to be the fault of anybody in this organization or this city.

Of the two years of the new CBA we went to within a game of winning another cup. This year we are down and the kicking has started.

These stories keep coming out of Toronto because they were one of the teams that could afford to compete economically and acheive a modicum of success as long as they were allowed to spend two dollars for every dollar most of the other teams could afford to spend. They are still bitter that that advantage has been taken away and see Edmonton as the poster boy for the change that took place. Bitter old men who can't remember the last time their team got to win it all. Nothing any deeper to it.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:52 PM
  #16
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
These stories are coming out

because they are true.

And I think the piling on's coming about because people are asking themselves, "if you're gonna cheap on Smyth then who in the **** WILL you pay top dollar.

Matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:58 PM
  #17
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
because they are true.

And I think the piling on's coming about because people are asking themselves, "if you're gonna cheap on Smyth then who in the **** WILL you pay top dollar.
So what would you have given Smyth?

And do you think the Oilers are the only franchise that will be in this situation at some point?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:24 PM
  #18
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So what would you have given Smyth?

And do you think the Oilers are the only franchise that will be in this situation at some point?
The problem with this article is that now Lowe is going to have even more trouble signing UFAs. Lowe is trying to sign UFAs and clowns like Kelly are trying to destroy that chance. Do you think any player will want to sign in Edmonton now with Kelly bad mouthing the Oilers once again. I don't.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
  #19
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
The problem with this article is that now Lowe is going to have even more trouble signing UFAs. Lowe is trying to sign UFAs and clowns like Kelly are trying to destroy that chance. Do you think any player will want to sign in Edmonton now with Kelly bad mouthing the Oilers once again. I don't.
I do, because Kevin Lowe and the Oilers didn't Make Pronger puss out, they didn't cause all the injuries, they didn't make Smyth turn down, what I feel is a good and fair offer. Look, is it tough for the Oilers, yes, but does every UFA in the league look at the Oilers like a colony of leppers, no.

I find it's guys from down east, who hate the Oilers from way back, and now they see their chance to pile on and are taking it.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:34 PM
  #20
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
What I find interesting is that of all the Canadian franchises, it seems like the Oilers get slammed by the media more than every other franchise combined, to the point where it's getting flat out ridiculous.

There's definitely an agenda at work here.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:35 PM
  #21
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-townchamps View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...01_111630_4684

I do agree that one of the main reasons we can't attract player is because we don't win BUT why do sports writers have to bring up the same crap EVERY time they talk about the Oilers?
Because it's true?

He makes some very good points (aside from Smyth trying to "get the heck out of town," that's very arguable), but he's right about one thing: That nobody in the media has the balls to call a spade a spade, which is to say that Edmonton is near the bottom of the heap in terms of desireable places to ply the professional hockey trade.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
  #22
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,550
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Because it's true?
You figure, I'm shocked you would draw this conclusion on your own.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:41 PM
  #23
oilers shrine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
because they are true.

And I think the piling on's coming about because people are asking themselves, "if you're gonna cheap on Smyth then who in the **** WILL you pay top dollar.

Danny Briere.

oilers shrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:42 PM
  #24
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
Because it's true?

He makes some very good points (aside from Smyth trying to "get the heck out of town," that's very arguable), but he's right about one thing: That nobody in the media has the balls to call a spade a spade, which is to say that Edmonton is near the bottom of the heap in terms of desireable places to ply the professional hockey trade.
It depends which media you're talking about...any media outside of Edmonton city limits will gladly yell from the rooftops about how Edmonton is the armpit of the NHL and that the league as a whole would be better off if that franchise got moved or folded altogether.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 04:51 PM
  #25
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
It depends which media you're talking about...any media outside of Edmonton city limits will gladly yell from the rooftops about how Edmonton is the armpit of the NHL and that the league as a whole would be better off if that franchise got moved or folded altogether.
Well you are right about that. And I'm sure there is some degree of resentment from eastern media that the Leafs, Habs or the Sens didn't catch fire and almost win the Cup last year so the issue is being hyped outside Edmonton.

But the bottom line is Edmonton media, for some reason, can't seem to distance themselves from the fishbowl and take stock of what's going on and how the city/organization is perceived league-wide.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.