HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rafalski and Gomez

Old
04-01-2007, 10:22 PM
hyperboy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
Rafalski and Gomez

as far as i'm concerned as soon either of the these guys hit ufa status we should make bids.
Rafalski-pronger money
Gomez- ?(what do you guys think)
who would be more vavluable for us next year

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Gomez will get 6 mil a year IMO. Rafalski getting Pronger money? You're probably right about that, 18.6 over 3 years(something like that). I believe Jersey will re-sign Rafalski, let Gomez walk, and go hard after another d-man(maybe Hannan who will get around 3+ if you consider the fact that McKee got 4 mil a year), and bring in a 2nd line veteran centre(maybe hard after a guy like Handzus).

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Metzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Gomez will get 6 mil a year IMO.
Gomez gets Smyth money? Who'd you rather have on your team?

Metzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
hyperboy

Send a message via MSN to hyperboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzen View Post
Gomez gets Smyth money? Who'd you rather have on your team?
smyth said 5.5-5.7 mil not six

hyperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:13 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

What's the point of having Gomez when you have Hemsky?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:24 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
What's the point of having Pronger when you have Niedermayer?

To kick more ass.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:36 PM
BloodOfOil

Quote:
You definelty have a good point there but remmeber we have so many wingers that need good setup man. and we cant have 5 wingers all with hemmer can we.

so yea we need gomez to spark the likes of lupul, torres etc

yea well back to the point. if we get gomez itll be at least at 5.5 mill a year. <thats if he agrees to a discount cause of the shabby state hes been playing this year>

rafalski would most definelty resign and even if he didnt the're would be a total bidware going for him...we dont have the money to participate in that war.

BloodOfOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

To kick more ass.
Beautifully said, comrade.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Hemsky4PM

I believe that a top end center is a greater need than a defenseman. I'm not terrified of starting the season with Smith, Staios, Grebeshkov, Smid, Greene and Gilbert. But having scoring wingers playing with 3rd line centers isn't going to work.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
are you kidding?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

To kick more ass.
Best post you've ever had.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:56 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
I believe that a top end center is a greater need than a defenseman. I'm not terrified of starting the season with Smith, Staios, Grebeshkov, Smid, Greene and Gilbert. But having scoring wingers playing with 3rd line centers isn't going to work.
The season isnt even over yet and you have already forgotten how we to to where we are now? Say what you want about Horc, but our biggest need is D. Lowe made the mistake of going in to this season with big holes in our D and he won't make that mistake again.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
The season isnt even over yet and you have already forgotten how we to to where we are now? Say what you want about Horc, but our biggest need is D. Lowe made the mistake of going in to this season with big holes in our D and he won't make that mistake again.
I agree, number 1 C is overrated, how many teams have a number 1 that is no better than horc or stoll?? Quite a few teams if you care to look. We need a D man. Besides all that beind said I am not even that sure Gomez is better than horc, take away Elias and see how he does. Not saying he won't do well, just saying I don't know.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I agree, number 1 C is overrated, how many teams have a number 1 that is no better than horc or stoll?? Quite a few teams if you care to look. We need a D man. Besides all that beind said I am not even that sure Gomez is better than horc, take away Elias and see how he does. Not saying he won't do well, just saying I don't know.
Not EVERY team has a better centerman than both of these guys, but I could probably name 30 centermen I would take definetly over Horcoff, and probably over Stoll.

Old
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Before the injuries this team was still in contention for a playoff spot. I think the big mistake may have been overrating our forwards. Horcoff can't produce unless he plays with Hemsky. Sykora...same deal. Lupul and Torres need a play maker to be effective. Our defense would certainly not have been strong, but would have been OK if it were Staios, Smid, Smith, Tjarnqvist, Greene and Hejda.

Old
04-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Not EVERY team has a better centerman than both of these guys, but I could probably name 30 centermen I would take definetly over Horcoff, and probably over Stoll.
Let's give it a shot!

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Lecavalier
Richards
Gomez
Briere
Sundin
Marleau
Forsberg
Savard
Sedin
Spezza
Jokinen
Sakic
Stastny
Kopitar
Datsyuk
E. Staal
Brind'Amour
Cammalerri
MacDonald
Langkow
Drury
P. Bergeron
Nylander
Koivu
Getzlaf
Modano

Right at around 30 you get into the Horcoff territory, along with Legwand, Straka, Weight, Parise, Horton. And those players are better offensively than Horcoff.

Of note, San Jose, Tampa, Buffalo, Anaheim, Boston, Los Angeles, Carolina, Colorado and Pittsburgh all have 2 centers who are better than anything the Oilers have. 5 of those 9 teams are playoff bound, two of them will barely miss, and the others are Los Angeles and Boston.

Old
04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I agree, number 1 C is overrated, how many teams have a number 1 that is no better than horc or stoll?? Quite a few teams if you care to look.
I count 4. 5 tops

Anaheim - Andy McDonald
Atlanta - Keith Tkachuk
Boston - Marc Savard
Buffalo - Daniel Briere
Calgary - Daymond Langkow
Carolina - Rod Brind'Amour
Chicago - Michael Handzus
Colorado - Joe Sakic
Columbus - Sergei Fedorov
Dallas - Mike Modano
Detroit - Pavel Datsyuk
Florida - Olli Jokinen
LA - Michael Cammalleri
Minnesota - Pavol Demitra
Montreal - Saku Koivu
Nashville - Peter Forsberg
New Jersey - Scott Gomez
NYI - Alexei Yashin
NYR - Michael Nylander
Ottawa - Jason Spezza
Philadelphia - Jeff Carter
Phoenix - Steven Reinprecht
Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby
San Jose - Joe Thornton
St. Louis - Doug Weight
Tampa Bay - Vincent Lecavalier
Toronto - Mats Sundin
Vancouver - Henrik Sedin
Washington - N/A

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:12 PM
BloodOfOil

back to the point i think rafalski is definelty more needed. like someone said. we need to build from the net out. scoring is not the problem...being scored upon is. remember teams like calgary, and nj which can win one goal games. winning is winning...doesnt matter if its by one goal or 10. we still get 2 points. we need to solidify our d first before we move on to upgrade offensively. and anyways we have so many centres in our system that have the potential to become top notch centres that we dont really have to get a number one centre right away. although molding them will take time...we have the time. we're in the middle of rebuilding.

BloodOfOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Let's give it a shot!

Crosby
Malkin
Thornton
Lecavalier
Richards
Gomez
Briere
Sundin
Marleau
Forsberg
Savard
Sedin
Spezza
Jokinen
Sakic
Stastny
Kopitar
Datsyuk
E. Staal
Brind'Amour
Cammalerri
MacDonald
Langkow
Drury
P. Bergeron
Nylander
Koivu
Getzlaf
Modano

Right at around 30 you get into the Horcoff territory, along with Legwand, Straka, Weight, Parise, Horton. And those players are better offensively than Horcoff.

Of note, San Jose, Tampa, Buffalo, Anaheim, Boston, Los Angeles, Carolina, Colorado and Pittsburgh all have 2 centers who are better than anything the Oilers have. 5 of those 9 teams are playoff bound, two of them will barely miss, and the others are Los Angeles and Boston.
Have you watched a Habs game recently? Koivu blows. If he didnt have so much baggage with that team, he wouldnt be so revered. Give me Horc any day.

Old
04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Metzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboy View Post
smyth said 5.5-5.7 mil not six
Would you rather save $300K and take Smyth over Gomez?

Metzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Have you watched a Habs game recently? Koivu blows. If he didnt have so much baggage with that team, he wouldnt be so revered. Give me Horc any day.
Have you seen Horcoff this year... Koivu has a good chance to match career highs in goals, assists, and points. His +/- really blows, but so does nearly everyones on the Habs.

Old
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Have you seen Horcoff this year... Koivu has a good chance to match career highs in goals, assists, and points. His +/- really blows, but so does nearly everyones on the Habs.
I never said Horc was a first line centre. Just that if I had my choice between Koivu and Horc, I will take Horc. He is a more complete player IMO.

And as for Koivu's point total this year, take away all the PP points (especially the assists he has leached off of Souray and Markov) and he is having a mediocre year.

Anyways, doesn't matter. Point is, there are a ton of C that are better than both Horc and Koivu. A pissing match for who has the more futile first line C is pointless.

Old
04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
fedabiblio

Strictly sticking with a UFA attitude, I'm curious as to what other posters, my long time boys Cerebral, Lowetide,Jadedog, Oil'Say (guy rules) and whomever thinks what our actual need really is? To me, being a non-subscribing centre ice BC boy whom gets the odd HNIC game (damned Leafs), and the seldom Van/Oil game (fun times here, I love it, moreso last year ) "the oilers are on hnic this weekend? sweet!! Hey you wanna get drunk dude and watch some sweet hockey?" From everything I've seen we lack puck moving D. It's blatantly obvious. I believe we have the skill and speed up front to do some damage, we really need more D that can translate that up ice pass into odd man scoring opportunity's. I'm not saying we should pass up the opportunity to nab a Gomez, I've always coveted him in Oiler silks, but I believe our main need is puck moving D and Lowe should address this need before any other. Edit can't forget Oilers Guy Eddie, and of course Guy Flaming. I love you Guy.

fedabiblio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedabiblio View Post
Strictly sticking with a UFA attitude, I'm curious as to what other posters, my long time boys Cerebral, Lowetide,Jadedog, Oil'Say (guy rules) and whomever thinks what our actual need really is? To me, being a non-subscribing centre ice BC boy whom gets the odd HNIC game (damned Leafs), and the seldom Van/Oil game (fun times here, I love it, moreso last year ) "the oilers are on hnic this weekend? sweet!! Hey you wanna get drunk dude and watch some sweet hockey?" From everything I've seen we lack puck moving D. It's blatantly obvious. I believe we have the skill and speed up front to do some damage, we really need more D that can translate that up ice pass into odd man scoring opportunity's. I'm not saying we should pass up the opportunity to nab a Gomez, I've always coveted him in Oiler silks, but I believe our main need is puck moving D and Lowe should address this need before any other. Edit can't forget Oilers Guy Eddie, and of course Guy Flaming. I love you Guy.
Dude, you're on more drugs than Bob Ross.

Old
04-02-2007, 10:31 PM
RiversQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ext View Post
Beautifully said, comrade.
Comrie was right.

RiversQ is offline   Reply With Quote