HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

player poll results

Old
04-01-2007, 11:42 PM
LUPS_15*

vCash: 500
player poll results

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/news...p?idNews=24100

If you could play for any NHL team (other than your own), which would you choose?
1) Toronto Maple Leafs (34) 14.4%
2) New York Rangers (29) 12.3%
3) Detroit Red Wings (19) 8%
4) Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks (18) 7.6%
5) Dallas Stars (15) 6.3%
6) Colorado Avalanche and Montreal Canadiens (14) 5.9%
7) Minnesota Wild and Tampa Bay Lightning (10) 4.2%
8) Phoenix Coyotes (9) 3.8%
9) Calgary Flames (8) 3.4%
10) Anaheim Ducks and Florida Panthers (5) 2.1%
11) Nashville Predators, Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins (4) 1.7%
12) Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Flyers and San Jose Sharks (3) 1.2%
13) Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres (2) 0.85%
14) Carolina Hurricane and Edmonton Oilers (1) 0.42%

To what city would you least like to be traded?
1) Buffalo Sabres (40) 16%
2) Edmonton Oilers (28) 11.2%
3) New York Islanders (24) 9.6%
4) Pittsburgh Penguins (18) 7.2%
5) Florida Panthers (17) 6.8%
6) Carolina Hurricanes and St. Louis Blues (13) 5.2%
7) Washington Capitals (12) 4.8%
8) New Jersey Devils and New York Rangers (9) 3.6%
9) Columbus Blue Jackets and Montreal Canadiens (8) 3.2%
10) Calgary Flames (7) 2.8%
11) Chicago Blackhawks and Detroit Red Wings (6) 2.4%
12) Nashville Predators (5) 2%
13) Los Angeles Kings and Ottawa Senators (4) 1.6%
14) Philadelphia Flyers and Phoenix Coyotes (3) 1.2%
15) Atlanta Thrashers, Minnesota Wild, San Jose Sharks and Toronto Maple Leafs (2) 0.8%
16) Anaheim Ducks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning (1) 0.4%

What is the toughest building to play in on the road?
1) Detroit Red Wings (41) 16.4%
2) Calgary Flames (37) 14.8%
3) Montreal Canadiens (25) 10%
4) San Jose Sharks (21) 8.4%
5) Philadelphia Flyers (14) 5.6%
6) Toronto Maple Leafs (13) 5.2%
7) Edmonton Oilers and New Jersey Devils (12) 4.8%
8) Ottawa Senators (9) 3.6%
9) Buffalo Sabres, Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators (7) 2.8%
10) Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers (6) 2.4%
11) Anaheim Ducks and Pittsburgh Penguins (5) 2%
12) Tampa Bay Lightning (4) 1.6%
13) Vancouver Canucks (3) 1.2%
14) Carolina Hurricanes and Washington Capitals (2) 0.8%
15) Atlanta Thrashers, Chicago Blackhawks, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Los Angeles Kings (1) 0.4%

Which NHL arena has the best ice?
1) Edmonton (152) 58.4%
2) Calgary (22) 8.5%
3) Montreal (21) 8.1%
4) Detroit (13) 5%
5) Minnesota and Toronto (9) 3.5%
6) Carolina (6) 2.3%
7) Ottawa and Vancouver (5) 1.9%
8) Pittsburgh (4) 1.5%
9) Buffalo and Colorado (3) 1.2%
10) Nashville (2) 0.77%
11) Atlanta, Boston, Columbus, Dallas, Los Angeles and Philadelphia (1) 0.38%

LUPS_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:44 PM
JDubs

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=362938

don't worry about it though, I don't really have a life and am on my computer 24/7

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM
metallicat

I bet Patrick Stefan picked Edmonton for best ice...

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I bet Patrick Stefan picked Edmonton for best ice...
lol.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 01:48 AM
JJonn

eh, not a whole pile of players voted on the questions though. The article says ~280 players were polled, but most of the questions have like 170 total votes. Far from the ~800 active NHLers.

I also don't see how Philadephia came out as the 5th "toughest building to play in on the road"?? The Flyers have only won 9 home games all year, it doesn't make any sense.

JJonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:20 AM
hockeyaddict101

No one wants to be traded to Edmonton as of March 28th. No kidding Sherlock

The Buffalo angle is interesting though. One of the top teams in the NHL. That is interesting.

Interesting that all the bottom teams in the standings are on the "least teams you would want to play for".

Excepting the Buffalo angle which I found interesting this poll is useless. No one wants to play for the bottom teams in the standings. Really, shocker!

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Look at where Philly and Edmonton ended up.

Philly is known as a city players like to play for normally.

Edmonton and Philly are where in the standings?

This poll is useless!

HA101... why do you get so defensive when anything bad is said against the organization? We are all fans here but, that is a poll reporting the thoughts of 280+ NHLers... take it for what its worth, which isnt a whole lot as money would change their minds quickly, but to dismiss it as useless simply because Edmonton and Philly aren't getting any love is pretty typical of your stance on all subjects pertaining to the Oilers on these boards. of course followed by the exclamation point.

dynastydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:34 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastydays View Post
HA101... why do you get so defensive when anything bad is said against the organization? We are all fans here but, that is a poll reporting the thoughts of 280+ NHLers... take it for what its worth, which isnt a whole lot as money would change their minds quickly, but to dismiss it as useless simply because Edmonton and Philly aren't getting any love is pretty typical of your stance on all subjects pertaining to the Oilers on these boards. of course followed by the exclamation point.
If I really go upset about every negative thing I would be on this board constantly defending it.

But this poll is not scientifically sound for ANY team.

Note that many teams wanted to play for Colorado but no one wanted to be traded there. No kidding, they are not going to make the playoffs!

The Hockey News has went so downhill and this poll is another example.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:39 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
If I really go upset about every negative thing I would be on this board constantly defending it.

But this poll is not scientifically sound for ANY team.

Note that many teams wanted to play for Colorado but no one wanted to be traded there. No kidding, they are not going to make the playoffs!

The Hockey News has went so downhill and this poll is another example.
... !

So THN's futility has skewed the players opinions? Accept it. What else can THN do other than ask the players to use a checkbox and return their votes?

Wheres the science? Do we need to cross reference their heritage and childhood memories against the correlation between the frequency that people pick cities beginning with E instead of N ?

Its a players poll, with very basic questions. It's not something based on intelligence or conceptual understanding.

Old
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
JDubs

Quote:
... !

So THN's futility has skewed the players opinions? Accept it. What else can THN do other than ask the players to use a checkbox and return their votes?

Wheres the science? Do we need to cross reference their heritage and childhood memories against the correlation between the frequency that people pick cities beginning with E instead of N ?

Its a players poll, with very basic questions. It's not something based on intelligence or conceptual understanding.
The thing is, I'm assuming this poll was taken well into the season and standings are going to skew the data and players responses. If this had been taken at the start of the year I'm sure you would see much different results, and even moreso if they had been taken a day after game 7. Of course this means that some fanbase will feel like their team got jilted with every poll that's taken...

JDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
... !

Then why bother?

You have covered my whole point with one sentence.

This is why I don't buy the Hockey News anymore.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubs View Post
The thing is, I'm assuming this poll was taken well into the season and standings are going to skew the data and players responses. If this had been taken at the start of the year I'm sure you would see much different results, and even moreso if they had been taken a day after game 7. Of course this means that some fanbase will feel like their team got jilted with every poll that's taken...
Oh of course, i agree... to what magnitude is debateable. however regarding the poll as useless is pretty nonsensical.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:09 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Then why bother?

You have covered my whole point with one sentence.

This is why I don't buy the Hockey News anymore.

Its their opinion on the questions, which counts. You claimed it was useless... which makes no sense as its a freakin opinion poll of 280+ nhlers. its not meant to develop real estate property values or anything, its their opinions on human interest questions...

and you once again were obviously offended by it, got your back up and disregarded it as nonsense.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Its their opinion on the questions, which counts. You claimed it was useless... which makes no sense as its a freakin opinion poll of 280+ nhlers. its not meant to develop real estate property values or anything, its their opinions on human interest questions...

and you once again were obviously offended by it, got your back up and disregarded it as nonsense.
So you admit that is is pretty stupid but then say it is nonsense that I disregard it?

Yeah, ok.

Lets just say I will continue to think the poll is useless and continue not to buy the Hockey News.

Old
04-02-2007, 12:29 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
So you admit that is is pretty stupid but then say it is nonsense that I disregard it?

Yeah, ok.

Lets just say I will continue to think the poll is useless and continue not to buy the Hockey News.
uh that makes no sense. read my post again.

I never expect you to accept anything thats remotely anti-oilers. Its not your gig. I just thought i would point out how silly this particular instance really is.

Old
04-02-2007, 06:04 PM
canadave

Just because a poll was taken of 280 NHLers doesn't make it valid or useful. Opinion polls are nice, but unless this poll had some scientific validation as a survey, the results are only minimally useful if we're trying to determine how NHL players as a group think about certain things. In HA's defence, I think that was the only point he was trying to make.

However, if we're conceding that the THN poll was unscientific, then the results are entertaining at least, if nothing else.

Personally, I would be highly uninclined to use the results to draw any real-life conclusions. I'm not sure how seriously 280 NHL players would take the questions, as evidenced by the "Cam Janssen" and "Women" answers.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
fong p88

My favorite part:

Who is the best player in the NHL this season?
1) Sidney Crosby (144) 56%
2) Joe Thornton (20) 7.7%
3) Vincent Lecavalier (14) 5.4%
4) Marian Hossa (13) 5%
5) Nicklas Lidstrom (12) 4.6%
6) Martin Brodeur, Alexander Ovechkin and Roberto Luongo (8) 3.1%
7) Teemu Selanne and Martin St. Louis (4) 1.5%
8) Daniel Briere and Jaromir Jagr (3) 1.16%
9) Peter Forsberg, Evgeni Malkin Scott Niedermayer (2) 0.77%
10) Erik Cole, Pavel Datsyuk, Rory Fitzpatrick, Eric Goddard, Josh Green, Jarome Iginla, Mike Modano, Ryan Miller, Brian Rolston and Henrik Zetterberg (1) 0.38%

fong p88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Just because a poll was taken of 280 NHLers doesn't make it valid or useful. Opinion polls are nice, but unless this poll had some scientific validation as a survey, the results are only minimally useful if we're trying to determine how NHL players as a group think about certain things. In HA's defence, I think that was the only point he was trying to make.

However, if we're conceding that the THN poll was unscientific, then the results are entertaining at least, if nothing else.

Personally, I would be highly uninclined to use the results to draw any real-life conclusions. I'm not sure how seriously 280 NHL players would take the questions, as evidenced by the "Cam Janssen" and "Women" answers.
Yes you hit my point on the head.

Just because I don't want to comment in most of the Oilers are awful posts (basically there is not any material in any of them that hasn't been covered ad-nauseum, and that doesn't mean all the negative posts are wrong, but I have nothing new to add) does not make this poll any more useful or scientific.

Old
04-03-2007, 10:42 AM
canadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong p88 View Post
My favorite part:

Who is the best player in the NHL this season?
1) Sidney Crosby (144) 56%
2) Joe Thornton (20) 7.7%
3) Vincent Lecavalier (14) 5.4%
4) Marian Hossa (13) 5%
5) Nicklas Lidstrom (12) 4.6%
6) Martin Brodeur, Alexander Ovechkin and Roberto Luongo (8) 3.1%
7) Teemu Selanne and Martin St. Louis (4) 1.5%
8) Daniel Briere and Jaromir Jagr (3) 1.16%
9) Peter Forsberg, Evgeni Malkin Scott Niedermayer (2) 0.77%
10) Erik Cole, Pavel Datsyuk, Rory Fitzpatrick, Eric Goddard, Josh Green, Jarome Iginla, Mike Modano, Ryan Miller, Brian Rolston and Henrik Zetterberg (1) 0.38%
Exactly. That proves that while the survey may have *some* merit as an indicator of NHL players' beliefs, and maybe even more merit as being pure entertainment, it's not a scientifically valid or rigorous survey which can be used to draw firm conclusions about how NHL players feel about things.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Digger12

That the players polled voted overwhelmingly that Rexall's ice was the best in the NHL tells me that this poll was dominated by players that probably have only skated on it once in the past 3 years, or are just going on reputation.

As for the rest, well it's not exactly earth shattering news. It's not like we haven't beaten the "Edmonton is a UFA pariah" angle to death and back since last summer.

I still wish Rauol would give up the dirt on which player voted Edmonton as his next favourite destination, though.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Exactly. That proves that while the survey may have *some* merit as an indicator of NHL players' beliefs, and maybe even more merit as being pure entertainment, it's not a scientifically valid or rigorous survey which can be used to draw firm conclusions about how NHL players feel about things.
Lets put it this way. Its an opinion poll of 280+ NHLers that give their opinion on an array of non-scientific questions. Hodo we make it a scientific poll then?

As in all polls, you get deviants from the normal responses, but trends in voting tend to accurately relate the current attitudes and views towards the topics covered in said poll.

Its really basic stuff, and yes its dependent on the current issues/situations/environment. However it is hardly useless, because its not trying to be something that you are attempting to hold it up against.

Its a public opinion poll, or in this case, a players opinion poll.

Albeit for HA101 to tell them their answers are useless.

Old
04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
copperandblue

Quote:

I think they could have done a more comprehensive job with the survey and if they did it would probably be viewed as a more reliable measure.

Even with a more indepth method the order of the rankings may very well have stayed the same but atleast it would give a better true measure of where the cities rank.

For example, 249 players responded to the To what city would you least like to be traded? question.

Instead of asking that question, why not have the players rank their cities of choice from #1 -#30?

For example;

Of the 249 players that responded, 209 players didn't pick Buffalo as the city they least want to play in so where does Buffalo rank for those guys? As an example let's say Buffalo is on average #6 on the list for alot of these guys, the city as an overall choice could very well be higher up the rankings if for another example the 241 that didn't select Columbus were still averaging Columbus in the #20 spot.

A weighted total ranking is the only true measure, otherwise there is too much room for personal grudges and uninformed reputation to skew the results.

That said, if the Hockey News asked such involved questions on their surveys they probably wouldn't get any responses and they wouldn't have a survey to publish.

Last edited by copperandblue: 04-03-2007 at 11:50 AM.
copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
dynastydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I think they could have done a more comprehensive job with the survey and if they did it would probably be viewed as a more reliable measure.

Even with a more indepth method the order of the rankings may very well have stayed the same but atleast it would give a better true measure of where the cities rank.

For example, 249 players responded to the To what city would you least like to be traded? question.

Instead of asking that question, why not have the players rank their cities of choice from #1 -#30?

For example;

Of the 249 players that responded, 209 players didn't pick Buffalo as the city they least want to play in so where does Buffalo rank for those guys? As an example let's say Buffalo is on average #6 on the list for alot of these guys, the city as an overall choice could very well be higher up the rankings if for another example the 241 that didn't select Columbus were still averaging Columbus in the #20 spot.

A weighted total ranking is the only true measure, otherwise there is too much room for personal grudges and uninformed reputation to skew the results.

That said, if the Hockey News asked such involved questions on their surveys they probably wouldn't get any responses and they wouldn't have a survey to publish.
You definitely need to take it for what its worth... of the light reading material variety. Yes it is representing itself as a reflection of the views of the NHL players (which it is) and doesn't offer much context as to why or how players made these decisions. However, when the players freely make selections based on rather simple questions, based on whatever truths or biases they may posess, then it is in the very least somewhat represnetative of the views out there. It was a fairly large percentage of NHLers that participated as well, more than most opinion polls would collect I think.

Its definitely not 'useless' in the context of making it erroneous. Probably in the context of projecting UFA movement this spring sure... but thats not the point of my contention here.